News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV: Born of a Dragon  (Read 4091 times)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV: Born of a Dragon
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2019, 11:25:54 pm »
Honestly, I was working on that so long ago that I have no clue where I put all the new stuff. I probably won't have a great deal of time for a couple of weeks to look into it, but I'm sure I can make it work once I get a look.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 09:38:43 am »
Onto the Tower of Zot!

Interesting to see the IceLiz cast Ice-2, it gives a use for Mute... if the Earth Hammer and Moonbeam Sword didn't kill them, heh.

The dreaded FlameDog, let's see how this works out... Zen Yang hit and Comet, dead. Alright then.
FireSword likely won't be as useful as Comet, but I'll remember it for Fire-weak foes.
Oh, Shock takes quite a while to cast, but it seems to also heal. I assume since its Paladin-based its Holy Elemental?
Not much challenge here after Eblan, just spam Quake, Comet, and Fire-2 from Earth Hammer, Moonbeam Sword, and Fireball Rod, respectively. I guess that was the intention for those who were resourceful or stubborn enough to raid Eblan?
Another Lit Shield will be nice for Kain and the Bolt Rod could be useful for Rydia (since Tellah's time is just about up)

The Elven Robe looks like an all around upgrade from the ManaSilk Robe, rather nice.

Well, I beat the Magus Sisters without much trouble, though they reflected Fire3 on me I tanked the damage and was relatively fine. Even a second reflected attack only brought some of the party down to critical rather than dead. Once I defeated Sandy it was basically over and I defeated Mindy before she could revive the other two.

Goodbye Tellah... I'll miss your massive MP pool, great healing, and Meteo usage in desperate situations. His death makes less sense here, I'm afraid... he uses spells that he clearly has enough MP for and uses a Meteo, which he still has enough MP to cast. What might be interesting is to have Tellah use a bunch of spells he doesn't know to show how enraged he is (and is quickly draining his MP pool) like Quake, Aero3, (I think I saw Level 4 spells shown in pictures), just have him use those and top it off with Meteo to show why he died. 1. He expended his MP, 2. He broke spell seals in a fit of emotion, 3. His drive for vengeance and blind rage cost him his life, but did severely hurt Golbez.

Ah right, I should get the Ghost Spear out of the cache.
So let's see... Kain has Steel all around and a Wind spear, basically normal. Rosa is armed and ready for combat! Always nice to see. I'm glad to see Golbez was so accommodating to deck her out in Mythril.

Oh, Exit is in the game and Rosa has it, neat!

Whoa, what? Kain comes back with Black Magic?! I cannot say I ever expected that! A neat idea to give him those spells though.

Hrmm.. Despite Valvalis having Storm and focusing on using Lit-2 to try and bring down the party, I could easily heal back up with Cecil and Rosa. Her spin doesn't make her immune to attacks and Zen Yang just kept on pummeling her. All in all, it was over quite quickly and I didn't even need to put on Lit Shields to mitigate the damage.  Levels - 25 - Cid, 26 - Kain, 24 - Yang, 26 - Rosa, 22 - Cecil.

The Tower of Zot was, oddly enough, easier here than it is in the normal game. In the normal game you have very limited supplies. Tellah with only 90 MP can't afford to just blast everything, even if you stocked up on Ethers his Speed is still rather poor. Here I had three characters that could spam multi-range spells and because enemy HP seemed to be reduced to account for the new expected damage, most were dead after one Quake and Comet, and if they weren't they were mopped up by Tellah's Fireball Rod and Zen Yang.
In the normal game you can get through Zot with several strategies, using the elemental Fire sword you get to deal with the IceLiz as well as the elemental claws, using Form change spells like Pig, Toad, and Mini on certain foes to make them more susceptible and manageable. But here, the strategy was clear, spam my unlimited use weapon spells.

Well.. I learned Vitae, but did not find Bless, that worries me.

I think that's all for tonight, next time I will start the Underworld.

MGE

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 04:10:11 pm »
Pug? As in FFVI's Tonberry Pug? Wow. The Ramuh Ring raises Wisdom by 10! That's enormous!

Exactly.  Pug uses the famous Stab ability, too.  I've thought about moving it to somewhere more difficult to get to, considering how powerful it is.

I just noticed that the Karate Gi has 80% Magic Evasion, that is insane!
Wow, and the Zen Staff has a chance to paralyze, eh? That was a well spent 5000 GP... and it can Sleep? What can't this thing do?

Yang was made to be vulnerable to magic, but nearly impossible to hit physically.  He has the HP to take a few hits, should he get unlucky.  The Zen staff may be a bit too powerful...  I'll see if I can't tone it down a bit, and perhaps make it cost 10,000 to prevent it from being bought on the first trip to Fabul.

Alright, let's see what Baigan is worth...
Starts off by killing Porom with a normal attack, wonderful. Proceeds to kill Tellah. And massacred... alright then.
Well, it took a couple of tries, but it basically became a matter of surviving and hoping the Zen Staff wielding Yang would eventually find his mark, which he did. I also got a lucky Comet early in the battle which hurt the left arm significantly and the body eventually crumbled to repeat hits from Yang, all while I tried to keep my head above water with potions and the like. Tellah and Porom went down and it was difficult to bring either back up. I also cast Blink where I could to keep Palom and Yang safe-ish. dealing with the elemental magic never got easier for those two. I could swap shields with Cecil though when I knew the patterns and counters.

Similar to my strategy.  Baigan isn't a puzzle fight, just some good old fashioned big hits to defend and seeing that one arm takes magic damage while the other takes physical damage.

Alright, so let's take on Cagnazzo!
So... I hit him with Lit to prevent Drown, he used Drown anyway and everyone was hit for over 250+ damage of their less than 120 Max HP, after I had used Hope on him, hrmm... It may be a damage race since BigWave can also use HP to decide its damage.

Sounds like it's working correctly, for the most part.  Cagnazzo was...  buggy for a long time.  His transition period sometimes would react to non-lightning hits as if they were, so the script was changed often.

Alright, I just let Zen Yang deal with a lot of it, I managed to keep everyone up. Cecil used the Legend Sword to cast Shell on various party members while Porom and Tellah got Slow on Cagnazzo which worked very well, it gave me ample time to get to Palom's turn to use the Shock Rod on him to stop Drown. Eventually he entered into his turtling phase. The first time he used Gush it hurt quite a bit, but Curse is useless to inflict from thereon out since it only effects physical atk/def rather than magical and since he doesn't physically attack from this point on it's a non issue. It took me a while to realize he was basically immune to all damage until he re-emerged. With that in mind I used Wise and Hope a good number of times and when he next came out I hit him with a boosted Lit-2 from Palom to end it.

Nearly identical to my own strategy; again, Zen staff needs to be toned down a bit.

Let's try to raid Eblan then...

Ah, very good! You put in enemies. I did the same for my hack to assure you can't just waltz in at any level.

Indeed, for the same reason that I eliminated running from monsters in caves; running is just too powerful in FFIV as is.

"Dragoons are elementalists." Um... I assume that means that Kain's weaponry will encompass the elements then.

Elementalist is used here loosely, I might change that title.  Kain has power (or will...) over earth, gravity, wind, etc.  Basically the non-Fire/Ice/Lit elements.

Wait a second... "Black magic grows naturally from tormented hearts." "Heart of black" "Devoid of just character" "The Evil spell is a force of nature." Am I getting Golbez at some point?!

Ack, I hate to squash your hopes, but no.  That'd just be too much hacking passed my skill level.

"Flash will grow stronger..." I wonder if its using the Counter formula then.

Flash's power is based on your HP.  It has a cast time of '0', so it's a quick, emergency heal that is somewhat less effective early on.

Chocobo Eggs, something called Zaio that attracts Chocobo, hmm... I do like that when you talk to the fellow the music changes to the Chocobo theme, cute touch. "Chocobos and Crystals are spiritually linked." I guess that's why I've found the Crystal Shards in Chocobo Forests then.

Zeio nuts!  A reference to FF7.

WarMech, eh? Glad to see another reference to FFI, I wonder when I can run into that then.

:woot!:

August 02, 2019, 04:22:37 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Haunted arrows, eh? I assume they can inflict Curse then. Neat.
Hard to make arrows/bow worthwhile to use with all the stat perks of rods and staves.  I might tweak them to be even more powerful.  Status effects from arrows were an idea.

So that's all six of the Crystal Shards, I'll need to keep a lookout on where to use them, oh and another Megalixir.
There are 8 crystal shards in total.  The two you’re missing are referenced, I think…  if not they’re not in particularly obscure places, other than the extremity of their respective instances.

Hmm... Tellah has enough MP to cast Meteo now... I'm not sure that's thematically appropriate. Granted it can be argued that he dies casting Meteo because he expended his MP already into the negative since he used the 3 elemental spells and Bio, pushing him over his limit... I guess its fine.
So with regard to Meteo, I had trouble thematically with it, too.  I wish I could make spells cost more than 99 MP.  I *think* I remember adding in a line, possibly in Mysidia, regarding Meteo killing it’s user if they were overcome with emotion or anger…  I may have removed it to make room, though.

Osmose is still pretty fantastic! Glad to see it's not been nerfed.
I erred on the side of leaving Osmose powerful since requiring tons of purchased consumables ahead of time is rather annoying. 
Um... new effect from using the Mythril Staff doesn't quite clue me in on what it does.
Ah, this would be revealed in the “manual”.  It removes all form changing status effects (Size, Piggy, Toad).  Specifically, this is useful against the Dark Elf.
Oh, Gigas Gauntlets, wonderful! +3 Strength only and resistance to Giants (Humanoids?), eh, good enough.

Mages don't seem to have much staying power. Zen Yang ends them instantly and the Mythril Staff puts them to sleep easily enough.
Noted on mages.  They need to be a little hardier.

Morph... oh that could be bad.

Hmm, the Dark Dragon seems to like Physical attacks so I should set an Image on Tellah, since it seems he might be aiming for him. The Shell buffs I can give at the start of the fight may be helping...? It's hard to tell. I also probably should have bought an Agart Axe so that Cid could hold a Shield. I never bought an Alert Helm, so I'm susceptible to Sleep as well.
Oh right! Tellah knows Reflect now, that should deal with some of the tricks that the Dark Dragon uses.
Whew, well I managed to win. I realized that this is not a battle of sustainability. If you let the Dark Dragon last, he will gain the upper hand. You have to strike fast and hard. But be aware that you can counter his dirtiest tricks with Reflect. The Legend Sword does tremendous damage to him, upwards of 700 and Zen Yang deals a strong amount of damage when Hasted. I managed to keep the whole party up through his Demis and various tricks and eventually took him down. Another satisfying boss fight. My levels were Tellah, Cid, Yang - 18, Cecil - 16.
Indeed, Dark Dragon is a DPS race, mostly.  Some maintenance.  The Dark Elf is more of a problem solving fight; glad you got through it!

You have done an amazing job with these stat and role rebalances. I even found myself using Cid's Scan! I was going to complain about you not changing it, but it is actually useful for once in... ever, since Tellah and Cecil normally have something more important to do than Scan.
Thank you!  So glad you’re enjoying it!

I just noticed that you changed Tents to act as Cabins, removes a little redundancy and makes Tents that much more useful, not a bad change.
Indeed.  Cabins will revive characters, whereas Tent won’t, but that’s only a small difference.  Cabins aren’t worth buying; they’re mostly a convenience item.  If half your party is dead, it’s annoying to Life them back then Tent.  You can just Cabin and be done with it.  Saves a couple seconds.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:22:37 pm by MGE »

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 06:54:10 pm »
RUNNING

This is a very controversial change.  While inside dungeons in FF4:BoaD, you are not able to run whatsoever.  Why? First, it makes little sense that in a closed, confined, dark space chock full of monsters, you could just run the other way and not either run into more monsters or fall off a cliff or something.  Secondly, it resolves a ton of issues with balancing and pacing that the original game suffered from, due to it's lenient run mechanic.  Eblan, Cave Magnes, Sealed Cave, Feymarch (Land of Summoned Monsters) and Sylph Cave can all be tuned to a specific level window, whereas previously, one could simply chain-run through, grabbing treasures.  I was so pleased with the results, that I made all dungeons in the game like this.  You'll find yourself having to ration items more, look for save points and plan your battles and steps accordingly.  Finally, it ensures that all the new AI and scripting done to dungeon monsters gets seen and not simply run through and skipped.  If you absolutely hate this mechanic, I can understand, but I urge you to give it a try.

Who runs from battles in Final Fantasy? Ha! COWARDS  >:D

I never run if I can possibly help it. It's the absolute last thing I try, if I am getting killed and haven't saved in a while.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

MGE

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 06:58:47 pm »
Who runs from battles in Final Fantasy? Ha! COWARDS  >:D

I never run if I can possibly help it. It's the absolute last thing I try, if I am getting killed and haven't saved in a while.

Ha, nice!  Hey, thanks for replying so I could add another reply myself  :laugh:  These forum rules, so weird!

Well, I left the cave, normally I just use Exit but... that's not in the game. Walking out is actually quite interesting as you get to fight the foes at full power, instead of being restricted.
A bit of “forced” grinding; a way to get around requiring grinding without…  “requiring” it hehehe.  Also, a little psychological pleasure from obliterating creatures that were annoying without weapons and armor.  Revenge!

