News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How come N64 and Playstation One games are never hacked?  (Read 9351 times)

question4477

• View Profile
How come N64 and Playstation One games are never hacked?
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:07:38 pm »
There are quite a few Mario 64 Mods but how come there hasn't been for other Nintendo 64 games like Rayman 2 or Mario Kart or for any Playstation One games?

Candra Software

• I'm a thing of the past now
    • View Profile
Re: How come N64 and Playstation One games are never hacked?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 10:46:21 pm »
As for N64, I think it's because it's one of those systems that's hard to program and emulate.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 11:28:24 pm »
It's a bit ironic that complex edits exist for Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii, but not for Mario Kart 64.

When it comes to something like Rayman 2, I suppose no one has ever been sufficiently interested to tackle the complex task of hacking it.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 11:50:47 pm »
Theres a website dedicated to PS1 hacking (mostly). Insane difficulty. I added about half their hacks to the site here but didn't add the last 2 pages worth of hacks.

question4477

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 03:43:26 am »
Theres a website dedicated to PS1 hacking (mostly). Insane difficulty. I added about half their hacks to the site here but didn't add the last 2 pages worth of hacks.

I thought that the difficulty involved might have had something to do with it and it would be far too time consuming - Most of the Mario 64 mods I have seen have come across as cheap and tacky. But this one has taken me by surprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH7XRlrio_g

It would be great to see the same thing done with other classics like Crash Bandicoot 2.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:22:34 pm by question4477 »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 04:51:50 am »
N64, some would say because it is hard to emulate well (we are still seeing somewhat big leaps in it, http://www.libretro.com/index.php/first-ever-revolutionary-n64-vulkan-emulator-coming-soon-only-for-libretro-parallei/ ) and it is not the easiest to fiddle with. Personally I would say it is because it has aged horribly, was something of a failure at the time (nowhere but North America really cares about it) and most of the good games for it (the list of which you would probably have space free if you counted on all your digits) have since appeared on other systems which are nicer to play with or appeared on nicer to play with systems at the time -- Resident Evil and Tony Hawk games are great candidates for hacks, why on earth would I do the N64 versions?.
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=27&game=&category=&perpage=50&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go
Now if you expanded your list to be Mario 64, Goldeneye, Zelda and F-Zero X we might be able to say other than.

PS1, there are many more mods owing to there being many more games. Emulation does not have the best rep and having fought with epsxe plugins at times I can see how that arose, less complex emulators were nice but often lacking in some way too. Also patches can be harder as there were not exactly scene standards at the time, about 10 iso formats in common rotation (nrg, clonecd, standard iso, bin+cue,disc juggler, cdrwin and the list goes on) and you then don't even have the option of dumping your game to bypass it. Many times you can convert and/or go file by file but it is still annoying. It might also be that some of the games have not aged the best but if I am also dealing with the N64 as part of this little exercise then it is not even close.
Also http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=17&game=&category=&perpage=50&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go
Poke around some of the trainer sites as well. The PSP's PS1 emulation saw things have a bit of resurgence as well, alas most of it was game specific rather than "look at this site" like you can do for here with 16 bit or various other sites for GBA and DS.
To add to the iso fun then I might also speculate that downloading a 600 meg game is still effort where I might have a complete 16 bit, GBA or older set and downloading a DS game is no big deal either, to say nothing of individual games (give or take some bigger DS ones) is trivial where not so many people host PS1 games.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 07:05:55 am »
There are quite a few Mario 64 Mods but how come there hasn't been for other Nintendo 64 games like Rayman 2 or Mario Kart or for any Playstation One games?
No idea about N64, but there are several mods out there for the PSX. Anyways, difficulty has nothing to do with the number of hacks: it's just lazy people who don't want to work without an already made tool that does magic for ya.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 09:21:08 am »
Yeah, I know how that feels. However, I remember one guy trying to hack a Conker game before something happened. I am not sure what, but the site that shows the hack screenshots are no longer there. As for PSX, I wouldn't mind seeing more hacks to it, especially to the Snatcher and Policenauts games. Heck, I wouldn't even mind there being English fandubs of the PSX versions.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 10:21:09 am »
N64: In general It's half because emulation isn't that great even for testing (yet), and half because of what plagued the system itself: small library and cross-platform games (usually but not always) have better alliterations elsewhere.  Mario has tools and the like, and most don't feel much reason to go beyond that.

