News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)  (Read 33507 times)

Drenn

• View Profile
Re: Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2018, 07:03:00 pm »
This hack looks sweet.

I think your new gfx look great. That's partly because I'm highly receptive to anything that looks different in a game I've played to death. But even trying to account for that I think you did a good job. The only thing I'm not 100% sold on is the carpets. Maybe the dithering looks better when the image isn't blown up like that.
Zeldahacking.net: The hub for Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons hacking. We have a discord!

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2018, 10:23:17 pm »
This hack looks sweet.

I think your new gfx look great. That's partly because I'm highly receptive to anything that looks different in a game I've played to death. But even trying to account for that I think you did a good job. The only thing I'm not 100% sold on is the carpets. Maybe the dithering looks better when the image isn't blown up like that.

Thanks for the feedback, Drenn!  Ah yes, that blasted carpet.  I drew many variations of it, but they all started to look the same after a while.  That's what I settled on (for now, haha) because it felt like a rug the most - compared to some others.     I do test my hack on real hardware, and the rug doesn't look too bad on the smaller gameboy screen.  Such a large image definitely makes it look odd.  I dunno.   :-\  The original "stone" flooring doesn't fit well with the new gfx, so I'll keep testing out new ones.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2018, 01:12:14 am »
Most of it looks very nice, but that carpet's a little messy-looking and I feel like the wooden floor could do without the black lines.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2018, 02:38:07 am »
Most of it looks very nice, but that carpet's a little messy-looking and I feel like the wooden floor could do without the black lines.

Thank you for the suggestions, Midna!  Here is a comparison screen to see what it might look like without the black lines in the wooden floor.  After seeing the difference myself, I'm inclined to agree with you.  They just added extra noise to the room it seems. I did like how the black line gave them a bit more depth, though.   :-\  Also, I was just messing around with the original "stone" tiles to see how it'd look if they weren't pink.  Kinda has a cabin/cobblestone feel to it.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2018, 03:36:33 am »
They do add depth, but the Game Boy Zelda games usually only use black outlines for solid objects. When you're on as tiny a screen as the Game Boy's (and remember that Link's Awakening was designed for the original black and white model first), visual clarity is extremely important.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2018, 06:13:42 pm »
They do add depth, but the Game Boy Zelda games usually only use black outlines for solid objects. When you're on as tiny a screen as the Game Boy's (and remember that Link's Awakening was designed for the original black and white model first), visual clarity is extremely important.

That's great advice.  It's not something I really thought of before, but I will keep it in mind when moving forward with drawing new stuff.  When drawing anything, I always use a ton of reference to see how things were done in the original game, and even in the Oracle games.  I also test it regularly on a Gameboy, so I'm always checking to see if things look okay on the smaller screen. 

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2018, 03:59:58 pm »
This is looking more and more exciting with each new update! It's gonna be an amazing experience. I can't wait!

Like Midna, I wonder what the blue ring does.
The new rupee scheme reminds me of the Oracle games. Very cool.

I like the graphic tweaks you made to the treasure chest btw.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2018, 10:44:03 pm »
This is looking more and more exciting with each new update! It's gonna be an amazing experience. I can't wait!

Like Midna, I wonder what the blue ring does.
The new rupee scheme reminds me of the Oracle games. Very cool.

I like the graphic tweaks you made to the treasure chest btw.

Thank you, njosro!  I was very excited to implement more rupees since the original game was quite lacking in the respect.  I've added them to the enemy drop tables with varying degrees of rarity.  Rupees in the game will play a pretty big role.  Spend wisely in the new shop!  ;)

Also...

Exodus

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2018, 10:14:57 am »
Is this a Korok from Wind Waker? :o
Did you build the sprites and model yourself? This is awesome.
Seriously can't wait for this. Signed up, just to answer this thread.
BTW are you planning to include stuff from the oracle games games like the level 2 feather, the goron sword or the mermaid suit? That would be pretty cool.
Thanks for your outstanding work.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2018, 04:46:37 pm »
It's a reference to hidden Koroks from Breath of the Wild.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2018, 10:03:39 pm »
Did you build the sprites and model yourself? This is awesome.
Seriously can't wait for this. Signed up, just to answer this thread.
BTW are you planning to include stuff from the oracle games games like the level 2 feather, the goron sword or the mermaid suit? That would be pretty cool.
Thanks for your outstanding work.

