News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Some romhacking questions...  (Read 3559 times)

John Enigma

• View Profile
Some romhacking questions...
« on: June 26, 2016, 10:21:19 pm »
1. How do you change Samus sprite colors in Metroid II - The Return Of Samus? For the record, I have BGB, in which IIRC, it is also used as a debugger. Here's the quote from my Hack Ideas post:

I know nobody will pay attention to this, but I'm just gonna say it.

The Metroid II DX hack is awesome, but I wish that someone would change Samus' sprite colors to this one: which is from this Metroid II Colorization hack.

I know nobody will try, and I'm pretty sure nobody will tell me how to do it, but I'm just gonna come out and say this, before I could forget.

2. How do you create .ips patches? I have Lunar IPS.

USC

• Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Re: Some romhacking questions...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 10:29:27 pm »
Regarding Lunar Patch, you choose the "Create Patch" option, then pick the source ROM (the untouched, original version you got). Next, choose the edited ROM (whatever you built your hack into), and finally, give it a name. That's all it is.

As for the color change, I imagine it'd work like anything else. Use your emulator to figure out the palette for Samus, then find that sequence in the GB Rom and make the appropriate edits. Keep in mind, other objects may use that particular palette too, so you'll either have to switch them to a different one or live with the changes. :)
This might be a helpful guide - it's for the NES, but it helped me when I did a GBC hack a few years back:
http://www.romhacking.net/documents/41/

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 10:30:26 pm »
For 1: I think that deals with palettes, which is WAY beyond my level of expertise (My first and only hack was changing the name of Goblin in FF1 to Asshat :P)

2: On Lips, there should be an option that says "create IPS patch" the first file you select will be the unmodified rom, the next will be the hacked rom. After that it will give you an IPS patch  :thumbsup:

EDIT: USC beat me to it. :P

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 11:11:02 pm »
Thanks for the Lunar IPS creation tip, guys.

As for the Metroid II Samus sprite palette change, one of the things that I wanna know is if the BGB emulator would be of use to me.* I'm using the latest version of BGB which is 1.5.2.

*If not, then tell me what would be a good tool to change the colors of the sprite. (Specially from a Game Boy game that doesn't have any color at all.)

USC

• Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 03:19:49 pm »
I don't really use BGB, but as long as it shows you the in-game palettes and what hex value is associated with them, you can't ask for more.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 03:57:13 pm »
Okay. I installed the patch now:

and then, I went to go to the debugger of BGB, but after that, I didn't know where else to go.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:45:13 pm by John Enigma »

USC

• Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 09:37:01 pm »
Hey John, I think that's overkill. :)

I opened up VBA and looked at the GB Palette View option under tools. It gave me a printout of all the colors used onscreen and their hex value. Samus's palette is 7EF7 02F7 0017 080B.

The palette is stored using four bytes each, so if you reverse the hex pairs and search for the sequence (E.g.: F7 7E ** ** F7 02 ** **), you should find it at 0x40002 in the ROM. Change it as you see fit.

Hope that helps!

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 11:11:00 pm »
^Thanks.

I tried hacking it using BGB. Didn't work. I also tried hacking it using the GB Colorizer. That didn't work either.

I guess I have to hex hack the sprites to give it a different color like you say.

Also, which version of VBA are you using? Because there are so many versions. There's VisualBoy Advance v1.8.0 b3, and there's also VBA-M v2.0.0 b2 (plus its SVN Repo snapshots from Source Forge).

USC

• Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 09:18:17 am »
I just used the regular VBA (1.8.3), so I'm sure the tool menu is available on all of them.
And yes, I changed the palette in hex. I figured you'd want the change to be permanent.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 10:37:31 pm »
^Okay. I got VBA-M 2.0.0 (SVNGit:) (Sep. 28, 2015), and now I have two problems:

1. The emulator is going CRAZY FAST. And I haven't even typed, clicked, or input anything.

2. Whenever I select the hacked Metroid II game, all the colors look out of place. Is like somebody barfed out the colors.

USC

• Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 12:59:56 am »
I'm... honestly curious what you're doing. :)

All you have to do is open the patched ROM with a hex editor, navigate to 40002 (hex) in the ROM, and then change the values of "F7 02" to whatever color value you need it to be.

