News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: New Assembly Coding Support Page and An Offer to Help Program Tools  (Read 7872 times)

Klarth

• View Profile
Re: New Assembly Coding Support Page and An Offer to Help Program Tools
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 11:15:13 am »
It got me thinking into a new feature for fceux: it would be nice if fceux would allow to load a PPU pattern table as a "tbl" in hex viewer and view the rom contents in graphical format.
That's an interesting idea, but has extremely limited usability because most games store level data using RLE and/or tile compositing (eg. 1 "level" tile is composed of a 2x2 grid of 8x8 tiles). Or did I misunderstand what you meant?

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 11:53:28 am »
Yes, it would be helpful for a lot of cases like title screens and locating metatiles. From the games I've tested, most don't really have compression, but yeah, it wouldn't be useful for some games.

About using metatile tables that's part of what I asked helped to do on the super pitfall map editor. There's isn't a general use map editor that does that, is there? My idea is that the editor can be flexible enough to be compatible with more games later.

jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 06:37:18 am »
I've updated the Merlin32 assembler/linker for direct patching and have provided an example patch for the SNES game, Dragon Quest III (J), with applied English language translation patch. This example assembly patch then shows how to add the X and Y locations (in the field or in a town) to the gold information display when "A" is pressed. Full source is provided, plus links to some tools (including the modified Merlin32 assembler tool.) The updated page is Patching SNES ROMs Directly from Assembly. (The page also provides a few addresses for useful subroutines, too.)
An equal right to an opinion isn't a right to an equal opinion. -- 1995, me
Saying religion is the source of morality is like saying a squirrel is the source of acorns.  -- 2002, me