News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: What do I do if the Nintendo ship sinks?  (Read 20495 times)

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
What do I do if the Nintendo ship sinks?
« on: June 11, 2016, 03:32:23 pm »
I've been a Nintendo gamer my whole life. I've only briefly played other companies' consoles over relatives' and friends' houses.

Nintendo seems to be a sinking ship when it comes to being a first party developer for its own consoles. I'm pretty sure they are banking on the NX being a success, but there's no guarantee of that.

I'm with Nintendo so long as they are a first party developer, but Nintendo is more and more looking like Sega did back in the late '90s.

I don't want to abandon Nintendo. I even have a little bit of stock in them (I have for a good while now). I like their products, their games, and their family-friendly attitude. But I'm going to have to do something if they leave first party development.

Should I stick with PC gaming if they go down, or is there a console that I may like instead that I ought to go to?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:59:17 pm by Tharthan »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: What do I do if the Nintendo ship sinks?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 04:01:59 pm »
It's undoubtedly better for everyone (except arguably Nintendo employees/stockholders) if Nintendo goes the Sega route and stops making consoles and focuses on software/portable.  If Mario/Zelda games started coming out for PC instead of being Nintendo exclusives, that'd be freaking sweet. That way you can get their awesome games without having to buy their ridiculous, awkward, gimmicky consoles.

Look at these freaking things.  What planet are they from?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/06/wii-u-controller-press-1307466616.jpg
http://keera.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/wiimote.jpg

Why do I need a 2nd screen?  Why would I want to move my entire head to look away from my giant TV screen towards my lap so I can see an image on a smaller, shittier display?  Or hear sound effects coming from a smaller, shittier speaker?  Why the fuck is there a microphone?  And a camera?

Nintendo has the entire concept of accessories backwards.  They keep designing gimmicky controllers and then try to shoe-horn games into using them.  The right way to do it is to start with an awesome game idea that the standard controller doesn't quite work with, and then make a controller for it specifically.  Franchises where this has proven remarkably successful is DDR, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, etc.

I'm reminded of this Let's Play video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqoqueKeEFk

These guys are clear Nintendo fanboys and sing the praise of the console about how creative and interesting it is -- but then at several points through the video they're wrestling with the stupid gimmicky controls.

This part here is the perfect example of what I mean:
https://youtu.be/eqoqueKeEFk?t=13m40s

Mike:  "It says look at the gamepad"
James:  "I like looking at the TV.  I'll look at what I want"

They say that in jest, but he's fucking right.  There's no reason he should have to look at the gamepad -- the game is forcing you into using a stupid gimmick.

Ramble Ramble Ramble

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 04:04:05 pm »
I'd go with Sony. Not as family friendly, but it's Japanese based. So it may get more Nintendo games than xbox.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 04:06:52 pm »
I think consoles in general are going to be dying out. They just aren't as necessary anymore.

Find yourself a used PS2 (you can even still find them brand new in the box) and you'll have awesome games for years to come. They are also back-compatible with PS1 games no matter what model/version/revision you buy. This may not be your thing, but it's also very easy to get them to play burned games as well.*

*I personally don't feel bad about pirating old games because the people that are still hanging onto them want too much for them. The developers already got their money so I don't really care about padding someone else's wallet just because I want to play a classic such as Valkyrie Profile (200 fucking dollars!!!) in my native language (there are a zillion JP copies for cheap, but who cares?). I also prefer to play undubs (because bad dubs can completely destroy a game's atmosphere) and these obviously cannot be purchased anywhere.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 04:13:02 pm »
Why does them going third party matter? Indeed I might argue them continuing to be first party is not necessarily a good thing (they don't seem to be able to design hardware any more and their business practices don't seem to be the best for third party devs). I imagine they would probably wrangle a way to get their chosen controller format on whatever you like too, though I am not sure they added much to the controller world that stuck since popularising the analogue stick.

From where I sit Nintendo are the only company still doing 3d platforming*, everything else they do seems to have been picked up and done, in many cases better than comparable efforts (compare modern rayman to New Super Mario Brothers), by other devs. I would love to see people take the mario kart formula and run with it rather than try to clone it -- last time it happened we got Diddy Kong Racing, these days we seem to get not even "good" clones like Lego Racers, Digimon racing and Crash nitro kart and instead Nascar's effort.

