News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario World hacks in Super Mario All-Stars?  (Read 2202 times)

pikahax

• View Profile
Super Mario World hacks in Super Mario All-Stars?
« on: May 11, 2016, 12:09:53 am »
Super Mario World was included in the limited edition Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World in 1994.
Super Mario World is 4 megabits, Super Mario All-Stars is 16 megabits, Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World is 20 megabits.
Using Lunar Magic automatically adds a header upon loading and automatically expands the ROM size upon saving.
Super Mario World will be expanded to 8 megabits and Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World will be expanded to 24 megabits.

I'm thinking "What if there's a program for Super Mario World patches that increases the offset values to make it compatible with Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World?"
Finished hacks that are usually 16 or 32 megabits. Putting it in Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World will have to be 32 or 48 megabits respectively.
12 megabit hacks will make it 28 megabits for Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World. 20, 24, or 28 megabits needs to be 48 as there's no 36, 40, and 44 megabit options.
48 megabit hack will have to be applied to a 64 megabit expanded Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World ROM.
The only drawback is that 64 megabit hacks will be incompatible with Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World as it could create an invalid file size (80 megabits) as SNES emulators detect it as an invalid or corrupted file.

This is only an opinion. But it could be possible to make such program.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario World hacks in Super Mario All-Stars?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 12:19:53 am »
Super Mario World hacking is very, very well-established at this point and if what you are suggesting hasn't already been done, there are probably good reasons for it.  I have a vague understanding that there are already SMW hacks that are meant to be applied to All-Stars mostly so they can use a different music engine, but I am unfamiliar with the details.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 04:33:52 am »
Most don't bother due to the fact that SMW is already a stand alone game with massive amounts of tools to use. It'd be pointless to hack SMA + SMW when the stand alone has a heck of a lot more options.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

pikahax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:04:17 pm »
Somebody made a Super Mario World hack based on Super Mario Bros. Special.
Imagine hacking Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World.
Using Lunar Magic to edit Super Mario World levels and other editors to edit levels for Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 11:20:25 pm »
You may already be aware that there is a utility to apply SMB1 hacks to All-Stars, but I understand it has limitations.
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/837/
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 09:06:50 am »
I never even heard of that tool before. That's pretty neat. I doubt SMB special would port cause of all the ASM he used to fit more tiles in the SMB levels.