News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Advance Hacking  (Read 1656 times)

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
  • They actually updated this site. Hallelujah.
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Final Fantasy IV Advance Hacking
« on: June 05, 2016, 11:07:48 am »
Does anyone have any insight on how to go about hacking this? There isn't a known ROM map nor are there any useful utilities.
Final Fantasy Redux is complete! Download

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Advance Hacking
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 02:50:11 pm »
There's this: http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=2092.0

A lot really don't look to the GBA version of it for hacking at all, mostly because of the combination of bugs and the usual GBA nerfs.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 02:51:13 pm »
Are you looking for anything specific? I have the text information about this game, I just need to organize a lot of stuff here to put a lot of data into Data Crystal. :)

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 03:02:42 pm »
A lot really don't look to the GBA version of it for hacking at all, mostly because of the combination of bugs and the usual GBA nerfs.
Really? I've never understood why the GBA version isn't considered superior to the original. It has post game content, party swapping, more abilities, better translation, and enhanced sprites and music.

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 03:05:31 pm »
Are you looking for anything specific? I have the text information about this game, I just need to organize a lot of stuff here to put a lot of data into Data Crystal. :)
I'd like to edit character information such as names, jobs, commands, spell lists, and sprites. Map editing would be nice as well, but I assume that's going to be a bit more difficult.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 04:34:50 pm »
I'm playing the pal version right now and there is a bit of menu lag in it during battles, which gets more noticeable once you have a full party. But it's very nice otherwise, especially with the patches from this site. I can't help with the hacking though.

Might be cool to play from Kain's perspective or something.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 10:45:46 pm »
A while back I asked the same questions I did here regarding Final Fantasy IV The After Years (specifically the Wii Ware version), but never received a response. Any ideas on how to hack that? I haven't even been able to find a ROM of it online thus far...

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 10:52:57 am »
Really? I've never understood why the GBA version isn't considered superior to the original. It has post game content, party swapping, more abilities, better translation, and enhanced sprites and music.
Hacking-wise, in my opinion it's mostly because the SNES version has so much more that is actually known about it and there was good work done before the GBA versions even popped up.  A really good utility doesn't hurt either.  This is true for most of the lot, though V has the Custom Classes patch (even though a similar thing already exists for SNES).

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 11:28:08 am »
So I just stuffed almost everything you need to know to edit text in FF4A, you can check ROM map and text table.

Two things: I don't have time to sort out all the equivalent kanjis in this version, and you still need to figure out where the block addresses are, because the TEXT format is not loaded as whole, but segmented portions. If everything follows FF6A model, there is one for Sound Test, one for Bestiary, one for menus listing and so on... ;)

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 04:19:58 am »
Really? I've never understood why the GBA version isn't considered superior to the original.

Because it's laggy as heck, which causes the active battle system to be a bit broken. The EUR version is a little better than the USA one, but still pretty bad, especially compared to the silky-smooth SNES version.

I really don't mind the original translation, especially after reading Tomato's writeup on it...but yeah, that one's a little more difficult to play on the go, and the extra content is kind of neat.