News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Megaman Z  (Read 14828 times)

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
Re: Megaman Z
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 12:35:03 pm »
And it was only used a couple of times in the game, and future X games abandoned the idea switching to other helmet upgrade abilities like the search and the omega blaster.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2016, 07:07:04 pm »
Hell yeah, always wanted to  play through X1 as Zero!

Lack o' ponytail doesn't really bother me. Never been a big fan of watching his hair flailing all over the place with every step he takes anyway haha.

Hell, if you have the space on the sprites, you could always just add some yellow to the bottom left side of his helm so it just looks like he has  hair, then add a bit to his running sprites (whenever you see more of his back I guess). Then the only time it'd look out of place would be when he's coming down from a jump.

But hair or no hair this still totally kicks ass. Outside of Wily's sprite looking a little bit like he has some beard for a chin, this hack's looking damn fine! Keep up the good progress.  :beer:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 12:30:13 pm »
The original sprite for Zero didn't have the green chest boobs, so might I suggest using the armor upgrade to add them in as a nod to the original oversight?
  wouldn't that kinda ruin the story considering Zero's body was destroyed, and then remade and upgraded in x2?

falchion22

• Shoryuken!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 01:59:23 pm »
Ok, Megaman Z is ready to download. Enjoy!

You can find it here:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2889/

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 04:02:05 am »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 04:05:48 pm by Seeeeph »

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 04:24:26 am »
Freezes before the Vile fight for me, using ZSNES. The intro Vile fight, that is.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 04:46:48 am »
Freezes before the Vile fight for me, using ZSNES. The intro Vile fight, that is.

people use zsnes still?  ::)

shadow501

• Pro Hex Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 09:21:45 am »

Me too, it is freezes :huh:

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 11:43:51 am »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 04:06:03 pm by Seeeeph »

falchion22

• Shoryuken!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 12:23:30 pm »
Me too, it is freezes :huh:

Make sure that you are patching Mega Man X (U) (V1.1)[!].smc and that the rom has no header.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 03:29:12 pm »
I do. If its not broken, why change? Hate Snes9x and especially all forks of higan/bsnes. Found more bugs in my hack when using Snes9x for what its worth and zsnes is still stable after all these years.

All depends on users choices I guess.

Just an FYI, SNES9X is a bit more accurate than ZSNES so finding bugs in SNES9X more than likely means there's a lot of fixing that needs to be done.  Though, I do tend to use ZSNES as well if I'm actually playing anything.  It's a lot easier to work with and the GUI is nice.  I should probably upgrade to the very latest version of SNES9X though as I hear that's improved ten fold from what it used to be.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 03:42:45 pm »
First I tried it using BSNES (073), it worked but there were odd graphical corruptions (the Wily capsule and the 'Z' in the title particularly)

I then found a different MMX 1.1, only this one was '.sfc' I then used a tool to make sure its checksum was okay.

That cleared up the graphical corruptions.

I then put it on my powerpak to play it on real hardware.

For some reason or other I hit two areas that cause freezing.

*Right before Vile in the intro stage
*The minute you begin to move in Launch Octopus's stage (Somehow I managed to remember that 888888888877 password from my youth  ;D)

After trying real hardware I went and tried it again on BSNES, and it froze in the intro right before Vile.

There were also other weird graphical..I don't know how to describe it.. stuttering? Like when I compared the title screen animation the X and the Z animates in an odd way and during the intro stage when the bee copter things fall there is noticeable..I can't describe it, just something looks off.

Observations:

I really like the attention to detail. Specifically the icon in the boss meter being changed from a Wily skull to a Sigma emblem.

I did a quick play through of Chill Penguin, Flame Mammoth and Storm Eagle and everything worked fine. Thank you for making this.

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2016, 01:11:17 am »
Got one that seems to work, ZSNES said bad rom on all of the ones I have whether they work or not, so I dunno if that's the reason for this or not, but when X came to save Zero, half of his buster disappeared while charging, as well as there didn't seem to be a charging animation. I rather enjoy the changes so far(Although it's weird that X can dash in the beginning with no armor pieces in X1), though so far I found his head part upgrade message to be a little lacking. The boot upgrade's text was rather nice, however the head piece didn't detail what the head piece did and Wily just sorta repeated himself in what he said with the boot upgrades.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2016, 08:53:56 am »
Make sure that you are patching Mega Man X (U) (V1.1)[!].smc and that the rom has no header.
Would you like to double check? Because you provided this instead of that -

Mega Man X (USA) (Rev 1).smc
CRC32: DED53C64
MD5: DF1CC0C8C8C4B61E3B834CC03366611C
SHA-1: C65216760BA99178100A10D98457CF11496C2097
SHA-256: B8F70A6E7FB93819F79693578887E2C11E196BDF1AC6DDC7CB924B1AD0BE2D32

For me, the one in the quote worked. You need the exact ROM that is unheadered.

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2016, 05:23:58 pm »
So far the hack is nice as far as the model for Zero, I might even like it more than the X3 one, though of course it doesn't have his hair, it's still quite nice. Good job though so far, would love it more if there was some more creativity with the buster or some other QOL improvements, but it does it's job and I shouldn't compare the two.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 05:58:28 pm by Atrushan »

falchion22

• Shoryuken!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2016, 06:00:44 pm »
Would you like to double check? Because you provided this instead of that -

For me, the one in the quote worked. You need the exact ROM that is unheadered.

Thanks for pointing that out. I will update the Rom info to reflect the correct rom.

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2016, 07:16:16 pm »
I do. If its not broken, why change? Hate Snes9x and especially all forks of higan/bsnes. Found more bugs in my hack when using Snes9x for what its worth and zsnes is still stable after all these years.

All depends on users choices I guess.

Of course when you build a hack around ZSNES' speedhacks they obviously won't work correctly in more accurate emulators. ZSNES is horribly hacky and inaccurate and should really only ever be used if you just absolutely have to play a rom hack that is built around ZSNES and won't work in better emulators. It's also a security risk 'With specially made hacks and homebrew ROMs, it is possible for them to break out of ZSNES itself and execute native code on the host computer.'

Hey if you hate change then keep on keepin on. I would never want to use a program that hasn't been updated in nearly 10 years, with horrible inaccuracies and security flaws, but that's just me.

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2016, 12:59:16 pm »
I tried making it again and this time nothing freezes, I don't know what went wrong before. Some minor graphical glitchyness is still present but not that noticeable at all.

My only two-cents is that the 'Wily' capsules look a little out of place. I was actually expecting the pink/red capsules from MMX3.

thainferno305

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 12:00:31 am »
I went to armed armadillo stage and I repeat that level 5X and I did not get the secret weapon Hadouken did you got rid of that for zero

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 02:13:11 am »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 04:06:33 pm by Seeeeph »