So I went to Eblan to see if I could scavenge anything. The first treasure one can access is the Earth Hammer, I really should have at least tried to look around the area the first time. Though I don't know if it counted as Metal or not.
Wow, you found the Earth Hammer on the first trip?!  Lucky!
Wha...?! The Earth Hammer raises Cid's stats by +15 all around?! That's crazy!
Being as how Cid leaves after Zot, the Earth Hammer is “optional”.  It is analogous to Aeris’s Ultimate weapon in FF7; very powerful, but only for very thorough players attempting challenges that might scare others.  (Eblan).  It makes Cid VERY strong, so enjoy!  You earned it.

Agnostic Shield? That might be the wierdest name for a shield I've ever heard... Oh, it's going to kill my Will isn't it?
Ah, yes.  Defends against Dark and Light.

I can't say I know what the Fluffy Hat protects me from.
Petrification.

Eblan has never been more fruitful. There are still a couple of strong healing items to get there, as well as whatever the three Mad Ogres are guarding... I guess I'll try for it.
Perhaps a little too fruitful…  either the monsters need to be stronger or the rewards lesser, I think.

What exactly does a Sedative do? I would guess get rid of Berserk, but I'm not really sure. Also I may want to stock up on some Invis at only 500 GP for one.
Sedative cures Berserk; Invis casts Blink.

Oh! I'm glad I remembered the Edward scene, now that's a creative use to encourage optional scenes, and that's partially what you meant by missable spells.
That’s Shock, iirc.  Very useful!

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2019, 10:54:58 pm »
Speedrunners run. Most of the time, I think...

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2019, 03:15:10 am »
Onto the Underworld!

Ah, the Ghost Spear is Kain's very own Black Sword in terms of bonuses, neat.

With Ether's only being 500 GP instead of 10000 GP it doesn't seem a bad idea to stock up.

Well, I was going to say that Calbrena was the first fight that forced me to take off the Zen Staff due to the counter Quake (Pound), but just as things seemed a bit hopeless Yang landed that one final blow upon his revival.

Golbez massacred me, alright then, let's take another look at  this...

It is probably not a good idea to fight Calbrena, at all. So I'll take off the Zen Staff and kick the dolls away along with the Fire Sword and Moonbeam Blade.

Second time around went much better. I forgot to dequip the Zen Staff and barely won against Calbrena with only Rosa still standing. She managed to take it out with a 148 damage hit with the Mythril Staff, amusingly enough. Golbez was a fun fight. He has the potential to kill anyone he wants if his routine cycles back to physical attack (front row) or Nuke. Stop is also potentially devastating. I handled him by first bringing back Cecil, then reviving Palidor Ring wearing Rosa. I used Rosa to bring back Cecil and recovered momentum from there, bringing back Kain and Yang, Rydia unfortunately didn't get to do much. I basically let Zen Yang deal with him while I kept the others on healing/reviving duty. At one point he Stopped Rosa which could have been really bad, but then proceeded to Nuke her on the next go-around so I could revive her and be fine. In the end everyone survived.

Well, alright. I didn't miss Bless. I think maybe you should change the kid's message in Agart to Shock then, since you can miss that.

Hmm, Titanium Helms for sale...  that might be useful.

Hmm, Rydia can use Bows now, eh? Interesting... Ah, the ElvenBow raises Wisdom by +10, great! But I never noticed that you need a Bow and Arrow for the Bow to give its bonus, it makes sense, but I wasn't expecting it.

I was warned that the Dwarf Axe has pretty bad accuracy, I guess I'll see how bad...

It increases Str. +5, and Vit +5 but lowers Agility and Wisdom and Will by 5. That's... pretty bad, on top of a 36% hit rate for only a +5 power boost or so from the Ghost Spear.

Gah! I just realized I forgot to buy Bomb from Silvera, ah well...

So the Developer's Room was replaced by a chest. I better save before opening this, just in case...

The VIP Pass, hmm? I assume I use this at Troia and this will get me the final part of the dance sidequest.

Eh, another Sealed Helm after I bought three Titanium Helms, heh... I'll give it to Rydia all the same. Well, that was lucrative, I got the Blizzard Rod, and a Peaceful Helm, which I assume prevents Confusion/Berserk? Another Zen Staff in case you missed it in the upper world?

So Dr. Lugae is weak to Lit, okay then. Shozoku? And a Chocobo Egg, eh? Hmm, I'll need to go back to Troia later then.
Uh... the Shozoku gives Yang 99% Magic and Physical evasion. Is this intended? With the Seraphim Ring I can give him that x1 Multiplier he needs to evade Magic. Or at least, 1 guaranteed hit of a magic multiplier... which now that I think about it is likely why it is set up like that.

Global cooling in the Underworld, heh...

Oh...! The Ghost Spear also casts Death, wow.

Well the trip to Babil wasn't that bad. Comet, Death, and Zen Yang dealt with it easily enough. Spirit Claws, I'll remember those for Edge (unless I'm forced to use something else other than the Zen Staff.)

Kain and Yang have the front row, where Cecil, Rydia, and Rosa are in the back.

Oh another Adept Helm, terrific! I'll give it to Rydia to boost her speed.

GoldWing?! A new enemy? Very nice!
An interesting fight. Massive physical attack, Blinding ability, immunity to Death. In the end Yang dealt with it...
And I get Jewels for my victory? Selling fodder?

Whoops, I forgot to heal before opening the chest! Ah, it's just an Alert it can't *Proceeds to see Kain get hit for over 500 damage* do... anything. Alright then! Rosa died, Yang died, then I revived Rosa who revived Yang and Yang hit the Alert which summoned a Chimera, which Blazed us and left us reeling, but Zen Yang chose true again and took it out in one blow, and quickly enough attacked the Alert, ending the fight. That was too close!

RipTide Lance? Very creative name.

Poison Whip, hmm? Increases all of Rydia's stats by +3, I'll try it out
Caduceus, always nice to see such a reference. Increase Vit. +15, could be useful. It seems to cast Cure2 in battle, it's... okay.

Rydia should only be hitting for roughly 97 or so, but against BlackLiz she does x4 damage, I assume that the Poison Whip is x4 effective against Lizards then?

I was going to complain that the Bow is a pretty worthless weapon at this point compared to alternatives, but then I found the Dwarf Bow which gives +5 Str. So nevermind.

DwarfBow casts Blaze... I can't say I saw that one coming.

Ah, the Black Robe, finally!

So Tofu are Holy Elemental now, that's worrying... Thankfully new and improved Cecil has just what we need to deal with them. But wait... if you missed Shock, how are you meant to fight them?

Dragon...Rose... Gauntlets? Is that a reference I'm missing? I seemed to get it from a Chimera. +5 Strength and Agility, that is excellent!

Just on a lark I equipped the Spirit Claws and they do significantly increase Yang's power, I'll try them out. It gives him that precious x2 Magic Defense Multiplier as well.

Dissolve Arrows is such an awesome name.

I... just beat an Alert and got some gloves called Si02, ...what? Increases Agility and Vitality +5, interesting. I assume that they are also the racial gloves to guard against Robots, how convenient, right before I fight the only Robot boss in the game.

Haha! I leave the save room to make my way to Lugae and I run into another Alert who drops EMP Arrows instead of the Si02 Gloves.

Dr. Lugae was a bit of a pushover. Dead in 3 turns with a Focused Yang. Not much more to say than that.
Oh, the Spirit Claws can also inflict Instant Death, well... that is important to remember.

It's going to hurt losing Yang. He has been my constant support ever since Baron and this mod makes him the best party member you have by the time he leaves the group, making his absence sting quite a bit more.

I'm glad I stopped into the Ore Grotto and took a look around, otherwise I wouldn't have found the Punisher Rod... What's this?! It raises Intelligence by 15 and has 160 Power?! That's absolutely ludicrous! Rydia just became my most powerful fighter!

Ah, almost forget to head back to Troia! Dance is still the same, so that was Part 8, alright... I think I've seen them all? Baron 1, Baron 2, Kaipo 3, Fabul 4, Mysidia 5, Silvera 6, Agart 7, Troia 8, Dwarven Castle 9. How would I even know if I've seen them all, is it being recorded in the flags?

Let's see... Flash Whip, probably casts Flash, if I had to guess. Dancing Dagger, Ribbon, wonderful! And the Stardust Rod... which has some weird bonuses. +15 to Strength and Agility is pretty incredible. I will have to try out both the Stardust Rod and Punisher to see which I prefer.

...The Punisher Staff casts Osmose and deals Drain damage?! That's absurdly broken!
"Chocobo Eggs are known for their healing properties." I guess keep this in mind when I find Yang? Oh wait, "special reagent" "The Elder is the only man alive capable of casting Holy..." I suppose that is what the Chocobo Egg is used for?

The Stardust Rod casts a more powerful Comet, so depending on the situation one is more preferable than the other and Flash casts Blink, which always has potential usefulness, especially in Physical heavy boss fights.

And with that, I am ready to head to Eblan Caves, I think. My levels are.. 29-Cecil, 31-Kain, 32-Rydia, 32-Rosa.

MGE

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2019, 08:52:53 am »
Interesting to see the IceLiz cast Ice-2, it gives a use for Mute... if the Earth Hammer and Moonbeam Sword didn't kill them, heh.
Yeah, you’re pretty decked out.  Clearing Eblan that early is huge.  Again, it might be too huge and I might need to tone it down.
Whoa, what? Kain comes back with Black Magic?! I cannot say I ever expected that! A neat idea to give him those spells though.
Some of his spells may not be super useful; I think the Aero spells need to be tuned a bit.  That, or Kain’s WIS growth needs to be addressed.
Hrmm.. Despite Valvalis having Storm and focusing on using Lit-2 to try and bring down the party, I could easily heal back up with Cecil and Rosa. Her spin doesn't make her immune to attacks and Zen Yang just kept on pummeling her. All in all, it was over quite quickly and I didn't even need to put on Lit Shields to mitigate the damage.  Levels - 25 - Cid, 26 - Kain, 24 - Yang, 26 - Rosa, 22 - Cecil.
Hmm, she should have been immune while in spin…   I’ll take a look at that.  Noted.  She’s typically a *very* difficult fight, but I guess your Eblan trip really paid dividends.

The Tower of Zot was, oddly enough, easier here than it is in the normal game. In the normal game you have very limited supplies. Tellah with only 90 MP can't afford to just blast everything, even if you stocked up on Ethers his Speed is still rather poor. Here I had three characters that could spam multi-range spells and because enemy HP seemed to be reduced to account for the new expected damage, most were dead after one Quake and Comet, and if they weren't they were mopped up by Tellah's Fireball Rod and Zen Yang.
In the normal game you can get through Zot with several strategies, using the elemental Fire sword you get to deal with the IceLiz as well as the elemental claws, using Form change spells like Pig, Toad, and Mini on certain foes to make them more susceptible and manageable. But here, the strategy was clear, spam my unlimited use weapon spells.
Great feedback!  I’m gonna replay this section myself and see if I can even it out a bit.

Well.. I learned Vitae, but did not find Bless, that worries me.
You’re okay-  Bless isn’t available to you yet, iirc.

August 03, 2019, 09:21:52 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
With Ether's only being 500 GP instead of 10000 GP it doesn't seem a bad idea to stock up.
MP, in general, is a little more forgiving in this hack than it should be.  I would much prefer to have spells be able to cost greater than 99 MP.  Some of the later spells are balanced out by having very long cast times, but it still doesn’t sit right with me.  Anyway, getting stuck in dungeons without consumables is a real threat in this since one can’t run and I wanted to eliminate the “I’m stuck in a dungeon, saved at the bottom, and now I can’t get out.” Situation.  (i.e., Sylph Cave, Giant of Bab-il)
Well, I was going to say that Calbrena was the first fight that forced me to take off the Zen Staff due to the counter Quake (Pound), but just as things seemed a bit hopeless Yang landed that one final blow upon his revival.
I’m really surprised that the Zen staff has been THAT useful; I typically take it off during Zot and never put it back on, as his claws and control of the character become so critical.  This is interesting.

Golbez massacred me, alright then, let's take another look at  this...

It is probably not a good idea to fight Calbrena, at all. So I'll take off the Zen Staff and kick the dolls away along with the Fire Sword and Moonbeam Blade.
Agh!  I tried to make it so that the Calbrena fight was inescapable, and medium tough…  I’ll have to fix that.

