News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Wanting to convert a Simplified Chinese patch to Traditional Chinese  (Read 1589 times)

paul2834

• View Profile
I'm very much interested in learning Traditional Chinese right now and figured playing games would be a great way to do it, so revisiting FFIV The Complete Collection in Traditional Chinese would be awesome except all my research shows that the only existing patch is in Simplified Chinese.

I'm wondering if it's possible to take the existing xdelta patch and decompile it to get the tables and then just replace the simplified characters with the traditional equivalents. It shouldn't be much more work than that since all the offsets should be the same, but I would need the source files. I don't even want credit for the work, since so much of the work is already done. We could just lump the Traditional Chinese with this page: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2461/

I believe I see an example here of essentially what I want to do here: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/965/

***EDIT***:

Ok, did some more research and I believe I have the right steps. Please comment if I'm going way off course.

1) Apply the Simplified Chinese patch to the JP FFIV PSP rom.
2) Decompile the new ROM using whatever techniques people have been using to hack the ROM in the first place.
3) Make my changes to the tables.
4) Recompile the ROM with the new tables. I should now have a Traditional Chinese FFIV.
5) Use Xdelta to diff my Traditional Chinese ROM against the original JP FFIV PSP ROM to get the patch if I want to distribute Traditional Chinese to others.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:42:17 pm by paul2834 »

Vehek

• View Profile
This isn't as easy as that traditional-to-simplified patch. Multiple traditional characters may become one simplified character. It's hard to automatically go from simplified to traditional.

paul2834

• View Profile
Excellent point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambiguities_in_Chinese_character_simplification

Looking at the list there, it looks like I can shrink it further because a lot of those traditional characters give you the option of choosing just one from the group for all associated meanings of the simplified equivalent. I think I can get the list short enough that manually looking for these exception cases to figure out the context won't be too troublesome.

But now I'm concerned about actually extending the table, which will have to happen for the cases that don't apply above. There's an even greater chance I could break a check sum somewhere. I understand the fundamentals of manipulating binary data and do plenty of that on a regular basis, but I've never done any PSP development (let alone any video game development) so I'm not familiar with their tools or their requirements for a working ROM or even compiling/decompiling a ROM.

Time to dig around the Internet some more. Any help or PSP related documentation would help immensely.

paul2834

• View Profile
Found some more time to work on this, but I'm not making too much progress. I'm doing a lot of reading and pretty much all of the guides talk about decoding what hex values map to what characters/letters and then from there you can rewrite your script with the characters/letters you really want assuming all the characters/letters you want are there.

However, I'm wanting to do the opposite. Since we're talking about the monster that is the Chinese script, I highly doubt traditional characters are already in the game, especially if they're not being used anywhere since this is a Simplified Chinese fan translation. And I don't need to rewrite the script. The words are the same, they're just written differently between the two scripts. So I need to learn how to modify the fonts, but keep the same hex mapping (generally speaking; I understand there are the exceptions addressed above).

Is anybody able to point me in the right direction?

EDIT: There were some mentions of being able to open the fonts in a tile viewer. Do you guys have more information on this?