News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Super Castlevania 4 Uncensored / Akumajou Dracula Translation  (Read 40966 times)

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
Re: Super Castlevania 4 Uncensored / Akumajou Dracula Translation
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2016, 11:18:50 pm »
Yay, I've finally located the sprite assembly data for the map screen logo! I'll work on copying over the US tile map tomorrow since it's late now and I need to get some sleep.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2016, 12:55:33 am »
Would you guys mind if I continued modding that Castlevania III Patch? Adding some ideas to it?

I don't know where the limits are when it comes to editing patches already existing.
I don't have a problem with it.
From what I've experienced, the rules to fork an already existing hack are:
  • Get the approval of the author(s) to fork the hack
  • Credit the original hackers in the Credits section of the forked hack
The first part is the most troublesome.
Anyway, you have the greenlight from me, you might want to contact Vanya too for that.

Yay, I've finally located the sprite assembly data for the map screen logo! I'll work on copying over the US tile map tomorrow since it's late now and I need to get some sleep.
Awesome!
So basically now the US version has everything the Japanese version had?
Good luck with the rest! :)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2016, 01:18:43 am »

There's got to be a way to edit the animated blood sprite to make it longer so it'll be possible to attach it to the new title logo.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2016, 03:59:59 am »
I don't have a problem with it.
From what I've experienced, the rules to fork an already existing hack are:
  • Get the approval of the author(s) to fork the hack
  • Credit the original hackers in the Credits section of the forked hack
The first part is the most troublesome.
Anyway, you have the greenlight from me, you might want to contact Vanya too for that.
Awesome!
So basically now the US version has everything the Japanese version had?
Good luck with the rest! :)

I have been reading up on the patch and it looks like Vanya has lots of ideas and planning going on with it that he's currently working on.
Things that are far beyond my skills.

I'm going to leave it to the professionals.  :thumbsup:

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2016, 08:02:05 am »
I have no problem with my work being the foundation of something new.
I'm sure there are specific rules somewhere around here for addendum patches, etc.
Hell, I still have an alternative version of the CV3 patch that I want to do.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2016, 11:47:46 am »
There's got to be a way to edit the animated blood sprite to make it longer so it'll be possible to attach it to the new title logo.

I've just located the sprite tile map data for the blood drip, so that can be moved to wherever on screen now.  :)

Once we settle on a new logo, I'll take the time to move the blood drip and adjust the graphics & palette to match everything. Unfortunately, SC4ED does not currently decompress the blood drip (Japan ROM, the USA one does however). I'll have to message RedGuy about that (I might be able to slip it in, but it'd be quicker for him to do it since he knows what he's doing).

Also, I've got the US map logo almost ported over. The Japan logo uses one less tile than the US one, so I'll have to figure out how to add it in without screwing everything up. (The tile missing is the top of the C.)

--EDIT--
Something I've neglegted to mention is that the logo on both the title & map screens have 4 palettes available to them (the US logo is only using one of those slots currently). The logo on the title screen is a background made up of 8x8 tiles, while the logo on the map screen is a sprite made up of 16x16 tiles. So keep that in mind if you need more colors, those of you who are doing logo revamps.

--EDIT 2--
RedGuy updated SC4ED, so the Japan title screen sprites get decompressed now. The blood drip can be graphically altered now!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:56:02 pm by DarkSamus993 »

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2016, 10:14:38 pm »
I've just located the sprite tile map data for the blood drip, so that can be moved to wherever on screen now.  :)

Once we settle on a new logo, I'll take the time to move the blood drip and adjust the graphics & palette to match everything. Unfortunately, SC4ED does not currently decompress the blood drip (Japan ROM, the USA one does however). I'll have to message RedGuy about that (I might be able to slip it in, but it'd be quicker for him to do it since he knows what he's doing).

Also, I've got the US map logo almost ported over. The Japan logo uses one less tile than the US one, so I'll have to figure out how to add it in without screwing everything up. (The tile missing is the top of the C.)

--EDIT--
Something I've neglegted to mention is that the logo on both the title & map screens have 4 palettes available to them (the US logo is only using one of those slots currently). The logo on the title screen is a background made up of 8x8 tiles, while the logo on the map screen is a sprite made up of 16x16 tiles. So keep that in mind if you need more colors, those of you who are doing logo revamps.

--EDIT 2--
RedGuy updated SC4ED, so the Japan title screen sprites get decompressed now. The blood drip can be graphically altered now!

