News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [WIP] Wrecking Crew '98 (Super Famicom) Translation  (Read 85084 times)

rainponcho

• View Profile
Re: [WIP/HELP] Wrecking Crew '98 (Super Famicom) Translation
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2017, 02:18:58 pm »
Yep. That's right. Here's part2 also.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/rupjvs

edit:
At 0x0054E7:
[9F CA] - Your code had 8F C8
And at 0x0054F5
[9F 0A] - Your code had 8F 08

If you use 9F CA + 9F 0A --- it will mess up after you play 10+ tournaments (incorrect printing).

The ips patch above correctly handles 10+ tournament plays.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:07:26 pm by rainponcho »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2017, 01:40:47 pm »
Yep. That's right. Here's part2 also.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/rupjvs

edit:
If you use 9F CA + 9F 0A --- it will mess up after you play 10+ tournaments (incorrect printing).

The ips patch above correctly handles 10+ tournament plays.

Oh sorry, I didn't see that you replied back XP
I will patch the ROM with the new patch you provided next.
Thank you so much!

In the meanwhile, here's some new updates:

I still have like 4 compressed graphics left to be done.
After that, I will continue with either the Tutorial or the Story text, it all depends.

I might need help from someone who knows japanese quite well for those, as I don't know japanese at all. :P
The text for both story and tutorial scripts is within the first two pages of this thread!

-----------------------------------

EDIT:
Okay guys, I hit the point where I might have to rely on someone who really knows some japanese, as the next parts will start being heavy on it and I want to make sure I make a good enough hacking process with a proper translation.
I am already translating the HELP menu, and this is what I need help with:

ハンドルの俥いかた
??? (Handles maybe?)

ブ口ツクの壊しかた
???

バクダンの使いかた
HOW TO USE BOMBS

パネルの使いかた
USING THE PANELS

パネルの効果
EFFECT OF THE PANEL

パネルの連鎖
CHAINING PANELS

ゲームのルール
GAME RULES

スぺシャル
???

Also, I will need someone who can understand the text in this image:

I understand something like "Secret map" or something similar, but not the entire phrase.
Could someone help with said translations?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:52:44 pm by ShadowOne333 »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2017, 12:36:45 am »
ひみつアジトちず
Secret Hideout Map

As in criminal's hideout. If you can find something shorter go ahead, or else you might be forced to shorten the text (no "map") or use a smaller font like the one in Link's Awakening's VWF patch or Fire Emblem 7.

And please change the English font for "Match 1" so that either the text or the number match the height of each other.

I'll get the other later.
スぺシャル means "SPECIAL" obviously, and I'd like to check how the others appear in-game.
If you're keeping the original font, best go with all-caps.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2017, 11:57:02 am »
Damn that was quite a long weekend.
I might not be able to work on the project during weekends, so expect most of the updates to come during week days :P

With that said, let's get back on track:

ひみつアジトちず
Secret Hideout Map

As in criminal's hideout. If you can find something shorter go ahead, or else you might be forced to shorten the text (no "map") or use a smaller font like the one in Link's Awakening's VWF patch or Fire Emblem 7.

And please change the English font for "Match 1" so that either the text or the number match the height of each other.

I'll get the other later.
スぺシャル means "SPECIAL" obviously, and I'd like to check how the others appear in-game.
If you're keeping the original font, best go with all-caps.

Thank you so much for the translation!
I was struggling with that bit. I will go ahead and try to fit it into the World map tiles to see how it looks like, if it doesn't fit I might shorten it to "Secret Hideouts" or something similar, I'll see what I can work out.

As for the "Match" text, take a look at this:

There's two things I want to touch upon from that image:

• For the right side of the image, I am missing a tile above the letter "H" from "MATCH". That is the reason why I didn't make the text for "Match" the same height as the numbers (which are three 8x8 tiles tall). The tile map does not have a tile to fit above the "H", which is why I had to shorten the height of the letters to two 8x8 tiles tall instead of the three that the number is.
    I could, however, change all of the numbers to fit two 8x8 tiles tall. What do you think, GHANMI?
  • For the left side of the screen, I continued with the text for the HELP screen, and found out a similar issue to that of the above point.
    The tiles which have an odd pink/blue lines or arc are those which, as stated above, are not present in the tile map.
    This means that I'd have to avoid the upper half of the 8x16 tiles for any text I'd want to put in there. The last line (where SPECIAL goes) wouldn't be an issue, but the other 4 above it would represent a challenge.
    I still have yet to see what I'll do for those. The f4th, 5th and 6th line have up to the fifth 8x8 tile until the missing tile appears. It's the 6th 8x8 tile which is missing from those lines, and for the 7th line, that one is a mess of missing tiles, I only have two 8x8 tiles to work with until the first missing tile appears in the upper half, and then it continues with another 2 upper tiles missing in the following 5 tiles.