PSX: There's a lot more than N64, but still that many.  My theory is the main problem here is that even researching a PS1 game sounds daunting on paper because it's in CD format.  However, since NDS carts are in a somewhat similar situation and has had somewhat more effort in spots for something so new, lack of tools is probably the biggest reason.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 11:38:05 am »
N64 hackers don't really come to these boards is all.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 12:14:48 pm »
There is still quite a number of PS1-JPN rpgs left, but so far there has been no interest in it.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 03:37:17 pm »
There is still quite a number of PS1-JPN rpgs left, but so far there has been no interest in it.
I remember seeing screenshots of this one Japan-only RPG that looked like it took place in some sort of Victorian Era (at least I think I have the right one) England type of setting but I forgot the name.  It was sprites on a 2D plane.  Either way it looked beautiful as heck.

There's other stuff that may or may not need it too.  Hacking in general on PS1 is more RPG focused though (and I can kind of see why; a lot of the more well known games that weren't localized and aren't adventures or RPGs on a PS1 really don't need the text all that much, and are playable without a translation).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:27:03 pm by Chronosplit »

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 04:07:37 pm »
I remember seeing screenshots of this one Japan-only RPG that looked like it took place in some sort of Victorian Era (at least I think I have the right one) England type of setting but I forgot the name.  It was sprites on a 2D plane.  Either way it looked beautiful as heck.
Sounds like London Seirei Tanteidan.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 04:55:55 pm »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:07:31 am by FCandChill »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 05:01:31 pm »
N64 hackers don't really come to these boards is all.
You pretty much ARE the N64 hacking scene. :)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 05:05:14 pm »
After watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSlGv9aFk4o
(which doesn't seem to properly take into account translation patches and remakers, but whatever)
I feel there are a lot of even PS1 games I just wouldn't care about, because they haven't aged all that well. I mean, playstation's iterations have often be renowned for action / sports / driving games, and those are surpassed almost every year. RPG's are the ones that would be on the "why not" list, but as has been said, they have been seen on other platforms / in remakes for the most part. A couple of really original ones would deserve being considered, I guess. But, for me, most of what's on the "yay!" list has already been done (except a couple of Super Robot Taisen games, of course ;) ).

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 06:11:15 pm »
After watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSlGv9aFk4o
(which doesn't seem to properly take into account translation patches and remakers, but whatever)
I feel there are a lot of even PS1 games I just wouldn't care about, because they haven't aged all that well.

I have the opposite reaction -- that video seems absolutely packed with potentially cool stuff that I'd love to see translated/localized. I spent some time playing PS1 imports on my debug unit recently and had a blast, so YMMV. I'd love to see a game like Aconcagua become fully playable for English speakers; it's already got the dialogue in place, after all.

The BIN/CUE vs. IMG/CCD/SUB vs. whatever issue is a nasty one, though.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 06:36:19 pm »
If there was a bit more documentation on PS1 hacking I'd DEFINITELY love to move onto that system!  I'm still not sure what the best debugger is (Probably No$PSX I think) and most of the techniques to figure things out.  There's a lot of games I adore to death on the PS1 and I'd love to look further in-depth on them.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 07:19:50 pm »
I have the opposite reaction -- that video seems absolutely packed with potentially cool stuff that I'd love to see translated/localized.
I had the same feeling.  Conceptually speaking the PS1 library in general is a goldmine, so there's a lot of potentially cool stuff on the list.  A few devs hit their experimental periods during this time, Squaresoft felt that they could do no wrong for example.  Not all of it worked out, but I'll be damned if the ideas aren't fun to experience.

Sounds like London Seirei Tanteidan.
Yep, that was it.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 07:46:29 pm »
To give my perspective, my laptop is about 7-8 years old and can barely emulate PS1 games. That's kept me away from hacking anything from that generation or beyond (it can handle handhelds up 'til the DS). If I had a better comp I would probably be hacking the Castlevania games for N64.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.