News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)  (Read 62761 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2016, 11:06:40 am »
Yeah, by now my process begins with recoloring, brightening/darkening, and changing the saturation of the source artwork before I even convert to the palette. Making sure I get as much use out of the palette as I can, and that I lose as little detail as possible.
That's a really good method too, I used that for the latest Soma portrait I posted and was very happy with the result.
Screwing around with the Saturation, Brightness and Contrast for the source drawing before copying it to the indexed palette image is a really good option and I highly encourage using it.
I think they probably want to know the exact dimensions for the portrait sprites. That would be useful info.
The dimensions are different for each portrait.
Although you don't really have to worry about that if you grab the DoS Portraits.rar file I posted in that link.
If you work over those you can clearly see the dimensions and border limit of each sprite, so all you need to know is simply fit it to that frame/border (it is different for each pose/portrait).

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2016, 11:13:29 am »
Some minor stuff that might still need to be done?
  • Soma’s portrait in the menu — is that a separate graphic, or just the regular portraits?
  • The Julius/Alucard/Yoko hud icons during Julius mode.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2016, 01:03:23 pm »
Some minor stuff that might still need to be done?
  • Soma’s portrait in the menu — is that a separate graphic, or just the regular portraits?
  • The Julius/Alucard/Yoko hud icons during Julius mode.
I think the Menu's portrait is basically the same one used for the text boxes.
As for the icons in Julius mode, I did think about those but I haven't taken the time to actually look for them in the ROM.

Let me put the Soma portrait and the Yoko portrait we have into the game.
I'll test them out and see if they indeed share the same image or if it's located somewhere else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Huh...
I was going through the ROM's data and I found something odd.
There seem to be some callbacks to the original portraits in 0x012FE600, there's one with Dimitrii's agonizing face and after that there's one with Mina.

I found the little portraits for the Julius Mode, they're at 0x010F0818 (4bpp linear, reversed-order).
As for Soma's portrait in the menu, I couldn't find any other sprite for him, so perhaps it's using some sort of resizing for the portrait image. I will give it a try and see what I can find.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:17:17 pm by ShadowOne333 »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2016, 02:44:58 pm »
Also, your Celia portrait looks like this when converted to the game's palette:

And with that, I will answer the following:

I posted a link in the first page of the thread in one of my posts with ALL of the DoS portraits with the proper indexed palette that the game uses:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bts7381gbfvgadm/DoS%20Portraits.rar?dl=0

Well, that clarifies a lot. Thanks!
I'm gonna be off my computer till Monday, next week I'll work on the small Celia with the right pallette. It didn't quite translate to the lower resoluton as well as I hoped, I'm gonna improve on it as much as I can.

Till then!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2016, 03:18:01 pm »
Well, that clarifies a lot. Thanks!
I'm gonna be off my computer till Monday, next week I'll work on the small Celia with the right pallette. It didn't quite translate to the lower resoluton as well as I hoped, I'm gonna improve on it as much as I can.

Till then!

Sure thing!
Can't wait to see what you have in store. :)

Also...
Okay let's give this a try:
http://www.megafileupload.com/7xqx/Dawn_Of_Dignity_v01.xdelta

It's just a test build, i want to see if there are any bugs that any of you guys could report.
The only portraits I left off ATM are Dario and Dimitrii's. Be sure to let me know if you find any other that are not fully converted or if we missed one portrait in particular.

Also, it seems like the Menu portrait is located somewhere else in the ROM.
I'll have to take a look to see if I can pinpoint it.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2016, 03:33:50 pm »
I think sharing the incomplete hack here is best. People can try it and when you have reaction portraits done you can finally release 1.0 o the main site. The rules state that incomplete hacks aren't supposed to be submitted anyway. So you can finish it up here and then release it on the main site when it's ready.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2016, 04:12:25 pm »
Also...
Okay let's give this a try:
http://www.megafileupload.com/7xqx/Dawn_Of_Dignity_v01.xdelta

It's just a test build, i want to see if there are any bugs that any of you guys could report.
The only portraits I left off ATM are Dario and Dimitrii's. Be sure to let me know if you find any other that are not fully converted or if we missed one portrait in particular.
Wow, the portraits look amazing on my DS Lite. Except Celia, but that palette didn’t translate well and wasn’t touched up yet. She looks better in the Library though, with the dark filter and the blue background. Can’t wait to see how she looks once properly converted.

