News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: One-Hit Wonders Games  (Read 2219 times)

dejan07

• View Profile
One-Hit Wonders Games
« on: June 28, 2016, 03:43:30 pm »
Like in the music industry One-Hit Wonders exist also in Video game World.
One of my favourite One-Hit Wonder games is The Firestriker on SNES.

resq

• View Profile
Re: One-Hit Wonders Games
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:54:05 pm »
uhhh . . Flashback for SNES?
Come with me if you want to live.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 04:02:48 pm »
Vagrant Story was pretty cool. Never got too far into it, but I liked what I saw.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 04:15:55 pm »
uhhh . . Flashback for SNES?

Good example since, like many one-hit wonder bands, they tried to follow it up with a sequel in updated style (Fade to Black) and things didn't go well.

Tetris might be the quintessential example. Multiple attempts at a follow-up, both with and without major changes to the formula, but none approached the success of the original. (Or if you prefer, think of Alexey Pajitnov as the "band" in question.)

Double Dragon kinda followed this trajectory too.

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 04:18:41 pm »
How about Chrono Trigger? Chrono Cross is not a sequel!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 05:43:22 pm »
I am not sure what rates as a one hit wonder in games, and indeed as long as games don't seem to have a director that is considered in the same line of thought/importance (an auteur game director is something of the exception rather than the rule). And with the exception of a few Square Enix and similar game companies in Japan I am as likely to know the names of programmers as I am of game creators and directors/producers.

Others have gone with game that did not get any sequels. Vagrant story was mentioned but the director/producer/writer also did Final Fantasy Tactics, various Tactics Ogre, a bunch of FF12, Madworld and a few other things of some note. Similar story for the programmer. Depending upon the person you are speaking to the Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy 12 also take place in the same universe. That might be tenuous and somewhat different play styles but ignoring Shining the Holy Ark did Shining in the Darkness ever get a sequel if we go like that? There are direct story/plot sequels there though. Move into something like heroes of might and magic and the RPG might and magic...
I am not especially bothered and certainly don't need hard lines in the sand but I find it harder to define a one hit wonder for games.

On Tetris I really like Tetris 2, also Tetris DS and Tetris TGM.

Anyway I am going to have a little a little think about this and come back with something.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 12:49:46 pm »
Let's see...

There wasn't ever any kind of sequel to the story in a lot of SE games. They seem to be somewhat loathe to leave sequel hooks, FFIV: The After Years and FFX-2 notwithstanding.

I've never played the XIII trilogy or nothing so I can't comment on that. But we've never heard what happened to the Light Warriors after they beat Chaos, really. We've never followed Frioniel and co.'s exploits after the fall of Pandemonium. We've never found out what the orphans from Ur did after they beat the Cloud of Darkness.

Ditto FFV, VI, VIII, and I believe XII but I could be wrong.

I still wonder to this day how these stories could be enriched and continued. Secret of Mana counts too. I'm not saying I want a batcrap crazy Zelda timeline-esque accounting of events but I just wonder what happens to the characters. Perhaps I'm bringing more to the subject matter than it warrants.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 09:55:56 pm »
There are so many, my immediate request is also Vagrant Story but I would like to point mostly unknown RPGs for SNES like Last Battle, all sort of fighting games and such for Game Boy Advance like Flame of Recca, and platformers like Decap Attack (Magical Hat, Mega Drive/Genesis) and Sleepwalker (PC).

We could also consider Azure Dreams, as Tao had zero connection with its elements.

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 10:27:58 am »
Head Over Heels for all you, retro computer fans out there, an isometric puzzler that never had a sequel, though I'm guessing Monster Max on Gameboy is kind of a spiritual sequel. 

Ice Climbers.  I loved Ice Climbers as a kid and despite them being brought back in Smash Brothers they never really had a sequel or even modern day remake.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 12:18:56 pm »
Most evident case I remember: Alundra >>>>>> Alundra 2

But I don't know if it actually sold well (for its time), so who knows.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 12:42:46 pm »
I guess one could call Illusion of Gaia a one-hit wonder when you talk about sales; SoulBlazer wasn't hugely recognized until the whole "Heaven and Earth" thing and Terranigma wasn't released everywhere.

One could call the original Final Fantasy Tactics this as well; in spite of Square-Enix's localization efforts to shoehorn in refs none of the other games have much at all to do with it, and it's probably their biggest hit of the series.

How about Chrono Trigger? Chrono Cross is not a sequel!
I argue that Chrono Cross and Trigger both one-hit wonders.  The fan argument is mostly moot to this topic (and I wonder why you even brought that vitriol up), the thing though is that they're two very different efforts and excel in different ways.  Also, they are both from different dev teams that we'll never see together again with only a couple members being the same.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:06:08 pm by Chronosplit »