News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Aria of Sorrow name change  (Read 2353 times)

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
Aria of Sorrow name change
« on: July 31, 2016, 09:13:32 pm »
Odd question, but is there a way to change the name when you play as Julius and still play asbhim? I'd like to change it to "Belmont" instead of Julius.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Aria of Sorrow name change
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 09:28:24 pm »

It appears that the text in this game is in fact stored in ASCII format so all you will have to do is open it up in a hex editor, do a search for the text-string that you are looking for and type in your changes.

EDIT: The only snag I can imagine is if the menu text is stored in a different format.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 05:55:04 am »
It has to be somewhere else. I've been in the hex editor changing the dialogue and nothing seems to happen. Oh well. Guess I'll keep looking.☺

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 01:08:18 pm »
It has to be somewhere else. I've been in the hex editor changing the dialogue and nothing seems to happen. Oh well. Guess I'll keep looking.☺
Try looking for the same string elsewhere using your editor's search function, most of the time something that important will be in more than one place.

If something happens just write down where you changed it and change it back.  This is small enough to not be unfixable.

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 01:39:24 pm »
Can do. I'll let yall know what I find. Appreciate it!

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 03:55:24 pm »

It appears that the text in this game is in fact stored in ASCII format so all you will have to do is open it up in a hex editor, do a search for the text-string that you are looking for and type in your changes.

EDIT: The only snag I can imagine is if the menu text is stored in a different format.

Awesome find! Sounds like I've got another game to play around with in my spare time.

@Camino - Good luck finding the string of text you're looking for! I'm thinking what you changed might be the name used during dialogue scenes or something.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 04:06:32 pm »
That's exactly what I did.😎 I've rewritten the story, but I have some more tweaking ti do before I post the update. Would like to put some SOTN references in too.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 05:06:09 pm »
Enable the Chaos entry and update the description to "This castle is a creature of Chaos. It may take many incarnations".

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 07:13:51 pm »
Good call! Too bad Maria isn't in this game... I never was able to get the Chaos entry. I did chamge "beam skeleton" to "Nova Skeleton" and "Biphron" to "Lossoth".

August 01, 2016, 08:48:23 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Awesome find! Sounds like I've got another game to play around with in my spare time.

@Camino - Good luck finding the string of text you're looking for! I'm thinking what you changed might be the name used during dialogue scenes or something.

This may take a while, but here is my Dracula sprite edit for Aria so far.

August 01, 2016, 08:49:33 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
https://www.mediafire.com/view/637g1kr8a96h6zh

August 03, 2016, 07:16:51 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Enable the Chaos entry and update the description to "This castle is a creature of Chaos. It may take many incarnations".

So, I wasn't able to decompress and add the portraits that I had hoped to, so I went ahead and submitted my updated IPS patches for my two hacks. Dialogue has been updated and a few glitches have been fixed. Hope y'all enjoy.

Castlevania: Call of Chaos

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2527/

Castlevania: Reaper's Reckoning

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2524/

They should be updated within 24 hours.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:16:55 pm by caminopreacher »