Second time around went much better. I forgot to dequip the Zen Staff and barely won against Calbrena with only Rosa still standing. She managed to take it out with a 148 damage hit with the Mythril Staff, amusingly enough. Golbez was a fun fight. He has the potential to kill anyone he wants if his routine cycles back to physical attack (front row) or Nuke. Stop is also potentially devastating. I handled him by first bringing back Cecil, then reviving Palidor Ring wearing Rosa. I used Rosa to bring back Cecil and recovered momentum from there, bringing back Kain and Yang, Rydia unfortunately didn't get to do much. I basically let Zen Yang deal with him while I kept the others on healing/reviving duty. At one point he Stopped Rosa which could have been really bad, but then proceeded to Nuke her on the next go-around so I could revive her and be fine. In the end everyone survived.
Regarding Stopping a character then Nuking them- that is very lucky, however the Nuke is integral as it disrupts the sync of Doom (Or Count is it’s better known).  Instead of having to kill your own character so you have one that isn’t affected by Count, Golbez does you a favor and kills someone instantly.
Well, alright. I didn't miss Bless. I think maybe you should change the kid's message in Agart to Shock then, since you can miss that.
Noted

Hmm, Rydia can use Bows now, eh? Interesting... Ah, the ElvenBow raises Wisdom by +10, great! But I never noticed that you need a Bow and Arrow for the Bow to give its bonus, it makes sense, but I wasn't expecting it.
I’m not sure it works perfectly, but as Bows increase in power, they decrease in accuracy.  Basically, this is a failsafe to make sure the ultra-powerful bows towards the end can’t be used effectively by someone with huge stats, like Cecil.  Aim becomes required almost for the latter bows.

Uh... the Shozoku gives Yang 99% Magic and Physical evasion. Is this intended? With the Seraphim Ring I can give him that x1 Multiplier he needs to evade Magic. Or at least, 1 guaranteed hit of a magic multiplier... which now that I think about it is likely why it is set up like that.
Yes, intentional, but I never considered putting a WIL ring on him to boost him to 1x multiplier.  This is very important!  Thank you!

GoldWing?! A new enemy? Very nice!
An interesting fight. Massive physical attack, Blinding ability, immunity to Death. In the end Yang dealt with it...
And I get Jewels for my victory? Selling fodder?
Precisely; they are selling fodder.  You’re nearly through with most of the GP requirements in the game, but if for some reason you’re short, this area is basically a farm location.

Poison Whip, hmm? Increases all of Rydia's stats by +3, I'll try it out.
Whips are racially strong against ALL races; they don’t come with big casting bonuses, but if you need Rydia to be a physical damage dealer for a fight, they work very well.  They also inflict some nice secondary status effects.
Caduceus, always nice to see such a reference. Increase Vit. +15, could be useful. It seems to cast Cure2 in battle, it's... okay.
This is a replacement staff, or a second instance of it in case you missed the first, which it seems you did.  The first opportunity is in Agart, and at that time, a Cure2 staff for Tellah is a tempting consideration over the Mythril staff.

DwarfBow casts Blaze... I can't say I saw that one coming.
That may be a mistake…  Blaze is too strong of a spell for the player to ever have, since it’s % based.  I’ll check that out.  I might have been playing around with the idea and forgot to change it back.

So Tofu are Holy Elemental now, that's worrying... Thankfully new and improved Cecil has just what we need to deal with them. But wait... if you missed Shock, how are you meant to fight them?
Paladin spell Light, Mist Dragon summon and a couple non-elemental spells like Pug.

Dragon...Rose... Gauntlets? Is that a reference I'm missing? I seemed to get it from a Chimera. +5 Strength and Agility, that is excellent!
DragonRose, in some high fantasy stories I’ve read, were flowers that put dragons to sleep.  DragonRose gauntlets are the anti-Dragon racial gauntlets, so it’s their “weakness”.

I... just beat an Alert and got some gloves called Si02, ...what? Increases Agility and Vitality +5, interesting. I assume that they are also the racial gloves to guard against Robots, how convenient, right before I fight the only Robot boss in the game.
Robot racial gauntlets.  SiO2 is Silicon Dioxide; a universal insulator with high resistance.  A little semi-conductor fabrication humor, there lol.

Haha! I leave the save room to make my way to Lugae and I run into another Alert who drops EMP Arrows instead of the Si02 Gloves.
Oh, you’ll want to hang on to those…
Dr. Lugae was a bit of a pushover. Dead in 3 turns with a Focused Yang. Not much more to say than that.
Oh, the Spirit Claws can also inflict Instant Death, well... that is important to remember.
You must be hitting for gobs of damage.  Typically my strategy is to have racial gauntlets on tanks if I have them, set up buffs then, if I have it, Cover Rydia, let her get off a couple Indra summons and be on maintenance with the rest.  Lugae’s lasers are pretty devastating if you let him get some momentum.  Still, he’s a minor boss.

I'm glad I stopped into the Ore Grotto and took a look around, otherwise I wouldn't have found the Punisher Rod... What's this?! It raises Intelligence by 15 and has 160 Power?! That's absolutely ludicrous! Rydia just became my most powerful fighter!
That is Rydia’s ultimate weapon.  It’s available very early, but usually players aren’t as thorough as checking the top half of that cavern on a whim.  The hidden woman in Troia references it explicitly.  Still, there are plenty of instances where Whips will be preferred over the Punisher rod.  Also, the name is referencing the FF6 Strago ultimate wand.
Ah, almost forget to head back to Troia! Dance is still the same, so that was Part 8, alright... I think I've seen them all? Baron 1, Baron 2, Kaipo 3, Fabul 4, Mysidia 5, Silvera 6, Agart 7, Troia 8, Dwarven Castle 9. How would I even know if I've seen them all, is it being recorded in the flags?
Yep, they have their own flags.  Though I would prefer that you got to the check having forgotten one, it may still be apparent that the NPC checking your dance flags is actually looking at your dance flags…  I hope lol.

Let's see... Flash Whip, probably casts Flash, if I had to guess. Dancing Dagger, Ribbon, wonderful! And the Stardust Rod... which has some weird bonuses. +15 to Strength and Agility is pretty incredible. I will have to try out both the Stardust Rod and Punisher to see which I prefer.
Flash whip casting Flash…  I’m almost embarrassed that I didn’t think of that… 

...The Punisher Staff casts Osmose and deals Drain damage?! That's absurdly broken!
"Chocobo Eggs are known for their healing properties." I guess keep this in mind when I find Yang? Oh wait, "special reagent" "The Elder is the only man alive capable of casting Holy..." I suppose that is what the Chocobo Egg is used for?
The Punisher staff is set up so Rydia can heal herself, but honestly, her turns are so important, I never waste a turn physically attacking.  She’s always got something to cast.
Chocobo Egg is simply a consumable; but it’s a powerful one.  Not a Megalixer, but close.  It heals everyone to full life, like a full party heal all.

And with that, I am ready to head to Eblan Caves, I think. My levels are.. 29-Cecil, 31-Kain, 32-Rydia, 32-Rosa.
You are a little lower in level than someone might typically be at this point, but that’s probably because you’re an extremely advanced FF4 player hahaha.  Well done, so far!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 09:21:52 am by MGE »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2019, 01:14:07 pm »
I would assume the NPC who keeps track of the Dances would be the old man in the Dance area of Troia, but as far as I can tell he won't mention anything more than finding the 9 sacred dances, which I'm pretty sure I've done by now. I don't believe I missed the first Baron dance because I wanted to check if it used the original or the edited version of the scene (uses the same one as FFII US)

I ran into a couple of Mad Ogres in the Eblan Cave which wrecked most of my party, but I equipped the Flash Whip on Rydia and she dealt over 1500 damage with each attack once berserked. That worked out well.

I like the info. found in the Eblan Hideout. The idea of Samurai and the Chrono Trigger reference with Masamune and Murasame, along with some general hints like Ninjas being able to use Claws, news to first-time players or some foggy veterans, I'm sure. I also like how the treasures there reflect a Ninja hideout instead of random Potions.

GiantBats are taken out with one use of the Stardust Rod, easy enough.

TrueShot arrows, hmm? I wonder... The Rage Whip too? Well, I assume it deals something with Berserk.

Hmm, no they don't do what I thought they did. I thought they would give 100% accuracy, hence their name, but I guess not.

A Katana from the 2 Staleman chest, fair enough if you missed the one in Eblan  and it does give you 2 if that's how you want to use Edge.

And Edge joins the party, lets see what he has...

Ah... Edge can't use the Spirit Claws, I guess those are only for Yang. Fair enough.

Nothing physical will ever hit him and he has x2 Magic Defense multiplier.

Pug is pretty powerful! What is that damage formula? It deals roughly 1400 damage currently.

So I just saw that the Dwarf Axe casts Fire3... interesting, I will have to remember that.

Ugh... 18% chance to hit with the Ogre Axe, well I'll try it with Kain all the same.
Sad to say it seems nigh unusable. Even with x2 Accuracy Jump I couldn't land a hit and the bonuses are minimal.

Grudger just wiped me out, ah well, I was due in time to fall at some point. I need to be more careful around those foes.
So Grudgers are killed instantly by Light Sword and can be Muted. I will remember that.

So onto Rubicant! I have to say the revisit to Babil has been wonderful. The difficulty feels like it has ramped up to just the appropriate amount where careless play Will get you killed. You are kept on your toes at all time by Bombs that will counter with Fire3, Grudgers that can threaten your existence if you don't use Light Sword or manage to get off a strong Lit spell, and the Mad Ogres require you to be cognizant of what Rydia has equipped to properly deal with them in a timely fashion. I think this has been my favorite dungeon in the game so far due to its difficulty curve set right.

Well, true to what the Dwarf said he did take several eternities to beat. Ice-3 only dealt about 2500 damage, when he had his cloak open so I thought it would be best if I just berserked Rydia with the Punisher Rod and did the same with Kain using the Ghost Spear. Sure Rubicant casts Fire-2 as a counter, but its weak enough that if you use some occasional healing you'll be fine. Unfortunately there wasn't much for Edge or Cecil to do outside of support and healing. If I would have remembered to bring along the Icebrand I might have been able to hit him a little harder, but I was dealing 1300 damage every round so it was only a matter of time until he fell. There was no real defense against Flare, so I wasn't too concerned about that. All in all, a fine fight. Nothing too special though.

Well, found a GreenDragon while I was exiting Babil. I stole three Dragon Rose's from it, so I won't have to worry about looking for those later on. It did use Fang which means it does have a chance to drop Adamant which is making me consider looking around to grind it... but that might not be necessary.

So... why is Ramuh/Indra's attack called 9K/Cs? 9000 Charges?

The Maneater Knife, I think I recall someone mentioning that earlier...

Wow, Quake is a bit weak when used by Kain... maybe 29 Wisdom is a bit low for Level 35, but maybe I should look for equipment that boosts his Wisdom if I plan on using him like that.

And back to the Underworld. I'll get the Airship upgraded check out Tomra, Kokkol's house. Then call it a night.

"Some drunk human once fell into our basement. He was a real party animal." ...is this a hint to a sidequest?

13 Paladin Spells? How did you have room for all of this...? It is really neat that you added that much to make Cecil stand out from the rest of the White Mage crews. I have only 6 of the spells so far. I should make sure I don't miss any.
Magic Armor, is that a Dragon Quest reference? Crusader Ring raises Wisdom by 15, something to bear in mind for Rydia eventually.

Void Crystal, hmm. Well one more to find then.

Ah! The Aegis Shield, wonderful! Quite worth my time to stop there.

"AtmaWpn was a laser weapon attached to a weapon of war". Hmm, possibly a hint that I can steal Atma Weapon from WarMech, or that I can possibly win it.

Ah so you changed the three-step peninsula into gold-farming land. Interesting idea.

Did not expect to see a full Snow White reference here, haha.

Electric sword might be useful, I'll pick it up.

"Doing optional sidequests early often give more rewards." Is that referring to losing the chance to get the Spoon/Knife in the normal game if you've already approached the Giant of Babil?

Well the treasure house wasn't that exciting. I guess Gorgon Arrows might be useful somewhere though. Levels 34 - Cecil, 35 - Kain, 36 - Rydia, 30 - Edge, 36 Rosa.

And that's all for tonight. Now since you caught up I can respond directly to you.

This has always been an issue; how do I increase the hit rate of Unarmed?

It is the first weapon on the list, but for some reason FF4kster never included that. http://rb.thundaga.com/ This is sadly the last remaining index of FFIV hacking knowledge in English as far I know due to the loss of slickproductions. If only I could retrieve that information...

Searching for this string in a hex editor...
0001 3200 0000 0000 should bring you to it. Just changing the 32 to ... say 63 and it will be 99% accurate.

Indeed; did I say otherwise?  I may need to tweak that dialogue.
Indeed, you say "Tellah is the most gifted Black Mage of Mysidia" or something like that.

Elementalist is used here loosely, I might change that title.  Kain has power (or will...) over earth, gravity, wind, etc.  Basically the non-Fire/Ice/Lit elements.
I guess a Natural... ist or Shaman? Hmm... I'm not sure there is an archetype from the FF series which fits this specific set of abilities. I can see why you had trouble choosing a name to give this.

Ack, I hate to squash your hopes, but no.  That'd just be too much hacking passed my skill level.
Haha, no problem. I didn't have Kain back by that point and I didn't know about his new kit, so it's likely referring to him (as it does juxtapose him with Cecil)

Whips are racially strong against ALL races; they don’t come with big casting bonuses, but if you need Rydia to be a physical damage dealer for a fight, they work very well.  They also inflict some nice secondary status effects.
This is a fun idea, but I think that an NPC should mention this somewhere as that is very important information.

This is a replacement staff, or a second instance of it in case you missed the first, which it seems you did.  The first opportunity is in Agart, and at that time, a Cure2 staff for Tellah is a tempting consideration over the Mythril staff.
Wait, I missed a secret Caduceus Staff in Agart? Hmm, maybe I didn't look around enough there...