Welcome to RHDN, Exodus!  As Jeville stated, the korok is a reference to Breath of the Wild's hidden koroks.  Well, his text is anyway.  He looks more like Makar from Wind Waker than any korok from BotW.  Also, he does play a role in a side quest and not just for show.  I made the sprites myself, so I'm quite proud of the little guy.  Haha.  :P

There will be new items, but not many from the Oracle games.  There's at least one from those games, but the others are completely new.  The Goron sword won't be in, but there are more sword upgrades to look forward to.  I don't wanna reveal too much.  Trying to leave most things a surprise.   I will say I have experimented with a level 2 feather...  ;)

Exodus

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2018, 08:21:50 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome IcePenguin.
Never played Breath of the Wild unfortunately, sometime when the switch is affordable i hope to get the chance.
Pretty awesome stuff with the new sprites, keeping the style of the original.
It's actually good not to tell too much stuff about the game and let us explore the world on the one hand, but on the other hand I am thirsty for updates  ;D
Considering that you are already over 90 percent done I hope to get my hands on it soon. :woot!:
Thanks for the updates and your work.

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2018, 12:55:38 pm »
Please finish this! This is the hack we all need for Link's Awakening!!!

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2018, 02:41:29 am »
It will be finished!   8)

Small update:

In the original Link's Awakening, the gfx tilesets for dungeons were very limited.  Between dungeons, there were only 3 unique tilesets used, and a couple more for other areas.  (caves, houses, etc.)  In short, it was surprisingly limited.

That's changed!  I've expanded the gfx data to allow a lot more variety so now each area can have its own unique look.  Yay!  There is also room for more variety of objects and stuff to make areas feel interesting.  I shall do my best to give the game new life.   :thumbsup:  And as a small tease, I can't wait to show you Link's island.  (everything shown thus far is on Marin's island)

Here's a screenshot of Dungeon 1:

Exodus

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2018, 11:43:39 am »
Looks very good icepenguin.
The new walls add a whole new level of depth to the look of the rooms.
Really looking forward to see links island. Stop teasing me ;D
So what do you have in mind? Will the whole game and the map be split into two and after half the game the characters are switched or will there be swapping between characters?
In one of the pictures with Marin I saw there were only 4 instruments to be found, does that mean there are four instruments for each of the characters?

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2018, 12:23:06 pm »
Are the dungeons going to be the same, edited versions or completely original?
So far everything looks amazing. It might be worth seeing if you can lift anything from Oracle of Ages/Seasons also

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2018, 12:54:40 pm »
It might be worth seeing if you can lift anything from Oracle of Ages/Seasons also

I know the torches are from there. I want to say the walls are too.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2018, 03:54:50 pm »
In one of the pictures with Marin I saw there were only 4 instruments to be found, does that mean there are four instruments for each of the characters?
The screenshot only showed 4 instruments because the sub-menu was open, covering up the other four.  I don't wanna say too much about that, so you'll just have to wait 'n see!  It's nothing as complex as you suggested, but I think my current plan will feel... familiar.   :laugh:

Are the dungeons going to be the same, edited versions or completely original?
So far everything looks amazing. It might be worth seeing if you can lift anything from Oracle of Ages/Seasons also

All dungeons and areas are completely original.  There have been some gfx used from the Oracle games, and maybe even stuff (not gfx related) I don't want to reveal just yet.  ;)  As Midna pointed out, the torches are from there, as well as the walls.  So far, however, most things I've used from the Oracle games have been modified in some way.  For example, a lot of the wall designs in the Oracle games contained oddities that you'd never know about unless you studied them and drew them.  So things like that have been re-drawn to look better, or to fit within the bounds of how much new space there is.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2018, 01:06:53 am »
Awesome! I was hoping you'd say that. Now i'm really excited :D

Exodus

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2018, 02:02:17 pm »
Sounds very good. Really excited to play soon. ;D
I think it will be very cool to see the style mix between the oracle games and links awakening.
BTW will you be adding a higher number of maximum hearts and more heart containers?
It would be great to have opportunities added to spend more time with the game as the original game was relatively short, finished it in about 4 hours when I replayed it recently.
When I first played it as a kid back in the day it seemed much more expanded in size  :o