News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: What do I do if the Nintendo ship sinks?  (Read 20506 times)

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
Re: What do I do if the Nintendo ship sinks?
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 07:54:18 pm »
May be. But it is happening all the same.

One does not need have to ride the bandwagon all of the time. Sometimes, one ought to jump off of the bandwagon and find one's own way.

You just might have to broaden your horizons. Scary thought though.

Well aren't you a funny cat.

I'm with Tharthan on this one. Playing games on a phone just sounds like a poor substitute for PC or TV. It's what you game on if you are on a train/bus

Exactly.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:01:37 pm by Tharthan »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 08:55:20 pm »
This whole "phone as a replacement for PC" thing is dumb. I don't want to carry around a dumb phone in my pocket all day. I don't want to be connected to the Web 24/7. And I don't want to have tracking going on by big companies of my activities which are none of their business.
Then don't carry it, don't be and if you can't dodge tracking and mess with their numbers then probably best to gain it as a skill.

I'm with Tharthan on this one. Playing games on a phone just sounds like a poor substitute for PC or TV. It's what you game on if you are on a train/bus or live in a closet (with no space).
A line I once read went something like "have you ever picked up your phone to look up something when you were sitting at a PC? If so then you experienced a failure in user interface/UX/whatever you want to call it". This would seem to be a cousin to that -- there is no great reason why you can't have an Iron Man style beam it onto that screen over there, indeed it is a fairly popular tech person trick to have audio and video/game wise MS seem to be doing some things (and their remote desktop has been lovely for years as long as you ignore the security woes), Steam's big picture has some stuff and some use raspberry pis and similar devices for stuff like it.

jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 09:11:02 pm »
One does not need have to ride the bandwagon all of the time. Sometimes, one ought to jump off of the bandwagon and find one's own way.
Cross-purposes. I'm just telling you where everyone else is already going. (Like lemmings?) The sales already show the trend, as also do the polls (see Technology Device Ownership: 2015.) You need to do what you want (and I'm with you there.) It's just that you need to be aware of where things are headed if you want to do any planning. I can't even get an ISA-16 or ISA-8 bus connector, anymore, as there aren't even any south bridge chips made anymore for general PC use. But I have kept my older machines exactly for this reason. I anticipated the change and planned for what I wanted to achieve.

My second thought arrives from your "find one's own way." I do that all the time. I still wire-wrap my own PC boards (for those ISA-16 slots!) I also do my own controllers for the GameCube, too. Custom stuff. So I go my own way. I think that means I agree with your statement. But it also takes knowledge and tools to do that. For those without the knowledge or tools, they either follow the crowd or get left behind. Just jumping off the bandwagon, clueless, is one way to wind up hurt by rocks in the road below. Blazing one's own paths requires skills and tools. Not usually for the light of heart.
An equal right to an opinion isn't a right to an equal opinion. -- 1995, me
Saying religion is the source of morality is like saying a squirrel is the source of acorns.  -- 2002, me

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2016, 11:05:07 pm »
But it also takes knowledge and tools to do that. For those without the knowledge or tools, they either follow the crowd or get left behind. Just jumping off the bandwagon, clueless, is one way to wind up hurt by rocks in the road below. Blazing one's own paths requires skills and tools. Not usually for the light of heart.

That's all fair enough.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2016, 04:25:44 am »
Tharthan, I think you underestimate how long Nintendo has been around, and how big they are, they're a Japanese national figure. They may start making products that you don't like, but I don't think you need to worry about them not making physical products in your lifetime or your children's.

Nintendo was a giant long before their or Sega's first home console.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2016, 12:09:33 pm »
Tharthan, I think you underestimate how long Nintendo has been around, and how big they are, they're a Japanese national figure. They may start making products that you don't like, but I don't think you need to worry about them not making physical products in your lifetime or your children's.

Nintendo was a giant long before their or Sega's first home console.

I know how long they've been around, but the thing is that I like Nintendo the first-party video game company, not Nintendo the hanafuda card company, nor Nintendo the toy company, nor a Nintendo that is a third-party video game developer.

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2016, 04:16:57 pm »
This whole "phone as a replacement for PC" thing is dumb. I don't want to carry around a dumb phone in my pocket all day. I don't want to be connected to the Web 24/7. And I don't want to have tracking going on by big companies of my activities which are none of their business.
Rootkit a tablet then and install a custom rom
_-|-_

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2016, 04:19:40 pm »
I know how long they've been around, but the thing is that I like Nintendo the first-party video game company, not Nintendo the hanafuda card company, nor Nintendo the toy company, nor a Nintendo that is a third-party video game developer.
I would like to see them try third party a bit. I also want to bring up how it seems that Nintendo holds back a lot of their great talent and does not allow it to flourish. Nintendo has some of the greatest minds in the industry, but they do not like to do different things anymore. They kinda need a big kick in the ass.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2016, 04:14:10 am »
What do I do if the Nintendo ship sinks?
So what could you possibly do? I guess you should just be acclimated to that, and perhaps feel nostalgia, but you can't do much, really. Unless you're rich enought to buy the company, but I seriously doubt that.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2016, 07:00:57 pm »
To be quite honest Nintendo had so much potential after I saw the Unreal Engine Demos for a couple of Zelda games. I often wondered why Nintendo didn't take this route to remake OOT in such detail, and for any other game, and future sequels/prequels.

