News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lost Romhack Request Thread  (Read 6947 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Lost Romhack Request Thread
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 12:54:43 pm »
EDIT: Found.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 11:09:21 am by Chronosplit »

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 02:25:01 am »
Can't find the patches Fire Emblem 7if in internet, any luck of this?
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

JDignam

• Cosmic Nepternity
    • View Profile
    • Weblog
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 06:35:19 am »
I'm not specifically looking for the file, but I'm looking for the reason as to why Mega Man: Origins was removed from RHDN and the file missing by RetroRain, does anyone know why it was removed?

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 07:10:56 am »
I don't know exactly, but it could be because the ips patch would contain at least 1 full ROM. Since it's categorized as a MM1 hack it would probably also contain the MM2 ROM with some code to stitch them together in some game select screen. Still tho, there's other hacks like that. Theres SMB All Stars for NES which would contain at least 3 whole ROMs.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 11:39:55 pm »
I have a copy of Dragon Quest I+II for Super Famicom that has the traslation, the fixed title screen patch, and the bugfix for the Prince in the Inn all applied. I remember the author of the Inn bugfix wanted to release it here but RHDN's site rules prevented him from doing so. I think he chose to only release it on byuu's board. After byuu updated his website and forum, that link disappeared, but I still have that copy on my PC.

What could be done with that?

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 11:50:01 pm »
if you've still got the copy just make an ips or something and post it here i guess, i did it but i never checked if it worked

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2016, 11:58:32 pm »
I could make an ips patch but it includes 3 separate things and I think site rules would not allow me to do so.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 02:15:59 am »
Somebody posted the IPS patch on the Romhack-ideas forum, I forget which page it was.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 05:27:13 am »
If it's something you can't do by using the 3 patches together than you could probably submit it to the site. Like if it had to shift data for all 3 to work together.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 09:27:01 pm »
Probably the best idea is to make a patch that assumes you have already prepatched it with the translation, then the title screen fix.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 08:18:55 pm »
Probably the best idea is to make a patch that assumes you have already prepatched it with the translation, then the title screen fix.

I would guess that would be sufficient. Ask M-Tee what to do with this. It seems silly not have to this patch here.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

hex_usr

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 10:44:39 pm »
Again, here's the link.

ROMHacking.net has a rule that any hack of a hack needs to come in the form of a patch for said hack. That means that, in order for my Beran Inn bugfix to be accepted, it needs to be a patch for mteam's Title Screen patch, not the original Japanese version. The reason for that is to prevent plagiarism. And in theory, this is an honorable reason.

But what if someone has never played Dragon Quest I & II before and wants to play it in English and with the fixes? In order to do so, that's 3 patches that need to be applied in order. Now, that wouldn't be so bad... if the first of those patches is inconsistent with the other 2 and requires that the ROM have a 512-byte copier header! In total, that's 5 steps in order to get started!

I know a few of you suggested that I include 2 separate patches in the archive, one for the original Japanese version, and one for mteam's Title Screen patch, but I don't think that would even be compliant with the rules. It's still "plagiarism" in the "legal" sense without any consideration for the circumstances.

I'd like to get this patch uploaded just like every other non-moderator here, but that's not going to happen soon.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2016, 05:36:57 am »
[Snipped]

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2016, 06:10:42 am »
I think the people who would have problems with 5 steps are the same people who have problems with 1 step patching. Just document the steps and people will follow them if they want the patch. It is much easier for them than redoing the hacking work.

The case with multiple source files is a bit trickier, but can be tackled by requiring certain names for the input roms and then http://superuser.com/questions/111825/a-command-line-or-batch-cmd-to-concatenate-multiple-files + xdelta in a batch script, or similar.

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2016, 07:22:07 am »
The 2-in-1 3-in-1 projects:
Your own code + looks for other people's code (not from this site), by signature checking.
And the code to put them together.

For mods of other people's work:
You could automate the steps too, except not the downloading (because RHDN download links are behind registration wall):
patch orig, delta1, tmp1
patch tmp1, delta2, tmp2
patch tmp2, delta3, final
delete tmp1, tmp2

Is it that hard?
If it is still too hard, someone could make a utility that does this pseudocode with an arbitrary number of links in the chain.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2016, 11:02:41 am »
Again, here's the link.

ROMHacking.net has a rule that any hack of a hack needs to come in the form of a patch for said hack. That means that, in order for my Beran Inn bugfix to be accepted, it needs to be a patch for mteam's Title Screen patch, not the original Japanese version. The reason for that is to prevent plagiarism. And in theory, this is an honorable reason.

But what if someone has never played Dragon Quest I & II before and wants to play it in English and with the fixes? In order to do so, that's 3 patches that need to be applied in order. Now, that wouldn't be so bad... if the first of those patches is inconsistent with the other 2 and requires that the ROM have a 512-byte copier header! In total, that's 5 steps in order to get started!

I know a few of you suggested that I include 2 separate patches in the archive, one for the original Japanese version, and one for mteam's Title Screen patch, but I don't think that would even be compliant with the rules. It's still "plagiarism" in the "legal" sense without any consideration for the circumstances.

I'd like to get this patch uploaded just like every other non-moderator here, but that's not going to happen soon.

I don't beleive that it's plagarism IF you are going to add them to the credits. Final Fantasy VI Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition and Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition already incorporate a lot patches made by other hackers and I've fully credited them for their work. But I also did a lot of additional work after the fact. But really this is a fix specifically for the translation.

What I would do is make a patch just for the translation without the title screen fix, and a patch for if the title screen fix is already applied. Add instructions to the readme on which patch does what and if anyone has an issue you can always refer them back to the readme. It would go under hacks- addendum and not a translation itself since you are fixing a bug in an existing translation. Like STARWIN said, people who have issues with multiple patches have issue with just one.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 12:33:55 pm »
I would think the purpose of a modding community is to build & incorporate the best, I think it is counterproductive that all fixes are kept separated.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2016, 09:35:50 pm »
Here's my honest thought and this would probably be best for the hacking community. Make an IPS patch for your Beran Inn fix that does NOT include the title screen fix. Add to the existing read me for the translation that you've added the fix. Release both as an update to the existing translation and add your name to the credits. Personally, I'd rather the page be consolidated, include the title screen fix AND the Beran Inn fix as ONE translation and still have the proper credits. ChrisRPG is dead, but maybe Mteam wouldn't mind that.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2016, 08:48:31 am »
As the author of the DQ1+2 title screen fix, allow me to elaborate a bit. Actually, hex_usr contacted me well over a year ago regarding this matter. The gist of it is that he asked me to distribute a combined patch with my DQ title screen fix and his Beran inn fix, while giving me the rights to do so. My response was that it didn't make any sense for me to distribute his work, but he was welcome to incorporate my patch as long as I was credited. I haven't kept tabs on this matter since. But for what it's worth, my offer still stands. hex_usr is free to include my work in his own patch. Truth be told, it is a really minor asm hack to begin with, certainly not worth all the red tape. Hope this helps.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2016, 11:28:07 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n23Ndz7pOBA

I have a request this time, I noticed Meduza_Team attempted Magic School Lunar for Saturn, and looks like he got as far with some of the text, and menu. I would love to have this partial patch just for the sake of navigation when playing it.

I forgot what Meduza personally said that one time I asked him about it as I can't find those comments at the moment.