News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Nick + Andy Love Story (Binary Land hack)  (Read 5360 times)

njosro

• View Profile
Nick + Andy Love Story (Binary Land hack)
« on: June 25, 2016, 10:24:39 am »
The LGBT thread started by 6paklover (which has now gone off the wall) gave me the motivation to make a hack poking fun at me and Andrew's fear of spiders.

What's New
-Graphics represent Andrew and I
-New Music!
-Always in "Love Story" mode

Me and Andrew are wimpy little sh*ts when it comes to insects... He'll jump on a chair and I'll kill the thing but be all panicky while doing it. This game is for us to poke fun at ourselves, and for you all to enjoy some new music in the game! (and graphics too)

We navigate through the mazes bravely killing spiders wherever necessary

Depends how you interpret "brave"...

We help each other in need

And we find each other in the end, which gives us the strength to keep going!

The new music is written by me. It sounds like you're on a fantasy ride at the carnival or something but I still like it :P

patch to Binary Land (J) [!]
Download Link!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:01:36 am by njosro »

releasethedogs

• View Profile
Re: Nick + Andy Love Story (Binary Land hack)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 12:06:51 pm »
Totally cute.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
It makes me happy you feel secure enough to post this.
Needs a cute title screen though. Also, how did you make the new music? Post on the page for the super pitfall hack he needs music help.

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 02:22:40 pm »
I'm glad you like it  ;D

Honestly I don't like modifying graphics that much. Dealing with shared palettes and stuff is the type of annoyance I can't deal with. But for something small like this I figured why not.

The new music comes from a long discovery process that I already did a few years ago. I found the music data and decoded the format, then edited the notes. Thankfully Binary Land uses a pretty simple format: 1 byte per note, in groups of three. It goes in the order: square 1, square 2, triangle. I made a small program which only I know how to use because of how glitchy and user unfriendly it is :P and just changed the music.

Since I only used the existing sound engine I don't know that I'd be much help creating a new one for super pitfall.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:41:17 pm by njosro »

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 03:22:06 pm »
^You can always try PM'ing Nesrocks.

Nice hack, btw. Although, I don't what Binary Land is. I only know the Pac-Man series.

marioxb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 06:58:42 pm »
It's a game that only came out in Japan on the Famicom.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 07:23:11 pm »
Nice little forgotten game. You control two penguins : one normally while the other is mirrored. The goal is to reach the top of the screen while avoiding / killing all ennemies, and enter the exit at the same time.

The thing is there was a love story between 2 members of the staff, and they were personified in the pinguins (crying each other's names in Love Story mode).

The level music was Erik Satie's "Je te veux", ("I want you" in French), which was likely on purpose :)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 08:00:18 pm »
Missed an opportunity to make one (or both) of the penguins agender, so you could call it "Non-Binary Land".

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 08:36:31 pm »
Thanks John :)

Lol midna that's clever :laugh:

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 12:39:49 am »
Holy crud, this is so cute! I remember playing this as a kid when I first got into emulation. It was a fun way to pass a half an hour or so before it got too frustrating to keep playing. Perfect game for what you were going for. <3

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 08:57:57 am »
Thanks! It's what I was going for  :) since the original was already pretty cute to begin with.

If anyone is interested in editing this game's music too just PM me. Anything to give Binary Land more attention  ;)

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 09:43:49 am »
I have started a port of this game on Megadrive. It's quite advanced. Music is among the things that still need to be implemented. If you can convert them to some format MD can handle, like Deflemask in MD mode, I'm definitely interested. If you have ideas for improvement, that could make the game interesting for a longer period, I'm interested too.

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 12:21:44 pm »
That sounds really cool. I just looked up Deflemask and it looks easy enough to use. Actually it looks awesome. I'm used to famitracker so it's cool to see a multi-platform tracker so to speak. So if I converted Je Te Veux in Deflemask you'd be able to use it?

As for things to make the game more interesting, I actually did a little remake in game maker and implemented a few things:
-powerups that appear can give you more than just points. For example:
  -the "power beam" that lets your bug spray (which I changed into a sci-fi beam) get thrown forward like in zelda when you have full hearts
  -the hourglass can freeze the timer and the enemies for a little while
  -the raindrop can make a few rain drops come down from the top of the screen and destroy enemies

-Later bonus rounds with heart boxes that move around so they're harder to catch (and the timer doesn't run out ridiculously fast)

-new jumping spider enemy that acts similar to Pols Voice (can jump over walls)

-ice that makes it impossible to stop moving until you hit a wall

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 03:44:14 am »
I don't know much about video game music, but I've been told that many music makers for MD games use Deflemask. There are several modes in it, the default is, I think, MD.

Concerning BL, those are good ideas. When i'll stick back to this project, I'll certainly implement them.

I was also thinking about a malus item that would reverse controls for only one penguin (the one who picked it), that'd make the game quite hard to play because most levels aren't designed for it. Same thing for vertical moves.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 07:44:32 pm »
Nope what?

"Nope I can't stand the existence of gay people", apparently.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 07:53:10 pm »
"Nope I can't stand the existence of gay people", apparently.

He's probably just shocked that someone finally made a hack just for him. Nope as in: OMG I can't believe that someone has finally made my dreams come true! :)
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 11:19:32 am »
^ Did I miss something?

I converted the original Je Te Veux music into a .gen file for tryphon, but for anyone curious, here's how it sounds using the sega genesis sound engine.

I modified the beginning slightly so you can actually hear the melody.
Sega Binary Land
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 11:24:52 am by njosro »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 04:12:39 pm »
^ Did I miss something?

Yeah. Someone showed up and was trying to be an asshole. I responded to him and then the first few related posts were deleted. Seems like the threads I'm in are always being censored or locked. Does that make me a bad user? :P
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...