News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)  (Read 41060 times)

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda - Link's Awakening Hack WIP (update thread)
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2019, 01:54:33 pm »
Thank you for all your input guys!  I'm still at it, working on the HUD.

Unfortunately, I gotta say option 2 is out.  During all my testing, I forgot to go into a dungeon and didn't realize the dungeon map would cover up the rupee counter.  Silly oversight, indeed, and my apologies for the mistake.   :-[

Alternatively, why have a rupee counter in the item menu at all?
Rupees are only relevant inside shops and you already have a rupee counter in your HUD.
There's no reason to see them in the item menu that I can remember.

Well, the HUD you see while walking around is what I'm trying to make nicer.  Having 20 hearts, a rupee counter, Slot B and Slot A, makes it feel cluttered.  With only 1 tiles worth of space remaining, there isn't much room for layout improvement.

So that's why I'm considering removing the rupee counter from the HUD, and having it in the inventory screen only.  My thought was similar to what you and retroverse said,  that there isn't much need for the rupee counter to be available at all times.  With it gone from the HUD, it's more aesthetically pleasing, but you'll have to open the inventory screen to check your rupees.  My hope is that this doesn't become a hassle.

There is still room for improvement, so all feedback on this will help immensely!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2019, 05:28:36 pm »
Ah. I partially misunderstood. I don't suppose having a sprite based rupee counter that only pops up in shops and when you gain rupees is an option?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:18:23 pm by Vanya »

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2019, 09:01:30 pm »
Ah. I partially misunderstood. I don't suppose having a sprite based rupee counter that only pops up in shops and when you gain rupees is an option?

That would be pretty cool.  If I can find a clean way to implement that I totally will.  I have attempted to extend the visible boundary so the HUD would overlap with the world, instead of being in its own little white border.  Lots of issues, of course, but it'd be nice to have a HUD similar to ALttP.

Maybe one day!  :P

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2019, 10:42:26 am »
To me, it would be option 2.