News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: My Strange Dilemma  (Read 2416 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
My Strange Dilemma
« on: August 02, 2016, 03:14:44 pm »
I am uncomfortable playing games I have never played before.

However, I am also growing tired of the games I have played before.

How does your mind resolve such a dichotomy, if you theoretically experienced such? Perhaps this thought has occurred to you too, but if not, then what do you think? What gives?

I wonder if it's just that I am bringing a lot more stress to the table when I sit down to play these days. I also have vision and hearing losses, however minor, that are setting in and they alter the experience of playing games quite a bit.

So, expound on your choice: stick with what's boring and beatable, or die at what's new? I believe I know the general consensus of a sensible person is that new experiences are not to be feared but sought out, but I guess there are times when I just feel pulled in two directions at once. I'd most times rather replay something than play something I've not beaten or never played before.

Games that have no ending are a sometimes thing for me, such as Donkey Kong, but I've never been quite what you'd call a master of "endless high score" games.
Yamero~~!

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: My Strange Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 04:32:55 pm »
For me, I tend to worry about playing a new RPG, mostly because it will pull me away from the other 40+ hour adventures I am currently playing. Eventually I give in and start it anyway, which is why I still have not finished dragon quest 8 after 5 years.  :P

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 04:44:22 pm »
If you think 8 is bad, think of 7. <.<

I tend to think the best remedy for this is to do something else, like read a book.  Sometimes one just gets burnt out on games, and that's quite alright.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:18:27 am »
Before I went off to grad school and packed up my consoles, I would rotate between older and newer games.  I play mostly RPG's, so that probably put the balance more in the old stuff's favor, but I it kept me interested in the newer stuff coming out while also allowing me to still appreciate the older stuff too.

Probably my only fear is playing too many newer games and not being able to go back to appreciating the older stuff.  Now I basically just play what my laptop can handle, which really isn't anything too newfangled, although some retro-themed newer games will run on it.  I am looking forward to getting a PS4 when I finish my program and get a real job, and binging on all the stuff I wish I could've played the last 2ish years.

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 12:35:51 pm »
If you think 8 is bad, think of 7. <.<

Yeah, it took me 104 hours to beat 7...and that was without bothering to look for either bonus dungeon.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 06:12:39 pm »
How much fuckin' grinding did you do, man? I could 100% that game in 60 easy and get everything short of 100% leveling up everybody to max and mastering all materia. Hell, I could probably pull off the first disc Omnislash.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 06:28:23 pm »
How much fuckin' grinding did you do, man? I could 100% that game in 60 easy and get everything short of 100% leveling up everybody to max and mastering all materia. Hell, I could probably pull off the first disc Omnislash.
I think they were talking about the dragon quest series. But yeah, holy shit 104 hours!?!?

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 06:38:12 pm »
THEN I CLEARLY AM AN IDIOT

Also I've heard that number for DQ7 more than once.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 06:38:21 pm »
I am not the only one who saw the number 7 and immediately thought FF7 as opposed to what was meant, DQ7, for the PS1.
Yamero~~!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 06:55:37 pm »
I am not the only one who saw the number 7 and immediately thought FF7 as opposed to what was meant, DQ7, for the PS1.

Yeah, me too. I assumed FF7 but since the number of hours was so high I figured it would be more likely that it was Dragon Quest since there is probably 75 hours of grinding involved in DQ games. :P
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 02:03:40 pm »
That, and there were a couple times I didn't talk to every last person on the face of the earth after completing a quest, and had to go back and figure out where I missed a shard.