I'll see what I can do about those in the next days.

Oh btw, GHANMI, here's what I have so far of the HELP menu:

mariosmentor

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2017, 01:07:57 pm »
 :huh: Really, the lack of Kanji in this game has made this such a pain for me to try to translate. And here I thought I could pop up out of nowhere and help out again. :'( Well, at least I managed to get the first half of the Bombs tutorial.

Quote from: How to use Bombs (1st half)
ここでは、
バクダンのつかいかたを
せつめいします。
Here,
I will explain how
to use Bombs.

バクダンとは、
このパネルのことを
いいます。
This Panel
here is called
a Bomb.

バクダンパネル、
つうしょうバクダンを
たたくと...
If you hit this
Bomb, also known
as a Bomb Panel...

このように、
ばくはつします。
It will
then explode.

このとき、
ブロツクは
パネルにかわり、
This time,
the Blocks were
replaced by Panels,

[Mario blows up another Bomb]

パネルは
こわれてなくなり、
the Panels
broke and disappeared,

[Mario breaks the remaining Panel]

このくろいバネル、
つうしょうてっぱんも、
こわれてなくなります。
and even these black
Panels called Iron Plates
will break and disappear.

[Mario blows up another Bomb, destroying the Iron Plates.]

てっぱんは、バクダンを
つかわないかぎり、
こわすことができません。
Unless you use
Bombs, Iron
Plates can't be broken.

なお、バクダンどうしが
ばくはつしたばあいは、
こうなります。
Furthermore, if Bombs
are exploded in short range
like so, this will happen.

それから...
バクダンは、パネルついか
ボタンをおさないと
でてきません。
After that...
Bombs, as in Panels
with buttons on them,
will no longer appear.

バクダンは、パネルを
2ぎょうついかするごとに
1コでてきます。
When 2 or more lines of
Panels appear, so will
1 more Bomb.

ブロツクやパネルが
つみあがっているときなどは
とてもだしこくいもの
ですが...

ひじょうにやっかいな
てっぱんをけすには、
バクダンをつかうしか
ありません。

また、バクダンは
すごくつかいにくい
マイテムですが、なれれば
たいへんべんりです。

がんばって
れんしゆうしましょう。

おしまい

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2017, 09:19:46 am »
You could change the numbers to a lower height, yes. But I think what you need is not just editing the tile graphics, but also their map arrangements (which causes stuff to be repeated/reused).

CONTROLS
USING HANDLES
BREAKING BLOCKS
USING BOMBS
PANEL EFFECTS
PANEL CHAINS
GAME RULES
SPECIAL

If you're going to have translations inserted, better keep in mind the text window has a limit of 13 letters per line, and 4 lines total. I edited some of the text already translated with those limitations in mind... but because the limit is so small, the text is awkward at places.

Handles.
-------------
HERE, WE'LL
LEARN HOW TO
USE HANDLES.
-------------
TO USE A
HANDLE, HIT
THAT BUTTON.
-------------
THEN... JUST
BY PRESSING
THIS BUTTON,
YOU CAN...
-------------
SLIDE A LINE
OF BLOCKS AND
PANELS THIS
WAY.
-------------
WHAT GOES OFF
SCREEN COMES
BACK FROM THE
OTHER SIDE.
-------------
IF YOU MASTER
USING THEM,
HANDLES ARE
VERY USEFUL.
-------------
SO MAKE SURE
TO PRACTICE!
-------------
THE END
-------------

