News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Suggestions for fun, classic MS-DOS games  (Read 12266 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Suggestions for fun, classic MS-DOS games
« on: July 30, 2016, 03:13:39 pm »
Found DOSBox for PSP the other day, and have been looking for fun classic DOS to mess around with on it. Been a bit of a pain getting it set up, but I've got Super Munchers running perfectly on it!

So now that I've figured out how to get things to run, I've been searching for other fun things to play on the go. Thing is, outside of some games I used to play in elementary school during the mid-to-late 90's (Oregon Trail, Amazon Trail, and a number of games I can't remember the names of at all) I'm pretty new to the older DOS games.

Anyone got any suggestions for games I ought to try out?
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 03:19:51 pm »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:36:28 pm by FCandChill »

STARWIN

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions for fun, classic MS-DOS games
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 03:35:44 pm »
Colonization, Master of Magic, Master of Orion 2, Elite Plus and perhaps Star Control 2 (but ur-quan masters exists for more modern platforms).

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:42:24 pm »
-About anything by Bullfrog.
-Daggerfall.  Best done with DaggerfallSetup though, which has it's own DOSBox in the package but with most possible bugfixes.
-Blood
-Star Wars: Dark Forces
-Pinball Illusions, Fantasies, and World
-Settlers 2
-Descent 1, 2, and the Vertigo expansion for 2 (these have DXX-Rebirth though).
-Abuse, though it's not the easiest to setup.
-Master of Orion 2
-Master of Magic
-Might and Magic: World of Xeen (this is 4 and 5 put together, kinda like Sonic 3 and Knuckles but with even more added stuff.)
-Albion
-Aliens TC for Doom.  There's some crazy old WADs that don't work with modern sourceports (Batman Doom for example), but not too much else of note.  Chocolate Doom takes care of most of these problems however, and the preference between it and DOS is mostly personal.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 04:09:15 pm »
I will 3rd Master of Orion 2--honestly, I can still get lost in that game for hours.

I will 2nd Daggerfall with the special DOSBox setup and patches, but with some caveats.

It definitely feels a lot different than later ES games, and I always found the game wanting to do way too much with what the tech at the time would permit--for example, cities feel like cities (they are huge), but the people and buildings pretty much all look the same, and it's relatively easy to get lost. The dungeons also always felt really bland and generic to me, but I can definitely see that as a point of personal preference.  One massive problem IMO were the randomly generated guild quests that will sometimes require you to slay a monster that's immune to low-end equipment early on and basically cause you to auto fail the quest.  Plus you need to use the keyboard to play, and while I could do that as a kid in the 90s, I need controller support to play games these days.

All of that said, if you can deal with all that, Daggerfall probably has one of the more interesting ES plots (I put it behind Morrowind, but better than Oblivion or Skyrim), and there is A LOT of places to go, even if most of them look the same.

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 06:24:56 pm »
I think you all are spectacularly overestimating how fast a PSP can run DOSBox.

I wouldn't be surprised if EGA side scrollers like Commander Keen are about the upper limit of what's doable (And even then, by using frameskip).

Note that I'm speaking from my experiences using DOSBox Turbo on an Android device running a 1.6GHz Qualcomm Scorpion CPU. Even Wolfenstein 3D was unplayably slow on that thing, and it's a hell of a lot faster than the 333MHz CPU in a PSP, even accounting for the IPC differences between an ARM CPU and a MIPS one.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 07:07:52 pm »
Really, playing on a PSP is just, eh... But save yourself: Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, The Lion King (best version in my opinion), Princess Maker (any version is good), SimCity, most skating games are good, Indiana Jones (the platformer one) and that is all for the moment...

For Abuse, Blood and the likes, it is better to find a suitable port instead of running DOS power. Abuse got ports for many systems. ;)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 07:38:59 pm »
Well, I'm only using PSP Dosbox for the little games it can handle or I want to play on the go. I have the PC version of DOSBox to try out everything else.  ;)

Great suggestions guys! Went ahead and got ahold of ScummVM too so I can finally getting around to playing all those older lucasarts point n clicks. Didn't realize there were 3 older Monkey Islands and an older Sam and Max.  :D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 09:11:22 pm »
All of the old 3D Realms stuff is pretty great – Duke Nukem, Command Keen, Monster Bash, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, and so on.

Really, there's not much that GOG doesn't already have up for grabs, at least as far as the cream of the crop is concerned.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 10:22:55 am »
This is a pretty good list of essentials baked into a collage with screenshots:

You're better off playing other versions of some of them though, like System Shock, Lemmings, UFO/X-Com, Warcraft 2 and C&C.

Typing out some favs:
Albion
D/Generation
Beneath a Steel Sky
Strife
Loom
Blackthorne/Blackhawk
Scorched Earth
Day of the Tentacle
Ultima VII
Colonization
SimCity 2000
Theme Park, Theme Hospital
Full Throttle
The Incredible Machine
Settlers 2
Another World
Quest for Glory
Stunts
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:29:41 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 11:14:09 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if EGA side scrollers like Commander Keen are about the upper limit of what's doable (And even then, by using frameskip).
To be fair though, there may be a Commander Genius (the sourceport for Keen) port for PSP around.  There was one for even the old Dingoo.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 11:47:46 am »
H2O by Webfoot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJt6TlOuLCk
It's like lemmings, but with 2D water simulation.

