News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Romancing SaGa 2 - Active project?  (Read 5569 times)

traumafox

• View Profile
Romancing SaGa 2 - Active project?
« on: June 15, 2014, 07:33:31 pm »
Japanese translator here. I've seen a WIP hack of Romancing SaGa 2 (SFC) that claims to have just about everything but the script done. I've had a difficult time getting in contact with anyone involved with that project, however, and am assuming it's dead in the water at this point. While I would like to just go ahead and write a script, I know I can't manage a good one without knowing character limits, line break points, and so on. As someone who translates and typesets printed material, I fully understand the importance of tailoring your writing to fit a given area; high quality is my top priority.

I guess it's a longshot, but if anyone here knows anything about the project or the people originally involved with it, I'd appreciate any information I can get. I'm a big SaGa fan, and this is the one game of the series that English-speakers have not had any real access to; I'd be proud to provide a high quality translation if I can find an active team for it.

If the project really is dead and there is no choice left but to start from scratch, what options would I have for finding hackers willing to dig into that? I've tried to educate myself on the romhacking scene as best possible over the years, but it's a bit tough to follow, so my apologies if this sounds like an improper request or is the wrong place to ask. At the very least, this isn't a "wouldn't it be nice if" thread; I'm an experienced translator who can actually commit to a project and produce results, and it would be a shame to let the opportunity go to waste.

Thanks in advance for any input you might have.

TheFireRed

• Restricted Access
  • Fall of Fall
    • View Profile
Re: Romancing SaGa 2 - Active project?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:44:02 pm »
You've just come to the right place. RHDN is full with experienced hackers and I'm sure the SaGa series will catch their attention. You just need to post a Help Wanted ad here and follow its discussion in a topic such as this. I'm wishing you good luck with your project.  :thumbsup:

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:45:47 pm »
The script's already been translated by Eien ni Hen, one of the community's best translators.

Why don't you translate RS3?

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14980.0.html

traumafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 08:00:23 pm »
Thanks for the reply. That's the first I've ever heard of any more progress being done on RS2, despite years of hunting for information. Is there an active project thread or page where I might be able to keep track of it, or is it shrouded in secrecy?

As for RS3, that's a Spanish translation project, and I unfortunately do not speak Spanish. Maybe you mean I can contribute in a J->E->S fashion, but that sort of thing goes against my standard of quality, I'm afraid. While I'll admit I would love to re-translate RS3 to give it the quality it deserves (no offense to the existing translation(s) and their providers, of course), I'd rather put my efforts into something that until now has not seen any public release. But if you say RS2 is already taken care of, I guess the best I can do is wait to see it happen.

Maybe RS1? I haven't followed that in many years, but I recall there being some serious programming issues that made it very difficult to insert a script, so I'm not sure if any project was ever finished.

EDIT: Sorry, I read through the thread some more, now I see what's going on. I'll reply there.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:11:58 pm by traumafox »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:33:29 pm »
Nah, Romancing Saga 3 was already fully hacked by a Spanish translator. He used that to translate directly from Japanese to Spanish, but he offered to help produce an English translation provided there is a translator who can translate from Japanese to English. (I'm actually involved in a project that followed this exact same pattern :P )

Like how Gemini helped with an English retranslation of Castlevania Symphony of the Night while working on an Italian script.
Or how the Spanish team handling Saturn Policenauts is helping with an English translation.
Of course, all with the English properly translated straight from the JP version.

Seeing all SaGa games eventually translated one day gives me hope someone will maybe look at the Hanjaku Hero series, so I'm rooting for you. For what it's worth, all SaGa SNES games do have translations in other languages, but the problematic ones were Terranigma-like, almost NES quality text.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:11:20 pm »
RS2's script is translated, yes; the primary issue is one of some remaining technical work and a lack of time/energy with which to do that work.

traumafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:22:32 pm »
Happy to hear it's coming along, even if things have slowed down. I guess this topic is done then; I've gone ahead and offered up my talents in the other thread and will continue posting there. Thanks for the very quick replies, everyone.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 09:16:33 am »
Maybe RS1?

If I understand correctly, minstrel song was a remake of RS1. I tried to play minstrel song a bit, but it didn't feel as high quality as SNES games do. Not sure how much the older age shows in RS2 and RS1 though. RS3 is definitely a quality game, so retranslating it is a safe choice in that sense.

So from how things seem to be going, RS1 will be left with the least amount of attention.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 02:50:00 pm »
If I understand correctly, minstrel song was a remake of RS1. I tried to play minstrel song a bit, but it didn't feel as high quality as SNES games do. Not sure how much the older age shows in RS2 and RS1 though. RS3 is definitely a quality game, so retranslating it is a safe choice in that sense.

So from how things seem to be going, RS1 will be left with the least amount of attention.

