News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to use Geiger's Trace Logger? (SNES)  (Read 2979 times)

StoneOcean

• View Profile
How to use Geiger's Trace Logger? (SNES)
« on: May 15, 2016, 04:21:20 pm »
I've been using Geiger's SNES9X emulator and am struggling to figure out how to use the trace logging feature.  I have done some reading online and couldn't find an answer to my question.  I accidentally got it working once with the logs saving in the log folder but when I reopened the emulator I could only see when my breakpoints fired in the debugging window and no more logs in the log folder.  I'm sure it isn't that hard to figure out and I figure I'm missing something simple.  Also, does anyone know why the Geiger emulator is slow emulating games but seems to run normal speed once a breakpoint is added?  Thanks in advance for your help. 

STARWIN

• View Profile
Re: How to use Geiger's Trace Logger? (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:08:21 am »
it logs if it is not paused and the CPU checkbox is ticked at Logging. checkboxes at trace options determine the output, i seem to have only squelch set out of those from some old last time i used this.

the log file grows rapidly while logging, so do not log for longer than like 1 second. so if possible, set 2 breakpoints, one before moment of interest and one after, let the first one trigger, and while paused, set it to log and continue execution until the second one breaks and uncheck. (or 1 breakpoint in game loop)

StoneOcean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 05:36:36 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to post, I'll give what you said a try.

[Edit] - That worked for me.  When using "Trace From" does it log at the first address and stop logging at the second address?  My logs do vary but I'm not noticing much of a difference between my logs when I set different addresses.

[Edit 2] - I found this while doing some more searching, hopefully I can post this here for someone else with the same question:
http://www.zophar.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-4023.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:56:39 am by StoneOcean »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 01:26:47 am »
I have not had "squelch" turned on in a long time as I recall it having a bad idea of what data is "unimportant". :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 02:21:15 am »
What version of Geiger's debugger are you using? Mine, with "squelch" off, fails to display most of the data.
Mauron wuz here.

StoneOcean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 08:56:32 am »
I have not had "squelch" turned on in a long time as I recall it having a bad idea of what data is "unimportant". :P

I'll give it a shot without "squelch" and see what differences I can find in my log.  I thought I had read other posts on here saying to uncheck "squelch" but I didn't remember why.  It seems a lot of people here have been able to trace and find what they were looking for without having "squelch" checked.

What version of Geiger's debugger are you using? Mine, with "squelch" off, fails to display most of the data.

I'm using version 1.51.  I haven't checked yet, but I'll see what differences there are with and without "squelch".

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 03:22:10 pm »
I just checked a random hunch - The issue I was having occurs Tabbed Output on and Squelch off. This is the output that combination of settings produces.

Code: [Select]
HC:0220 VC:000 00
A mass of whitespace at the beginning was omitted. That seems to be the only combination of settings with an issue.
Mauron wuz here.