*other than Rare's collection of rereleases most things seem to have gone "action adventure" rather than 3d spacial platforming. I do not know whether we would see a revival, even something along the lines of the recent glut of space games, if Nintendo left the space a bit freer.

And if I can stifle the giggles at the phrase family friendly then Nintendo are so far from the last bastion of it that it is not funny. Sure you can can usually have a very basic algorithm along the lines of if developer = Nintendo and game =/= advance wars* then no tits, blood, harsh language or drugs will be in the game. If you are that lazy in game selection with needs such as that though then your monocle deserves to be shattered when it falls in shock.

*given Nintendo's treatment of the series that is possibly a redundant part of that.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 04:23:25 pm »
I would love to see people take the mario kart formula and run with it rather than try to clone it -- last time it happened we got Diddy Kong Racing, these days we seem to get not even "good" clones like Lego Racers, Digimon racing and Crash nitro kart and instead Nascar's effort.

Just want to mention that LEGO Racers was awesome and since you're a Nintendo guy Tharthan, you may want to check this out on the N64 if you haven't already. I remember it being a little better than the PS1 version. It's fun (family friendly) game and you can build your own cars and racers. The more you win the more blocks you get to choose from and the power-ups are really cool. One even works kinda like a worm-hole that allows you to jump ahead on the track. Great stuff.

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 04:35:29 pm »
They keep designing gimmicky controllers and then try to shoe-horn games into using them.

Actually, Disch, the Wii U Gamepad allows me to play Wii U games portably (albeit only from a room or two away). I'm able to play Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World from my bedroom, rather than having to go into the living room with the big flat screen television. It's almost like playing the game on a 3DS. It's not bad, frankly. I'd rather save the big flat screen television experience for if I have friends over playing the games with me.

compare modern rayman to New Super Mario Brothers

I dunno,  New Super Mario Bros. is pretty fun. I'm actually thinking of buying some (if not all) of the DLC for New Super Mario Bros. 2 when I get the chance to buy an eShop points card. However, since you mentioned Rayman, I may well consider buying the 3DS Rayman game too.

If you are that lazy in game selection with needs such as that though then your monocle deserves to be shattered when it falls in shock.

It's not about laziness. I just prefer family-friendly stuff. I mean, I myself don't swear or anything like that, and I prefer family-friendliness because it is comforting and relaxing.

Just want to mention that LEGO Racers was awesome and since you're a Nintendo guy Tharthan, you may want to check this out on the N64 if you haven't already. I remember it being a little better than the PS1 version. It's fun (family friendly) game and you can build your own cars and racers. The more you win the more blocks you get to choose from and the power-ups are really cool. One even works kinda like a worm-hole that allows you to jump ahead on the track. Great stuff.

I'll look into it. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 05:24:32 pm by Tharthan »

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 04:45:39 pm »
Even if Nintendo would finally abandon making consoles (let's hope so for the sake of everyone) they'd still make games. They'd just be on other platforms.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 05:02:15 pm »
Limiting yourself to only one brand is missing out, Tharthan. Trust me on this.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 05:17:55 pm »
Limiting yourself to only one brand is missing out, Tharthan. Trust me on this.

For real. I remember I always used to just eat legit Doritos. Turns out I like some of the cheap knock-offs just as good (not that they really taste all that similar, but they provide variety).

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 05:21:21 pm »
Just want to mention that LEGO Racers was awesome

Yeah I thought as I typed that I might be accused of disparaging it.

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 05:22:04 pm »
Turns out I like some of the cheap knock-offs just as good (not that they really taste all that similar, but they provide variety).

What knock-offs are there? I've never seen Doritos knock-offs in the market.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 05:50:19 pm »
Yeah I thought as I typed that I might be accused of disparaging it.

I didn't think you were dissing it or anything. I just wanted to throw my two cents in since I had played two diff versions of it. I figured Tharthan may be interested in it given the criteria and his affinity for Nintendo.

What knock-offs are there? I've never seen Doritos knock-offs in the market.

