News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy III English Translation for NES (FFIII: Refurbished)  (Read 90816 times)

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy III English Translation for NES (FFIII: Refurbished)
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2016, 12:49:41 am »
v1.1 has been submitted to RHDN; will update this post once it has been approved. EDIT: It's up!
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2701/
The changelog is:
Spoiler:
v1.1
- B-Button dash has been added, and it is also disabled
 when a character is following you

- several typos fixed

- some text formatting inconsistencies have been fixed

- in-battle commands for "Advance" and "Retreat" have been altered
 to "Front" and "Back", respectively, because they previously broke
 the five-character command limit, so they've been fixed accordingly.

- when attempting to change jobs, the position of the message that
 pops up has moved up a couple tiles in order to fix a text-related
 glitch that only happens when you have the first six jobs available

Chaos Rush, i have a question for you:
Does the item upgrade trick is still here?, just wondering.
Never heard of it, so it's probably still in.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:19:27 am by Chaos Rush »
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

Kea

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2016, 02:59:40 am »
This page has an in-depth description of the Item Upgrade Glitch.

It's possible to trigger it accidentally, and it can do things like remove plot items from your inventory. If you want to fix the glitch, write  B00C at $6BFD7; that will fix the alignment when the game attempts go give you an item you already have 99 of.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2016, 06:08:32 am »
Bug report, though I was unable to get a screenshot quickly enough, it's easy to reproduce:

Curing blindness in battle via using an eye drop produces what appears to be an untranslated message (the message box just says "l").

EDIT: Further update - it appears the status curing messages are broken in general, curing poison produced a box reading "Behemoth" for no apparent reason.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 06:25:23 am by Reiska »

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2016, 08:37:37 am »
Bug report, though I was unable to get a screenshot quickly enough, it's easy to reproduce:

Curing blindness in battle via using an eye drop produces what appears to be an untranslated message (the message box just says "l").

EDIT: Further update - it appears the status curing messages are broken in general, curing poison produced a box reading "Behemoth" for no apparent reason.
Thanks for informing me of this; I have an idea of what the cause is and will get a fix out as soon as possible.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2016, 08:46:38 am »
Something I've noticed is the message when opening a chest. If the item is a Leather Sheild it just says Leather and not  (Sheild)Leather. Same thing for Potions. The icon is not there. Is this intentional?

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2016, 08:49:56 am »
Something I've noticed is the message when opening a chest. If the item is a Leather Sheild it just says Leather and not  (Sheild)Leather. Same thing for Potions. The icon is not there. Is this intentional?
It's like that in the original Japanese version also; the symbols just don't show up in the overworld message box.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2016, 07:40:06 pm »
It's like that in the original Japanese version also; the symbols just don't show up in the overworld message box.

Is it possible to tweak the name pointer in the message to use the icon?  Obviously Japanese didn't need it because the item name was sufficiently descriptive, but given our space limitations in English, might be a worthwhile change if it can be done.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2016, 10:53:39 pm »
Is it possible to tweak the name pointer in the message to use the icon?  Obviously Japanese didn't need it because the item name was sufficiently descriptive, but given our space limitations in English, might be a worthwhile change if it can be done.

That would be helpful if it could be done.

I found a typo as seen below. It's when you talk to the king in Castle Sasune.It should be skeleton key.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2016, 11:02:35 pm »
v1.2 has been submitted for approval to RHDN, but if you want it early, get it here: https://www.mediafire.com/?alu8bphus4641yp

Here's the changelog:
Spoiler:
v1.2 - August 25th, 2016

- glitch fixed that involves messages not displaying correctly when
 using a status-healing item in-battle

- healing items now have the bottle icon from FFII Prototype in order
 to maintain consistency with FFII:Refurbished.
 (In the original Japanese versions of both FFII and FFIII, these
 items had no icon)

Screenshot of aforementioned fix:

Unfortunately it's not that simple. The item icons aren't even loaded into the RAM when you're in the overworld (except the boomerang, shuriken, and magic icons):

On the left is what's loaded into the PPU when you're in the overworld, while on the right is what's loaded into the PPU when you're in-battle.

However, as of v1.2, a side-effect of me adding the new Potion icon (FF3 didn't have one originally) to match FFII:R, the Potion icon now shoes up in the overworld because the table ID I chose to represent that tile IS loaded into the RAM when you're in the overworld... but that game treats it as a normal letter because that icon wasn't in the Japanese version.

EDIT:
That would be helpful if it could be done.

I found a typo as seen below. It's when you talk to the king in Castle Sasune.It should be skeleton key.

Dammit of course another typo is found after I already submitted v1.2.... Looks like this typo fix will have to wait until v1.3, lol. But thanks for playing this!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2016, 11:37:21 pm »
Point of advice when you submit new files since it's what I do. I use my dropbox Public folder when I submit an update. Since it takes a bit for approval, it actually gave me time to fix a small error found before the update was approved since all I had to do was copy over the file in my dropbox. Once approved you can always delete it and upload the update to mediafire if that's where you want it hosted.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2016, 04:46:48 am »
I'm going to guess that it wouldn't be as simple as just moving the icons to some of those unused "box" tiles in the font because of the way the game's item sorting routine is coded.  That really only leaves more descriptive names, which will involve ugly abbreviations, or just dealing with having to check the item list to see which of three possible "Leather" you just found, I guess.