I at least will probably not ever look at RS1, simply because of Minstrel Song, yes. It's sort of a director's cut - along with the graphical and aural upgrade, it fixes several things wrong with the original (including one of the fatestones that was unobtainable due to a bug in the software.)

YeahYeahNo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 06:02:02 am »
RS2's script is translated, yes; the primary issue is one of some remaining technical work and a lack of time/energy with which to do that work.

For some reason, my posts in this thread were removed and the thread itself locked, but i think the release of RS 2 on Android is still a good justification for revive the thread, and since i never got feedback for why it was closed the thread and my comments removed, i'll take it as if someone carelessly did it.

Romancing Saga 2 in English is finally landing on Android. I thought it was a nice event to ask about what is the state and energy of those behind the snes translation project (after all, it has been many years since the subject was discussed, and given the recent events, i think it is only fair to ask). I was told that the english translation didn't affect that much the project, but i argued that, like Fire Emblem 4 is finally getting the translation as a celebration of its 20th anniversary, maybe there is something going on to at last close the cycle.

I'd like to know this for the reasons outlined before, and i think it is a fair question given the news which justifies the necromancy (instead of polluting the forum with threads that discusses the same subject). I'd actually like to read the answer and not wonder what happened with it. Thanks.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 09:49:00 pm »
I can't speak for the mods, but your replies were likely removed because the thread was five years old and you contributed nothing other than begging for someone to do a ton of free work for you without realizing exactly how much work one of these projects entails. I apologize if I come across as harsh; I just don't have a lot of patience with people who don't really understand what they're asking for. That said...

I was told that the english translation didn't affect that much the project, but i argued that, like Fire Emblem 4 is finally getting the translation as a celebration of its 20th anniversary, maybe there is something going on to at last close the cycle.

This is precisely the wrong time to be talking about trying to galvanize support behind a fan project. Square-Enix sunk in the money to remake the game and release it in English. If you really like the game and want to support it, buy it. Any fan projects around the SNES version happening at this juncture would likely be seen as competition by the people who rightfully own the IP and should not be entertained. In another year or two, after the game has made its money, perhaps, but not now.

YeahYeahNo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 07:37:43 am »
Thanks for the answers. Suggesting a project should not be confused with ignoring its scope and the effort needed. This forum has threads in which people can suggest ideas and also translators and programmers willing to do any job. It seems natural to me to make a suggestion, since anyone can accept it or not, i'm not judging anyone. On the other hand, i don't agree my post didn't contribute a thing, this is what the rules say about necromancy and the subject of my post
Please try not to ask if there's any updates. Updates come when something new does come up, and no earlier than that.
Please do not resurrect old topics unless you have something very relevant or new news to add. Often dubbed 'thread necromancy'
I may be wrong, but for me, the translation and release of a cult game that has remained untranslated for 23 years old was quite a big news, closely related to the subject of this forum and after 5 years, i thought was worth it to remember the snes remained untranslated.

But you are right, there may be problems translating it in these times. I'll come back in two years.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 03:14:19 am »
On the other hand, i don't agree my post didn't contribute a thing, this is what the rules say about necromancy and the subject of my postI may be wrong, but for me, the translation and release of a cult game that has remained untranslated for 23 years old was quite a big news, closely related to the subject of this forum and after 5 years, i thought was worth it to remember the snes remained untranslated.

There's a thread in the Game Discussion forum discussing the mobile version of the game.

If we're going to be quoting rules, then there's also this:
It is never a good idea to request someone else do work for you. That includes asking for someone to make a utility, do a translation, write a document etc.
"Remembering" at people or reminding them is requesting. Our hairs - or at least mine - do not split that fine. See also: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,6734.0.html That first rule you quoted (and boldfaced, even) specifically refers to updates to our projects by us, not external events we have no control over.

A common misconception is, "There's been no public movement on a project, ergo there's been no movement on a project." This is an objectively bad assumption, no matter how old the previous news. A similar related misconception is "There's been no public movement on a project, ergo the hacker has forgotten about it." This is also an objectively bad assumption. Reminding people when they don't need to be reminded is called nagging. Nobody likes being nagged.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 01:50:28 pm »
"Remembering" at people or reminding them is requesting. Our hairs - or at least mine - do not split that fine. See also: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,6734.0.html That first rule you quoted (and boldfaced, even) specifically refers to updates to our projects by us, not external events we have no control over.

A common misconception is, "There's been no public movement on a project, ergo there's been no movement on a project." This is an objectively bad assumption, no matter how old the previous news. A similar related misconception is "There's been no public movement on a project, ergo the hacker has forgotten about it." This is also an objectively bad assumption. Reminding people when they don't need to be reminded is called nagging. Nobody likes being nagged.
Well, then I guess I owe @Jeffman an apology in Starmen.net. He must still be pissed at me.

YeahYeahNo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 02:44:46 pm »
Ok i'm sorry. I thought 5 years was time enough to ask about things. My apologies.