Seems like they are usually just called something to the effect of "nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips" or something similar. The ones made by Lance (they make a bunch of diff snack foods like crackers and such) are probably some of my favs. I think I've only seen them in vending machines though. Golden Flake also makes some called Maizetos. I like the Lance version better though. The Maizetos are kinda garlic-y or something. It's been a while since I've had any Tom's, so I don't remember how good they were. Their Hot Fries are totally awesome though. I think there's also a brand of nacho cheese chips that I've only seen at Walmart but I can't remember the brand. May have just been the great value kind, I guess.

I was just thinking, you may not have seen some of these because I think a few of them are primarily distributed in the south.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 05:52:33 pm »
Should I stick with PC gaming if they go down, or is there a console that I may like instead that I ought to go to?
PC is going down just like Nintendo, the market is shrinking and hardware developers now devise trojans inside chips on a monthly basis, you are wasting your time.

Anyway, if you keep optimist there are enough Nintendo, SEGA, Sony, MicroSoft etc games to play for your entire life. Nintendo games already have been dropping quantity and quality largely, through the last years, and they can't even keep up simple ideas anymore. :)

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 06:25:13 pm »
I was just thinking, you may not have seen some of these because I think a few of them are primarily distributed in the south.

That's most likelily it.

PC is going down just like Nintendo, the market is shrinking and hardware developers now devise trojans inside chips on a monthly basis, you are wasting your time.

Are you talking about personal computers as a whole? If so, then I'm not sure what the replacement is supposed to be. I don't use tablets nor do I use cyberphones (a.k.a. "smartphones"), and I don't consider them suitable replacements for the personal computer. I had two iPod Touches over the course of a few years, but I eventually grew tired of them and sold them both.

What seems to be happening with the mainstream PC OSes is that they are merging with the cyberphone industry ( confer Windows 8 ). Thankfully, I use Lubuntu and don't have to deal with the likes of post-Windows 7 Microsoft.

Anyway, if you keep optimist there are enough Nintendo, SEGA, Sony, MicroSoft etc games to play for your entire life.

That's true. That's something to smile about.  :)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 06:26:16 pm »
Actually, Disch, the Wii U Gamepad allows me to play Wii U games portably (albeit only from a room or two away). [snip] It's almost like playing the game on a 3DS.

So it combines all the shitty parts of a portable device (small screen, have to tilt your neck down, have to hold it upright, being as ergonomic as a plank of wood) without the solitary benefit of actually being portable.

Umm.... "cool"?

Oh wait... no, "cool" isn't the word I'm looking for... "ridiculous and lame" is what I meant.  ;P

I'd rather save the big flat screen television experience for if I have friends over playing the games with me.

"Save"?  What, does it cost something?

I don't know, Tharthan, this sounds to me like you're just trying to rationalize a really stupid gimmick as not being as stupid as it actually is.

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 06:49:37 pm »
Umm.... "cool"?

Oh wait... no, "cool" isn't the word I'm looking for... "ridiculous and lame" is what I meant.  ;P

It doesn't feel uncomfortable when I lie down in my bed and play a game on the Gamepad. So it definitely beats something like the Wiimote; a controller that I never liked.

"Save"?  What, does it cost something?

No, but I'd rather save the best experience for the best situation, y'see.

I don't know, Tharthan, this sounds to me like you're just trying to rationalize a really stupid gimmick as not being as stupid as it actually is.

Maybe it's a stupid gimmick, but it hasn't caused much harm to my gaming experience. The games that I've played allow me to play them on the Gamepad or on the television, and don't require me to look down on the Gamepad for much of anything if I wanted to play them on the television.

The only game that has caused me to look at the television when I am playing on the Gamepad or to look at the Gamepad when playing on the television is the game Nintendo Land.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 10:56:13 pm »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:28:39 pm by FCandChill »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 11:08:14 pm »
The GameCube controller is used by Smash Bros. professionals for a reason.

I don't have beef with the Gamecube controller.  Or even with the Gamecube in general.  NGC was like the last non-gimmicky console Nintendo made.

But it's 15 years and 3 generations old.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 11:37:42 pm »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:30:28 pm by FCandChill »