News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Why isn't fceux's breakpoint to certain banks working?  (Read 2266 times)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
Why isn't fceux's breakpoint to certain banks working?
« on: May 22, 2016, 03:59:57 pm »
The only breakpoints that are working are to banks #00, #06 and #07 (super pitfall ROM).

When I create a breakpoint for read + write and executes to 0000-FFFF with condition K==#05 it never breaks.

For testing, I have tried setting 3 forbids for 0000-FFFF RWE to banks #00, #06 and #07 and then setting a breakpoint to any bank with all addresses also for RWE but it never breaks. It will only break on banks 0, 6 and 7... What am I missing here?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:13:35 pm by nesrocks »

jonk

• View Profile
Re: Why isn't fceux's breakpoint to bank 5 working?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 04:50:35 pm »
I haven't used fceux, yet. (Still stuck with bsnes-plus, right now, for SNES stuff.) I'll be interested to hear what others offer you, here.
An equal right to an opinion isn't a right to an equal opinion. -- 1995, me
Saying religion is the source of morality is like saying a squirrel is the source of acorns.  -- 2002, me

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
Re: Why isn't fceux's breakpoint to certain banks working?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 07:29:11 pm »
I have asked about this on nesdev.com

User hackfresh has pointed out that fceux's bank condition only applies to the bank the code is being executed from. In super pitfall, the code to read bank 5 is in bank 7. So I have really to set a generic read break to the address I want and keep hitting run until it reads from the bank I want. I feel like fceux could also check the bank its being read from and break if my condition is met. Maybe something to suggest to the devs?

jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 07:49:00 pm »
I have asked about this on nesdev.com

User hackfresh has pointed out that fceux's bank condition only applies to the bank the code is being executed from. In super pitfall, the code to read bank 5 is in bank 7. So I have really to set a generic read break to the address I want and keep hitting run until it reads from the bank I want. I feel like fceux could also check the bank its being read from and break if my condition is met. Maybe something to suggest to the devs?
Hmm. Yes. That does sound very easy to add. At least, if you ignore dealing with the user interface anyway. The user interface changes would probably be the worst part of it, unless you can work out how to use the existing interface without changing it yet also providing this new functionality.
An equal right to an opinion isn't a right to an equal opinion. -- 1995, me
Saying religion is the source of morality is like saying a squirrel is the source of acorns.  -- 2002, me

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 08:53:18 pm »
I feel like fceux could also check the bank its being read from and break if my condition is met.

As I mentioned in your other thread, it already can.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 09:05:02 pm »
Thank you so much. That shows how people who are learning sometimes miss information. I didn't really get what PC was when I read that document (now I do). I just learned about using the K condition from reading some thread in a forum (it was probably on nesdev). Now I can proceed with my hack, thanks.  :thumbsup:

I should probably learn how to use the other conditions as well. It seems like it can be very useful.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 09:21:28 pm by nesrocks »