News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Looking for a copy of Shantae GBC.  (Read 4567 times)

LoganN64

• View Profile
Looking for a copy of Shantae GBC.
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:27:17 am »
Hi all, im not sure if its allowed here, but i guess ill try anyway.

As the title says, im looking for a copy of the original Shantae for Gameboy Color, complete in box, or ; Game, Box, and Instruction manual. I would check Ebay, but by golly im not shelling out $700+ for an old game. If anyone is willing to take pity on a poor soul like me, feel free to contact me via private message.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 02:05:34 pm »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:03:24 pm by FCandChill »

LoganN64

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a copy of Shantae GBC.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 02:20:50 am »
Thanks, and yea, i already determined that EVERYONE that has even a used cart only copy is going to rip me off like no tomorrow. i saw an Australian guy selling a sealed copy for $2000 or $3000 USD... the lowest price i saw was about $750 for a CIB copy that had minor damage on the box, which i must say is very impressive since the game is fairly old. i try to keep my Gameboy games in as good condition as possible, sadly some of the used games i bought are missing the inserts that keep the box in shape, and one or two of them are a little crushed. but i do my best none the less.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 02:34:31 am »
I don't know who would pay $2000-3000 for a copy of some old game when there is emulation. I only know that I hate that sort of person for making it impossible for anyone other than rich assholes to have a good VG collection. I bet whoever buys it just let's it collect dust on a shelf like a poser. "Hey. Look at me. I own every game that was ever released for the GBC". Pff...
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 02:47:02 am »
Though I do find the silly money game collectors to be very strange creatures I do have to fall back to "something is worth what someone else is willing to pay". To that end if the sellers deliver upon what is advertised then you are not being ripped off. It is a silly investment but being ripped off is not what is happening.

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 12:25:51 pm »
I don't know who would pay $2000-3000 for a copy of some old game when there is emulation. I only know that I hate that sort of person for making it impossible for anyone other than rich assholes to have a good VG collection. I bet whoever buys it just let's it collect dust on a shelf like a poser. "Hey. Look at me. I own every game that was ever released for the GBC". Pff...
Or Flash Carts that will provide the whole library, in the case of Gameboys the whole GB and GBC library, to be played on original hardware for less than half the cost of a single cartridge.
Plus with Shantae the original game is available on multiple paid platforms through official emultion if you want to go that route. Personally I'd go flash cartridge on the GB Boy Color/Gameboy Player, or if I had to emulation. Fuck paying a dirtbag some retarded price for a PCB board encased in plastic with a sticker on the front.
But hey, I'm a video game player, not a collector.

LoganN64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 11:01:04 pm »
Thing is emulation only goes so far, i want to get the bonus GBA content as well, which is why im thinking of getting the Reproduction cart from Retro game labs. itll come to about $75 for me... which is a really good price compared to the ultra low $300 for a beat up cart only.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 11:51:58 pm »
talking about repros is a no-no here

LoganN64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 12:12:35 am »
Why is that?

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 12:43:27 am »
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:53:38 pm by FCandChill »

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 02:15:28 am »
Why is that?

- Legal grey area of hacking a rom for free suddenly goes for profit
- Hacker usually didn't give consent (and they could be sued as well)
- Hacker usually doesn't get a cut
- Rom for the cartridge is usually gained illegally
- Prices are usually through the roof, I mean $60-$90 for a game, really?

LoganN64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 08:20:27 pm »
Hmm, i see, the thing is the one im looking at actually looks quite good, comes with a box, manual and the cartridge, and yes, it is about $70CDN if i did my math right. but thats the thing it beats the Scalper price of $300 or so...

If anyone is to blame its Nintendo, Wayforward OR Capcom for not doing a reboot or port or ANYTHING with the game except release a basically incomplete version in the N-Shop.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 12:07:36 am »
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:06:10 pm by FCandChill »

jobless_floppy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 01:19:36 am »
In the end it's your money, spend it how you will :P I would suggest going the flash cart route, while expensive, basically makes it so you don't have to spend a lot of money for those games people charge astronomical prices or spend years hunting it down. I can see why you would want to go the cheapest route though.