You must be hitting for gobs of damage
Against Dr. Lugae a Focused attack with Yang equipped with Volt and Spirit Claws, along with Ragnarok and an Adept Helm he was dealing upwards to 4000 damage with each attack, so in three turns the 9000 HP Lugae was done. It felt fitting for Yang's final hurrah. I did not see Lugae use any lasers even.

That is Rydia’s ultimate weapon.  It’s available very early, but usually players aren’t as thorough as checking the top half of that cavern on a whim.  The hidden woman in Troia references it explicitly.  Still, there are plenty of instances where Whips will be preferred over the Punisher rod.  Also, the name is referencing the FF6 Strago ultimate wand.

Hidden woman in Troia Castle or Troia Town? Either way, I may have missed them somehow.

Flash whip casting Flash…  I’m almost embarrassed that I didn’t think of that…
I think that you have it fine. The Dancer items seemed to follow a theme of literal "flashiness". A Dancing Dagger, a Stardust Rod, and the Flash Whip. That the Flash Whip also casts Blink is also fitting.

You are a little lower in level than someone might typically be at this point, but that’s probably because you’re an extremely advanced FF4 player hahaha.  Well done, so far!
Thanks! I do consider myself rather well versed in FFIV but there are some parts of this that I like much better than the original. I love this idea of Cecil having his own school of Paladin magic which all fit thematically which he learns more and more abilities as he has more powerful and emotional experiences, it puts Cecil at the core of the story and it makes his character feel more well-rounded (if even just a little superficially).

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2019, 11:57:03 pm »
The discussions here made me want to play this hack, and now that I've done so, I'm glad I did. I basically agree with almost everything Grimoire said :D. There are a couple of rough spots, but overall this was a very enjoyable challenge hack.
  • The equipment changes were definitely interesting; the downside there is that FFIV's equip screen does not provide nearly enough information to make informed decisions about the end result of equipping an item, so there's a lot of going back and forth between the equip and status screens and a bit of uncertainty as to what special effects your equipment is providing.
  • The Cache is a huge improvement, especially since you're going to want to keep items in your primary inventory for their effects, not just stats. As a side effect, it's also a great way to quickly check who is able to use any new pieces of equipment you come across.
  • I would love to see the "instruction manual" that's supposed to accompany this hack; I imagine it would be especially useful for players who are less well versed in the game's internals. Knowing the in-battle use effects of all the weapons would be handy, as would a chart showing all the stat bonuses, given that for certain battles it is highly beneficial to be able to pump a specific stat, and certain pieces of equipment have some extraordinary stats (gotta love that 99% evasion).
  • The character changes were also well done, particularly for the temporary characters; this is, for example, the first time I've ever been sad to lose Edward, the twins were fantastic (pumping magic power stops being useful eventually, but I wish I could keep Porom for some of the later boss battles!), Tellah was indeed much more useful than in vanilla, and I did lament the loss of Zen Yang.
  • The battle dynamics are also very good; different enemies require different tactics to defeat and it often takes some experimentation to find an approach that works. With few exceptions, you can't just steamroll over everything or hold down A to win. I haven't used Scan in decades, but knowing about elemental weaknesses is often very important here. In one recent memorable case, Cecil using his strongest sword (based on stats) was hitting for 600 damage, but swapping to a weaker weapon that hit the right weaknesses got me 9999 damage per hit.
Some additions to Grimoire's excellent commentary:
I liked Cid's reference to FFVII, cute touch. Also his daughter contradicts what the guard said "Use your GP and Items, its what they're there for." While she says to save GP.
Conversely, I actually enjoyed the conflicting advice on whether to hoard or spend your GP and items.

Whoa! An Ice Shield from some Piranha's and EvilShell's! That's a nice find!
I got a Frost Rod from my first battle in the Watery Pass, which made my life much easier. Some of these random drops are really useful!

"We cannot defeat it using handheld weapons. We must defeat it using magic!" Nice break of expectations. Since in the original fight magic is hardly effective against OctoMamm, but here it looks to be the only way of dealing with it. I would complain about this being in an event scene where some people may not have been watching, but its hinted at in the Kaipo bar as well.
On that note, you might want to update Tellah's text when you first meet him - he still says he wants Cecil for his sword, but that conflicts with him saying not to use handheld weapons. Maybe have Tellah dismiss Cecil at first and only let him join because he has Rydia with him :P.

You get some nice rewards for fighting Jelly's! 3 Potions and a Life Potion is always good. And Ethers! It's best to hunt these things down!
Agreed, instead of being super annoying, the jelly family are almost like your best friends!

I felt forced to grind to deal with the MomBomb, trying to equip Agility rings to everyone did not work, nor did the Fire Shield turn the tides, moreso than just letting me survive.
I also had to grind a couple of levels for the MomBomb battle; this is one of the places where I'm very glad to have save states, as spending 5 minutes to walk from the save point, wade through a couple of inescapable random encounters, and watch an event unfold before getting into a battle where I know I've lost within the first 10 seconds would be highly frustrating otherwise.

Alright, let's see what Baigan is worth...

Starts off by killing Porom with a normal attack, wonderful. Proceeds to kill Tellah. And massacred... alright then.
This was also my experience. For Baigan, I found the twins in particular died too quickly (many runs ended with both of them dead before they could act), so I ended up just buffing with Palom and letting Porom initiate Twin; getting Comet was enough to kill off the magic arm, which significantly improved my odds. Success finally came when Yang decided to consistently target the physical arm. This was one of the most heavily RNG-dependent battles for me; possibly I should just have gone grinding for another level, but I feel like I was at an appropriate level for Cagnazzo.

I stand no chance against the MadOgres as of now.
Yang's 80% evasion + being in the back row + a whole lot of hoping was how I handled MadOgres.

And Eblan has been fully raided! As far as I'm aware. I made out with a bunch of excellent treasure, but I wonder if it was too excellent... while this is nice for the bold player, is there perhaps too much good stuff put in one place? I can't help but think the Palidor Ring and the Ragnarok Ring, with those incredible buffs would have been their own reward for a sidequest or something. Unless there's even better stuff waiting for me in the future.
Glad though I was to get it, I agree that the Eblan treasure is overpowered. The ring buffs were nice, but for me the real kickers were the Earth Hammer and Moonbeam Sword. Until you lose Cid, Quake + Stardust will end most battles before the enemy gets a chance to attack. It's probably good that they both count as metal, so you can't abuse them too much until after the Dark Elf. The Fireball Rod was also a pretty great find!

I doubt the Boomerang counts as metallic and a number of people could equip it possibly. It would likely help out against the Bats by casting Aero if nothing else.
The Boomerang was definitely useful in the Magnetic Cave; Aero was usually able to take out all the bats at once.

Well, I beat the Magus Sisters without much trouble, though they reflected Fire3 on me I tanked the damage and was relatively fine. Even a second reflected attack only brought some of the party down to critical rather than dead. Once I defeated Sandy it was basically over and I defeated Mindy before she could revive the other two.
Having Tellah cast Meteo twice on the Magus Sisters was the highlight of Zot for me :D.

Goodbye Tellah... I'll miss your massive MP pool, great healing, and Meteo usage in desperate situations. His death makes less sense here, I'm afraid... he uses spells that he clearly has enough MP for and uses a Meteo, which he still has enough MP to cast. What might be interesting is to have Tellah use a bunch of spells he doesn't know to show how enraged he is (and is quickly draining his MP pool) like Quake, Aero3, (I think I saw Level 4 spells shown in pictures), just have him use those and top it off with Meteo to show why he died. 1. He expended his MP, 2. He broke spell seals in a fit of emotion, 3. His drive for vengeance and blind rage cost him his life, but did severely hurt Golbez.
+1 for making Tellah pull out some higher level spells against Golbez. Maybe just level 3 so that the level 4 spells are still a surprise.

Hrmm.. Despite Valvalis having Storm and focusing on using Lit-2 to try and bring down the party, I could easily heal back up with Cecil and Rosa. Her spin doesn't make her immune to attacks and Zen Yang just kept on pummeling her. All in all, it was over quite quickly and I didn't even need to put on Lit Shields to mitigate the damage.
I had a harder time with Valvalis than Grimoire did, definitely needed those Lit Shields. I forget what my levels were at the time, but I probably wouldn't have been too far off.

I’m really surprised that the Zen staff has been THAT useful; I typically take it off during Zot and never put it back on, as his claws and control of the character become so critical.  This is interesting.
Calbrena's counter was also the first reason I had to take the Zen staff off, but luckily she went down to Light in time, and everybody was on their feet for the start of the Golbez fight.

Lugae was also very easy for me. I don't think he even got a turn in his second form.

The first opportunity is in Agart, and at that time, a Cure2 staff for Tellah is a tempting consideration over the Mythril staff.
Unfortunately, Tellah can't equip the Caduceus from Agart :(.

Paladin spell Light, Mist Dragon summon and a couple non-elemental spells like Pug.
Tofu also go down to free Comets via the Moonbeam Sword ;).

Well, true to what the Dwarf said he did take several eternities to beat.
Rubicant was a slog. Shiva takes forever to cast, which means Rydia's probably going to die before she finishes it, and I didn't have Ice-3 yet; fortunately it didn't take too much grinding to get Rydia levelled up enough to learn that. I found myself getting trapped in a cycle of reviving Rydia, having her start casting Ice-3, and then Rubicant switching to absorb mode just before Rydia got her spell off, which was a swing of 5000+ damage. Edge ended up tossing my entire store of Shurikens and Ninja Stars, and on a second playthrough I would definitely stock up on thowables from the store in Eblan.

Electric sword might be useful, I'll pick it up.
The Electric Sword is incredibly useful all the way to the Moon and back again!

MGE

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2019, 04:44:28 pm »
Hey, glad someone else got around to playing!   ;D

Based on some of Grimoire's notes, I've made the following changes:

BOAD CHANGELOG VER119 -> 120
---------------

- ZEN STAFF WAY TOO POWERFUL.  INCREASED COST TO 20,000 (UP FROM 5000) TO BE PROHIBITIVE TO PURCHASE ON FIRST TRIP TO FABUL.  REDUCED ADDITIONAL ATTACK POWER TO 0 DOWN FROM 4.
- INCREASED FLAME, FLOOD AND BLITZ POWER FROM 20 TO 25.
- INCREASED PEPPER BOMB (PBOMB) POWER FROM 25 TO 40.
- INCREASED PURGE (PALADINS SCHOOL) POWER FROM 33 TO 35.  DECREASED CAST DELAY FROM 4 TO 3.
- DECREASED CAST DELAY ON LUMIN FROM 6 TO 0.
- RENAMED ELECTRIC SWORD TO JOLT SWORD.
- RENAMED DRAIN SPEAR TO BLOOD SPEAR.
- INCREASED OGRE AXE WEAPON STRENGTH FROM 100 TO 175.
- INCREASED CAL MONSTER HP FROM 10,000 TO 60,000 TO MAKE SKIPPING CALBRENA MORE DIFFICULT.
- INCREASED SUPRNOVA SPEAR WEAPON STRENGTH FROM 135 TO 165.
- INCREASED SILVER KNIFE WEAPON POWER FROM 17 TO 20.

More changes to come.  We'll get this fixed up, polished and hopefully uploaded to RomHacking.net as an official hack, soon.  I just moved, so my Internet's been crazy lately, but I'm all set now.   :woot!:

August 20, 2019, 05:45:22 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I might just take out the ability to buy the Zen Staff period.  If I recall, there is a treasure box with it inside, so it would still be attainable, just later in the game.

It seems to be responsible for a lot of the imbalances so far.

For example, take this scenario: Meteo when cast by Tellah against the Magus Sisters should do massive damage, but not outright kill them.  A second cast should be needed.  Meteo should not be damaging one of the sisters, since it's Dark element and one of the sisters absorbs Dark.  After the two are destroyed, the remaining sister should revive the two, making the obvious Meteo strategy not work.  The idea is that all three sisters are tied together and their health must be managed so as to kill them all at roughly the same time, despite their resistances/absorption.  It seems though, that Meteo can be cast twice then Yang can quickly follow up and kill the last sister before she revives the other two (using the Zen staff).

Also, Valvalis should not be taking damage even from Zen staff during her spin phase.  I will check the script there and see what's up.  She is supposed to be able to take MAGIC damage while spinning, just not physical.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:46:34 pm by MGE »

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2019, 09:46:36 pm »
Hey, glad someone else got around to playing!   ;D
Me too ;D!

I might just take out the ability to buy the Zen Staff period.  If I recall, there is a treasure box with it inside, so it would still be attainable, just later in the game.

It seems to be responsible for a lot of the imbalances so far.
There is a Zen Staff in a treasure chest; I forget where I picked it up, but Grimoire's notes list it somewhere after Calbrena and before Lugae, which is pretty late in Yang's life to get it. Maybe move it to pre-Dark Elf Toroia? Even without having heard about its powers, I would have still bought it in Fabul since Yang has no weapons at that point, and once I had it equipped, it was a long time before I encountered a compelling reason to take it off. If I had started with some early claws and gotten the staff later, I might have decided to stick with the claws, which would have let me put Yang's other abilities to use.