After that, you can run it in BGB, VBA, or any other emulator - and see the new colors. Also, I've never run it on VBA-M, but the regular VBA runs the game just fine.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 09:55:46 am »
For some reason - I prefer this colorization hack ::):
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20063.0.html

/dACE

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 12:56:44 pm »
I'm... honestly curious what you're doing. :)

All you have to do is open the patched ROM with a hex editor, navigate to 40002 (hex) in the ROM, and then change the values of "F7 02" to whatever color value you need it to be.

After that, you can run it in BGB, VBA, or any other emulator - and see the new colors. Also, I've never run it on VBA-M, but the regular VBA runs the game just fine.
When I have the time, I'll show you what I mean. Right now, I'm taking some time off away from the laptop pc.

For some reason - I prefer this colorization hack ::):
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20063.0.html

/dACE
Cool hack. But I want to (at least try) to do, is changing Samus's sprite to match the sprite from this hack. I feel like this might be the most accurate Metroid II colored sprite. It even has the green helmet, and gun.

Also, is weird that this hack is not on the Romhacking.net ROM Hacks database.

USC

• Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 01:12:36 pm »
Alright, having downloaded VBA-M and tried to run the game, it definitely glitches the graphics up a bit. The regular version runs just fine. That said, the emulator is only needed to get the palette hex values, which I've already provided.

Make the changes using a hex editor, then go back to playing it on BGB. :)

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 02:39:23 pm »
^I'll try to download VBA 1.8.0 b3 next time, and do what you're telling me, when I use the laptop again.

And yes. VBA-M apparently doesn't play colorized GB hacks, I think. Or is not compatible. Or something.

Also, did you experienced the ROM running really fast?

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 07:21:03 pm »
Of course you should try to achieve your own vision.

Keep in mind though, palettes tend to be shared between objects - you will probably need to reassign other palettes to those objects. Unless you are really lucky and the green looks good on the other objects as well.

Also - I think it is a big sacrifice to make on a 8-bit sprite, limiting the use of 1 out of 3 colors on so small portion as the visor and missile hatch - but that's me.

Good Luck.

/dACE

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 07:03:04 pm »

Try these, I had the same problem awhile ago, I think I fixed it by messing with the throttling option.
http://ngemu.com/threads/running-too-fast.131167/
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Dire Straits - Money for Nothing (Vynyl) || https://youtu.be/RzZyyEZ011I

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 01:59:00 am »
^I'll try to download VBA 1.8.0 b3 next time, and do what you're telling me, when I use the laptop again.

And yes. VBA-M apparently doesn't play colorized GB hacks, I think. Or is not compatible. Or something.

How accurate is VBA-M compared to VBA?
One thing I'm pretty sure is bgb has a lot of accuracy options that are turned off by default (so that old, broken homebrew, possibly based on inaccurate/incomplete documentation, can work). I think VBA (original) also favors compatibility over accuracy.
If bgb "works", does the hack still work if you go into the Options, and then the Excaptions tab, and click the "Emulate as in reality".

Just want to check if we're looking at possibly hardware-accuracy issues with "colorization" hacks? (I recall one of them, Super Mario Land, maybe, did have someone go through and check it for compliance.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 07:52:15 pm »
Okay.

I have VBA 1.8.0 (b3). I have HxD. I even have the game. I have download two Metroid II colorization patches: the DX one[/url, and the [url=http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/204/]Colorized one.

I opened HxD, and I selected the DX one:

@USC told me to go 0x40002 in the ROM. But I couldn't find the offset.

Any help on how to find it? Or am I out of luck?

EDIT: I'M NOT GIVING UP!

USC

• Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 01:01:48 am »
The "0x" is used to show that the number is hexadecimal, not base 10. For instance, 10 in hexadecimal is actually 16 in base 10 - so 40002 in hex would be a lot different from 40002 in decimal.

From your screenshot, you're at the start of the ROM. Either use the Search menu to jump to 40002 - or just scroll down until the numbers on the left most column are around 40002, then use the pattern I mentioned above to find the palette.