LoganN64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 10:25:43 pm »
The term “reproduction” is a nicer way of saying “bootleg”, “counterfeit”, and “fake”... What's the point of buying a reproduction when flash carts exist...?

Yes i know, im willing to admit that it is a bit 'dirty' or 'cheap'(as in that cheap feeling), but the seller is at least honest in saying that it is NOT a real copy, and went through the effort of making a half decent box and manual for it. PLUS i want to get to because he says it actually gets the bonus features if played on a GBA! i tried to play the Digital copy i have on my 3DS but the Debug mode messes up too much AND it unlocks EVERYTHING right off the bat... which is nice, but this game is not that hard to justify out-right cheating.

In the end it's your money, spend it how you will :P I would suggest going the flash cart route, while expensive, basically makes it so you don't have to spend a lot of money for those games people charge astronomical prices or spend years hunting it down. I can see why you would want to go the cheapest route though.

The problem im facing when i try to emulate it is that there are no GBA emulators that also emulate the GBC, at least not the ones suggested to me by other websites. my ultimate goal is to play the game on my GBA to access all the special features like the Tinker Bat transformation, and upgraded color pallet.

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 11:40:09 pm »
The problem im facing when i try to emulate it is that there are no GBA emulators that also emulate the GBC, at least not the ones suggested to me by other websites. my ultimate goal is to play the game on my GBA to access all the special features like the Tinker Bat transformation, and upgraded color pallet.
I remember that shantae on VBA gave me the extras. Might have been an earlier version though.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 01:12:51 am »
bgb and VBA should have options in the GB/GBC system type select menu to enable the "playing on GBA" bit.

(because technically playing on GBA is otherwise the same effect as GBC. GBC mode and GBA mode on an actual GBA are separate and cannot be changed during play)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 07:51:40 am »
- Legal grey area of hacking a rom for free suddenly goes for profit
- Hacker usually didn't give consent (and they could be sued as well)
- Hacker usually doesn't get a cut
- Rom for the cartridge is usually gained illegally
- Prices are usually through the roof, I mean $60-$90 for a game, really?

I usually agree with the sentiment that repro producers that take romhacks and sell them are the scum of the earth.
I'd add mutilating a host cartridge of another equally rare game to write the ROM on, usually an outdated hack too, and then deceptively market it as some unreleased localization -this is making it impossible to distinguish Terranigma PAL copies with 60Hz patch and the legit NTSC protos confirmed to exist... oh and there's also some coming here on this forum demanding tutorials on how to remove "If you bought this you have been scammed" screens AND how the romhacker is incompetent and criminal for expanding SNES roms to ExHiRom to fit in the extra text rather than fitting everything somehow and all the compromises that this entails, just so that it fits on some cart size preferred by the repro makers.

But for this game in particular there's no third-party hacking work involved. Moreover, buying the 3DS eShop version of Shantae GBC (to support the devs directly, more than buying second-hand GBC cartridges will ever be) extracting its GBC ROM, then taking the effort to learn how to make a repro for private use, might not be so bad and bypasses supporting ill-reputed collector/repro maker crowds in for the money rather than the hobby.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:58:39 am by GHANMI »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 10:59:52 am »
So, checking the sold items on Ebay, it seems Shantae does sell for $250+, even cart only.

So, is the point of this thread, "I want this remarkably expensive item, but don't want to pay market value for it. Would someone please sell it to me drastically under market value?"

LoganN64

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 08:44:25 pm »
So, checking the sold items on Ebay, it seems Shantae does sell for $250+, even cart only.

So, is the point of this thread, "I want this remarkably expensive item, but don't want to pay market value for it. Would someone please sell it to me drastically under market value?"

Yes, that is ludicrous for a GBC cart.

And i suppose if you break it down to the lowest common denominator this can be seen this way, but the thing is i have seen/heard of people finding or buying a complete game for under $200 and that was a few months ago.

July 13, 2016, 08:11:53 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Do try to understand: I do my best to have legit physical copies of games but who here can say they have EVERY game that they have a ROM of? or every movie they ever wanted to see legally? probably not a lot. sometimes the option is to get a bootleg/pirate copy which is technically free (the technically being you still had to pay for internet and electricity to download it from wherever). but sometimes that is the only option due to certain limitations.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:11:53 pm by LoganN64 »