News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: GBA Tile Editors  (Read 7149 times)

megablast

• View Profile
GBA Tile Editors
« on: July 12, 2016, 04:37:33 pm »
Hi, I've been looking at Tile Layer Pro, and what I really need is a way to export all the tiles at once so I can view them in other image programs. There doesn't seem to be any way to to export more than the current viewable area... exporting them a page at a time isn't feasible because the tiles aren't numbered, and I don't see a "page down" option which would keep me from scrolling too far. There's gotta be some way to do this. With the colors as screwed up as they are I can't judge by eye how far I'm scrolling.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: GBA Tile Editors
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 05:43:31 pm »
Did TLP gain the GBA 8bpp in the end? I know it was missing from some.

Anyway general purpose GBA tile editors I would suggest are

tiled2002
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/112/

tileggd is not an editor but a fantastic viewer.
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/646/

crystaltile2.
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/818/

There are a few others some use when compression comes around but those three are the main go to things for most people playing in the GBA. Equally I am not sure what goes with tinke right now (it is great for DS formats but standalone graphics like those of the GBA I am less sure about).

"Exporting more than the viewable area" is a thing not many do in ROM hacking (you tend to only want to edit a screen, a sprite or a collection of sprites which probably still fits on a screen or two if it is fancy) so I am not sure what goes with any of those. Anyway you should be able to export with those, crystaltile2 also has a nice import. I hope you know how to restrict your outside image editing programs or are willing to do it yourself -- it is a pain so many will just learn to deal with the tile editor's inbuilt functionality, and the non tileggd stuff is actually not that bad for basic editing.

Also "With the colors as screwed up as they are" is not good, you should be able to get a palette from VBA or a savestate or something and load it into at least one of those to help out a bit. I certainly don't do it all the time and you don't have to do it to edit it but if it is causing a problem then it is easy enough to get GBA palettes if you can find the thing in the game. I don't know if crystaltile2 has support for VBA savestates or anything but you should be able to load the save into the program and read the palette directly from the hex editor window (there is an option down the bottom on the left hand window of the hex editor for it) and it does support import and export of windows palettes if you have that from some other means.

fusaru

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 02:54:34 pm »
I agree, importing a palette or reconstructing one with a graphics debugger is mandatory as a first step

Version 1.1 of Tile Layer Pro can only do GBA 4BPP.

I don't know about other editors too much so I'll just describe what I do with tile layer:
It's probably not the optimum solution but you can zoom out to zoom factor 1x with the (-) magnifying glass icon, pull the window all the way to the maximum size (full screen mode, pull down-right all the way, this will always give you a square shaped window, maximum size is hard coded), then highlight everything with the right mouse button held down and export.
You can remember were these exported sprites and tiles belong to by looking at the offset value on the bottom bar of Tile Layer Pro.
So when I export a big chunk, I  look at the offset and write that value down. After editing the exported graphics with different software, I launch Tile Layer Pro, make that big square window again, scroll around until the offset is identical to the value I noted earlier, and import the graphics.
(MD hacks):
Complete --> see contributions page
Twin Hawk (arcade graphics), Toki

megablast

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 05:02:36 pm »
So, about exporting and loading palettes, what formats can I use? Tile Layer Pro seems to want a .tpl, but VBA doesn't export in that format

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 01:32:52 pm »
Does no one use Tile Molester anymore?  I thought it was supposed to do everything Tile Layer Pro did, and more.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

fusaru

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 03:22:08 am »
So, about exporting and loading palettes, what formats can I use? Tile Layer Pro seems to want a .tpl, but VBA doesn't export in that format
Tile Layer Pro uses it's own format, don't know about programs that export to it. The import feature is, after double checking, for NES and SNES only, and only  NESTICLES and ZSNES savestates work.

I'm mainly using Tile Layer Pro for Genesis editing, but this principle should work for every system. Here's how it should work for GBA.

Get a palette viewer or or an emulator with debugger that shows palettes
For GBA there's for example APE:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/541/
or Visual Boy Advance (this is a tutorial but nicely shows the palette window):
http://forums.therockmanexezone.com/topic/747876/1/

Open a palette viewer in that emulator (or another one, we just want RGB values, meaning Red Green and Blue channel values) then input the RGB data into Tile Layer Pro's small "Palette Editor" window, the one showing 16 colors. starting from the top left (1st color there is usually transparent ingame), filling the top row, then the bottom row. Save as .tlp palette when finished. I'm always doing this first with the main character palette, then for stage palettes. If the ROM has uncompressed graphics, you should be able to recognize characters and background tiles now.

Does no one use Tile Molester anymore?  I thought it was supposed to do everything Tile Layer Pro did, and more.
I'm only sticking with Tile Layer Pro because I'm used to it and because it has a tile arranger window, which is the fastest way I know to determine how bigger sprites and tiles are assembled from their 8x8 pieces. For the actual editing I've more or less switched to GIMP anyway.
(MD hacks):
Complete --> see contributions page
Twin Hawk (arcade graphics), Toki