News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Megaman Z

Started by falchion22, May 17, 2016, 11:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falchion22

Here is a hack that I began back in 2007. I lost interest in it and put it on hold and uploaded what I had so done at the time.
After playing various Megaman hacks, I was inspired to start work on the project again.

Previous Hack:

Updated Hack:

Edited Megaman X to look like Zero. Changed Title Screen.

Changed 90% of dialogue.

Edited Get Weapon Portrait to look like Zero.

Changed Dr. Light into Dr. Wily.

Edited Boss select screen "Megaman X" icon into "Z"

Zero can use the upgrades given to him, but his armor looks the same.
I am still working on editing those sprites.

Also, Zero has no ponytail. I apologize for my lack of asm coding knowledge, but I am hoping this hack will inspire someone to find a way to include his hair.

I will be releasing a patch later this month.

Also, I want to thank Justin3009, Xstuff, and Protorock for helping me with this project and for answering my questions.

Satoshi_Matrix

Awesome! I really look forward to this! Do you need a beta tester? I'd love to give this a run and see if I can't find any bugs that could might need fixing before the proper release.

As for Zero's hair, might it help to look at Megaman X3, or the X3 hack where Zero is fully playable? Just throwing that out there.

justin3009

Yep, he's asked about it via PM and the easiest answer is to copy Zero's Sprite Assembly, VRAM data and Animation data over.

The problem with that is that it's going to take a massive rewrite of all that data and the bits that load the animations would have to change as well.

It's not easy whatsoever and it's ludicrously time consuming. It's possible to expand the ROM and just slap the data as is from X3 into X1, but that seems pretty wasteful. It'd save days of work so the only real thing left is animation bit changes.

Either way, it's an annoying hassle and will take large amounts of time to do if done. Plus, if done this way, he'd have to redo all of Zero's graphics to match the new layout in ROM.. yeah it's a headache no matter which way you go.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

andrewclunn

Almost sounds easier to stick the x1 level data into x3

justin3009

It most likely is honestly.  Then comes rewriting all the enemy AI and what not too.  Uch.

No matter which way this is done, it will take a ridiculous amount of time either on a coders part or the actual hackers part.  There is no easy way around it sadly.

I think my biggest concern minus the copying data over is the Sprite Assembly/VRAM setup.  I believe X2/X3 use the CX4 chip to appropriately set everything up while X1 does not.  Interestingly enough, if X1's routine could be copied over into X2/X3, this would fully allow graphics to be used in any bank WITHOUT the CX4 chip throwing a fit about them.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

bradzx

GET THE F*** OUT!!!  X'D FINALLY I AM WAITING FOR THIS SO F***ING LONG THAT SOMEONE WILL DO IT FOR PLAYABLE ZERO!!!!   BOO-YA!!!!   I CANT WAIT PLAY THIS HACK!!!  <3 <3 <3 <3  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Synnae

Wow. This looks great. I will make sure to play it. ;D

Shame on the hair, though. It will probably be the hack's only flaw. But since it's so hard to do, I guess it can't be helped. :(

...and I guess this also ends up killing my hopes for a Roll Chan X hack someday... :'(

justin3009

Graphically speaking, if the game gets expanded to 2 MB then Zero's sprites could be transferred over.  The Sprite Assembly and stuff I haven't checked yet, though I think a slight ROM expansion would be good so the dialogue could be moved and be edited however it's needed without constraint.

I'm willing to do most of the brunt work to technically have Zero playable instead of X, but I don't have the patience to overlay any of the sprites and such, that'd be up to the user.

falchion22

Quote from: justin3009 on May 19, 2016, 10:09:06 AM
Graphically speaking, if the game gets expanded to 2 MB then Zero's sprites could be transferred over.  The Sprite Assembly and stuff I haven't checked yet, though I think a slight ROM expansion would be good so the dialogue could be moved and be edited however it's needed without constraint.

I'm willing to do most of the brunt work to technically have Zero playable instead of X, but I don't have the patience to overlay any of the sprites and such, that'd be up to the user.

I have the patience to do the sprites. Count me in. I actually enjoy doing sprite work.

shadow501

My wish play by Zero, Good job   :thumbsup:

Synnae

Quote from: falchion22 on May 17, 2016, 11:10:05 PM
Zero can use the upgrades given to him, but his armor looks the same.
I am still working on editing those sprites.

You could palette swap the armor parts with the color black depending on the upgrade. It'd be like a reference to Zero's Black Armor from later games.

Simply palette swapping would probably be less stressful than redesigning sprites completely.

Here is a quick edit I did:

He could look like that with all four upgrades.

justin3009

That's actually a really good idea and it cuts out A LOT of excess work.  The only thing that'd need to be changed then is the calling of the extra routines for graphics when you have the armor pieces, which is extremely simple honestly.

Vanya

The original sprite for Zero didn't have the green chest boobs, so might I suggest using the armor upgrade to add them in as a nod to the original oversight?

Midna

If you'll look, the sprites in this hack already have the booblights.

Vanya

I know. I'm suggesting not having the boob lights until after getting the armor upgrade.

falchion22

Quote from: Vanya on May 26, 2016, 08:49:55 AM
I know. I'm suggesting not having the boob lights until after getting the armor upgrade.

You mean like this.....?

Vanya

Yeah. Just like that.

pollux

I think Zero's had enough of a design evolution throughout the series for something like that to work (although I'm not sure what you'd do for the head)

thainferno305

hell yeah ive been waiting for along time for zero to get his exposer in x1 to make him playable

Vanya

My first thought was for the helmet upgrade to do something new that can be thought of as internal instead of giving it a new look.
The block breaking could be tacked on to the Buster Upgrade instead. I always found the Helmet Upgrade in this game was a little too... Super Mario -ish.