News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)  (Read 154734 times)

njosro

• View Profile
Re: Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)
« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2021, 02:39:02 pm »
We have a cool update for today!

After a couple of weeks of experimentation, we cracked the music format of the game!
I've composed a few new tunes so far. Here's one possibility for caves at night...

https://youtu.be/YQxfQ5pQucU

We also added a stats portion to the pause menu. Page 3 shows your completion percentage for treasure chests and screens visited, along with a kill counter and play timer.
Plus, item selection is much easier! Items are in fixed positions on the menu and an A/B marker appears over the selected items.

The new 8x8 font here is looking fantastic. Can I see all of the characters please?
IcePenguin is away right now, but when he's back he might be able to show off more of his custom font.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2021, 01:26:08 am »
Cheerleader Effect by Carpenter Brut seems like a good spelunking song.
https://carpenterbrut.bandcamp.com/album/leather-teeth

Cobra or Zombie Night by Dance with the Dead works too.
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/album/out-of-body

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2021, 02:52:36 am »
That new cave theme sounds like it could be promising, but I don't like it as it is now. It's far too harsh sounding while also being empty sounding. As a proof of concept it works though. I just hope you'll improve upon it.

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2021, 04:33:01 pm »
As an addendum to the previous update, the dungeons are nearing completion too!
Things are coming together quite quickly (though we still aren't sure when it'll be done!)

The static inventory item slots also create a new question: What should the Select + A or B shortcuts do? With that we're open to suggestions! IcePenguin has become master of inventory modding haha

MysticLord, thanks for the links. We're trying to keep the music sounding like classic gameboy Zelda.

Satoshi_Matrix, Actually if harsh yet empty is how a listener would describe it, then it's hit its goal. Harsh, yet empty, and slowly building up tension.
(Don't worry; We're thinking of having a pitch black area, and the music will probably be repurposed for that. The dark caves are the closest we have right now.)

elmontro42

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 22, 2021, 12:27:11 pm »
What's the status on this project?

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 23, 2021, 06:07:23 pm »
The new 8x8 font here is looking fantastic. Can I see all of the characters please?
Sorry for such a late reply, just been busy.  :(  I'm glad that you like it!  This image includes all the alphabet characters.  Not sure if I mentioned this, but on the file creation screen, the limit was expanded to include numbers and some of the more common ascii characters.  I went through many fonts before making this one.  All those other fonts are still in the game data, and we've even considered making an in-game font selection.  We know how much people love the original font...  haha.

Here's a couple images:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

What's the status on this project?

Still going!  We're just bad at updating.   :P  It will be completed eventually, though!

I just hope you'll improve upon it.

This is great advice.  I believe everything, no matter what it is, can be improved upon.  We are constantly changing things in the hack, especially when we find a way to make it better.

StarWolf3000

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 24, 2021, 01:48:34 am »
Seeing the new font, I wonder how difficult it would be to include additional characters/letters for most latin languages, which go beyond the A to Z. The base game has separate builds with additional characters and letters for each language it was translated into.

This just comes to mind for future translations of your hack.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 24, 2021, 04:01:54 pm »
Seeing the new font, I wonder how difficult it would be to include additional characters/letters for most latin languages, which go beyond the A to Z. The base game has separate builds with additional characters and letters for each language it was translated into.

This just comes to mind for future translations of your hack.

Surprisingly, the original game has a lot of free, unused tiles and even some accented characters.  There is plenty of flexibility when adding new ones.  In the hack I made some Hylian characters which are briefly used in a specific text.

How many additional characters are there?  I'm not familiar with other languages.

As for the file creation, it'd be pretty easy to add those in to the available selection.

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #288 on: April 25, 2021, 07:58:07 am »
Somehow I missed that the post about new music in caves. I rather like the concept music as it is, sounds pretty creepy. Really looking forward to this hack. I'm intrigued about what you guys will do with the day/night concept.  :)

plaugish

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 15, 2021, 12:56:24 am »
I'm sorry if this is an annoying question, but would y'all happen to have a demo of this hack? It looks superb.

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 15, 2021, 01:46:27 pm »
is it for GBA?

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 16, 2021, 01:40:28 am »
is it for GBA?
It's for the colour version of Links Awakening, which was for the GBC but had extra features for the GBA.

StarWolf3000

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 16, 2021, 02:04:16 am »
It's for the colour version of Links Awakening, which was for the GBC but had extra features for the GBA.
Huh? I can't remember this game having extra features for the GBA, it was released years before the GBA. You probably mean the Oracle games, which have some extra GBA content.

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 16, 2021, 04:01:12 am »
Surprisingly, the original game has a lot of free, unused tiles and even some accented characters.  There is plenty of flexibility when adding new ones.  In the hack I made some Hylian characters which are briefly used in a specific text.

How many additional characters are there?  I'm not familiar with other languages.

As for the file creation, it'd be pretty easy to add those in to the available selection.

Since I'm working on a Spanish translation for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, I can tell you there are 16 accent letters that are used:

Keep in mind that ü is only used for for around 20 words like "pingüino (penguin)". So it doesn't get used in the translation I'm working on.

It's very important to use accent letters to let the user know what word you are saying like:
- ano (anus)
- año (year)

There is also « » which is the Spanish equivalent of using " " , but this isn't needed in this translation.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 04:07:50 am by RadioTails »

StarWolf3000

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 16, 2021, 05:21:10 am »

Both german releases (monochrome and DX) have umlauts in uppercase and lowercase variants and the sz ligature ß (this is NOT greek letter Beta), for both the name entry and game text.

Umlauts (letters a/A, o/O and u/U with "combining diaeresis"):
ä Ä
ö Ö
ü Ü

sz ligature ("sharp s", often replaced with "ss", old "sz"):
ß

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 18, 2021, 12:06:20 pm »
Huh? I can't remember this game having extra features for the GBA, it was released years before the GBA. You probably mean the Oracle games, which have some extra GBA content.
You might be right. I could swear there was something extra for the GBA. We all know the Oracle games had extra stuff.

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 18, 2021, 01:49:08 pm »
You might be right. I could swear there was something extra for the GBA. We all know the Oracle games had extra stuff.

Only for the GBA games.

Link's Awakening DX was released in 1998.
Oracle of Ages/Seasons + GBA was released almost in 2001 Q1, within 1 month of each other.

erpster2

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 04, 2021, 08:01:30 pm »
I'm sorry if this is an annoying question, but would y'all happen to have a demo of this hack? It looks superb.

@plaugish

I don't think there was a demo nor a beta version of this hack available for download
all of us have to wait patiently for a complete & final version to come out and the OP has not yet revealed to us when this game will be finalized

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 05, 2021, 03:15:51 pm »
Just wanted to make a video showing the new inventory and item swapping.  We talked about the functionality in previous posts, but a video might be better.  The video description explains a bit about some new features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ey7HBG_XR8

We're still not set on a release date, but we hope it's not too much longer!  As new things are added, we try to be as careful as possible so new bugs don't creep in, and we usually test things for quite a while.  Sometimes we're super excited about all the new stuff, we just wanna release it, but we must be thorough!  :)

Also, thank you RadioTails and StarWolf3000 for the info on accented characters!

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #299 on: June 05, 2021, 11:54:25 pm »
As usual, I'm very excited for this rom hack project.

Item swapping while keeping the placement of the items static is SUCH a quality of life improvement.

If at all possible, please make this specific improvement available for the stock game, and maybe even the Oracle duo as well.