First bug report: when viewing the library, Alucard’s portrait seems to have a messed-up palette.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2016, 04:15:50 pm »
First bug report: when viewing the library, Alucard’s portrait seems to have a messed-up palette.
Do you have a pic of that issue?

JohannGralog

• View Profile

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2016, 04:21:56 pm »

I might added a wrong palette there. Might have to check it.
Is the Library available from the very start or do I need a complete save file?

Could you also check Alucard's portrait during his text box in Julius mode?

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2016, 04:24:27 pm »
I might added a wrong palette there. Might have to check it.
Is the Library available from the very start or do I need a complete save file?

Could you also check Alucard's portrait during his text box in Julius mode?
Very start.

Alas, I don’t have a Julius Mode save with sufficient progress. Lemme check if there’s a savefile I can download.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2016, 04:32:08 pm »
Very start.

Alas, I don’t have a Julius Mode save with sufficient progress. Lemme check if there’s a savefile I can download.

I have one with Julius mode unlocked in my flashcart at home, let me know if you need it.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2016, 04:43:08 pm »
I have one with Julius mode unlocked in my flashcart at home, let me know if you need it.
I have it unlocked, but I never quite finished it. But I downloaded a completed save now. Now speeding my way through the Abyss.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2016, 04:47:06 pm »
Very start.

I can't test anything right now, but I have a save file backed up you can all use for testing.
I don't remember when I made this backup, but it should at least have a finished game and Julius Mode beaten.

SAV (For DraStic and flashcarts, R4 or DSTWO)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mdh73g77inzjyg/Castlevania%201%20-%20Dawn%20of%20Sorrow%20%28USA%29.sav?dl=0

DSV (for DesMUME)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9qlan41i718t1r/Castlevania%20-%20Dawn%20of%20Sorrow%20%28USA%29.dsv?dl=0

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2016, 04:51:28 pm »
Yeah, same palette error.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2016, 05:55:05 pm »
Yeah, same palette error.

Oh yeah, it seems like it was a mistake from my part.
I think I imported the portrait using the wrong palette that I had loaded at the time.

Try with this one:
http://www.megafileupload.com/7xtr/Dawn_Of_Dignity_v02.xdelta

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2016, 11:04:28 pm »
Well, the hack really seems to be coming together. I'd like if someone did a cutscene collection on youtube with this hack, or at least some in game screenshots of everyone. I wanna see where it's at. Johann and azulos contributions are really coming together. I kinda wish you could wait for azulos to draw everything, I wonder if everything will mesh well together or if some pieces will look out of place. I know Johan is really doing a good job polishing what you got tho.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2016, 01:25:39 am »
Well, the hack really seems to be coming together. I'd like if someone did a cutscene collection on youtube with this hack, or at least some in game screenshots of everyone. I wanna see where it's at. Johann and azulos contributions are really coming together. I kinda wish you could wait for azulos to draw everything, I wonder if everything will mesh well together or if some pieces will look out of place. I know Johan is really doing a good job polishing what you got tho.
Well to be honest I made this patch so that I can get some feedback, and it worked, Johann reported the mistake with Alucard's portrait, which I fixed asap.
I say we should give azulo a break and let him/her make things at his/her own pace.
The work that went into that drawing is simply superb, top notch indeed, I feel honoured to even be making a hack that includes that kind of artwork in there. xD
To be honest, it's the best artwork I have seen from all the others I have searched when I was looking for mockups for the portraits of the lacking characters.

Right now I will be focusing a little bit on feedback, and also we now have the offset for the small icons that appear during Julius Mode (0x010F0818) and I seem to still be missing the Soma's portraits that are eing used for the menu on the top screen.
If someone wants to give a hand into looking for that mssing portrait, that'd be great. :P

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2016, 04:54:36 am »

Fixed now.

Seems like Alucard might need a few touch-ups still, especially on the edges of the hair. I’ll see if I can manage it.

Some other pictures I took earlier:

I might give Arikado a make-over too. It’s the oldest one of the bunch.

Sure, I could be taking screenshots from emulators, but I think seeing how it looks on real hardware is the true test.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2016, 05:35:52 am »
Yes, it looks good. I just wanted to see what it looks like. I can see the artwork fits very well. Also, wasn't he supposed to change soma? He looks anime still.