News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ogre Battle: MotBQ Alignment difficulties  (Read 1386 times)

CountBuggula

• View Profile
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ogre Battle: MotBQ Alignment difficulties
« on: August 01, 2016, 05:13:07 pm »
Ogre Battle on the SNES has been one of my favorite games but I'd always get stuck when I realized I'd managed to get all my powerful leader's alignments down to 0.  Any time your army fights an enemy weaker than themselves, its alignment goes down.  In order for alignment to go up you have to have them fight enemies stronger than they are.  And it's a complex enough game that I can't stand the idea of managing all of my tactics around managing alignment - it's a difficult enough game as is!  There's other things that affect alignment as well, but it usually just comes down to that one mechanic ruining everything for me.

I get the feeling it wouldn't be terribly difficult to disable that singular alignment changing function by someone familiar with the code, but while we've got a number of impressive hacks and utilities for the game, the wiki is completely devoid of information.  So any thoughts on where I could go to accomplish this?  Is there any other interest in this particular change to gameplay?  I feel like if I could do it, I might actually manage to finish the game for once instead of giving up out of frustration.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Ogre Battle: MotBQ Alignment difficulties
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 05:53:03 pm »
If someone else has a "oh have a look in bank?" type remark then go that but I will go how I would approach things should I want to do something like. I don't know this game but later ones I liked.

So it sounds like alignment is a variable you can control and will be stored in saves, memory..... Just like health, experience, gold...
Time to make a cheat then. Standard cheat making practice -- do a search, change the variable, do a search, change the variable until you find where it is.
Once you have the variable you can then simply make a cheat to hold the alignment value(s) at either max or some sane level. It could vary between leaders or it could be the same and the individual leader value is loaded in when you swap them out (if that is a thing). In either case they will tend not to be terribly far apart or if they are then chances are then it will be in the same relative space (you will have a memory section that holds stats for each leader and it will be ?? bytes into that). By similar token if there is a leader health, exp... stats field then it will be in that so if there is a cheat for infinite leader health then go have a look around that location as part of the cheat making exercise.

As you asked about disabling it entirely then we go further. You still want your cheat however you find the thing that reads this value for whatever needs doing (you do this with a debugging emulator by setting a breakpoint on read aka bpr in most things). Said read will lead to the parts of the game that care about the value. You then have to figure out how to negate this. It could be hard to do, the classic thought experiment we teach to new hackers is Mario losing lives -- you can make a lives cheat easily enough, however you might then have to find what does poison mushrooms, time, enemies, pits, hazards as they will likely all be things that subtract from the lives counter if you are going to approach it that way. I don't know what alignment does but it sounds like one of those luck type variables that subtly permeates everything in a game ( http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Luck_%28Morrowind%29 ), probably should have looked up a faq rather than looking up luck in a random game but hey cheesy films are calling.

Short version. Make a cheat as it will probably be easier in the long run.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 06:19:03 pm »
Using cheats would be the best way to go.  If you need a permanent affect of it never being there, it's basically the same thing.  Just have to use the value in RAM that the cheat would modify, trace it back to where it updates and all done.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

CountBuggula

• View Profile
    • Fate of the Galaxy
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 10:19:58 am »
You know, I actually thought of that right after I posted this.  I normally hate using cheats, but in this case, I think you guys are right.  Also, when I looked more deeply into it, I realize that modifying the rules for how CHA and ALI change would likely make it difficult or impossible to change classes from soldier or amazon to most other classes without also going in and editing those class requirements.  Would require a LOT of work and testing to make sure there aren't other unintended consequences and that the game is still playable.

I think cheats will get what I'm looking for, thanks for the input!