News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hacks unsubmitted in this site  (Read 1941 times)

kikujade

• View Profile
Hacks unsubmitted in this site
« on: July 10, 2016, 02:19:20 pm »
The hacks to make Boktai games playable on emulators/everdrives:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/boktai-solar-sensor-patch-kit.245127/

John Enigma

• View Profile
Re: Hacks unsubmitted in this site
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 02:31:12 pm »
dACE's Metroid II: Suitless Samus Special hack hasn't being submitted here either.

And from the looks of it, it looks like a cool hack with a concept that nobody thought about.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 04:30:08 pm »
They don't allow hacks that make games compatible with emulators. It discourages emulator authors from fixing compatibility. It's a detriment to make emulators more compatible.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 05:14:23 pm »
What about dACE's hack that I mentioned above? That one is not about emulation compatibility. Is more of a cosmetic (graphical) hack.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 06:59:24 pm »
They don't allow hacks that make games compatible with emulators. It discourages emulator authors from fixing compatibility. It's a detriment to make emulators more compatible.

Given the fixes in question are for a solar sensor I doubt flash cart makers (curious as to why the OP mentioned everdrive when their GBA offering has been available for probably less than a week at this point, wonder if they have become short hand for flash cart like R4 did in DS flash carts) or emulator devs are going to do much there -- it is not a sort your timing issues or get better accuracy so you don't trip anti piract issue as much as things that are not there.  Had this been the pokemon real time clock fix (most emulators that matter will handle it, possibly even pull from system clock) then yeah I would question the merits but light sensors are generally absent on most things, unless you want to try to contrive something with a webcam. I don't know where I would find myself with the tilt sensor patches now many phones could conceivably emulate/replicate it.
The main problem for me is the rest of that thread has some really good stuff in (all the custom versions and refinements of the basic solar patch) so the thing some view as a cop out of making it a doc instead is probably the better route, especially as it makes a nice worked intro to some applied assembly.

In either case I am not going to lose any sleep over it, so to speak, but

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 09:16:59 am »
The hacks to make Boktai games playable on emulators/everdrives:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/boktai-solar-sensor-patch-kit.245127/
Better link: https://github.com/Prof9/Boktai-Solar-Sensor-Patches

Since it's on GitHub I don't really foresee a big rush to post them.  There's also one in the fan translation of 3.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:42:40 am by Chronosplit »