Also, Valvalis should not be taking damage even from Zen staff during her spin phase.  I will check the script there and see what's up.  She is supposed to be able to take MAGIC damage while spinning, just not physical.
Yup, Valvalis was definitely taking physical hits during her spin.

Unfortunately I wasn't keeping detailed notes as I was playing since I hadn't originally planned to post anything here, so this won't make for nearly as interesting reading as Grimoire's commentary, but it'll have to do for now.

With access to the rest of the Underworld, I decided to head for the Sylph Cave first to grab loot and levels before taking on the boss fights in the Land of Summoned Monsters. Unfortunately, I forgot to talk to Yang's wife while I had the chance, so I already knew I'd have to make a second trip later, but at least at that point I'd be able to make a bee-line for the Sylphs.

I think I was about 3 points of Agility away from Kain getting to act before ToadLady and her croaking cronies, which would have completely nerfed those fights since the Toads won't act independently once ToadLady is dead. On the plus side, monsters apparently have infinite items, so Edge was able to steal what ended up being a lifetime supply of Ether2s, which were especially welcome here since Float is just so darn expensive.

The Warriors en route to the Land of Summoned Monsters should probably be toned down a bit. They were each getting twice as many turns as I was and attacking 3 times per turn; 2 Warriors was usually enough to annihilate everyone except Edge before anybody on my side got a turn, and an encounter with 5 Warriors meant they were dishing out 30 attacks between each of Edge's turns, which aside from being completely unfair also made that battle take forever. I saw no realistic option other than relying exclusively on Edge's godly evasion, and didn't even bother wasting resources on reviving the rest of the party. Edge dragged everyone else's corpses through the entire cave and went up at least 10 levels. I was, however, fortunate to make it completely through the area without meeting a single Arachne, though on a return visit I did have the displeasure of making their acquaintance :P.

After the semi-hellish trip to get to the bottom, having an exit tile is a nice touch, but it was practically the first thing I stepped on. Seeing myself unexpectedly back outside again was so not cool.

Ashura was a fun fight! I had to switch gear for Leviathan, but once I had better magic defense that fight went reasonably smoothly too. I think that was my first time seeing a level 4 spell :).

In the Sealed Cave, you might want to check on the Trap Door script - in vanilla, I'm pretty sure if you injured the Trap Door enough to trigger the monster after it Targets somebody but before it Disrupts them, the targetted character survives, but here the targetted character dies when the enemies swap.

EvilWall went down on my second attempt. It was actually one of the easier bosses, but this being a challenge hack and all, I was still feeling some increased tension watching it creep across the screen all too quickly.

Back on the surface, Odin looked to be pretty much impossible at my current level of power, but I did find a way to win the race. Or, looking back after having seen this in a few later fights now, maybe I just managed to bug him into not killing me?

I had some ideas about where I might find the remaining Paladin spells, but I was not expecting *that* to be the way to learn Judge! 11 down, 2 to go.

Ooh, neat music for the dance quest reward! Is that new? I don't remember it from vanilla.

I found a Prism from the chest near Bahamut. It looks like an out-of-battle usable item, but it has an empty description and does nothing when I use it. Maybe something for FuSoYa or Kain when I get them? Hmm, nope, still does nothing.

Even after pumping Agility as high as I can, nobody has time to get a spell off before Bahamut annihilates me, and with that counter physical attacks seem like a bad choice. Various hints suggest Bahamut is supposed to be fought once you get Kain back, so as much as I want to follow the advice of completing side quests as early as possible, I'm going to leave this one until later.

FuSoYa's stats seem unimpressive for his level, but I love that Regen is no longer a useless ability.

Okay, I lied, I tried Bahamut again with FuSoYa, but it made no difference. Still going to wait for Kain.

Last Arm's script might need some checking too, as it just sat there, letting me beat up on it until it died. And what a reward: Cecil finally gains some evasion!

Ooh, Scarmiglione was *not* happy about getting dropped into a ravine at the end of our last encounter.

Attempt #2 went much better, with the first 3 fiends falling to their weaknesses quickly. Valvalis was still challenging, but Rydia eventually saved us all. I decided to go back to the save point to sleep afterwards due to being low on MP.

I roamed the section with the 4 fiends for a little bit, hoping that maybe this was WarMech's bridge, but no luck there. On the other hand, I did get an Alert to summon a Dragon Mech, and stocked up on Samurai swords as Throw fodder for later.

Cecil was dealing 9999 damage per hit against the CPU. I really wanted to berserk him and watch the mayhem unfold, but that turned out to be a really bad idea, as he is required to do other things in this fight.

Woah, Kain has more MP than Rydia now! And he gains more than she does per level? I guess it's because his spells are so expensive.

Bahamut still wipes the floor with me, but in a couple of levels I might have enough HP so that Light isn't a guaranteed game over. I guess it's time to go exploring; I've got all 8 Crystal shards, but haven't found where to use them yet. Cecil still needs 1 Paladin spell (presumably from Bahamut), Rydia has room for 1 more Black, Rosa for 2 White. I'm not sure how many spells Edge and Kain are supposed to end up with, but I think I'm also missing some Summons.

Ah, that's what Prism is for. Thanks for the hint!

Speaking of hints, that explained what I was doing wrong on Mt. Ordeals.

Bug report (that you sort of already know about): if you use the non-key item Crystal Shards in the wrong order, you lose them.

And another: in a battle against a Warlock and a Kary on my way to try Bahamut again, I immediately told Edge to attack the Warlock on his first turn; while Edge was doing that (resulting in the Warlock's death, either to HP loss or the Death weapon effect), I told Cecil to attack the Kary. Before Cecil could act, Kain started flashing and waving his arms around despite it not normally being his turn next, but no menu window ever came up. The music kept playing, and the pause and run buttons still worked, but otherwise I was completely stuck and had to reload. Fortunately, changing the timing or target of Edge's attack bypassed the lock and I was able to complete the battle. I've actually had this happen in multiple different battles now, always involving Warlock + Kary, but sometimes also including a RedGiant.

After gaining some levels from all that running around, Cecil, Kain, and Rosa are lucky enough to survive Light, which lets me bring back Rydia and Edge. I'm guessing this is Kain's time to shine. I'm not sure how I did it, but I managed to stop Bahamut in his tracks (i.e. he took no more actions for the remainder of the battle despite having ample time) and Kain/Rydia brought him down fairly quickly after that. I only know about 2 more spells I'm still missing (Ultima and Rukh), unless I've forgotten about another Summon.

Time to assault the core! My entire party is at levels 56 - 57.

Random battles in the core aren't that bad, it turns out. There's some weapon swapping to hit the right weaknesses, but it seems like I've always got somebody, and sometimes multiple somebodies, who can hit some enemy for max damage, so it doesn't take long to tear through the random encounters.

Sigil Staff = love. Possibly OP, but I don't care, and it sure does fix Rosa's main problem in this part of the vanilla game. It also makes a great combo with Rydia's Punisher ;D.

All that Samurai Sword farming in the Giant made finding another one in a chest here rather underwhelming :P.

Found the Zeio, but the Pink Puffs were too much. As long as I'm careful they can't kill me, but I also can't kill them, and aside from their attacks changing with the music, it doesn't seem to be a time-based battle, since I looped through the music a couple of times while trying every single spell in everybody's arsenal. However, it takes a moment for their immunity to kick in, as I can actually land some blows and even kill one of them at the very beginning of the battle, so maybe if I were super fast... or maybe Ultima will be able to hit them?

Alright, I admit it: I cheated a bit and dropped the battle speed for the Plague fight. So sue me :P.

Wow, the Prism Shield is spectacular, *and* it grants a party-wide effect.

Also loving Magicite :).

Most of the core bosses have been manageable, but getting Ultima is going to be tough. I won't spoil the fight too much for anybody else reading, but I will say the intro was pretty awesome. Assuming he doesn't get hit first, Edge with 99 Agility is able to perform 1 action before the entire party perishes. Even with the nice stat bonuses from endgame gear, I don't think I can get anybody else to 99 Agility yet, so I might need to level up some more. I'm guessing the Zeio is supposed to be used in Toroia, so I'll have another trip through the core to gain experience before trying again.

Well, since I'm here anyway, let's see what Zeromus has in store... Okay, I think I see how this is going to play out.  The first few phases were pretty easy (Prism Shield FTW), but Rosa went down to the first BBang and I wasn't able to get her up in time to heal before the second BBang hit; RIP. Oh well, I'm getting low on Life potions anyway.

Zeio reward: even if it doesn't help against the Pink Puffs, who doesn't love an extra +15 to all stats?

Ooh, I got a new racial gauntlet on my way back to the core!

Alright, core revisited, here we go! Due to being the sole survivor(s) of some high EXP battles, Edge and Kain are both at level 74, with the rest of the team at level 70.

And the Pink Puffs are toast! Assuming whatever I get for a Pink Tail will be awesome, I farmed 5 of them. Thanks for not keeping them a rare encounter!

Ugh, all 5 Pink Tails consumed, but only 1 reward item. There's no way to split inventory items, right? I guess I'm going to be doing a lot of walking back and forth :/ Why did we have to park so far awaaaay? This has been the only part of the game that's boring.

I also spent some time wandering around on the long stairs down here that might qualify as a bridge hoping for WarMech, but no luck.

By the time I was ready to try for Ultima again, my levels were Kain: 86, Cecil: 87, Rosa/Rydia: 88, Edge: 92 (by far the highest levels I've ever had in any FFIV playthrough).

And Ultima is mine! Mwa ha ha!

I'm still missing Rukh (the library suggested it might have been a rare drop like some of vanilla's summons were, so I wasn't too enthusiastic about tracking it down, though there was a bit of seemingly irrelevant bird-related dialogue that might actually be a hint for where to look) and haven't found WarMech; there aren't many bridges in the game and aside from the limited-time-only passage inside the Giant and the 2 long stairs in the core, none of them qualify as long and I wouldn't want to encounter something like WarMech anywhere before the endgame, so I'm not sure where else to look.

Zeromus: Wow, that was a truly epic final battle, and once again, it was Rydia who saved my bacon when all hope seemed lost. It might have been easier if I had remembered to raid my cache for all those Megalixiers I've been saving up (I had 24), but, well, what can I say? Sometimes I'm unprepared like that :P. Since I had some idea of what was coming from my earlier attempt, I actually did Berserk Rydia with the Punisher - she was dealing over 5k damage per hit, and considering the speed difference vs. casting, I don't think I could have topped that DPS with magic. Cecil was spamming Light, and Edge was just attacking, though if I had brought my good consumables, he should have been spamming Skean instead. Kain was on Jump duty out of principle (good thing too...), and Rosa was busy with support magic since Holy was useless. The battle was going well until the Doom/Demi fest started, after which things became... frantic. I lost count of the number of times I was at most one second away from Game Over. Life potions were absolutely essential, and I'm not sure I would have survived without the Prism Shield. After somehow making it through that phase and regrouping during the next phase, it was pure luck that Kain was airborne when Ultima hit, otherwise that would have been the end. I had just enough time to get everybody revived in time for the finale. All in all, I think it took me over an hour to finally KO Zeromus, but it came with a well-earned sense of accomplishment :D.

MGE

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2019, 11:43:47 am »
This is an EXCELLENT bug report, and it's certainly enough to earn you an ingame credit; I'll stick a vague note somewhere referencing you!  :woot!:

Yup, Valvalis was definitely taking physical hits during her spin.

Definitely has to be fixed.

I think I was about 3 points of Agility away from Kain getting to act before ToadLady and her croaking cronies, which would have completely nerfed those fights since the Toads won't act independently once ToadLady is dead. On the plus side, monsters apparently have infinite items, so Edge was able to steal what ended up being a lifetime supply of Ether2s, which were especially welcome here since Float is just so darn expensive.

The Sylph cave is not intended to be as hard as the Feymarch descent, so completely outclassing normal monsters is mostly okay with me.  Knowing weaknesses often makes regular fights trivial-  this is so there isn't a grindy feel to the game, especially in dungeons where you can't run.  The infinite items on monsters is weird though, that's not intentional...  Edge should only be able to steal one item per fight.  Alas, this is outside of my ability to fix as a programmer so it probably stays.  As such, I'll have to look at the loot tables again with this is mind to make sure there are no Megalixers floating around on bosses that could trivialize the entire item system.

The Warriors en route to the Land of Summoned Monsters should probably be toned down a bit. They were each getting twice as many turns as I was and attacking 3 times per turn; 2 Warriors was usually enough to annihilate everyone except Edge before anybody on my side got a turn, and an encounter with 5 Warriors meant they were dishing out 30 attacks between each of Edge's turns, which aside from being completely unfair also made that battle take forever. I saw no realistic option other than relying exclusively on Edge's godly evasion, and didn't even bother wasting resources on reviving the rest of the party. Edge dragged everyone else's corpses through the entire cave and went up at least 10 levels. I was, however, fortunate to make it completely through the area without meeting a single Arachne, though on a return visit I did have the displeasure of making their acquaintance :P.

Ah, the warriors.  I may tone down their physical attacks, but give them a magical answer, too, specifically for Edge. 

