News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Mario 64 US & Shindou Edition Hacking  (Read 4357 times)

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Mario 64 US & Shindou Edition Hacking
« on: May 28, 2016, 06:13:51 pm »
Okay, Im probably out of my depth here since Im still technically learning NES hacking, but why the hell not :)

On request from Triforce89 over in hack ideas I've decided to have a go at hacking the Shindou Rumble effects into the US version of the game as well as adding a new secret post game world and easter eggs.

First of all both roms are the same size, so far so good.
Then I ran a compare using windhex, not good, radically different so far as I can tell, so no just cutting and pasting shit in there.

So any suggestions? I figure I need a debugger but I don't know what to get or how to debug an n64 rom really.

Edit: Sorry about dumping this in Programming, probably should've gone in discussion instead :P
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:08:34 pm by SleepyFist »

Zoinkity

• View Profile
Re: Mario 64 US & Shindou Edition Hacking
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 08:55:00 am »
It would be easier to translate shindou than attempt to add rumble into the previous versions.

Besides the rumble pak support (which is part of a later generation of controller library), across the board it was built with later versions of the libraries and toolkit.  Even the music engine was updated.
Shoehorning in rumble code isn't enough anyway.  You need to add in the event triggers as well.

Nemu and MAME both have full debuggers built-in.  You can also build debug versions of others from source, though their completeness is questionable.  Other emulators require using an external (in other words general) debugger, of course.

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 04:23:10 am »
I agree with Zoinkity, you're better off hacking the Shindou version by changing the text to English than trying to add the rumble feature to the previous versions. Especially the Shindou version fixed several bugs that plagued the previous versions, it's pretty much the best version of the game on the console.

You should do the same thing to the Shindou version of Wave Race 64, they fixed several bugs and they also made some of the music tracks sound better in that version as well.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 12:08:22 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys, after Mario 64 Ill have a go at Waverace too :thumbsup:

Nemu and MAME both have full debuggers built-in.  You can also build debug versions of others from source, though their completeness is questionable.  Other emulators require using an external (in other words general) debugger, of course.

I... Didn't actually know that MAME could emulate n64, and I haven't tried Nemu yet.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 07:53:53 pm »
I... Didn't actually know that MAME could emulate n64
Technically it's MESS, but MESS was integrated into MAME last year.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 05:48:12 pm »
Well Nemu is being a buggy mess right now so I figured I would try MAME, problem is I can't work out how to get it to load n64 roms,
I kinda jammed this .bat together.

@echo off
start C:\Users\ME\Desktop\projects\SM64+\MAME\MAME64 n64 -cart "C:\Users\ME\Desktop\projects\SM64+\MAME\roms\SM64.n64"

MAME starts, Loads ROM, and then immediately exits with no hint as to what I've bungled, do I need N64 BIOS of some kind?.
Ive also run into a hang-up in the Cheat Engine tutorial but I'm gonna go ahead what knowledge I've currently got with it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 11:50:38 am by SleepyFist »