Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)

Started by IcePenguin, June 01, 2016, 08:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexluthermiester

Quote from: IcePenguin on June 05, 2021, 03:15:51 PM
Just wanted to make a video showing the new inventory and item swapping.  We talked about the functionality in previous posts, but a video might be better.  The video description explains a bit about some new features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ey7HBG_XR8

We're still not set on a release date, but we hope it's not too much longer!  As new things are added, we try to be as careful as possible so new bugs don't creep in, and we usually test things for quite a while.  Sometimes we're super excited about all the new stuff, we just wanna release it, but we must be thorough!  :)

Also, thank you RadioTails and StarWolf3000 for the info on accented characters!
Cool feature set! I like it!

IcePenguin

Thank you for the comments.  :)

@Satoshi_Matrix; It would be really cool to add static items and item swapping to the original game.  Maybe one day I'll get around to porting it over.  (as well as the passive bracelet!)

Speaking of the bracelet, decided to make a video about it.  The collision mechanics of the game had to be reworked to get it to work properly, and now the game detects if you are touching an object that can be picked up or not.  This prevents a lot of frustration when grabbing things you don't need to.

Also, all sprite-based objects, such as enemies, have a new, additional collision detection to prevent simultaneous item use.  For example, if you had the powder equipped it would waste a powder when picking it up.  With the new system this isn't an issue.

Here is a video showing it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxbqq4hYUWA

StarWolf3000

Quote from: IcePenguin on June 07, 2021, 04:37:35 PM
Speaking of the bracelet, decided to make a video about it.  The collision mechanics of the game had to be reworked to get it to work properly, and now the game detects if you are touching an object that can be picked up or not.  This prevents a lot of frustration when grabbing things you don't need to.
What about such switches you have to pull (like the one in Lv7 Eagle's Tower in the room with the ball to carry around)?

IcePenguin

Quote from: StarWolf3000 on June 08, 2021, 12:29:48 AM
What about such switches you have to pull (like the one in Lv7 Eagle's Tower in the room with the ball to carry around)?

It works on those, too.  Each grab-able object has its own code for interaction with the bracelet, so it had to be updated on a case-by-case basis.  Luckily there aren't too many things that interact with the bracelet.  I think this is all of em... (these are the sprite-based objects, not background objects like bushes/rocks)

Wall lever
Steel ball
Elephant statue
Flying rooster
Color dungeon beetle

plaugish

How has this project been going? I'd still love to play this someday!

lexluthermiester

Quote from: plaugish on November 14, 2021, 09:26:27 PM
How has this project been going? I'd still love to play this someday!
It's progressing. Projects as involved as this take time. Be patient, it'll get there.

IcePenguin

Hey!  The project is still going well.  :)  We always try to work on something so it's making steady progress.  Some tasks can be more involved than others, but so far everything has gone quite smoothly - even with the more technical coding stuff.  (knock on wood!)  Here is a screenshot of the "Sage's Tomb" dungeon.  It previews a new element of the HUD which displays the number of keys you've collected.  The gfx tile is the same one from the Oracle games.

StarWolf3000

Looks nice so far, but this HUD layout makes me curious on how you're going to display more than 10 hearts.

IcePenguin

That's a good question.  We revamped the heart animation routine to make it smoother and work with the new layout.  Displaying 20 hearts total, with two rows, used way too much screen real estate.  (especially on the tiny gameboy screen)  There wasn't room for the rupee counter or anything else new for that matter.  With the new bar, we've created an overlay animation.  Any heart after 10 overlays a previous full heart.  11 overlays 1, 12 and 2, etc.  The overlay hearts will be a lighter color so it's easy to see your hearts from 11-20.

MysticLord

You could display quarter hearts, to fit more info in less screen space. Or a number/bar next to a heart icon, though I'm sure purists will complain about that.

lexluthermiester

Quote from: IcePenguin on November 17, 2021, 03:01:23 PM
Hey!  The project is still going well.  :)  We always try to work on something so it's making steady progress.  Some tasks can be more involved than others, but so far everything has gone quite smoothly - even with the more technical coding stuff.  (knock on wood!)  Here is a screenshot of the "Sage's Tomb" dungeon.  It previews a new element of the HUD which displays the number of keys you've collected.  The gfx tile is the same one from the Oracle games.

With that screenshot as an example, I would offer a suggestion to reverse the colour scheme of the stats bar at the bottom of the screen to have a black background and the text a light color with the GFX adjusted accordingly. This will be easier on the eyes and generally have a better look. Example as follows;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zroxlyh6t0ml0wl/1hPGktF-02.png?dl=0
It's just a little touch, but I think it would be an improvement.

StarWolf3000

Quote from: MysticLord on November 18, 2021, 06:32:02 PM
You could display quarter hearts, to fit more info in less screen space. Or a number/bar next to a heart icon, though I'm sure purists will complain about that.
Quarter hearts would only partially solve this, because when you get a heart container, you will receive a full heart, and it would look really strange if you have only half a heart available on screen for an odd number of hearts.

Example: Imagine quarter hearts are used that function like half a heart. If you have 3 full hearts displayed, that would equal to having 6 hearts in the regular game. If you defeat a boss and receive another container, it would display 4 hearts, but the second half of the 4th could not be filled (equals 7 hearts in regular game).

MysticLord

Change the amount of health that a heart and each fraction thereof represents.

IcePenguin

That's an interesting idea with the hearts.  It'd be like compressing health into a smaller container!  I like it, but as StarWolf said, it'd cause some issues.  The current overlay animation works pretty well, so we will just keep it as is.  If you remember in Ocarina of Time, when you get the upgrade to your life the heart gfx have a bright outline to them.  It's the same idea but for the whole heart, and it's very easy to differentiate between the two.

lexluthermiester, that mock-up of the HUD looks great!  I've never liked the yellow hue of the HUD and have tried doing experiments with it in the past, but I never thought to make it all black!  Some elements would have to be re-worked, though, like the white outline of items.  That doesn't look quite right.  Overall, though, I agree that the black does look better.  If I can redraw items/inventory elements in such a way that they look good against a black background, then it may happen.  Thanks for the idea!   :thumbsup:

Satoshi_Matrix

The problem with an all-black HUD is visibility on original hardware. Hacks of this caliber beg to be experienced as authentically as possible and for me that means the reflective tilt non backlit screen of the original GBC hardware from 1998. Using light colors and filling in objects with darker colors is needed for the DMG and also GBC, and even GBA.

The only way I would suggest going with an all-black HUD is if you added it simply as an option for people who want to play on emulator where such things don't matter. For them, make it optional; otherwise continue with the design you have planned.

ifightdragons

Quote from: Satoshi_Matrix on November 20, 2021, 04:26:08 AM
The problem with an all-black HUD is visibility on original hardware. Hacks of this caliber beg to be experienced as authentically as possible and for me that means the reflective tilt non backlit screen of the original GBC hardware from 1998. Using light colors and filling in objects with darker colors is needed for the DMG and also GBC, and even GBA.

The only way I would suggest going with an all-black HUD is if you added it simply as an option for people who want to play on emulator where such things don't matter. For them, make it optional; otherwise continue with the design you have planned.

One hundred percent agreed. Quality hacks - such as this - are better off being optimized for original hardware, with perhaps the added options for those preferring emulators.

lexluthermiester

Quote from: IcePenguin on November 19, 2021, 03:23:44 PM
lexluthermiester, that mock-up of the HUD looks great!  I've never liked the yellow hue of the HUD and have tried doing experiments with it in the past, but I never thought to make it all black!  Some elements would have to be re-worked, though, like the white outline of items.  That doesn't look quite right.  Overall, though, I agree that the black does look better.  If I can redraw items/inventory elements in such a way that they look good against a black background, then it may happen.  Thanks for the idea!   :thumbsup:
No worries. If it's easy to rework, then bonus round! If not, it's not the end of the world. Seemed worth suggesting as a quality-of-life thing.

IcePenguin

Satoshi_Matrix and ifightdragons, thank you for the great advice!  I actually do test the game on my original gameboy color to make sure things look good graphically on the small screen.  Everything is good so far!  ;)  I'll do some experiments with a dark/light HUD toggle setting, but can't make any promises, yet.  There are other higher priority items that need to be done still.

Here is another video.  This is a simple preview of exploring.  It does show new things, though.  A big one is the item shortcuts.  Previously, we implemented item cycling.  It was cool at first, but we realized that when you obtain more and more items, it kinda becomes frustrating to use.  Now it functions as a shortcut feature!  You can save one item per slot.  It's super quick and easy to use.  (it's shown at 2:10 in the video)

Video:

https://youtu.be/WGDecErz_3Q

Satoshi_Matrix

This hack is continually looking great. How much of it have you done so far? What's still yet to be done?

plaugish

Honest to God I would donate money to this if I could. This legit looks incredible.