By the way, this game's OST hasn't been ripped, like ever (and it is excellent). Can anyone do it?

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 09:53:41 pm »
some nice suggestions here, but not many RPGs, so here are a few:

the Ultima series was groundbreaking for its time, and while the early installments are grind-heavy and feel quite dated, Ultima VII is still considered one of the best games in the cRPG genre. while this is a DOS game, the preferred way to play it is by using Exult, so this particular suggestion might not be so great in this case.

so, for DOS-specific RPGs, Ultima 5 is really good, as is Ultima Underworld and its sequel, which is in fact even better. these games feel surprisingly fresh even now, especially for their suggestive environments, with levels of interactivity that are in some aspects completely unrivaled by today's graphics-heavy games.

The early Might & Magic games can still be very fun. can't recommend MM1, because they were just starting to learn how to make games, but MM2 still looks colourful and sweet, and there are many great adventures to be had. later installments are even better, until the series deteriorated around part 8 and was later cannibalised by Heroes of Might and Magic. Might and Magic X, which was released in 2014, feels like a cheap joke when compared to these older titles.

now, Dragon Wars is a mix between the early Bard's Tale games and Wasteland. it looks dated and requires an instruction manual to actually be able to progress, but the gameplay and the story are superb. I still play it sometimes, like once in a few years. an 'intelligent' approach of using a variety of assets that are available to the party (items, spells, character skills, lores and attributes) should be taken to get the best solution to a problem or to find hidden secrets, but an aggressive approach will often work as well, because the game is pretty open-ended. for example, while this will not be obvious from the start, there are many different ways to escape from the prison settlement that you're thrown into at the beginning. there's a huge, open world with a simple but suggestive story based on Sumerian mythology, the environments are surprisingly interactive at times, many fights are really epic, there are many hidden, optional challenges to tackle, there are pirates. great underdog.

Anvil of Dawn is a nice, action and puzzle-heavy, hard dungeon romp with a dark, brooding atmosphere, great visuals and sound. if using a non-GOG version, the game must be patched or it breaks at some point.

Betrayal at Krondor is a classic story-heavy RPG with a rich world and some great writing. it's really good, if you manage to overlook the awfully, terribly ugly 3d environments.

there are literally hundreds of other great DOS games, but I think that's enough for now. ;)

edit: and if you've taken ScummVM for a ride, be sure to take a look at Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. it's a bit less-known than other Lucas games from this period, but it's very very funny. and very strange.
oh, and the Gobliiins trilogy, and Full Throttle and The Dig are cool. and try Quest for Glory series for an epic adventure-RPG mix.

edit 2: aaand Discworld is funny like hell.
<must stop>
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:11:44 pm by thr »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 10:38:36 pm »
Oh man I almost forgot, Skyroads!  To get a good idea of this one, here's an HTML5 version.

This one might actually be even more fun with a D-Pad, I've never tried it.  It's simplistic enough in control to map everything pretty easily anyway.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 05:51:31 am »
A couple of cool japanese games:
Fox Ranger 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUt0gRNEGwU
Rusty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yBxsej8Lkc

There's another one where you're a red mech that I've forgotten the title of.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 06:57:01 am »
Here's a ton of classic MS-DOS games that you should check out:
Atomic Bomberman
Battle Chess
Blackthorne
Blood
Carmageddon 1 & 2
Crusader 1 & 2
Diablo 1 & 2
Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition
Earthworm Jim Special Edition
Flashback
Heretic
Hexen
King's Bounty
Little Big Adventure 1 & 2
Maelstrom
Out of This World
Powerslave
Quake
Quarantine 1 & 2
Redneck Rampage
Rise of the Triad
Robotron X
Shadow Warrior
Spear of Destiny
Spectre VR
Star Control 1 & 2
Star Wars Chess
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars the Arcade Game
Strife
Tempest 2000
The 3D Ultra Pinball Series
The Doom series
The Lemmings Series
The Lost Vikings 1 & 2
The Neverhood
The Prince of Persia 1 & 2
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Wolfenstein 3D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:42:38 am by SCD »

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 10:59:09 am »
But... Some of those are not DOS games and are Win9x. :huh:

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 11:04:19 am »
And still nobody has mentioned Darklands. I am disappointed in all of you.   :P

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 11:56:32 am »
How about way of the samurai. It is a fun little game whose minigames are a bit finicky, but the samurai career sim aspects are pretty fun.
_-|-_

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 12:49:20 pm »
But... Some of those are not DOS games and are Win9x. :huh:

I didn't know some of them were Windows 9x era games, I was naming a bunch of old PC games that I liked from the 90's that he should check out and most of them can work on DosBox.