Seems like Red Guy keeps returning. Maybe if we get lucky he may just finish the editor.  ::) ;D

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2016, 08:48:56 am »
Oh yes please!
Re-edit the palette for the blood at the bottom, I simply made it quickly enough to not bother putting in a good colour palette to make it appealing. xD

------------------------------------

On a side note, I tried opening up SC4ED but I didn't find a way to change what level to edit.
Anyone here knows?

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2016, 09:25:19 am »
On a side note, I tried opening up SC4ED but I didn't find a way to change what level to edit.
Anyone here knows?

Controls:
Page Up/Down = switch between levels
P/O = increase/decrease the point (idk what this affects)
T = toggles showing event blocks
D = toggles showing the HUD
B = switch between the foreground & background

RedGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2016, 11:16:02 am »
That's all of the useful keybindings. P /O for checkpoints does nothing.  The game has some form of checkpointing in levels but I didn't have time to reverse engineer it.

DarkSamus993, Good luck with your mod.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2016, 02:10:22 pm »
Hey,

To anyone that had the problem I did.
Probably a goof move on my part but in case anyone is knew to Snes Hacking like myself, don't forget to click File and Select Decompress Rom.

Otherwise the Scene Editor won't work among other stuff.
 :thumbsup:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2016, 12:15:28 am »
Okay so I got a whole day of spare time and I decided to give the Uncensored hack a try.
I took this page as the base:
https://tcrf.net/Super_Castlevania_IV

It seems like I got everything working so far.
I managed to get the animated palette to work quite nicely and everything else went quite... okay.

I stumbled upon two issues:
  • SC4ED seems to have an issue with the Tile Editor.
    I edited quite a few with the built-in tile editor but after a while, whenever I tried to edit one tile, the current tile I was editing and the next one were COPIED two tiles back (overwritting the previous two tiles), which ended up with screwed up backgrounds. I think this issue only happened with BG tiles, but I'm not sure if it happens for other things too.

Maybe RedGuy could take a look at this.

This pretty much made me migrate from SC4ED and track down the background tiles with Tile Molester and edit them there due to the copy issue with SC4ED.

It is worth noting that the issue persisted even if I closed down and opened up SC4ED again.
    And things got even worse if I tried to edit the copied tiles manually within SC4ED... I ended up with a whole row of copied tiles. :/
  • The GraveStone introduction scene has the top cross screwed up (only the right side of it).
    Apparently, that same tile is used TWICE in a vertical arrangement. If someone can find a way to flip the lower portion in a vertical way, I think that should be it for the uncensored patch I worked on.
Here's an image of the issue with the cross for better reference:

It might be a matter of just finding either the attribute table or the tile arrangement for that part to fix it.
Although I'm not really good at that.

---------------------------------------

One other thing (before things go apeshit).
I am in no way pretending to win a race agains DarkSamus993 nor do I claim to have finished before he did.
He is making a much more in-depth hack than what I did here, and I know his finished work will be a superb work of art.

Also, he is doing the whole translation of Akumajou Dracula, which is an incredible feat by itself.
So just take this patch as some sort of entry dish for when he releases his masterpieces. :P

Well, enough talk...
HAVE AT YOU!

http://www.megafileupload.com/bghN/SC4_Uncensored_v10.ips

Apply that patch to an expanded Super Castlevania IV (U) ROM with SC4ED and you should be good. :)

PS: I forgot to mention, I wanted to change the letters and palette of the letters to match that of the Japanese release, but that would be for another time.
I also wanted to translate the Stage Selection screen, but this patch took me the whole day and I just finished at like 11 pm, so yeah. xD
All of that will be done for another time. :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 12:21:46 am by ShadowOne333 »

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2016, 01:20:21 am »
I totally just got confused.  :crazy:

I lost track of the projects, Ok, so Dark Samus is the one doing the Japanese Version into English.
And, Shadow One just finished an attempt to Uncensore the English Version.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2016, 01:26:58 am »
I totally just got confused.  :crazy:

I lost track of the projects, Ok, so Dark Samus is the one doing the Japanese Version into English.
And, Shadow One just finished an attempt to Uncensore the English Version.
DarkSamus993 is still doing both (afaik).
I just released this because I was bored and had a free day xD.

Take my patch as a grain of salt, DarkSamus' one will be the definitive one ;)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2016, 03:35:57 am »
That uncensoring hack is kinda taking a long time. I guess it's cause he's waiting for someone to translate the intro for him. Would it be so bad if you took the translated instruction manual story? It looks pretty close to what is in the US version so it don't seem much is changed anyway.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2016, 08:52:16 am »
That uncensoring hack is kinda taking a long time. I guess it's cause he's waiting for someone to translate the intro for him. Would it be so bad if you took the translated instruction manual story? It looks pretty close to what is in the US version so it don't seem much is changed anyway.

