News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Surprised at the lack of a certain Final Fantasy IV hack  (Read 1963 times)

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
Surprised at the lack of a certain Final Fantasy IV hack
« on: July 23, 2016, 02:40:31 pm »
Specifically a hack that lets you keep Dark Knight Cecil throughout the game. Obviously with rebalanced this and that, item changes, etc. But still, that kind of blew my mind. I came on here looking for that specifically because I figured SOME talented, awesome, attractive person would have done it by now. I mean I know I'm not the only one who's wanted to finish the game with DK Cecil instead of Paladin. I'm always really disappointed when the class change goes through. I just don't like Paladin Cecil. I know pound for pound he's more useful strictly by numbers, but it doesn't FEEL like it. I never use his cover ability, and his white magic I feel like is only good in the most dire of emergencies. He's just an attack button with some HP attached to it. Yeah DK Cecil was more or less the same thing but I really liked the whole 'dark wave' thing. It was cool as heck and fit my personally more offensive based playstyle.

I don't imagine this would be too terribly hard to do. Change the class change event, bump up DK Cecil's mid-late game numbers, redo all the Paladin items to be usable by DK Cecil, and redo bits and pieces of the script. Hmm. Maybe this wouldn't be a half bad first hack for myself.

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Surprised at the lack of a certain Final Fantasy IV hack
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 03:02:32 pm »
This is probably achievable through a cheat code.

Unless you expected the story to follow up with this, but then it becomes a huge hack.

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 03:23:17 pm »
It totally is but the main problem is he's neigh unusable. He can't equip any armor weapons past Mysidia so he drops off very, very quickly. By the end of the game he's essentially an empty character slot which is why I was thinking of changing either the items post class change or at the very least changing what the DK can equip. And I agree changing the story would make it a fair bit bigger, but I don't see it as insurmountable. You basically just have to find all the points in the game that reference the Paladin and reword it a bit. That doesn't sound TOO hard.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 03:47:31 pm »
I was thinking of changing either the items post class change or at the very least changing what the DK can equip. And I agree changing the story would make it a fair bit bigger, but I don't see it as insurmountable. You basically just have to find all the points in the game that reference the Paladin and reword it a bit. That doesn't sound TOO hard.
Sounds hard enough to me.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 08:55:58 am »
Unprecedented Crisis does this.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 03:10:07 pm »
Unprecedented Crisis does this.

This.

Alternatively you could grab FF4kster (created by the author of U.C) and play around with events and stats until you're satisfied with the results. You can even change who can equip what, edit and give characters different commands in battle, and even add spells with relative ease.

That suggestion is just in case you're looking for the vanilla experience, but with DK Cecil.  :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 02:52:28 am »
Well boy howdy! I'd never seen Unprecedented Crisis before. It's not what I meant, like Bahamut said I was thinking of just a re-tooled vanilla experience but with DK Cecil instead of Pally, but this has been a really fun ROM hack so far! I think once I get a working computer I'm going to pick up FF4kster and fool around with that myself. See if I can cobble something together that's satisfactory and maybe even submit it to the site. At the very least UC has been giving me a lot to thinking about and some food for thought! Thanks for bringing that to my attention Chronosplit. I knew it was a major hack, but I didn't expect to keep DK throughout. :D