News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania Aira of Sorrow Picture Swap  (Read 3090 times)

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
Castlevania Aira of Sorrow Picture Swap
« on: July 30, 2016, 06:32:14 pm »
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone could (if it is even doable) be able to replace the character portraits in AOS with another portrait? Like something from SOTN, maybe? I've looked in Tile Molester, Tile Layer Pro, and other graphics editors, and i can't find where they are stored. Any thoughts, insights? My spoof has me changing the character's names and editing their sprites a bit, but no matter what the sprites look like, when the portrait comes up looking nothing like the sprite when I'm done, it sort of defeats the purpose...

Thanks much!

Sephirous

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania Aira of Sorrow Picture Swap
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 11:29:01 pm »
Sounds like compression is involved here...  :banghead:

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 11:57:01 pm »
I looked through the ROM in YY-CHR and couldn't find the portraits either. It's strange that they would even bother to compress the portraits given the vast amounts of open space in the ROM (at least 25-30% empty) and the very wasteful fashion that many of the tiles are stored in. Compression seems totally unnecessary.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 08:34:24 am »
Right?! That sucks since I don't know the first thing about decomptrssion. The things they chose to compress did seem really random...

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 11:28:18 am »
I looked through the ROM in YY-CHR and couldn't find the portraits either. It's strange that they would even bother to compress the portraits given the vast amounts of open space in the ROM (at least 25-30% empty) and the very wasteful fashion that many of the tiles are stored in. Compression seems totally unnecessary.
A few GBA games are like this.  In some cases it's because upon localization they would upgrade the size solely to fit in all the languages, which meant a healthy amount of space just sitting there.  Cart size might've even been up in the air during development, meaning they could've strived to fit everything in close as possible.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 06:50:30 pm »
Right?! That sucks since I don't know the first thing about decomptrssion. The things they chose to compress did seem really random...
Well, since it's a GBA game, it's very likely that LZ77 was used, and there are abundant decompressors and re-compressors available for that.  Can't say I know how to use them, though.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 04:05:15 am »
Decompressors are available in the GBA BIOS, so compressing data on the GBA is basically free (except maybe on RAM). Also, what tells you the data wouldn't take bigger than those 25-30% empty space after being decompressed ?

You also have to take the localization/translation in mind.

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 07:16:17 pm »
So, I wasn't able to decompress and add the portraits that I had hoped to, so I went ahead and submitted my updated IPS patches for my two hacks. Dialogue has been updated and a few glitches have been fixed. Hope y'all enjoy.

Castlevania: Call of Chaos

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2527/

Castlevania: Reaper's Reckoning

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2524/

They should be updated within 24 hours.