News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: This new Sonic is something interesting.  (Read 11936 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
This new Sonic is something interesting.
« on: July 23, 2016, 11:39:43 am »
It appears to be using Taxman's engine for the whole thing.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxmtYdEWVzo

I remain cautiously optimistic, it's a pretty neat idea for an anniversary either way.  I admit that it's going to take a lot to pull me from Sonic 3 Complete though.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: This new Sonic is something interesting.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 12:18:46 pm »
When I saw the trailer last night during their stream, I got super excited because this is the Sonic 4 I've been waiting for 22 years to be made.

Sega finally got it right this time around and they also finally listened to us as well.

It's definitely in good hands because Taxman knows what he's doing and he also knows what the fans want as well.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 12:34:16 pm »
Hell yeah! I hope there's no goofy gimmicks like a few of the last decent Sonics I've played on GBA and DS.

In any case, it's about damn time a seemingly good Sonic game's in the works.  :D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 01:22:22 pm »
Isn't it great when someone releases a trailer that spends 50% of its time talking up older games?

Anyway, does this mean Sonic XG is dead?  Last time I checked (just about a year ago), its GoFundMe was at https://www.gofundme.com/oyprqo , but curiously it makes no mention of Sonic XG anymore.  That was the fangame that Taxman was kind-sorta-formerly involved in, you may recall.
http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_XG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkF2VDXC9Gs
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 01:36:51 pm »
I think he may have canceled Sonic XG and transferred some of his ideas that he made for that game to Sonic Mania.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 01:45:24 pm »
Isn't it great when someone releases a trailer that spends 50% of its time talking up older games?
That's part of why I'm cautious, Sega's been hitting the "nostalgia button" pretty hard for a while now.  Though I guess since this is an anniversary thing it makes sense this time around.  For example their other new project is mostly a retread of Generations' idea, though they claim it isn't revisiting history for the third or fourth time (I guess one could say with Sega's current financial situation they just decided to recycle as many resources as possible?)

Unsure about the fangame.  Maybe he'll mention it in an interview or something.

It's definitely in good hands because Taxman knows what he's doing and he also knows what the fans want as well.
I agree, Taxman's about the only person connected with such anymore that still knows what made Sonic tick.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 02:02:51 pm »
I saw SomecallmeJohnny talking about it first thing in the morning, I am actually HYPED for this, which is something I don't usually do.
I'm just glad they're stepping back to the last point where the series really worked, maybe if this is a success they can start taking it forward again from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Qd4hzt1sQ

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 02:56:12 pm »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:05:48 am by FCandChill »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 04:08:25 pm »
They kinda are stepping back. They also announced a 3d title by Sonic Team that has regular Sonic and classic Sonic in it. No gameplay shown of it but I am guessing it will play like Sonic Generations.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 05:33:05 pm »
Looks sweet. Lots of additional animations that I've never seen before, such as when Sonic goes through a loop, you see the sprite scale around, rather than cycling through a few sprites.

Semi-transparent shadow trails of Sonic running real fast and the mobius strip foot animation are also welcome. One is a new thing, the other is a thing I've always liked.

They're not cramming bajillions of characters in. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, done. Maybe there are secret characters if you collect 100 widgets or something. But keeping the character roster down to minimum and (presumably) keeping the story out of the way of going fast and smashing badniks are plusses in my book. I mean, they didn't say boo about any story this game may or may not have. To me, that's heartening, too. I didn't enjoy it when the story started to dominate Sonic games.

...Seems neat. I likey.
Yamero~~!

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 06:53:41 pm »
I never really cared for stories in Sonic games, I just want to kill robots, grab rings, and run like a cheetah on cocaine.  :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 08:31:42 pm »
I never really cared for stories in Sonic games, I just want to kill robots, grab rings, and run like a cheetah on cocaine.  :thumbsup:
The only thing plotwise that I got attached to about Sonic games was in 3&K when they did the cutscenes.  It was handled perfectly, and even a little scene showing how they got to the next zone was just enough to feel like it was one big journey instead of just going zone-to-zone.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 08:50:07 pm »
That title screen animation with Sonic legit made me almost tear up.  I was a huge Sonic fan way, way back in the day and the numerous games over the years have gone down sharply in quality.  Even if this one is just a possible nostalgia train, I'm hyped for it.  It looks pretty damn gorgeous thus far.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 03:42:33 am »
Remember that scene from Simpsons where Homer touches the hot stove repeatedly because he doesn't learn from getting burned? That's people still caring about Sonic.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 05:32:53 am »
I don't get all the nostalgia talk. To me it looks more like Sonic CD.
Guess I should be glad I don't hang around Sonic fans enough to get roped into the debate over that. :crazy:

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 06:40:43 am »
It's great that they're using widescreen, and the new tileset looks good. Music seems good, though I prefer 1-2 style over CD or Sonic 3. Hard to say anything more than that right now.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 09:12:46 am »
Remember that scene from Simpsons where Homer touches the hot stove repeatedly because he doesn't learn from getting burned? That's people still caring about Sonic.
This is true for the most part, but Mania actually has something going for it.

I haven't given a toss about anything Sonic for a good few years until this popped up.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 09:41:48 am »

Just because it's not brown and full of blood and mud doesn't mean it's not a good game Kaio. I respect that you are not a Sonic fan, but people other than you have opinions...man.
Yamero~~!

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 09:46:27 am »
Just because it's not brown and full of blood and mud doesn't mean it's not a good game Kaio.

Wow, and this has what to do with what I wrote?

That like 18 of the last 20 Sonic games were complete garbage has nothing to do with their genre or their color palette. This is desperation right there.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:01:41 am by KaioShin »
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 09:59:37 am »
I thought KaioShin was staff but I see he's a hero member. I was gonna say staff should allow people to have opinions like liking the Sonic series but nevermind.