News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help Me: Shadowrun (GEN) mod with possible compression  (Read 1007 times)

vonMuir

• View Profile
Help Me: Shadowrun (GEN) mod with possible compression
« on: June 26, 2016, 02:44:53 pm »
I'm working on a new project. I'm posting this here first (instead of the Personal Projects forum), because I still have a lot of newbie questions and figured there'd be more help for me here. Sorry for the long read...

I want to mod the 1994 Shadowrun for Genesis. This is my first hack, although I have some programming experience. I've already used a hex editor to change some values (like starting equipment and stats, etc.). However, there are some more in depth elements I want to mod that I believe will go beyond simple hex editing. Plus, I believe the file is compressed. I say believe because this is my first hack, and I don't want to presume that I know what I'm talking about. More on the compression below...

I want to do things in this mod that will involve if/then triggers. For instance, I want the dialogue to change in game based on certain actions that the player takes. I also want to create a post game and a new game plus. I think that this will require learning assembly and maybe creating a level editor. I understand that this may be extremely time consuming and require a lot of study. I want to carry on despite this, however I have no idea where to begin (resources, programs, etc.).

Although the ROM I am using has already been translated to English (viewable in ASCII format), I believe significant data to be compressed. There may be two fonts: one for the in-game dialogue and another for various in-game data. Save state hacking is straightforward enough, but there are still elements I'm trying to find that elude me (like maximum values for character stats and other game data). I looked for a font using a tile editor, but I only had luck when viewing in 1BBP mode.

I don't think this is really a font, but just jumbled graphics. That being said, I don't recognize the above text font of the numbers/letters as being present anywhere in-game. Maybe they are unused graphics? I'm just not sure.

Most of the tiles look best when viewed with a Genesis preset, but even then it looks jumbled. Honestly though, the graphics in-game are a little rough around the edges, so I can't easily tell what everything is by just viewing it in the tile editor.

I also wonder if I should try finding different versions of the ROM file. If I find compression on one version, should I expect to find compression in all the existing Shadowrun ROMs?

I know that there's been a graphic hack of this game (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2595/), so I wonder if there's just something that I'm missing...

From what I've been reading, I may have to build a level editor to accomplish what I really want. Again, I'm OK with learning something new and doing some hard work. I just want to use my time well and get some direction from the forums on how to progress.

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS!

June 26, 2016, 05:20:57 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, I found a nice introductory tutorial on 68000 assembly language that I'm reading right now:
http://www.mrjester.hapisan.com/04_MC68/

I downloaded myself a couple of Genesis debuggers as well, so I'll be prepared if that's the route I need to go.

June 28, 2016, 05:31:11 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Just an update: I've been doing a lot of study over the past few days and have been fooling around with disassembly. I think I have a much better grasp on what I need to do.

I'm going to work this week and try to get the beginnings of path uploaded to the Personal Projects forum.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:31:11 pm by vonMuir »