News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [PS1] Final Fantasy Tactics name fix patch  (Read 4358 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
[PS1] Final Fantasy Tactics name fix patch
« on: March 28, 2016, 07:30:49 pm »
After wrapping up most of my Pokemon-related business, I decided to dig into this as well as I could!

This little patch fixes and updates Ability, Equipment, and Job/Monster names in FFT.  The goal for this is that the original translation's vibe and original intents are preserved, while making something more recognizable with common FF naming conventions and fixing translation errors.  This means a lot of abilities aren't using the War of the Lions terminology, though some were updated as such.  Some terms have not been changed or have been lifted from other FF games where applicable, mostly the GBA and PS1 eras of FF (for a minor example of what I mean, instead of Hasteja it's Hastega), and I've even delved into literal translations of ability names.

As of now there are three patches, Altered exists mostly for the sake of Swordskill (Stasis Sword etc.) names.  There may be more differences to come as we move along.  No Suffixes uses spell names with the original 2/3/4 instead of -ra/-ga/-ja.  .ffttext files are also provided with all patches for those who might find them useful.

RHDN Link
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:02:19 pm by Chronosplit »

stuffgnome

• View Profile
Re: [PS1] Final Fantasy Tactics name fix patch
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 07:06:59 am »
I like the idea behind this patch, but I hate,HATE, the whole spell suffixes thing. I can't explain why in any rational terms it just bothers me, and if you want to preserve the vibe of the original I would leave the numbers in. Then again, this is just another faceless/voiceless post on the internet so feel free to ignore me :P

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 09:52:41 am »
I like the idea behind this patch, but I hate,HATE, the whole spell suffixes thing. I can't explain why in any rational terms it just bothers me, and if you want to preserve the vibe of the original I would leave the numbers in. Then again, this is just another faceless/voiceless post on the internet so feel free to ignore me :P
That's alright, I know considering FF fans that you're not the only one.  ;)

I can feasibly make a third patch that has the prefixes back to numbers when I get the next version made up, because realistically it is a smaller change than what Altered got.  More choices means all players win after all.  Ice will stay Blizzard, Bolt will stay Thunder, Demi will stay Gravity, and Deathspell 2/Despair 2 will be Dispel 2/3 though.  Also Arise is staying as it doesn't use a suffix.

March 29, 2016, 03:10:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
1.2 is in the queue.
-No Spell Suffixes is the same as TextFix but with altered spell names as described above.

Counter Flood>Nature's Wrath
Suffocate>Last Breath (Last Breath is the name of this ability for the same Job in Tactics Advance.  It not only makes sense with Shadowbind and Assassin in this context, it's actually more correct upon comparison.)
Regenerator>Regenerate
Secret Hunt>Poach
TextFix only: Blastar Strike>Comet Strike (This is the only one swordskill changed completely because it doesn't makes much sense.  "Starry Heaven Bombing Strike" makes me think that the translators were going in the star direction, and Comet doesn't exist in FFT. I believe this is a happy compromise.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:56:30 am by Chronosplit »

stuffgnome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:03:49 am »
Very cool, I thank you for granting my request, more options are always good.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 09:05:14 am »
Very cool, I thank you for granting my request, more options are always good.
You're quite welcome!

1.2a is in the queue, should be the last of the quick updates for a while provided no other bugs come up.  I'm functionally done considering this patch's purpose, the rest to come would be considered fluff.

-Fixed Hell Seer's description talking about Heaven Knights.
-Fixed the rest of Heaven/Hell Seer's names (there was more than one of both.)
-Fixed Barbut still being Barbuta.
Arc Duke>Archduke
Knight Blade>Nightblade

March 31, 2016, 01:04:52 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
New version 2.0a, took way shorter than I had expected:
-Skillset Descriptions updated for altered Job names, fixed Clerk too.
-Unexplored Lands updated with correct references.
-Treasures updated.  There's honestly some real surprises in here, especially for those who don't know about the sound novels.
Arc Knight>Archknight
Arc Witch>Archwitch
Archaic Demon>Archaedemon
Aspel>Osmose
Lancer>Dragoon
Elemental>Geomancy