It's more I just got busy with life/needed a mental break (I am at a point now that requires tracing to figure out how I can add/move content without the game breaking, so nothing exciting is happening right now anyway). I should be able to get back to work on this project in a week or two.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2016, 09:25:54 am »
That issue with the cross on the grave just sounds like a simple tilemap issue.  Though it could be more complicated with how the game does it.  Best way to figure out the problem is check VRAM for the tilemap (VSNES is amazing for this by the way with a save state) and go from there.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

RedGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2016, 11:24:19 am »
  • SC4ED seems to have an issue with the Tile Editor.
    I edited quite a few with the built-in tile editor but after a while, whenever I tried to edit one tile, the current tile I was editing and the next one were COPIED two tiles back (overwritting the previous two tiles), which ended up with screwed up backgrounds. I think this issue only happened with BG tiles, but I'm not sure if it happens for other things too.

Maybe RedGuy could take a look at this.

This pretty much made me migrate from SC4ED and track down the background tiles with Tile Molester and edit them there due to the copy issue with SC4ED.

It is worth noting that the issue persisted even if I closed down and opened up SC4ED again.
    And things got even worse if I tried to edit the copied tiles manually within SC4ED... I ended up with a whole row of copied tiles. :/

It's likely a known problem of translating location in the editor->VRAM address->ROM address.  Many level tiles and maps leave gaps in VRAM to save ROM space by having multiple decompressed regions fill in the same logical thing in VRAM (e.g. BG0 tiles).  The solution would be to decompress everything associated with a level, combine them, and finally pad them to a reasonable size for future editing.  The editor makes a guess as to where the thing is in ROM.  I'll leave that for the next person who works on the editor to fix.  It's not a simple change.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2016, 06:09:03 pm »
It's likely a known problem of translating location in the editor->VRAM address->ROM address.  Many level tiles and maps leave gaps in VRAM to save ROM space by having multiple decompressed regions fill in the same logical thing in VRAM (e.g. BG0 tiles).  The solution would be to decompress everything associated with a level, combine them, and finally pad them to a reasonable size for future editing.  The editor makes a guess as to where the thing is in ROM.  I'll leave that for the next person who works on the editor to fix.  It's not a simple change.

I have tried doing so before but to me VSNES has such an overwhelming GUI and I can't seem to understand what to do with the save states to find the tilemap.

Would you be kind enough to give me a quick tuto?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 04:27:21 pm by ShadowOne333 »

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2016, 09:25:15 pm »
I have tried doing so before but to me VSNES has such an ocerwhelming GUI and I cant seem to understand what to do with the save states to find the tilemap.

Would you be kind enough to give me a quick tuto?

First off, get a copy of Anomie’s Register Doc, it has some very useful information on bg tile maps and sprite OAM.

In vSNES you will want to have 3 windows open: scene, memory, and hex viewers. (I'll be using Japan SC4.)

BG tile maps are stored in VRAM along with the graphics (they look like a bunch of squiggly lines). Find the start offset in the memory viewer and then navigate to that same position in the hex viewer.
Spoiler:

Looking here, we see a bunch of $0108 (which the SNES reads as $0801 since it uses little endian).
Code: [Select]
Each entry in the tilemap is 2 bytes, formatted as (high low):
  vhopppcc cccccccc

v/h  = Vertical/Horizontal flip this tile.
  o    = Tile priority.
  ppp  = Tile palette. The number of entries in the palette depends on the Mode
      and the BG.
  cccccccccc = Tile number.

$0801 = 00001000 00000001 = v/h: no; priority bit set: no; palette: 2; number: 1

Let's change the first tile to the tip of the cross on Dracula's grave. To do this, we need to look at the graphics to get the tile number.
Spoiler:
The black square is $00, the sky tile is $01, and the tip of the cross is tile number $02. Now we just need to change the corresponding bit(s).

00001000 00000010 = $0802
Now just flip the bytes and enter the new value over the old one in the hex viewer, then press "enter" for it to take effect.

Voila, the tile has changed!
Spoiler:

To apply these changes to the ROM, you simply need to search for the same values you see in the hex viewer in vSNES. Like most SNES games, SC4 compresses it's bg tile maps. Fortunately, RedGuy's SC4ED decompresses them with the graphics.