Ah well.  You've done well already. :)

darthvaderx

• View Profile
Re: (WIP) Final Fantasy III English Translation for NES (FFIII: Refurbished)
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2016, 08:46:41 am »

That being said, I hope that someday, someone does a a remake-port of Final Fantasy III to GBA using either the Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls game engine or the Final Fantasy IV Advance game engine (or by GBA homebrew, if possible), and uses this translation.

Like this:

(Sad, I would like more the 2D style...)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:46:57 am by darthvaderx »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2016, 10:39:05 am »
Will you include the fix to the item upgrade glitch for 1.3?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2016, 11:00:20 am »

If he does I'd hope it was an optional patch like the skinny font he has.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2016, 11:35:09 am »
Point of advice when you submit new files since it's what I do. I use my dropbox Public folder when I submit an update. Since it takes a bit for approval, it actually gave me time to fix a small error found before the update was approved since all I had to do was copy over the file in my dropbox. Once approved you can always delete it and upload the update to mediafire if that's where you want it hosted.
Thanks, I'll consider that for the future. Problem with Dropbox is that I had to remove it from my computer because it was causing some problems with the start menu on Windows 10, so hopefully they'll fix that eventually.

I'm going to guess that it wouldn't be as simple as just moving the icons to some of those unused "box" tiles in the font because of the way the game's item sorting routine is coded.  That really only leaves more descriptive names, which will involve ugly abbreviations, or just dealing with having to check the item list to see which of three possible "Leather" you just found, I guess.

Ah well.  You've done well already. :)
I think it would actually work if I did that, since those particular 'box' tiles are just blank unused tiles that happen to be loaded into the RAM while you're in-battle and in the overworld. But I left some blank tiles so that if anyone wants to translate my patch into their language, then they have some extra tiles to work with in case they want more character sets or squish tiles. But we'll see, this is something I'll think about for v1.3.

Ah, I forgot about that, sorry. It will be in v1.3 but as a separate patch.

I think I'll wait a couple weeks for v1.3, hopefully more typo's are reported by then (although I'd be equally glad if there aren't any more, lol).

This screenshot is actually an early version of FFII on the Wonderswan, that's Altair with beta tiles.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:40:48 am by Chaos Rush »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2016, 03:17:46 pm »
So now that this is finished, have you considered compressing the script and see if it'd fit a geniune MMC3 ?

I looked into compressing the graphics, too. With FF1 that'd be easy but the problem is that with FF3 uses a very advanced system for its graphics, every metatile is loaded separatedly and every character is loaded separatedly for sprites. In battle, each monster is loaded individually, and the party's sprites are loaded dynamically as action goes on. This makes graphic compression very difficult for the most part. The ultra-crowded fixed PRG bank doesn't help either.

I'd still be curious to see what is possible to do with text compression.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2016, 07:58:54 pm »
So now that this is finished, have you considered compressing the script and see if it'd fit a geniune MMC3 ?

I looked into compressing the graphics, too. With FF1 that'd be easy but the problem is that with FF3 uses a very advanced system for its graphics, every metatile is loaded separatedly and every character is loaded separatedly for sprites. In battle, each monster is loaded individually, and the party's sprites are loaded dynamically as action goes on. This makes graphic compression very difficult for the most part. The ultra-crowded fixed PRG bank doesn't help either.

I'd still be curious to see what is possible to do with text compression.
I just don't have the time; I go back to school in a couple weeks. I'm still working on fine-tuning my text editor for user-friendliness (and I barely have the time for that since my work schedule suddenly got really crazy these past couple weeks), and as I said on the previous page, I'll provide the English and Japanese scripts with the editor, you guys do whatever you want with it.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2016, 03:13:06 pm »
Oh sorry, I tought you were done already. Just please don't forget to give me the script once it's finish :) Compressing it is extremely simple but hacking the game to handle a compressed script can effectively be though I guess - especially with a packed fixed PRG-ROM bank.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2016, 12:47:27 am »
Something I've noticed and I don't remember if it was in previous translations or the original Japanese ROM is that items do not stay sorted. I moved a Potion to the first slot on the item list, exited the item menu, returned only to have my item list exactly the way it was before! I'm not sure if its a glitch or not.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2016, 02:49:32 am »
Finally got around to polishing up my text editing tool to a somewhat presentable state. My FFIII text editor, OnionText, has been submitted to the RHDN Utilities database, but in case it doesn't get approved for whatever reason, you can download it here: https://www.mediafire.com/?qtbk4p9co4c6940

The translated English script and the original Japanese script of Final Fantasy III is provided with the tool.

Oh sorry, I tought you were done already. Just please don't forget to give me the script once it's finish :) Compressing it is extremely simple but hacking the game to handle a compressed script can effectively be though I guess - especially with a packed fixed PRG-ROM bank.
The script has been done for a while (as well as the patch), I just haven't gotten around to polishing up my tool to a state where other people besides me can make sense of it. I've released the tool now though (link above), and I've also provided both the translated English script and the original Japanese script with it.

Something I've noticed and I don't remember if it was in previous translations or the original Japanese ROM is that items do not stay sorted. I moved a Potion to the first slot on the item list, exited the item menu, returned only to have my item list exactly the way it was before! I'm not sure if its a glitch or not.
May I ask what emulator you are using? I am not encountering that issue on FCEUX 2.2.2. Can you also verify whether that happens for you just by using Kea's MMC5 patch alone?