March 31, 2016, 10:34:20 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Predictions for 2.1:
-Bugfix in Spell Quotes: Heaven Thunder had Heaven Heaven Thunder
Bolt Breath>Thunder Breath (both of them)
Alpha>Eschaton (This didn't really make sense)
Comet Strike>Stellar Strike (This looks... nothing like a comet!)
Dispelna>Panacea (Dispelna is a misnomer in ALL languages, funnily enough.  Dispelga is staying that way, but on No Suffixes it will be Dispel 2.  I was tempted to pull out Nostrum as a stealth Chrono Cross reference because it's kinda dark-ish, but it's directly the opposite of that.)
Double Sword>Dual Wield (More than swords are involved, including fists.)
Walk on Water>Swim (In the original, Swim and Walk on Water are accidentally switched)
Swim>Walk on Water
Frog>Toad (Toadga relation)
Nagrarock>Nagrarok (based on Ragnarok, rock is incorrect)
Ice Brand>Icebrand (Both are right really, but this kinda looks better to me.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:05:59 pm by Chronosplit »

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 10:02:11 am »
should be the last of the quick updates

Yeah right, and how about holding off on pushing miniscule updates like every day. Literally no one is going to re-download and patch because you misspelled some word, this goes for all your projects btw.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 10:39:12 pm »
Yeah right, and how about holding off on pushing miniscule updates like every day. Literally no one is going to re-download and patch because you misspelled some word, this goes for all your projects btw.
Now I'll be the first to admit my updates tend to be on the quick and small side when I get them done (especially when I start, I apologize for that because these are xdelta patches for PS1 ISOs), but in my defense my updates have been plenty substantial on this one.  None have been "one word" things, descriptions meaning that or not.  :P

This next one (in queue for hopefully tonight, it's bigger than the update description lets on) I've already slated to myself as the last one I'll have up for a good while, and I really do mean it; I plan to get another playthrough under my belt before putting out another update to this project on here, for ironing out anything that needs it.  Besides, the only one term change I'm admittedly meh about now is Stellar Strike.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:19:26 pm by Chronosplit »

Magma Dragoon

• Every day is night
    • View Profile
    • My Hideout
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 11:07:18 pm »
Dude you rock!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 05:32:11 pm »
Thank you!

Alright, a quick progress report.  I'm not done testing yet, but here's a list of stuff that's going to happen for the final patch.  It's probably going to be my smallest update in sheer name changes, but it's mostly stuff I've forgotten and needed to clean up:

Carbunkle>Carbuncle (Mistranslation that I had forgotten)
Elf Mantle>Elven Mantle (Name update more than anything, accessory in FFV.)
Shake Off>Swing Down (Literal but better fitting.  I don't want to use Pickaxe when both this and Wave Around use the same weapon.)
Behemoth King>King Behemoth (Changing it back to the more common name.)
Gobbledyguck>Gobbledygook (Actual word, oops.)
Night Killer>Knight Killer (I guess original intent's name was supposed to be a pun.  I don't blame the original translation for using Night in this one, but with Nightblade being restored and all...)

Stellar Strike>I'm leaning towards Polaris Strike (I'm using a woolseyism here, but all the swordskills are those by necessity.  Polaris is the North Star, and also part of the Ursa Minor constellation.  Since we're looking at Divine Knight abilities, constellations make a major amount of sense while alluding to the heavens part of the original text at the same time.  Also a good sight on the menu all around.)

-An FAQ will be added with notes about certain parts that need addressing (much of which is in the spoiler, like the Blade Grasp thing), with alternate Summon Spell name and Limit ability listings.  It doesn't sound like something I should be sticking in an update thing, but it's not a bad size either.

After this I'll probably only update when TacText gets a new version, for the sake of everything that isn't a patch.

EDIT: And we're in the queue.  Nothing else really to add, other than I settled on Polaris.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:02:56 pm by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 08:00:33 pm »
Quick fix added to the queue.  After looking up things for the FFVII Square-Enix patch, I found something I had overlooked about Midgardsormr.

Midgard Swarm>Midgardsormr
Chain Mail>Chainmail
Plate Mail>Platemail

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 03:50:57 pm »
Unexpected update: It seems I left the terrain descriptions in the cold. I'll be pushing a patch out sooner or later that'll update these along with fixing mentions of Lancers still in the equipment descriptions.

There's plenty of both, so this could take a bit.

July 28, 2016, 08:08:02 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And it's submitted!

Terrain Descriptions:
-All terrain names are now properly capitalized (this is not the same for ability descriptions).
-Updated with new Gemomancy names.
-Fixed erroneous spaces in the descriptions, and removed a bit of untranslated text above Road.
-The instance of two periods before a Geomancy is replace with a colon (on top of looking nicer, this and the spaces make up for the extended names).
-Lava Rocks>Lava Rock

Item Descriptions:
-Equip abbreviations updated to account for Dragoon: Ln>Dg
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:08:02 pm by Chronosplit »