FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« on: August 25, 2016, 06:42:19 pm »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:20:35 pm by FCandChill »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: CRT Going to Bite the Dust Sooner or Later...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:01:01 pm »
That gets complex.
It is not always a matter of inputs, sometimes resolution matters as is often the case with the NES.
And you can also do things like mod consoles output RGB.

A choice video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc
and a choice link
http://bogost.com/games/a_television_simulator/
and while I am on a roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip6WuOvK8EU

5 years ago I was getting wonderful CRTs in second hand shops, provided you had the space and the van to go grab it. Today it is harder both due to the time and due to people like me, albeit with the space, buying them up as this retro lark is back in again and not just the domain of cheap bastards like myself. You might get lucky and find that 40 inch widescreen with component inputs though (I certainly passed up a few back when) as it might be different around you.

I assume you tried to degauss your TV as well, might take some fiddling (hopefully it is just a menu option) but should be possible. Localised discolouration is usually, well when I have it then it is because I have put a magnet next to it but the classic one that most people get is the screen is in need of degaussing or it has suffered some kind of screen burn.

To answer your specific questions
The NES thing is most commonly resolution, oh and light gun does not work (when does it ever?) on LCD, that and scaling and latency but you can hopefully work around that by a choice model of screen and making sure you are in game mode (though that might in turn make for some odder upscaling).
Yes other systems will have issues, see the things I linked before for more technical discussion and yes the artists of the day knew the limitations and played to them.
The Atari line has some of the clearest examples of these techniques, see the middle link for some great examples, but whether you would quite go to unplayable in all cases I do not know.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 10:06:54 pm »
Have to be more specific with the "issues" of the NES.

What I know is that NES games could often depend on overscan being present (both NTSC and PAL had 240 lines, however when developing NTSC games it was often assumed the outer 16 lines would always be hidden by overscan on CRT TVs. Also games might have expected overscan to cover the side edges of the screen to hide palette glitches in scrolling (especially games that can scroll in any direction).

The other thing is that, at least I know with NTSC, colors can vary significantly between TVs (like the day sky backgrounds in the Mario games can vary between blue and lavender).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:44:50 pm »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:20:57 pm by FCandChill »

Psychlonic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 05:52:55 am »
Ah yes, CRTs. Eventually they're all going to bite the dust, we can only hope that before then fast response OLEDs are available and lower cost. Coupled with the correct output mods/devices, that should replicate the CRT experience quite nicely.

In the meantime, it might be worth your time to research your model and learn of possible fixes you can do yourself. I have a 36" Sony Trinitron that stopped turning on and I learned a lot about it during that time, then fixed it by soldering in new diodes in one of the boards - just some diodes I pulled off an old junked monitor. When you get a CRT you're happy with, it can be VERY difficult to find a suitable replacement. Sure, you can find CRTs out there but if you're like me and like a good picture quality, heaps of inputs, and a massive screen then you're going to have more problems.
Just another old and grumpy gamer. Don't mind me.