Only 3rd Party companies took advantage of that for Dragon Quest Heroes & Hyrule Warriors.

If Nintendo could loosen up with the pride thing going on..I bet Nintendo would do awesome if they remade OOT in Unreal as a example.

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2016, 01:51:06 pm »
so new zelda, looks interesting
_-|-_

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2016, 02:24:53 pm »
so new zelda, looks interesting
Yeah, I am actually thinking about getting the NX for it and DQ XI. I would also like to point out that the only 2 zelda games I have played and enjoyed are LttP and a link between worlds.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2016, 02:46:12 pm »
I dunno, the last thing that would come to my mind when someone were to ask me how to fix Zelda is "Make the world bigger so there is more padding and more collectible stuff".

How about make the puzzles not so obvious that the solution is immediately clear upon entering a room? How about designing dungeons that make use of all the tools you aquired that far and not just tailor them to the one item of the dungeon that you can then throw away after it is complete? (And after you picked up a random hearth container or two somewhere on the overworld with it)
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2016, 04:32:49 pm »
How about make the puzzles not so obvious that the solution is immediately clear upon entering a room? How about designing dungeons that make use of all the tools you aquired that far and not just tailor them to the one item of the dungeon that you can then throw away after it is complete? (And after you picked up a random hearth container or two somewhere on the overworld with it)
Ever tried playing Alundra? It basically does this and the results are... well, rather mixed.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2016, 04:44:58 pm »
Alundra is awesome. The thing that bothers some people is the platforming combined with a perspective that makes distances hard to judge. The puzzling was great. Not to mention the story and athmosphere are leagues beyond any Zelda game as well. I'd replay Alundra over any post-OoT Zelda any day.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2016, 05:20:18 pm »
I think Alundra overdid the puzzles in a lot of cases. I guess you could call it a case of "git gud", but to me puzzles involving throwing objects onto moving platforms and pushing a series of pillars to specific places got ridiculously tedious - especially when enemies could interrupt you or you could take loads of damage for messing up.

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2016, 05:38:19 pm »
Crusader of Centy is pretty good on the newly acquired skill department thing.
_-|-_

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2016, 08:27:11 pm »
I have thought about when Nintendo will stop making consoles too.  The Wii U never took off at all... I don't remember seeing any advertisements at launch.  Hell, I didn't even know it came out until about 3 months after it did.  They have done a terrible job on it.  I did end up buying it about 7 months ago because I saw a new Zelda title was coming out for it, however, right after I bought it, the NX was confirmed.  We'll see how long they stick in the console market.  I hope we can get back to the SNES days where Nintendo was king of the hill, however I don't see that happening when you have Sony doing as well as they are... not to mention Xbox.
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2016, 09:33:57 pm »
I have thought about when Nintendo will stop making consoles too.  The Wii U never took off at all... I don't remember seeing any advertisements at launch.  Hell, I didn't even know it came out until about 3 months after it did.  They have done a terrible job on it.  I did end up buying it about 7 months ago because I saw a new Zelda title was coming out for it, however, right after I bought it, the NX was confirmed.  We'll see how long they stick in the console market.  I hope we can get back to the SNES days where Nintendo was king of the hill, however I don't see that happening when you have Sony doing as well as they are... not to mention Xbox.
I have owned two Wii's and one Wii U. All of them have exhibited problems in the cd drives -- difficulties reading CDs which are, so far as the eye can ascertain, pristine and clean. Eventually, they just stop working. It did take a few years' use for the Wii. It took only a half year for the Wii U. I've replaced the drives in the Wii units, successfully. I've cleaned the Wii U drive and it works better now. But this is a moving part and is prone to wear and practical experience has shown me that failure is too readily at hand with them. I've had some modest difficulties with cartridges in old NES and SNES units. But those are much, much older and they have sustained a lot more wear. Plus, I can much more easily clean them up. They still work fine after many years now. Plus, of course, they boot up real fast being ROM instead of relatively slow, rotating media.

3D was a big deal for a while. But it really sucks up huge amounts of resource (artists and programmers as well as hardware) and unless the game play actually requires 3D to work well, it almost always turns out that the effort that should have instead gone into a great game with excellent playability rather than into the overly complex art and programming and leaving game play more as an afterthought. That said, some games do use 3D well and it definitely makes the difference. But those categories are few.

I think most producers are actively out grabbing after the low-hanging fruit of Android and IOS phones (maybe someday Windows Universal, but who knows there?) Games there require hardly any thought at all and people make tons of cash selling almost anything. So who cares about crafted, thoughtful game playability anymore? Just pump out the next candy crush game. It's trivial to write, makes lots of money, and has near-zero manufacturing costs (transmission bandwidth is all.) I suppose all that has to simmer down on its own and find some natural level before anything else can work its way onto the scene.

I guess I don't know what the magic formula is. Is there one, now?
An equal right to an opinion isn't a right to an equal opinion. -- 1995, me
Saying religion is the source of morality is like saying a squirrel is the source of acorns.  -- 2002, me

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2016, 09:44:38 pm »
I guess I don't know what the magic formula is. Is there one, now?

It's definitely moving towards phone games I think. Some very fun games exist on the phone like the Supercell games.

The games are successful because you can turn them on for a minute or five and get something accomplished.  If I sit down for a console game, I truly like to have like 3 hours set aside. 

With all of that said, I still like console games and I hope that they are always around.
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks