News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)  (Read 41055 times)

njosro

• View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda - Nightmares of Koholint Island (update thread)
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 11:48:52 am »
Should I refrain from making edits to the original level design?  There are a couple areas in dungeons I feel could use some slight adjustments, to prevent skipping ahead, or to prevent exploiting clipping glitches.  I've made a few already, but I don't want to change it TOO much.  Any feedback on this would most helpful!  :)

I say go for it. The whole point of playing a hero mode is to play the game legitimately. How can a player call themself a hero if they go and take shortcuts? :P ...although stealing was always fun. Does that count as skipping ahead?
When I play (attempt?) your hero mode it'll be neat to see those slight mods.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 03:24:20 pm »
I don't get why so many people are opposed to the idea of playing as Marin. What's the big deal?

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 04:33:02 pm »
I don't get why so many people are opposed to the idea of playing as Marin. What's the big deal?

Not playing as Link in a Legend of Zelda game is like you're not even playing a Legend of Zelda game.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 06:15:20 pm »

People squirm in the face of change and non-conformity.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Made in China

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 06:30:06 pm »
It's his hack, his own artistic vision. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Of course, everything should be open to criticism - but since we haven't even tried it, don't know the context for it and the execution - it just seems redundant to criticize it.

Also, this isn't a new concept, even in the Legend of Zelda series: http://zeldawiki.org/Playable_Secondary_Characters

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 07:32:29 pm »
It's his hack, his own artistic vision. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Of course, everything should be open to criticism - but since we haven't even tried it, don't know the context for it and the execution - it just seems redundant to criticize it.

Also, this isn't a new concept, even in the Legend of Zelda series: http://zeldawiki.org/Playable_Secondary_Characters

None of those replace Link as the main playable character and are only temporarily controllable.

It doesn't really matter to me who the playable character is. Could be Mario or Pikachu for all I care. 

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 09:18:09 pm »
Really looking forward to this, although I too will not be playing on the difficult mode. Too many rom hacks focus on making games absurdly tough for some reason. I just want a new Zelda adventure with a new overworld and new, well designed dungeons. There's a Zelda DX Master Quest hack out there already that's completely garbage as it's nearly impossible to play, even with the aid of savestates because the puzzles require clipping and abusing the game engine. Please don't do anything like that.
Is it my hack? I have no qualms with anyone calling it garbage (I don't like some stuff in retrospect), but I don't know the clipping you're referring to. It doesn't require a glitch to beat and I had some people assuming they were supposed to jump four pits across when they shouldn't (i.e. the trip to Kanalet Castle). Really wish I've made a video guide, but anyone can shoot me a PM if they are having trouble; I don't want to derail the thread with this.

I don't mind Marin being playable. Richard is another good candidate, but it does require more sprite work.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 01:48:23 am »
The reason why I don't really want to play as Marin is because I don't think she is that interesting of a character.  She played her part in Link's Awakening, and from what she was like in LA, she doesn't strike me as the type to go out on her own, on an adventure like Link would.

It's not that big of a deal though I suppose.  It is a different kind of change, and I like all of the other changes that were listed.  I'd still play the hack.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2016, 10:06:07 am »
You said that you moved the heart containers. Did you use ASM hacking to move them?

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2016, 11:38:27 am »

I see what you did there.

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2016, 08:54:27 pm »
First, I just want to say that... Who said you couldn't play as Link?  Haha.  :P  This hack originally started with Link as the playable character.  So there is a complete story done for Link.  I'm still working on Marin's story.  After getting Marin to work, which was painfully hard to do without causing glitches, I started planning a story for her.  Link's story, or Marin's story.  The "What's New" list is just the things I've completed.  There are still some things I need to finish.  ;)

How many years has this hack been in production?

And if you don't mind me asking, what emulator/debugger did you use to help you ASM hack this game?

I was thinking about hacking this game as well.  I'd love to get rid of the introduction scene where Link wakes up with Marin and Tarin over him.
I've been working on this hack for almost 3 years now.  On and off of course, but over that time I've put a lot of work into this.  :)  The emulator I use is Visual Boy Advance.  It has some nice tools in it, that help a lot with finding data.  I never used a debugger, though.  Almost all of my modifications were done purely with a hex editor (HxD), and an assembly reference guide.  (to remember all those opcodes)

You said that you moved the heart containers. Did you use ASM hacking to move them?

It took some modifying of the boss code to remove them, yes.  It's not too technical or anything.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2016, 09:28:31 pm »
It took some modifying of the boss code to remove them, yes.  It's not too technical or anything.
I ask this because apparently @gamerdudesteel can't/won't move the heartpieces on his Oracle of Secrets hack. I already asked him (through PM) if he tried ASM hacking to move them.

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2016, 11:35:08 pm »
I ask this because apparently @gamerdudesteel can't/won't move the heartpieces on his Oracle of Secrets hack. I already asked him (through PM) if he tried ASM hacking to move them.

I bet the same format is used in Ages/Seasons as it is in Link's Awakening.  Funny enough, I never looked, and
I was one of the pioneer hackers for all three zelda GBC games.  It actually makes sense for the game to tally containers this way since it requires no other flags except those that have already been used in the game.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2016, 02:38:01 am »
Oh you mean the heart pieces?  As Jigglysaint said, I'm sure they work the same way between all 3 games.  When I first started this project I too had the issue of heart pieces not saving correctly if I added new ones, or moved existing ones.  I will look at my notes to see how I fixed it.  (it's been a while, I forgot haha)  If I remember correctly, it was just a simple pointer issue.

June 09, 2016, 06:14:58 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update:  I fixed the Level 8 entrance boss.  In the original game you could run through its head during the revival animation and enter the dungeon without even fighting it.  I made a video to show what happens now, if you try to do that.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhv2EgBeCA8
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:14:58 pm by the_icepenguin »

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2016, 01:12:18 am »
With the release of Marin in Hyrule Warriors...it seems this character can actually put up a fight.

So I see no problem really.

Doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2016, 11:09:15 pm »
- No more annoying text from objects when you touch them.
As a lifelong fan of Link's Awakening, this has me interested the most. Can you post documentation / a patch / ASM / whatever for just this? Here is some Lua code I worked on for the feature. My problem is knowing nothing about Game Boy and very little about programming, so I couldn't make it into a patch.

Code: [Select]
--Special case for heavy rocks
memory.writebyte(0xC5A6, 0x01)

And for skipping the piece of power / guardian acorn text (buggy):

Code: [Select]
--Skip text for acorns and pieces of power-------------------------------------------------
skip_text_toggle=0
--The following function is what actually skips the text. The rest is to control *when* text is skipped.
function skip_text(pvar)
if skip_text_toggle==1 then
memory.writebyte(0xC19F, 0x00)
end
end

--Known bug: Picking up two identical powerups in a row without having a break of
--no powers in-between the two pickups causes the second one to still bring up the
--text box. (Press A or B to close it.)
framecounter_power=0
framecounter_acorn=0
function skip_some_text (pvar)
--Special case for heavy rocks
memory.writebyte(0xC5A6, 0x01)
skip_text(0)
--Piece of Power
if memory.readbyte(0xD47C)==1 then
--Reset the framecounter for the inactive powerup, in case the player
--gets the other powerup type before the current powerup wears off.
framecounter_acorn=0
if framecounter_power <=100 then
skip_text_toggle=1
framecounter_power=framecounter_power+1
else
skip_text_toggle=0
end
end
--Guardian Acorn
if memory.readbyte(0xD47C)==2 then
--Reset the framecounter for the inactive powerup, in case the player
--gets the other powerup type before the current powerup wears off.
framecounter_power=0
if framecounter_acorn<=100 then
skip_text_toggle=1
framecounter_acorn=framecounter_acorn+1
else
skip_text_toggle=0
end
end
--Neither
if memory.readbyte(0xD47C)==0 then
framecounter_power=0
framecounter_acorn=0
end
end

I haven't tested it in 2 years, so it might not work. I believe I used VBA-rr back then.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2016, 04:11:05 pm »
Amazing!

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2016, 07:20:56 pm »
Just wanted to make a small update.  I still work on this when I can, but I'm not very good at updating, haha.  Recently some progress has been made with Dungeon 7.  As the holidays approach I will have a lot more free time.  :)

Here are a couple screenshots that show some new things.

4/5 heart pieces:

Ring for sale in shop:

As a lifelong fan of Link's Awakening, this has me interested the most. Can you post documentation / a patch / ASM / whatever for just this?
I plan to release all my documentation when I release the hack.  :)  It is quite extensive, and I hope others will find it useful!

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 08:26:50 pm »
I see the shop has taken some anti-shoplifting measures since the last time.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2016, 11:49:45 pm »
I see the shop has taken some anti-shoplifting measures since the last time.
Yeah, that ring is quite valuable.  Shopkeeper doesn't take chances.  :P