News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The HD Mini-NES is a thing.  (Read 25888 times)

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
The HD Mini-NES is a thing.
« on: July 14, 2016, 10:24:40 am »
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-the-mini-nes-will-play-30-classic-g-1783660997

HD connection. Nintendo-licensed. 30 games, with some third-party titles included. A classic controller design.

I. Am. Floored.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Axiphel

• View Profile
Re: The HD Mini-NES is a thing.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 10:42:55 am »
Wow... So exciting... ::)

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 10:50:08 am »
Ah, cool, an emulator in a retro-looking box.
Will they sell them to the same people who bought that awful Neo Geo X Gold?

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:56:05 am »
Poo on you guys, I'm excited :D

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 11:13:45 am »
On one hand, I'm amazed Nintendo finally found a way to capitalize off of emulation with things like this and the virtual console.

On the other hand, I can't believe people are being duped into buying this stuff.

Honestly, how is this any different from playing NEStopia (with an extremely limited game selection and no hacks) on a big screen?  I guess you get to use the classic controller....

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 11:16:12 am »
I guess you get to use the classic controller....
I bought a pretty solid USB NES controller for about $15. It has four buttons, but other than that I cannot tell the difference.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 01:28:51 pm »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:23:08 pm by FCandChill »

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 01:35:27 pm »
Interesting ... it reminds me of those plug-n-play consoles ... which I think this is. Basically you are buying an NES with the ability to play only 30 games … which is lame. Notice how there is a seam for the side-loader cover … it's just for show.

You're really buying a emulator made to look like an NES.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 02:18:38 pm »
On one hand Im glad that they're pushing for quaility it seems, The fact that it doesn't actually play cartridges and is limited to the 30 preinstalled makes it a no sell for me, But at the very least it's not repeat of the Mk 4 Sega Genesis.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7W3JvZBJQ

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 02:23:19 pm »
All the complaints you guys are offering are things that cost a lot of money to mass manufacture even back in the 80's...

This is a modern, sleek, cheap console that has a lot of good games, and I'll just bet someone will come up with a way to mod it sooner or later to play games from a removable storage device.

Upon further reflection, however, if the emulation isn't at least on par with the VC's (which still isn't perfect), then perhaps this would be more of a curiosity than a must-buy. I dunno yet. Have to wait till November I guess :D

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 02:26:18 pm »
People might buy it and just put a Raspberry Pi in the case.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 02:41:35 pm »
This sounds pretty badass. Reminds me of last year how Sega did something similar with the Genesis but that console could still play carts if I remember right (tho I don't think the genesis one could go HD). Kind of wish I had bought one of those, if anything for the controllers (since both o' mine are busted from douchebag friends having Ms.Pac-Man marathons).

Can the controllers be removed from the console? My browser won't open the link due to caveman internets.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 03:05:43 pm »
This sounds pretty badass. Reminds me of last year how Sega did something similar with the Genesis but that console could still play carts if I remember right (tho I don't think the genesis one could go HD). Kind of wish I had bought one of those, if anything for the controllers (since both o' mine are busted from douchebag friends having Ms.Pac-Man marathons).

Can the controllers be removed from the console? My browser won't open the link due to caveman internets.

The controllers can be removed but they use the Wii's nunchuck plug instead of the original NES.

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 03:19:48 pm »
The controllers can be removed but they use the Wii's nunchuck plug instead of the original NES.
Because Nintendo has to sell their own legit NES controllers, obviously.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 03:21:30 pm »
All the complaints you guys are offering are things that cost a lot of money to mass manufacture even back in the 80's...

This is a modern, sleek, cheap console that has a lot of good games, and I'll just bet someone will come up with a way to mod it sooner or later to play games from a removable storage device.

Upon further reflection, however, if the emulation isn't at least on par with the VC's (which still isn't perfect), then perhaps this would be more of a curiosity than a must-buy. I dunno yet. Have to wait till November I guess :D

I don't know. Sounds like they dropped the ball. With all the money Nintendo has they could have made a modern version of the NES that works right (unlike the original) and had access to the entire library. This device is cool, but only as a novelty. It's of little use to someone who isn't a retro NES noob. If they had made it funciton like a real NES then there would be a reason for all NES fans to get one. It's like one of those cheap "Greatest Hits" compilations you see at a gas station or something.

Also, why the hell did they put Super C but no Contra?
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 04:00:49 pm »

That's the Genesis Mk 4, made by AT games, Do not recommend at all, at least half the built in games are bad homebrew and it only takes 2 AV cables, one for video and one for mono sound, and it will mangle any soundtrack put through it, otherwise the emulation is okay at best, included wireless controllers are garbage.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7W3JvZBJQ

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 04:15:14 pm »
People might buy it and just put a Raspberry Pi in the case.

And then play PSX games from it  :D
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 04:50:24 pm »
I don't know. Sounds like they dropped the ball. With all the money Nintendo has they could have made a modern version of the NES that works right (unlike the original) and had access to the entire library. This device is cool, but only as a novelty. It's of little use to someone who isn't a retro NES noob. If they had made it funciton like a real NES then there would be a reason for all NES fans to get one. It's like one of those cheap "Greatest Hits" compilations you see at a gas station or something.

Also, why the hell did they put Super C but no Contra?

Shit it's got Super C? I missed that! Neat!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 05:58:19 pm »
On one hand, I'm amazed Nintendo finally found a way to capitalize off of emulation with things like this and the virtual console.

On the other hand, I can't believe people are being duped into buying this stuff.

Honestly, how is this any different from playing NEStopia (with an extremely limited game selection and no hacks) on a big screen?  I guess you get to use the classic controller....

Lot of folks don't know emulation exists and how ye olde gaemes get ported to new consoles. It's basically for them, and also for people who want to do things legally.

If you're massively into NES, doing things legally as well... It's a very good price. 2 bucks per game. If you can afford a single lump payment of 60 plus any taxes or shipping/handling, it's an insane deal. FF1 alone is like 20 bucks bare minimum if you want to use a cart ,and 5 if you want to use the VC. Combine that with the other games and well shit gets pricey.

As for me, I own or have owned every single game on that list I give a shit about so I'm cool. I got emulation as my guide to fun times.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 06:02:48 pm »
Not to mention that it's factory new, not 30 years old.