Blocks.
-------------
HERE, WE'LL
LEARN HOW TO
BREAK BLOCKS.
-------------
IF WE HIT
THIS BLOCK
ONCE...
-------------
IT WILL TURN
INTO A PANEL.
-------------
AND IF WE HIT
THAT PANEL...
-------------
IT BREAKS AND
VANISHES.
-------------
BESIDES, IF
WE LINE UP 3
PANELS OF THE
SAME COLOR...
-------------
THEY WILL ALL
SPARKLE AND
VANISH.
-------------
PANEL GROUPS
MAY BE EITHER
HORIZONTAL OR
VERTICAL.
-------------
MEANING THIS
ARRANGEMENT
WON'T BE
CLEARED...
-------------
BUT THIS ONE
WOULD BE FOR
SURE.
-------------
CLEARING
PANELS AND
BLOCKS IS THE
GAME'S CORE.
-------------
SO PRACTICE
IT WELL!
THE END
-------------

Bombs
-------------
HERE, WE'LL
LEARN HOW TO
USE BOMBS.
-------------
SEE THIS
PANEL? THAT'S
A BOMB.
-------------
IF YOU HIT
THIS BOMB
PANEL...
-------------
IT EXPLODES.
-------------
THIS TIME,
BLOCKS WERE
REPLACED BY
PANELS.
-------------
THE PANELS
GOT BLOWN UP.
-------------
EVEN BLACK
ONES, "IRON
PLATES", ARE
DESTROYED.
-------------
NOTHING BUT
BOMBS CAN
CLEAR IRON
PLATES.
-------------
(todo)
-------------
AFTER THAT NO
MORE BOMB
PANELS WILL
APPEAR.
-------------
(...)

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2017, 11:38:54 am »
Eh. Space limits.

For 'MATCH' and 'HELP' tiles, I suggest painting some of those black blocks different patterns/colors to see where they end up on-screen. If it looks like a 'dead' tile you don't need, then GHANMI is right - probably becomes my job to fix the tilemap arrangements. I too prefer this first over shrinking everything down.

For tutorial text window, same thing I guess. Probably be first in line to see if asm expansion is easy-ish.

Right-e-o. My load is heading downward so I might become available on-deck. In March.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2017, 02:00:00 pm »
Thank you so much, @mariosmentor and @GHANMI for the translations!
I will save them up for when I get to the tutorial text :D

Also, thank you so much @GHANMI and @rainponcho for all of your help in this project, I cannot express with words how thankful I am :D

Now to continue, here's what I have so far for the HELP MENU:

I believe you were missing the 5th line in your translation, GHANMI, the "USING PANELS" one.
I assumed that's what it was an added it in. :P

As you can see, almost all of them are done now, it's just two things to point out:
  • The line which says "PANEL EFFECT" could use an "S" at the end. :P
  • The second-to-last line has some noticeable faults.
    I am missing the upper 8x8 tile of the  "M", "E" and "R" for "GAME RULES", and the last two characters of "RULES" are being printed again at the end of the line due to the "ル" being repeated twice in there.
    Thankfully, the upper tiles for the M/E/R are all available within the same compressed graphics, so maybe simply replacing the tile value from an empty tile to the ones of an upper M/E/R could do the trick. And removing the "ES" at the end too.

Also, here's a patch of what I have done so far:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1faip2xzx8sbp9k/TranslationBeta.ips?dl=0
Hopefully having that patch available could help debug some stuff out from your side, guys.

I haven't touched the "MATCH" tile yet, I will try to fix that one by tomorrow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
Okay I just reworked the "MATCH" tiles, how does this look for you guys?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT #2:
I am running across a lot of issues with the CONTROLS menu text, it seems like it uses a lot of tile arrangement for repeating certain characters, and also it seems like I might run low on some space due to the font here being the 8x16 and not the 16x16 font.

Would you guys mind telling me exactly what or how are you finding the tile arrangements for certain screens?
I know there's a way to do so with vSNES but I am kind of lost with it, I used it once only and I already forgot. XD
If it's not vSNES, then whatever other method you guys are using, just so that I can move things around on my own without having to bother you at all with each arrangement problem I cross paths with.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 03:45:00 pm by ShadowOne333 »

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2017, 09:37:49 am »
This is asm hack to change tutorial window size. Requires some edits on your side. Note that making box too overly large probably eats other sprite tiles so beware.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/acnsgz

Haven't looked at tile arrangement yet.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2017, 04:39:33 pm »
This is asm hack to change tutorial window size. Requires some edits on your side. Note that making box too overly large probably eats other sprite tiles so beware.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/acnsgz

Haven't looked at tile arrangement yet.
Oh wow!
The text box now covers most of the horizontal space now, neat!
Hopefully this allows for more fluent english :P
Thank you!