They are there for a good purpose, which is to make sure a player can't float/fake their way through the cave.  Speed is a tricky thing in FF4.  When you're quite low in levels, some monsters can seem to have endless turns, but after some leveling, they get far fewer turns than you do.  The warriors don't appear quite often enough to be guaranteed on a trip downwards, so even still, it's possible to never see them.  This seems like I'm going against my own design principle of having RNG in the game, but the goal here is to make the Feymarch cave very, very, very hard to make it through before the Sealed Cave, relatively medium after, and easy after the Moon.  4-5 "tries" would sit well with me for a pre-Sealed Cave party's attempts to get to the bottom.

After the semi-hellish trip to get to the bottom, having an exit tile is a nice touch, but it was practically the first thing I stepped on. Seeing myself unexpectedly back outside again was so not cool.

I'm not sure whether you mean the exit tile at the bottom of the 4-treasure area which has always been there (after going to the lower ledge from the first Town area) or some other tile.  If it's some other tile, then that is a bug and is completely unintentional.  These have popped up completely randomly throughout the hack due to memory limitations.  If you can remember exactly where it is, that would help a lot.  I'll simply put a box or other non-traversal tile there to fix it.  I had to do this in the Watery Pass many times.

Ashura was a fun fight! I had to switch gear for Leviathan, but once I had better magic defense that fight went reasonably smoothly too. I think that was my first time seeing a level 4 spell :).

After struggling through the cave, Ashura and Leviathan should be nigh impossible; if you manage to conquer the cave on a pre-sealed cave trip, your reward are the town treasures, access to the shop and the library of hints.  I might make them harder.

In the Sealed Cave, you might want to check on the Trap Door script - in vanilla, I'm pretty sure if you injured the Trap Door enough to trigger the monster after it Targets somebody but before it Disrupts them, the targetted character survives, but here the targetted character dies when the enemies swap.
This has been a reoccurring issue with this hack which I’m not sure how to fix.  I think the original scripts were very delicately “stuck together” to prevent this.  Cagnazzo has this issue too, where he is removed from his gathered water form and still throws out a Drown.  I might need some expert help on this.
EvilWall went down on my second attempt. It was actually one of the easier bosses, but this being a challenge hack and all, I was still feeling some increased tension watching it creep across the screen all too quickly.
I’d be interested to know your strategy!  I’m surprised it took only 2 attempts.  He is supposed to be rather tough, as he’s a combination puzzle fight and DPS race.  My typical strategy is to load up everyone on their best weapons, Slow him, then put everyone into Berserk and hope he goes down right in time.  It may have been your weapons from the Underworld that helped so much.

Back on the surface, Odin looked to be pretty much impossible at my current level of power, but I did find a way to win the race. Or, looking back after having seen this in a few later fights now, maybe I just managed to bug him into not killing me?
This may be a bug.  He is supposed to be nearly impossible to kill in the standard method.  There are a couple hints throughout the game about his sword being made of Adamant (Atom Edge, in a couple words) and Adamant having “lots of valence electrons” or being a “good conductor of electricity”.  You need Kain; he is intended to Jump to survive the to Steel hits, then quickly revive Rydia so she can get off a Lit spell, triggering him to die.  It sounds like he may have bugged out for you and stopped attacking.  I’ll see what I can do about that.

Ooh, neat music for the dance quest reward! Is that new? I don't remember it from vanilla.
I’m not sure what music I stuck there, but there was an unused track in the original game.  I may have put it in here just so it was in the game somehere.
I found a Prism from the chest near Bahamut. It looks like an out-of-battle usable item, but it has an empty description and does nothing when I use it. Maybe something for FuSoYa or Kain when I get them? Hmm, nope, still does nothing.
The Prism is a key item for obtaining Holy.  If you go back into the Mysidian Wishing Tower after Bab-il, you’ll find all your former guest characters.  Each one of them has clues as to how to obtain ultimate weapons or spells.  The Elder will ask you for an item.
Even after pumping Agility as high as I can, nobody has time to get a spell off before Bahamut annihilates me, and with that counter physical attacks seem like a bad choice. Various hints suggest Bahamut is supposed to be fought once you get Kain back, so as much as I want to follow the advice of completing side quests as early as possible, I'm going to leave this one until later.
Being the ultimate summon in the game, Bahamut is designed to be an end-game encounter.  So, after you’ve dived the Lunar Subterranean area and grabbed some of the goodies, he’s a bit more manageable, but still requires a strategy.

FuSoYa's stats seem unimpressive for his level, but I love that Regen is no longer a useless ability.
This was kind of a lore thing, kind of a design thing.  He’s level 99 to indicate that he’s “ancient” and wise, but not overpowered as the CPU and Fiends battles are supposed to be the finale to the 2nd part of the game.

Last Arm's script might need some checking too, as it just sat there, letting me beat up on it until it died. And what a reward: Cecil finally gains some evasion!
Not sure if you were just Uber or he glitched out.  Last Arm waits several turns then blows up, dealing whatever is left of his 10,000 health pool to every party member.  He’s a nasty surprise for over zealous treasure seekers, right before a Save Point.
I roamed the section with the 4 fiends for a little bit, hoping that maybe this was WarMech's bridge, but no luck there. On the other hand, I did get an Alert to summon a Dragon Mech, and stocked up on Samurai swords as Throw fodder for later.
You were in the right area for WarMech.  That’s his bridge.  However, much in the same way he is in FF1, he’s a 1/64 encounter.  He’s not necessary to beat the game, but he is a fun fight and the reward is well worth it.

Cecil was dealing 9999 damage per hit against the CPU. I really wanted to berserk him and watch the mayhem unfold, but that turned out to be a really bad idea, as he is required to do other things in this fight.
Cecil shouldn’t be doing that much to the CPU…  unless you had Ragnarok equipped instead of Excalbur?  In which case, grats on the cool strategy.  Ragnarok has an unassuming battle power for a sword that late in the game, but it deals 4x damage to all races (including robots).

Woah, Kain has more MP than Rydia now! And he gains more than she does per level? I guess it's because his spells are so expensive.
That should probably be tweaked.  It doesn’t sit well with me, lore-wise.  His spells need to be more powerful, too.

Ah, that's what Prism is for. Thanks for the hint!
Oh, you got it!  Cool.
Speaking of hints, that explained what I was doing wrong on Mt. Ordeals.
Nice!  Glad you got that one.  What did you think of the encounter?  Was the dialogue okay?  Did you realize that this is the spot Kain stands on for the end of the game sequence?  😊

Bug report (that you sort of already know about): if you use the non-key item Crystal Shards in the wrong order, you lose them.
Yep, regrettable.  I need someone to help me find the location of the bit flags for individual key items so I can turn off whatever bit(s) are responsible for allowing items to be used in and out of battle.

And another: in a battle against a Warlock and a Kary on my way to try Bahamut again, I immediately told Edge to attack the Warlock on his first turn; while Edge was doing that (resulting in the Warlock's death, either to HP loss or the Death weapon effect), I told Cecil to attack the Kary. Before Cecil could act, Kain started flashing and waving his arms around despite it not normally being his turn next, but no menu window ever came up. The music kept playing, and the pause and run buttons still worked, but otherwise I was completely stuck and had to reload. Fortunately, changing the timing or target of Edge's attack bypassed the lock and I was able to complete the battle. I've actually had this happen in multiple different battles now, always involving Warlock + Kary, but sometimes also including a RedGiant.
☹ This has been recurring problem with hacking this game.  I’m not exactly sure what causes it, but usually it’s when a monster gets put into a status where their script doesn’t have a conditional and they wind up with a blank script and bug out the whole fight, soft locking the game.  I’ll take a look at all these encounters.  I wonder if I accidentally left a status effect on a weapon for someone and they’re causing monsters to become Stopped (bugs the game)…

** I have plenty more to say, but I'm hitting the 15k character cap again, so I'll just wait for someone else to reply post to put up the second half. 

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2019, 09:48:05 pm »
The infinite items on monsters is weird though, that's not intentional...  Edge should only be able to steal one item per fight.
Infinite steals appeared to be available throughout the entire game, though I really only exploited it a couple of times. My experience from vanilla is that stealing is mostly useless, so I frequently forget to even try stealing. I could have easily just bought a stack of Ethers and restored MP between battles, but since I didn't know whether there was going to be a store offering great but exorbitantly-priced items later on, I was trying not to spend any money I didn't have to.

Ah, the warriors.  I may tone down their physical attacks, but give them a magical answer, too, specifically for Edge. 
[...]
The warriors don't appear quite often enough to be guaranteed on a trip downwards, so even still, it's possible to never see them.
I was getting 2 Warrior + 2 Fiend battles pretty consistently (> 50%), so maybe I was just (un)lucky; the only 5 Warrior battle I had was from a trapped treasure chest. Everything else I encountered was manageable, though as mentioned I didn't see all of the monsters on my first trip.

I'm not sure whether you mean the exit tile at the bottom of the 4-treasure area which has always been there (after going to the lower ledge from the first Town area) or some other tile.
The 4-treasure area now has two exit tiles; it has been a while (quite a long while, now that I think of it) since my last playthrough of vanilla, but I only recall the one exit tile that returned you to the town, not the one below it that takes you all the way out to the underworld. Probably I just forgot about that one then :P.

After struggling through the cave, Ashura and Leviathan should be nigh impossible; if you manage to conquer the cave on a pre-sealed cave trip, your reward are the town treasures, access to the shop and the library of hints.  I might make them harder.
Asura was taking high damage from Rydia's level 3 spells and wasn't putting out much damage. On my first attempt, Leviathan's Ice-3 was lethal against my normal travelling gear, to say nothing of Ice-4, but giving Cecil and Kain some Ice Shields and swapping gear (particularly helmets) to prioritize magic defense brought Ice-3 down to double-digit damage and meant only Rydia and sometimes Edge died from Ice-4.

This has been a reoccurring issue with this hack which I’m not sure how to fix.  I think the original scripts were very delicately “stuck together” to prevent this.
This one's not a huge issue since there's a fairly small window of opportunity for triggering it. I never did kill a Trap Door outright to see what happens then.

I’d be interested to know your strategy!  I’m surprised it took only 2 attempts.  He is supposed to be rather tough, as he’s a combination puzzle fight and DPS race.  My typical strategy is to load up everyone on their best weapons, Slow him, then put everyone into Berserk and hope he goes down right in time.  It may have been your weapons from the Underworld that helped so much.
I don't think I was doing anything special here, just Slow and using my most damaging attacks. It may well have been my extra levels rather than my equipment that made the difference - the EXP gain in both of the previous areas was pretty decent, and for a while it seemed like somebody in my party was gaining a level after nearly every battle, so probably an average of 6 fights for a particular character to level up, and Edge was still far ahead of the rest of the team.

This may be a bug.  He is supposed to be nearly impossible to kill in the standard method. [...] It sounds like he may have bugged out for you and stopped attacking.  I’ll see what I can do about that.
He stopped attacking me right after I hit him with Stop, so I assumed him stopping was due to not being immune to Stop. On the other hand, this could be a status bug like other ones you've seen.

Not sure if you were just Uber or he glitched out.  Last Arm waits several turns then blows up, dealing whatever is left of his 10,000 health pool to every party member.  He’s a nasty surprise for over zealous treasure seekers, right before a Save Point.
Ah, if Last Arm is supposed to wait a few turns before acting, then yes, it is very likely that I simply killed it too quickly. I may have been slightly over-levelled due to running back and forth to revisit areas to shop or double-check info (or to try Bahamut again), and I did have all of the pre-core moon treasures at my disposal.

You were in the right area for WarMech.  That’s his bridge.  However, much in the same way he is in FF1, he’s a 1/64 encounter.  He’s not necessary to beat the game, but he is a fun fight and the reward is well worth it.
Aww, now I'm sad :'(. I really should have made more saves throughout the game so I could go back and try different things easily.

Cecil shouldn’t be doing that much to the CPU…  unless you had Ragnarok equipped instead of Excalbur?  In which case, grats on the cool strategy.  Ragnarok has an unassuming battle power for a sword that late in the game, but it deals 4x damage to all races (including robots).
Cecil had the Electric Sword on anytime there was something vaguely mechanical looking on the screen. Not everything turned out to be weak to lightning, but he was hitting for max damage against anything that was, including all 3 parts of the CPU.

That should probably be tweaked.  It doesn’t sit well with me, lore-wise.  His spells need to be more powerful, too.
Faster would be nicer too. Most of the time it wasn't worth waiting for Kain to cast when he could be attacking instead.

Nice!  Glad you got that one.  What did you think of the encounter?  Was the dialogue okay?  Did you realize that this is the spot Kain stands on for the end of the game sequence?  😊
I liked it! Nice explanation for why Kain gains that ability and it fits well with the earlier references. Having seen the game end sequence many times, I knew exactly where to go once I read the hint - I had been poking around the closed door on the summit during my earlier checks with Rydia and Kain.

