News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Kaettekita Mario Bros.  (Read 4676 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Kaettekita Mario Bros.
« on: May 19, 2016, 08:59:51 pm »

Update By: mrrichard999

Here is an announcement that Kaettekita Mario Bros. for the FDS has been translated to English!

This originally was a small upgrade to the original Mario Bros. Kaettekita Mario Bros. (Also known as Return of the Mario Bros.) was one of the few Famicom Disk System games available exclusively from the Famicom Disk Writer and not sold separately. In Kaettekita Mario Bros., Mario and Luigi gained the ability to change direction slightly in mid-air, and the graphics were tweaked to look more like the arcade version. Taking advantage of its disk format, the game let you register your name and saved the top five high scores.

Kaettekita Mario Bros. appears to have been sponsored by Nagatanien, a Japanese food company. After selecting the number of players, the game displayed one of three short cut-scene advertisements for Nagatanien products, including one for Super Mario Bros. 3 furikake (dried food sprinkled over rice). The first time you lose all your lives in the “Nagatanien World” mode, you play a slot machine for the chance to continue where you left off with all your points; match two Marios or Luigis for one extra life, three Marios or Luigis for two extra lives, or spell out Naga-tani-en for a whopping four extra lives.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Shugo

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Kaettekita Mario Bros.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 11:00:38 pm »
Thanks for this, I thought I was the only person who even knew this version of Mario Bros. existed. I was thinking of doing this same project myself, but well... I didn't. So you win, lol.

Until the day when we can get a 60hz conversion for the Euro "Classic Series" Mario Bros., this is the best NTSC version you can play.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 03:59:23 am »
Holy writable media, Batman!

I had no idea this existed. I'll take a look at this later!
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

jincman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 09:32:46 am »
I can't get this ROM to patch with this translation. I'm using the listed version.

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:48:03 am »
I can't get this ROM to patch with this translation. I'm using the listed version.
What patching program are you using?

jincman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 11:54:50 am »
MultiPatch 1.5.

I'll try another.

J

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 12:01:36 pm »
MultiPatch 1.5.

I'll try another.

J
I believe beat was used to make the patch.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 02:51:53 pm »
I'm getting the same problem with FLIPS.  Weird, both that and MultiPatch have never failed me before.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 02:54:18 pm »
I used the BPS patch so it matches the correct ROM image, there a lot of bad ones and altered ones floating around.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 03:10:21 pm »
Ah ha, I finally got it!

I can confirm it's working on all 3 patchers.  mrrichard is right in that there are a LOT of copies of this one.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 01:54:25 am »
The problem with using beat (or any patch with checksum verification) on an FDS game is that, depending on your emulator, save data might be written back to the "ROM", as is the case with actual used FDS disks.
Not sure what the most current version of FCEUX (or variation) does but I've used a very old version of FCEU deliberately that did overwrite the ROM so that I could test translations without losing saves. Later versions would take a checksum hash or something of the ROM and link it to an automatically-created duplicate copy in the saves folder (with the dupe used for writing updated save data). Which is great if you're playing a game that isn't going to change, not great if you're making a hack (which means every change is going to result in a new "save" copy of the ROM).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 02:02:58 am »
I used the BPS patch so it matches the correct ROM image, there a lot of bad ones and altered ones floating around.

Can't you edit away the blue on the text title and move a pixel upward?

Proveaux

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 04:39:20 pm »
Can't you edit away the blue on the text title and move a pixel upward?

0522161625.zip

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 03:46:08 am »
Patch has been updated to use Proveauxs title screen fixes and some dialogue fixes on the slot machine part.

If anyone is having issues where the screen garbles, try using FCEUX as that has been working fine so far. I have heard of screen garbles from usage of other emulators so just wanted to point that out.

Also if for some reason you patch the new ROM and you still get the blue letters on the title screen (if using FCEUX), check your save directory as a saved image might be going off that. You can delete that file in the save directory and should have no problem.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:10:58 pm by mrrichard999 »

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 09:12:06 pm »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:25:55 pm by FCandChill »