News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: What do I do if the Nintendo ship sinks?  (Read 20507 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: What do I do if the Nintendo ship sinks?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2016, 01:25:23 am »
And, well... said tiny discs. That limited space to like a third of a normal DVD.
And not being able to play DVDs was a huge deal-breaker in 2001.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 10:25:35 am »
At this point, I'm almost O.K. with Nintendo banking out. Hell, most of the games that I liked on the Wii/Gamecube were third party anyway. The P.C. gaming market is still growing, with NVIDIA doubling my initial investment of $60 within a year. Same goes for many other hardware manufacturers. However, consoles have 3 roads they can take from here.

1. Die out

2. Turn into computers including being able to upgrade parts. (Kinda already there)

3. By some miracle people start to buy consoles again and we can all go back to the happy days of 12 years ago. (highly unlikely)

Honestly I'm worried about PC as well, mostly because of Win 10 being shit, mac being a joke, and Linux not getting the amount of gaming support that its competitors have.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 11:50:15 am »
Speaking as someone who got a lot out of his Wii/WiiU before I had to stop playing console games altogether of the last year or so, I enjoyed the systems quite a bit, although never for the gimmicky motion-control games.  I tended to play more traditional games on them, but I never really regretted the purchases.

IMO, as long as there are enough games on a system worth playing, I have no problem getting a new system.  And I have the patience to wait around and buy a used system too if there are only a few games I want to play on it too.  I'm definitely not going to be at a point where I can afford to even keep up with new games I really really like for a long time anyways...

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 11:55:56 am »
I feel somewhat not related to opinions which have been expressed (except for magictrufflez's).
"Consoles are going to die in favor of the PC" is a mentra we've heard at every generation (or almost). There needs to be something really different for that to happen. Other than game development cost going steadily up, while mobile gaming based on adds degrades the perceived requires value of games, I don't see so many different things nowadays that would justify the harsh statement above to come true.

Nintendo have brought "something else" to the table regularly. We can dislike them, we can think the Wii U is far from their best offer and disagree with trying to merge "tablet and TV" into a single experience, they try. Seeing innovation die "just because" would be a shame, in my opinion. In fact, other console makers have tried to catch up on a number of innovations and ideas that Nintendo werefirst to implement. While I agree that sometimes I prefer the enhanced copycat to the original, I give credit where it is due.

I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. I have a PS3 and I liked it a lot (for RockBand, mainly ;)). I'm going to get a PS4 just because of Super Robot Taisen OG:MD. In fact, I choose my hardware according to the games I really want to play. Discussing if a hardware or another should die is completely secondary to me.
Advance Wars has been a fun series, and I only regret the darkness of the latest DS entry.
Fire Emblem have driven me from Nintendo console to console, and I've enjoyed every bit of it (even the crazy random number generator frustrations ;D). Phoenix Wright has also entertained me a lot.
Metal Gear Acid on the PSP was worth investing in the console, and my SRW AP project was chosen because I have that console.

Why make such harsh statements, when the electronics industry is such a tough space to play in?
The easiest route is "more power, promise more realism, and then give more FPS and platformers".
Trying to do something different is bound to bring some failures, but also to bring refreshing novelty to an otherwise capitalistic market with no heart for gamers.

Also, if you can't own HW+SW, you're bound to be quickly limited. So I hope Nintendodon't go that route for real...

That, is what I think.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2016, 12:21:45 pm »
"What do I do if the Nintendo ship sinks?" Roast marshmallows over the flaming engine. >:D

Seriously, and I shouldn't have to say it here of all places, worst case scenario, there's always the classics.

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2016, 12:36:49 pm »
Nintendo have brought "something else" to the table regularly.

This is so true.

Phoenix Wright has also entertained me a lot.

Me too!

Seriously, and I shouldn't have to say it here of all places, worst case scenario, there's always the classics.

That's true enough.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2016, 08:25:22 pm »
Should I stick with PC gaming if they go down, or is there a console that I may like instead that I ought to go to?
Play the games that you like on the systems you can afford.

/thread
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2016, 09:22:42 pm »
How likely do you guys think it is that a lot of games just start going mobile instead? Hell, if i was able to use a controller with my phone (I can but with limited support) and there was a good amount of quality titles coming out, I would be quite okay with it.

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 03:03:01 am »
2. Turn into computers including being able to upgrade parts. (Kinda already there)

*Cough* Steam machines *cough*

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 03:10:22 am »
*Cough* Steam machines *cough*

Ouya?
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 04:33:22 pm »
How likely do you guys think it is that a lot of games just start going mobile instead? Hell, if i was able to use a controller with my phone (I can but with limited support) and there was a good amount of quality titles coming out, I would be quite okay with it.

Honestly, I think that's a very likely outcome. I already do all of my retro gaming on my phone with a Moga controller rather than my PC nowadays. I can easily connect my phone to my TV if I want to use a larger screen too. Most people already have a smartphone so the user base is there, and ports like GTA: San Andreas and Dragon Quest 8 show that there's a lot of potential there. I loved my PS3, Wii, and DS, but I find myself a little less excited about my PS4 and 3DS. I'm not sure I'd bother buying another console after those run their course.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 05:25:02 pm »
I agree that mobile's getting to be a platform with great potential.  It still has a little while 'til then, but with the proper support and OS a big tablet will be a real option in the future I feel.