☹ This has been recurring problem with hacking this game.  I’m not exactly sure what causes it, but usually it’s when a monster gets put into a status where their script doesn’t have a conditional and they wind up with a blank script and bug out the whole fight, soft locking the game.  I’ll take a look at all these encounters.  I wonder if I accidentally left a status effect on a weapon for someone and they’re causing monsters to become Stopped (bugs the game)…
If it helps any, I don't think I ever saw a Kary do anything. Warlocks I learned to annihilate ASAP after seeing them steal 100% of Cecil's MP with a single Osmose, so the Karys had plenty of time to do whatever they wanted. I've got a save state 1 step away from the first battle I found that triggered the bug and it's still easy to reproduce. Edge was equipped with ManEater, Death, Finesse, Master, and Raiden, so there are at least 2 effects in play there.

MGE

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2019, 10:23:03 pm »

After gaining some levels from all that running around, Cecil, Kain, and Rosa are lucky enough to survive Light, which lets me bring back Rydia and Edge. I'm guessing this is Kain's time to shine. I'm not sure how I did it, but I managed to stop Bahamut in his tracks (i.e. he took no more actions for the remainder of the battle despite having ample time) and Kain/Rydia brought him down fairly quickly after that. I only know about 2 more spells I'm still missing (Ultima and Rukh), unless I've forgotten about another Summon.
Although Mage will make it into the final game, I’m not sure I left it in?  I might have forgotten where I put it lol.  But Rukh, yes, is for sure in the game, and casts the rare Aero4 spell.  You are right about the hint-  you have to steal the “egg” from a Rukh near Eblan.  This is the summoner’s orb.
There is another spell, which you haven’t mentioned called “Miracle” which heals the entire party of all status effects.  The references to it may be too vague, though…  It is in a hidden passageway and uses the dialogue from townsfolk throughout the game where they say things like, “…After Dark there is only the Void; nothing left.”  The spell is in Agart.  😉

Time to assault the core! My entire party is at levels 56 - 57.
An appropriate level to begin Zeromus prep. 

Random battles in the core aren't that bad, it turns out. There's some weapon swapping to hit the right weaknesses, but it seems like I've always got somebody, and sometimes multiple somebodies, who can hit some enemy for max damage, so it doesn't take long to tear through the random encounters.
Good!  I wanted to avoid a ridiculously hard descent to Zeromus, particularly because treasure diving is probably needed for some setups, based on how thorough a player has been in collecting items.

All that Samurai Sword farming in the Giant made finding another one in a chest here rather underwhelming :P.
The Samurai equipment (which badly needs to be tweaked) is Edge’s black magic set.  The swords do poor physical damage, but increase his WIS by a lot.  Coupled with the other Samurai items, his Ninja magic can do some serious work, but ultimately, it pales in comparison to Rydia’s so…  I might rework this.

Found the Zeio, but the Pink Puffs were too much. As long as I'm careful they can't kill me, but I also can't kill them, and aside from their attacks changing with the music, it doesn't seem to be a time-based battle, since I looped through the music a couple of times while trying every single spell in everybody's arsenal. However, it takes a moment for their immunity to kick in, as I can actually land some blows and even kill one of them at the very beginning of the battle, so maybe if I were super fast... or maybe Ultima will be able to hit them?
Hmm…  I’m not sure how to make them completely impervious quickly enough.  There is a special item needed to kill them called Dark Matter that is only found deep in the Lunar Core from a rare monster called a Zemusite.  The idea is that they increment their invincibility bit, then you decrement it with Dark Matter, you kill them, then finally get Pink Tails.  I’ll fix this.

Alright, I admit it: I cheated a bit and dropped the battle speed for the Plague fight. So sue me :P.
Hahah, fair enough.  He’s quite a fight.  He’s supposed to “work backwards”, as in, he sets Doom (or Count as it was called) then keeps everyone alive so that you can’t reset the counter.  The idea is to balance between killing yourself and him, having to put a lot of effort into making sure you die at just the right times.  I’ll tweak him a bit to make him more effective for that strategy and less just a DPS race.

Most of the core bosses have been manageable, but getting Ultima is going to be tough. I won't spoil the fight too much for anybody else reading, but I will say the intro was pretty awesome. Assuming he doesn't get hit first, Edge with 99 Agility is able to perform 1 action before the entire party perishes. Even with the nice stat bonuses from endgame gear, I don't think I can get anybody else to 99 Agility yet, so I might need to level up some more. I'm guessing the Zeio is supposed to be used in Toroia, so I'll have another trip through the core to gain experience before trying again.
So glad you liked it!  That encounter is the crown jewel of this hack, as it’s completely made from scratch.

Well, since I'm here anyway, let's see what Zeromus has in store... Okay, I think I see how this is going to play out.  The first few phases were pretty easy (Prism Shield FTW), but Rosa went down to the first BBang and I wasn't able to get her up in time to heal before the second BBang hit; RIP. Oh well, I'm getting low on Life potions anyway.
Yep, an 8-phase fight.  I hope the final parts worked correctly…  Namely where he becomes invulnerable and it becomes a survival test.

And the Pink Puffs are toast! Assuming whatever I get for a Pink Tail will be awesome, I farmed 5 of them. Thanks for not keeping them a rare encounter!
Ugh, all 5 Pink Tails consumed, but only 1 reward item. There's no way to split inventory items, right? I guess I'm going to be doing a lot of walking back and forth :/ Why did we have to park so far awaaaay? This has been the only part of the game that's boring.
Sadly, yes, you can’t split that item.  ☹  This is semi-intentional.  I want PinkPuffs to 100% drop the tail, but I don’t want the encounter to be a solo Pink Puff, so this is just the way it has to be, sadly.

By the time I was ready to try for Ultima again, my levels were Kain: 86, Cecil: 87, Rosa/Rydia: 88, Edge: 92 (by far the highest levels I've ever had in any FFIV playthrough).
The game is relatively beatable at 70, and I’d say certainly beatable at 85, so you’re right in the right spot.  This is intentional; I wanted to use the entire breadth of possible levels.

Zeromus: Wow, that was a truly epic final battle, and once again, it was Rydia who saved my bacon when all hope seemed lost. It might have been easier if I had remembered to raid my cache for all those Megalixiers I've been saving up (I had 24), but, well, what can I say? Sometimes I'm unprepared like that :P. Since I had some idea of what was coming from my earlier attempt, I actually did Berserk Rydia with the Punisher - she was dealing over 5k damage per hit, and considering the speed difference vs. casting, I don't think I could have topped that DPS with magic. Cecil was spamming Light, and Edge was just attacking, though if I had brought my good consumables, he should have been spamming Skean instead. Kain was on Jump duty out of principle (good thing too...), and Rosa was busy with support magic since Holy was useless. The battle was going well until the Doom/Demi fest started, after which things became... frantic. I lost count of the number of times I was at most one second away from Game Over. Life potions were absolutely essential, and I'm not sure I would have survived without the Prism Shield. After somehow making it through that phase and regrouping during the next phase, it was pure luck that Kain was airborne when Ultima hit, otherwise that would have been the end. I had just enough time to get everybody revived in time for the finale. All in all, I think it took me over an hour to finally KO Zeromus, but it came with a well-earned sense of accomplishment :D.
All in all, sounds like the fight went well.  I never tested the final phases (still gotta do that…) so I’m surprised he didn’t bug out and crash the game.  WHEW.

Thank you SO MUCH for such a detailed report; definitely gonna make some major changes.  I’ll let you know where your credit gets inserted, if you ever wanna play through again.  Thanks again! 😊
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:28:59 pm by MGE »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2019, 07:44:23 am »
Sorry I was away, I was trying to fix the immunity bug, and it didn't seem right for me to continue without doing so. I have made it fairly far as well. Admittedly these notes are from roughly two weeks ago, but since there was no post, I couldn't edit them in.

So let's start exploring the Underworld.

I wanted to check out if there were any other Gold based foes I had missed, so I headed to the Three Step Peninsula and fought the GoldWorm's as well.

I see, so the Maneater increases Edge's speed by 15, but lowers his Wisdom and Will by 15, that is troubling...
Onto the Feymarch! Cecil learned Float long ago so that shouldn't be an issue.

Wow. Arachne just try to cast Quake ineffectually and have Ether2's to steal. Well... guess I'll be here a while. *Reverse Gravity, kill whole party*... nevermind.

Ah, so Arachne's can be Petrified. Excellent to know.

Wiped out by Fiends and Swordsman. I see that Edge's Maneater Knife tears through them, so I should remember that to try and minimize the damage their strong x3 attacks do.

Raiden Ring, eh? It appears to be a +15 Speed Ring, but judging by its name... I wonder about something...

Ah Geez, the Clapper Dragon. this guy can be bad enough in the Vanilla game. Oy... only the girl with the Dragon Rose Gauntlets survived that one using the Punisher Rod to barely heal enough to survive (though dealing roughly 1000 damage per hit)

Arachne Can be Silenced though so they can be made harmless, well time to take some Ether2's.

The Raiden Ring does just as I had hoped, it seems to make the wearer immune to Electric attacks.

Bless heals MP by quite a lot! I will have to remember that for MP intensive battles later.

Before I try to get the rest of the treasure in the Road to Feymarch, I should first go to the Feymarch to rest and save.

Rat Tail is still in the same place, good to know.

Imp Sword, eh? How intriguing... doesn't effect stats it seems.

Hmm, I'll go with the Nodachi over the ManEater for now. Now that I know I can use Bless to refill everyone's MP using Ninja magic more often seems plausible.

Red Eyes are impossible to beat at these levels. It's basically a gameover if you run into them right now.
Well, I managed to make it out after a dozen+ attempts with the Imp Sword and Nodachi Katana. So it seems the Imp Sword casts a full heal?

Alright, let's head for the top then...

Whew, two purges, a bunch of Man-Eater/Imp Sword hits, a Weak from Kain and a bunch of healing from Rosa and we won on our first try. Now I just need to make it back... or I can use Exit, which I think I will.

I took one step outside of the dungeon, after barely surviving the encounter with the five Warriors and was thankfully spared. Pound only hit one party member and Rydia and Edge could mop up the trash. Talk about an attack of opportunity... The Death Knife has some decent bonuses of +3 all around.

Alright back down to the Feymarch we go.

I just noticed Kain's Vitality is ridiculously low. Only 20, when Rosa, the second lowest has 28.

Whoa, you can steal Elixirs from Fiends? I will have to remember that.

And dead... let's try that again then.
And made it back, alright then...

Ugh, the Drain Spear still looks to be as unusable as the original... It hits now at least.

"Aether was the first element..." Well, that should clarify what comes first.

Force Armor, seems like another Dragon Quest reference, if memory serves. Not that great from a simple look. While it has good Magic Defense, making one invulnerable to the first couple hits of a magic spell, it has no physical defense at all, despite the +5 to Wis/Will, it doesn't seem like a good replacement for the Magic Armor or Cecil's Mythril Mail.

And the Aether Crystal Shard, meaning I have all of the Crystal Shards now.

Defense Bow might be good... Goodness me the Defense Bow nearly doubles Rosa's attack and she gets a bit of Vitality to boot, excellent. More Death Arrows, which I'll save.

"Luna will set Reflect on all party members! Wow!" Wow indeed! I'll try not to miss it.

I love the names you came up with for each and every Paladin spell, they are so thematically appropriate.

Interesting to see a denizen of the Feymarch mention the Moon bosses as "rogue monsters."

Oh, okay. So I didn't miss any Dance check after all, it's on the Moon it seems.

"Whips do x4 damage to all races of monsters" Nevermind what I said earlier.

Change Whip and Power Staff... sure, I'll pick them up. The Power Staff doesn't increase anything it seems, but it has crazy attack!

I can finally buy a Crystal for my other magic user, great! I'll guess that the Death Helm protects from Death then.
Golden Axe, eh? I hope its better than the other Axes so far...

So let's get obliterated by Asura!

Oh this library is filled with a bunch of nice lore and hints.
"Asura, three faces, three weaknesses". Very nice idea. "There are six chocobo forests, though only most humans know of four" Terrific hint, and a nice lampshade.

I did forget to pick up Mage while I was back in the Upper World, bah... ah well.

Um... I think Asura's AI script broke. She attacked Rydia once, then the text "The Queen Stands Still" appeared. I used Scan, it said she was weak to everything, but she was no longer doing anything, so I buffed everyone up with plenty of Shells/Protects/Fasts, then used three Fire-4's and Asura never reacted. Well, Cecil and Rydia got a new spell out of it.

Levels were 37 - Cecil, Kain, 39 - Rydia, 33 - Edge, 38 - Rosa.

So let's try Leviathan then.

Power to resist ice... only two people have that. Cecil and Kain, let's see if it makes a difference.

It was going very well for a while. I'm not sure what I did but both Edge and Rosa were being dealt one damage from Ice-3 and Ice-4 and only Rydia was taking substantial damage from it. But I got a little careless and I was hit with a Storm and before I could react I was hit by Drown. I'll try the Black Robe for Rydia and give the Mythril Robe a rest.

Second time went much better. I started with Berserking Kain when I got the chance and used Cecil and Rosa to keep my head above water (bad pun.) Ice-3 and Ice-4 were reprieves and after Rydia got a 7000+ damage Lit-3 and Berserk Kain hit Leviathan again and again for roughly 2500+ damage an attack, I managed to pull through. Storm was dealt with by using Cur2-All's, Flash, and other basic healing. All in all it was a pretty good fight. You have to stay on your toes. Unlike the original game it isn't so much a damage race to have Big Wave not destroy you, which is refreshing because so many of the optional summons (Leviathan, Odin, and Bahamut) are all damage races to try and prevent them from using their big attacks. Great! Cecil learned Dawn from this as well!

