News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Communist Mario 3 Released!  (Read 7543 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Communist Mario 3 Released!
« on: April 01, 2016, 12:52:34 am »

Update By: KP9000

Communist Mario 3 is a hack of Super Mario Bros. 3, which was started about a year ago. Inspiration came from setz, author of another hack here on RHDN. He made Communist Mario, a hack of SMB1. It can be reached here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2365/

In this hack, players journey as Comrade Mario in a quest to extinguish capitalism that is threatening Mother Russia and the USSR. The major gameplay change is that avoiding coins is key, since they hurt Comrade Mario. All the levels have received some form of facelift, but remain mostly unchanged as far as layout goes.

Another major change is the technical modifications that allowed for a deeper implementation of the theme and style. The original ROM had 4 frames of animation. This hack uses 16 frames of animation, all animating in the same amount of time as the original 4!

Each world map has also received some change: they all have their own graphics page! This allows for much more flexibility in designing a rich, visual environment than you could with the original setup.

A few more minor things have been done to improve and speed up the flow of the game: No game overs, faster text type speed, very little "disabled controls" time (in mushroom houses), and no goal cards- the level just ends.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Communist Mario 3 Released!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 01:25:13 am »
The box art for this is amazing, and sadly wasn't submitted to the site:

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 01:31:09 am »
LMAO That really is awesome.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

KP9000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 10:03:29 am »
Thanks for posting that, Disch! I do plan to make a couple cartridges for this hack. When I'm done I'll see if I can remember to dig up this thread and post reaults. If anyone else is interested in getting a cartridge, let me know.

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 11:44:27 am »
Would be more effective if Mario == Putin.
A good slave does not realize he is one; the best slave will not accept that he has become one.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 02:33:32 pm »
Would be more effective if Mario == Putin.

Putin isn't a communist.

Also digging the box art/manual, nicely done.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 05:29:47 pm »
When I'm done I'll see if I can remember to dig up this thread and post reaults. If anyone else is interested in getting a cartridge, let me know.

Consider yourself letted knowed.

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 10:05:17 pm »
Putin isn't a communist.

My Russian friend who is afraid to talk to me about her government over Facebook thinks that's debatable. Still, don't want to make this a politics thread so I won't press.

Definitely gonna play this hack.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:15:54 pm by zonk47 »
A good slave does not realize he is one; the best slave will not accept that he has become one.

DeathByBFG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 06:40:33 pm »
I'm definitely interested in getting a cartridge of this.  What are the details?

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 06:54:41 pm »
The box art for this is amazing, and sadly wasn't submitted to the site:

Oh, now I want to see an All-Stars hack including this cover art, and maybe that Super Stalin SMB1 hack
(but what could a Soviet-themed SMB2's plot look like?)

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 07:40:09 pm »
Why not a Soviet Mario RPG...? (like a hack of Final Fantasy or something)

DeathByBFG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 10:31:52 pm »
If anyone is interested I have some game play footage at the link below:
https://youtu.be/ig1a29CgVdA

When I first started playing I don't think there was a link on this website so I made my own patch using the PRG1 rom as opposed to the PRG0.  So far it seems to work just fine.

I think my only criticisms at this point is to change the Mario sprite when you go into the card house to match his Soviet game sprite and also to maybe remove some coins in the levels.  I remember a few levels where the natural coin placements just made things extremely difficult. 

Still though, I loved every minute I had playing this game.  It's a blast.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 05:24:04 pm »
Why not a Soviet Mario RPG...? (like a hack of Final Fantasy or something)

That's is a pretty cool idea, I'd love to see that too. :D

B.B.Link

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 06:30:44 pm »
I didn't test this yet. Are there any new levels? The worlds look different but from the screenshots, the levels look the same...........

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 01:01:44 pm »
The levels are the same, yes, with just a couple of minor exceptions. Some are extremely difficult now because coins are everywhere.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

KP9000

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 07:18:17 pm »
Thanks for all of your feedback, guys. I do plan on releasing a 1.01 version of this to fix a couple of bugs and make some minor tweaks. There are some things that are sort of out-of-whack with it that I'd like to fix before getting some cartridges made. I do have a few people interested. It depends on how many people want them. I'm still working out the pricing details, and getting a couple of prototypes made. The boards I'll use for these will be 100% new, so no sacrificing other games to make these.

As far as the suggestions that have been made:
1) Levels are not getting their coins moved or removed. You're going to take a few hits, I guarantee it. This game reeks of communism, so it isn't going to be fair. I've designed the game around this- you'll get plenty of items to use. If you can't handle the difficulty, then you should probably go play an easier game like Sesame Street ABC.

2) Levels are original for a reason. I feel that introducing a gimmick like deadly coins would lose a lot of its intrigue if you didn't get to experience it with a well-known environment like the vanilla SMB3 levels are. Besides, designing a level knowing that coins do damage would be difficult to do without making it Kaizo. The vanilla set of levels have a decent balance of coins already. Perhaps someday I will design a new set of levels AND give the player the choice of which set of levels they'd like to play. This was originally the plan, but with my life as busy as it is, I just ran out of time to make the levels and figure out how to make the game load two separate level sets. 2P mode was going to get nerfed.

3) If I had my own way, the intro to the N-Spade card matching game would be entirely removed. If I can figure out how to do so before the next release, it will be removed.

4) Other issues:
- The sprite that I used for Princess Peach's replacement will be brand new instead of a rip of an existing game's sprite.
- There is a bug where the P-Switch music is not preserved when going through a pointer (pipe/door).
- Another bug exists where all vertical lock blocks are replaced with horizontal road tiles when unlocked.
- I also need to fix the first fortress in World 7 so you can see the doors since they are black doors against a black background.
- Minor display glitch on the credits screen where the ground doubles up during curtain rise. I'm not sure what's causing it.

5) I really would like to increase the deaths and coins counter to three digits. I haven't been able to figure that out quite yet. If someone could help me out with that, I will give you a gold star.

Thanks, DeathByBFG, for the gameplay footage. Good to see it working on the Retron5, even if it does have that icky rendering mode enabled. :P

April 06, 2016, 12:16:29 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

How does the red shell look? I could also go with a yellow one. My preference was to go with a transparent red one, but I can't find anyone who sells them right now.

Anyone wanting one should probably PM me. I've already got a few people who do, but only one has PMed me. I guess it helps keep track of who wants one.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:16:31 pm by KP9000 »

MasterGwonam

• Restricted Access
  • Soldier of Squad Allah
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 08:45:40 pm »
So I'm not the only one making a Commie Mario hack! Good one brother!

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 12:52:17 pm »
On April 3rd, KP9000, snarfblam, MetroidMst, and myself raced this hack. You can see it here, in its full propaganda form!

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!