News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid (PSX) Bug  (Read 3351 times)

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Metal Gear Solid (PSX) Bug
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:39:25 am »
This is my first time playing the original MGS even though I've finished 2&3,

Does anybody know if disc damage can prevent Meryl from opening DARPA Chief's cell to let me continue the game?
the game starts locking up in the codec conversation just before and then dumps me in the cell with no way out and certain buttons like Invetory buttons, codec, and pause, disabled, also tried hiding under the bed to trigger her to move, but no dice.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to find somebody to take me back into town to exchange it for a working copy.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Metal Gear Solid (PSX) Bug
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 12:39:06 pm »
Are you sure you waited long enough? It's supposed to take a while to be more realistic and make you feel nervous. Though locking up during conversations doesn't sound too encouraging, it seems far fetched that random read errors would cause glitches in this way.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 01:52:35 pm »
I waited a bit but maybe not long enough, it also keeps locking up and displaying the disc icon while I'm wandering around the cell too, I'll try again and give it a bit longer when the tv is available.

The walkthroughs I looked at implied that it happened relatively quickly, you hear fighting coming from nearby and then she comes to unlock the cell, I can hear an indistinct noise come from her cell but then nothing, and her and the guard just stand in one place on the radar.

Been waiting now for awhile, On the radar it looks like Meryl and the guard just walked right past each other and then froze, I'll keep at it and see if they move.

Still nothing, I might have to get an iso or an action replay.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:47:40 am by SleepyFist »

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 05:41:14 am »
I guess the game is really well programmed in that it doesn't downright freeze if it can't read the event data but keeps running, probably retrying in the background all the while.  :-\
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:25:12 am »
I guess the game is really well programmed in that it doesn't downright freeze if it can't read the event data but keeps running, probably retrying in the background all the while.  :-\
Yeah, under normal circumstances I'd expect a PSX game (or any game really) to just stop at that point.
I decided that once I get some blank discs in I'm going to use the swap trick to run a burned copy of disc 1 since I lost the receipt and can't take it back anyway.

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 06:12:14 am »
I waited a bit but maybe not long enough, it also keeps locking up and displaying the disc icon while I'm wandering around the cell too, I'll try again and give it a bit longer when the tv is available.

Are you playing this on real PSX/PS1 hardware? Because back in the day when I played this on my PSX, I had similar problems with that disc icon popping up.

It turns out that my PSX console was actually heating up the disc, and couldn't read it.

So I stuck my disc in the fucking refrigerator to make it cool down, and that worked.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 09:19:54 am »
I'll try that, although It really didn't have time to heat up when I played it, and it happens on PS3 and PSX.

Didn't work, by clipping the camera through the wall I can catch brief flashes of the guard who has become very interested in wall textures.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:47:04 am by SleepyFist »

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 09:59:38 pm »
I recall being stuck at the same place in one of my new game+ runs.
Did you try making noises to draw the guards in? Remember that you don't need to wait for somebody to save you if you use the right items! ;)

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 11:17:49 pm »
Well, I can knock on the wall/door and use chaff grenades if I was holding them prior to getting into the cell, but that's it, whatever is going on disables access to menus and inventory.