I admit that I was more excited for the mobile version of DQ7 than 3DS.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 06:39:09 pm by Chronosplit »

jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 05:41:05 pm »
Honestly, I think that's a very likely outcome. I already do all of my retro gaming on my phone with a Moga controller rather than my PC nowadays. I can easily connect my phone to my TV if I want to use a larger screen too. Most people already have a smartphone so the user base is there, and ports like GTA: San Andreas and Dragon Quest 8 show that there's a lot of potential there. I loved my PS3, Wii, and DS, but I find myself a little less excited about my PS4 and 3DS. I'm not sure I'd bother buying another console after those run their course.
There is no question at all that PC desktops (except for certain business use and for high end gaming machines) are diminishing rapidly as an end user home computer. Over time, I think this will drive up prices on these desktops as the volume declines precipitiously and the remaining customer base can afford the extra costs more readily. People never really did need all of those huge contraptions. They usually used the web for browsing and did some word processing or email work at home. And games, of course. But games can be done on the phone.

Microsoft delivered a tour de force in early October, last year. They covered a number of new products, including their hololens. But what really was impressive to me were two items: their new Lumia 950 phone and the new Surface Book laptop. I was so impressed that I ordered my Surface Book (I'm using it now) the next day. But their phone was equally impressive. I saw support for USB 3.C and the transfer rates of about 6GB/second on that device! It also supported all of the usual phone features, simulataneously while the phone also was driving a video tied to HDMI and running a complete Windows operating system and all of the usual programs like Excel and Word on a desktop background. When you visit a friend's house, all you need to do is ask them if they have a spare monitor (not uncommon in the US) and a spare keyboard, drop down your phone and hook these up (there is a small 'box' for this) and then you have a complete PC there. Why drag around a PC anymore? You can have one in your phone.

What saddens me a bit about the use of phones, as replacements for PCs, is that there is a huge draw for talent to create simplistic games and then pumping this out rapid-fire into a $0.99 paying public and adding even more monetizing to the process by having in-app ads plus in-app purchases. If all the game talent goes into chasing down these low-hanging fruits, it's going to be quite some time before people start demanding better gaming experiences. They will just go from one cheap toy game to another for a while. And this will suck away all the air for truly great game development. Why spend millions of dollars, hire very difficult to find talent, push them all hard for six months, and take a huge risk that any of this will show enough profit return. When the alternative is to hire cheaper, less talented folks, who are easy to find and easy to replace, get them pumping out stuff in a few weeks or a month, spend almost nothing at all on artists and musicians, and generate app after app in quick succession, raking in more than enough dollars and while taking much, much less risk on each. You get faster tracking of what you are doing, too, so it is easier to run around taking advantage of changes in attitudes or buying directions that arrive. More flexible, in short. And the public itself will grow to expect nothing more, too. Especially those born into this environment and with no better personal experiences to draw from.
An equal right to an opinion isn't a right to an equal opinion. -- 1995, me
Saying religion is the source of morality is like saying a squirrel is the source of acorns.  -- 2002, me

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 06:06:32 pm »
This whole "phone as a replacement for PC" thing is dumb. I don't want to carry around a dumb phone in my pocket all day. I don't want to be connected to the Web 24/7. And I don't want to have tracking going on by big companies of my activities which are none of their business.

I'm happy to stick with my desktop computer which I already own, thanks. And I'll buy a computer preinstalled with GNU/Linux when I need a new one.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2016, 06:17:30 pm »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 03:54:15 pm by FCandChill »

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 06:41:32 pm »
...Which distribution?

Probably Lubuntu. If I can't find one preinstalled with Lubuntu, I'll get one with another distribution and install Lubuntu on it most likely.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 06:49:57 pm »
What saddens me a bit about the use of phones, as replacements for PCs, is that there is a huge draw for talent to create simplistic games and then pumping this out rapid-fire into a $0.99 paying public and adding even more monetizing to the process by having in-app ads plus in-app purchases. If all the game talent goes into chasing down these low-hanging fruits, it's going to be quite some time before people start demanding better gaming experiences. They will just go from one cheap toy game to another for a while. And this will suck away all the air for truly great game development. Why spend millions of dollars, hire very difficult to find talent, push them all hard for six months, and take a huge risk that any of this will show enough profit return. When the alternative is to hire cheaper, less talented folks, who are easy to find and easy to replace, get them pumping out stuff in a few weeks or a month, spend almost nothing at all on artists and musicians, and generate app after app in quick succession, raking in more than enough dollars and while taking much, much less risk on each. You get faster tracking of what you are doing, too, so it is easier to run around taking advantage of changes in attitudes or buying directions that arrive. More flexible, in short. And the public itself will grow to expect nothing more, too. Especially those born into this environment and with no better personal experiences to draw from.
This is a good point, but I think things will change if the status quo does.  At the same time paid apps are still viable, though the general public at the moment will install a free one first (because it's free) or will scoff at big prices.  There are also hybrid deals, like most things in the Pinball genre for example, that offer much more than the typical freebie but you need to pay for what you're playing most of the time.

Then again this is coming from me who does things a little different.  I will very rarely use free apps myself unless they have a paid option to get rid of ads or a similar upgrade, or are ports of open source things.

jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 07:32:26 pm »
This whole "phone as a replacement for PC" thing is dumb.
May be. But it is happening all the same.
An equal right to an opinion isn't a right to an equal opinion. -- 1995, me
Saying religion is the source of morality is like saying a squirrel is the source of acorns.  -- 2002, me

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 07:32:35 pm »
You just might have to broaden your horizons. Scary thought though.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 07:39:12 pm »
May be. But it is happening all the same.

I'm with Tharthan on this one. Playing games on a phone just sounds like a poor substitute for PC or TV. It's what you game on if you are on a train/bus or live in a closet (with no space).
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...