Now onto the considerably more difficult Sylph's Cave. I am dreading the Malboro already.

So the trees use Dark Wave... wonderful. Well, they seem to be killed by one Purge, so I will remember that. The Spirits though are Undead so I have to be careful with the Punisher Rod, probably best to switch to the Stardust Rod or the Flash Whip.

So the Morbols only use Bad Breath, alright that means that my Ribbon wearer will be fine, who I should make Rydia since she can take care of the Malboro's the fastest, since they are now weak to Ice to a heavy extent.

Ah, the Hex Dagger I was told about earlier, wonderful.

And made it to the Sylphs!

Master Suit and Finesse Helm! I remember they mentioned the Finesse Helm in the Training Room.  Ah the Master Suit raises Str, Agi, Vit by 15, but decreases the other stats by the same.

All stats +10! I can't argue with that.

Oh! The Hex Dagger casts Weak. That is important to remember.

Phoenix Ring, oh? Well if this is like the Raiden Ring it will protect me from Fire, great!

FaeFlute?! Wha...? Rydia can equip it, hmm... It murders her Strength and Agility. It is too risky to try out in the Sylph Cave, but I'll remember it. Everyone can equip it actually. How strange... It has miniscule attack and -15 stat penalties. Oh! It confuses all foes. That is rather important to know!

Eech! Even the Drain Sword lost pretty much anything it had going for it with -15 stats all around. A shame.
...Oh. The Mage Summon is down here. Alright. Also it seems the Ghosts may be easier than their Evil Dreamer counterparts from Vanilla in that they no longer try to put to Sleep which could be a major headache, and makes the user of the Ribbon all the more important.

Dragon Arrows! I will remember those.

Well, alot of arrow types and the Mage Summon were down there, so I guess it was worth it. Was the Sylph Cave always easier than Feymarch? I can never quite recall.

Well, with Asura, Leviathan, and Mage, along with Lumin and Dawn, it's time to head into the Sealed Cave.
Rydia has enough speed to stop the TrapDoor's in their tracks, so that's nice.

Holy Robes, nice! +15 Will, wonderful. Haha, Holy and Esper Robes in the same room, cute.

Normal enemies that try to cast magic fail more often than succeed now. Only Rosa has only 50% magic evasion while everyone else has Magic Evasion in the 90%'s is this intended?

Ah, finally the Light Sword. In the normal game by this point it is not that great compared to some other swords you would have gotten in the Feymarch and Sylph Cave, but here it may be an actual upgrade.

Not... as good as I thought it was going to be. The Moonbeam Blade is just that good, hmm?

Ooph! That version of Shock is just terrible, dealing less than 100 damage to one enemy. I guess the Light Sword will remain useless, except against Holy Weak foes.

Another Finesse Helm, excellent!

Well the Sealed Cave was a bit easy. The normal foes posed little threat and the TrapDoors are just a bit obnoxious, but that is similar to Vanlla if you were to go for the optional stuff first. Now I was told about a singular bridge guarded by WarMech... could the Sealed Cave bottom be that?

Well, I failed to prevent Crush, it had to be only just so. New plan then.
Barely managed it,  but I did it... I used Slow with Rosa once, then with Cecil I Berserked Rydia using the Punisher Rod. I attacked with Edge and Kain until I eventually Berserked them as well. I cast Haste on Rydia and used Light as much as I could with Cecil, dealing a good 2000 damage. In the end, it turned out for the best. We won, if only by a hair.

42 - Cecil, Kain,  43 - Rosa, Rydia,  39 Edge

Well, Rydia just learned Nuke, that could be game changing.

And back to the surface I go! I guess first thing I should do is visit Sheila to tell her about Yang.

Wok Hoak? Is that something I should know? Next should be to try my hand at Odin. This should be good...

60,000 HP... kills you in 10 seconds... I guess try for that Lightning thing? Didn't happen. I don't think he's literally beatable as of now. It likely involves jumping with Kain and all that jazz as I have no one to currently evade his attack that comes out within the first 10 seconds and hits for 9999.

Well, if you get something for beating him early, I'm not getting it, I'm afraid. For now I'll head back to get Sylph.
Oh... Adamant is still gained in the normal way. I thought from the mention of Adamant Fangs it was referring to the way to get the Adamant Ore, ah well.
Ah, that's why you didn't call Fast as Haste. Since Haste is a separate Ninja Magic, cool.
I now have Dusk and Dawn, excellent, along with Invis and Haste, so I have access to full party buffs,
Fugu Fork, another odd name I don't recognize.
And I will have to call it here. I made quite a bit of progress today.

Ah, my next post was never refreshed, ah well. It's been a couple of days since I last played, I'm hoping to finish most of the rest today.

Can't forget to look for Rukh...! Well after a little exploring I found that the area around Agart had the Roc Baby and Rocs, so I stole from the Roc Baby and they had the Rukh summon, so that's all of the four item summons down!

Well, I think I've done all of the sidquests I can for now. I just need to grab Excalibur before I leave for the moon...
Oh! New Paladin Spell too! Very nice. And.. the Excalibur doesn't appear as good as the Moonbeam Blade, hmm... Well! It casts what looks to be Blaze for quite a good amount of damage.

Alright then, off to the Moon!

Alright! I did learn all the dances! Ah, that was the "ritual" to know for Life3, how cute. That leaves the Crystal Shards, Holy and Evil spells then.

Well, next is the Lair of the Father, but I doubt that will go well...

May as well stock up on Ethers and Cur2All while I'm here. Divine Shield, hmm? Well, I'll see what it does. Can't tell immediately, maybe absorbs or nullifies Holy?

That is a really cool effect for Judge! Still not sure what it does though, since it did only 1 damage to the target.
There... may be something wrong with the Kary/Warlock/RedGiant formation... the first time I entered I ran into one and Rydia started to make weird motions, then the game softlocked. The second time I ran into them, everything was fine. The third time I ran into them, the same as the first. I might not be able to make it through the Lair of the Father if this happens often.

...I just took a look in FF4kster, and Kary for some reason has 9 scripts in her AI, when she is a ridiculously basic foe. I think her AI index was changed. Their normal index is 82.

Alright, Judge just dealt 8000 damage to a RedGiant, a more than impressive number!
Well Rydia just survived alone against a Lunar D. It took out everyone with its physical attacks Except for Rydia who was still wearing the Dragon Rose Gloves.

Handled it much better the second time, since Edge knows Invis to keep everyone safe.

Third time even better, Use the Hex Knife to cast Weak, and finish it.

While the Samurai Armor gives Edge a massive amount of Defense, it decreases his physical and magical evasion to nothing. I may try it out but in the Lair of the Father it's too dangerous.

I... don't know what the problem is with Kary. I can't get her AI script not to break the game. Sorry about that.
"I don't remember this chest being here..." "Monsters!" "That would be why."

And despite them now being Weak to... Weak, I was killed by Fire4 from the Red Dragon after he cast it twice.

Hmm... I just now noticed... it seems as if the Aegis Shield (or possibly elemental resistance shields...) is giving the defense to everyone, wha...? I know that's not intended. How did that happen? Was this somehow my hack's fault?

I should try to fix that...

Two weeks later and I still haven't figured out the issue. Hrmm... I felt unsure about playing further with this unintended consequence.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2019, 08:06:20 am »
For what it's worth, I can confirm that infinite steals is and always has been a thing in FFIV. An easy "fix" would be to beef up the level of any monster with an OP steal item. Steal success percentage is based directly on the monster's level. If the monster is a higher level than the thief, it's really hard to steal. Also, level doesn't do very much else in FFIV, so you can jack it up with very little other consequence.

Latest Demo

MGE

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2019, 03:38:07 pm »
Alright, I'm going to go back through the thread and compile a list of all the bugs/changes that need to happen and put them into this post with  notes.  Stand by.

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2019, 11:02:39 pm »
Although Mage will make it into the final game, I’m not sure I left it in?
Yup, Mage was in the game and I found it. I ended up with 14 summons for Rydia, and Rukh would make 15. Edge and Kain had 7 spells each, and Cecil/Rosa/Rydia each had a full screen of Black/White magic as appropriate. I did get Miracle and Life3, but didn't put them to much use, mostly due to their casting times.

The Samurai equipment (which badly needs to be tweaked) is Edge’s black magic set.  The swords do poor physical damage, but increase his WIS by a lot.  Coupled with the other Samurai items, his Ninja magic can do some serious work, but ultimately, it pales in comparison to Rydia’s so…  I might rework this.
I don't see any huge problem with giving Edge a magical option; there are a couple of fights against physical-immune enemies where swapping to magic swords could be useful.

Hmm…  I’m not sure how to make them completely impervious quickly enough.  There is a special item needed to kill them called Dark Matter that is only found deep in the Lunar Core from a rare monster called a Zemusite.  The idea is that they increment their invincibility bit, then you decrement it with Dark Matter, you kill them, then finally get Pink Tails.  I’ll fix this.
Ah, that would put Adamant Armour back out of reach for most players. I never encountered a Zemusite, but based on references to the connections between chocobos and slimes, I was thinking the Chocobo Gauntlets might have been the key. Instead I just had Kain SuperNova them to death on his first turn, which is why his level fell behind everyone else's.

So glad you liked it!  That encounter is the crown jewel of this hack, as it’s completely made from scratch.
When I saw what was waiting for me while traversing the map, I knew it was going to be good ;).

Yep, an 8-phase fight.  I hope the final parts worked correctly…  Namely where he becomes invulnerable and it becomes a survival test.
Scan wasn't working and I wasn't keeping track of the damage I inflicted; I assume each phase was a full 65,535 HP, for a total of 524,280 HP (probably + any overkill damage between phase switches)? Definitely the beefiest boss in the game, which is fitting for the final battle. I did notice the invulnerability, but I was too busy picking up the pieces after Ultima to confirm exactly when it wears off. He does start taking full damage before the "Now! Attack!" message comes up, though.

Sadly, yes, you can’t split that item.  ☹  This is semi-intentional.  I want PinkPuffs to 100% drop the tail, but I don’t want the encounter to be a solo Pink Puff, so this is just the way it has to be, sadly.
The drop rate was fairly high, but I wasn't getting a Pink Tail after every fight, maybe every 2-3 fights on average. This is probably the only place in the game where you can farm key items, and farming them in vanilla in prohibitively time consuming, so I'm not surprised the game doesn't handle this situation as well as could be desired.

Thank you SO MUCH for such a detailed report; definitely gonna make some major changes.  I’ll let you know where your credit gets inserted, if you ever wanna play through again.  Thanks again! 😊
You're welcome! Based on what I know now, there are a few things I would have done differently in a replay, so I can definitely see myself playing a later version of this again :).

Wow. Arachne just try to cast Quake ineffectually and have Ether2's to steal. Well... guess I'll be here a while. *Reverse Gravity, kill whole party*... nevermind.
Yeah, the only time I was ever happy to see Reverse Gravity was when I wasn't already floating, because in those cases it's usually a warning that you had better get everybody Floated right now, and some warning is better than no warning!

[Arachnes, Swordsmen, Clapper Dragons, and Red Eyes, oh my!]
Wow, you had a very different list of encounters than I did. I never saw any Red Eyes or Clapper Dragons, and missed the Arachnes on my first trip.

Force Armor, seems like another Dragon Quest reference, if memory serves. Not that great from a simple look. While it has good Magic Defense, making one invulnerable to the first couple hits of a magic spell, it has no physical defense at all, despite the +5 to Wis/Will, it doesn't seem like a good replacement for the Magic Armor or Cecil's Mythril Mail.
The Force Armour was definitely situational, but it was great when you needed it.

Golden Axe, eh? I hope its better than the other Axes so far...
Oh, I remember reading this too, but I never did come across the Golden Axe. Probably comes as a rare drop or from an enemy I didn't meet or failed to steal from, like the new Gold enemies perhaps?

So the Morbols only use Bad Breath, alright that means that my Ribbon wearer will be fine, who I should make Rydia since she can take care of the Malboro's the fastest, since they are now weak to Ice to a heavy extent.
At least you get a bit of time before Bad Breath hits, so once you know to prioritize killing them over the other things that also need to die quickly, there is just enough time to do so before they use it.

"I don't remember this chest being here..." "Monsters!" "That would be why."

And despite them now being Weak to... Weak, I was killed by Fire4 from the Red Dragon after he cast it twice.
Oh, I wasn't expecting a weakness to Weak. Since there was both a Red and a Blue, my strategy was to cast Reflect on everybody and let their opposing elements take each other out. After the first one died, the second one was weak enough that a single spell from Rydia (the only direct attack I made all battle due to their counter) was enough to finish it off.

For what it's worth, I can confirm that infinite steals is and always has been a thing in FFIV.
Ah, good to know. All I ever got for my trouble in vanilla was a bunch of useless Tonics, so I don't think I ever tried stealing from the same enemy multiple times there :P.