In the meanwhile, I'll play around with vSNES and see what I can learn regarding tilemaps and such.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2017, 07:07:55 pm »
But since this text is used in tutorials, wouldn't the box covering the rest of the visuals explaining the concepts in action defeat the point of the tutorial in the first place? The way it's laid out in game, it covers exactly half the screen, and the other half has something happening.

It's a really impressive ASM hack, but... it's not without its side effects.
I see four possible solutions:

- keeping it as it is, to fill the whole screen, but make it 3 lines and move it to the top of the screen
- keep it as it is, but only add two extra letters (to have 15 per line) and adding a fifth line, expanding the box's top part
- making the box transparent
- not modify the box, but rather implement a variable width font

rainponcho, how can you do this sort of ASM hack? Where do you start from?
Do you also have something to get started with SNES hardware PPU registers?

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2017, 09:48:25 pm »
Playing the tutorials in Japanese, yeah. It was very intentional what they did. Unfortunately moving the box upward runs into the time sprite, which has topmost priority.

Routine starts at c3023b. Draws top-left corner, middle portion, other corner. c30253 is where it does the middle rows - it can be adjusted here (08 => 0A = 5 lines). Or 06 = 3 lines. But I'm guessing that when it transfers it to vram, it's set to transfer up to 4 lines max.

I use a combination of bsnes-plus (debugger) + snes9x-geiger (trace logging). I try inspecting the vram with either to try and guess where the stuff lives. Set debugger breakpoints and idk. Not good at this and struggle a lot. I find ppu to be a lot harder than just code bugfixes.

After a lot of luck, I get some code offset. Then I go to geiger and start sniffing around with code breakpoints and rom hex editor. Lots of trial and error later, sometimes I get something usable.

There's no process in my head to how this works.

I like patch bug fixing better since it's less involved and there's no "deadline" since I can ninja work stuff in secret. If a real asm hacker got involved with this translation (looking at recent snes translation releases), it'd be so much easier since I don't know much what I'm doing.

Feel so useless right now b/c I don't know what to do. I hope someone else reading this actually contributes some code or a hack. Sorry. :(

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: [WIP/HELP] Wrecking Crew \'98 (Super Famicom) Translation
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2017, 11:59:59 pm »
I like patch bug fixing better since it's less involved and there's no "deadline" since I can ninja work stuff in secret. If a real asm hacker got involved with this translation (looking at recent snes translation releases), it'd be so much easier since I don't know much what I'm doing.

Feel so useless right now b/c I don't know what to do. I hope someone else reading this actually contributes some code or a hack. Sorry. :(
Useless?
My friend, don't understimate yourself like that. You've been anything BUT useless.
Quite the contrary, you have done wonders for this project, being able to reverse engineer the compression routine and even code a compressor for it is such an amazing feat, don't let yourself down, you have incredible potential and knowledge to accomplish great things.

As for the PPU/VRAM stuff, do not worry, I got in contact with a good old user who has helped me before and might be quite knowledgeable in that topic :)

March 06, 2017, 11:21:59 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Another weekend has gone by, and I'm back again to the project :)

Now, I did screw around with vSNES saturday morning and with that I have to say something.
I have good news and bad news.

Code: [Select]
ED50 -
FA 04 00 04 00 04 FB 04 00 04 FC 04 FD 04 FE 04
to
FA 04 EA 04 50 04 FB 04 4F 04 FC 04 FD 04 FE 04

ED60 - FF 04 00 04 00 04 FE 04 FF 04
to
FF 04 00 04 00 04 00 04 00 04

EDA0 - 09 05 0A 05 0B 05 08 05 09 05
to
09 05 0A 05 0B 05 00 04 00 04

EC60 - BC 04 BD 04 BE 04 00 04
to
BC 04 BD 04 BE 04 EC 04

ECA0 - C8 04 C9 04 CA 04 00 04
to
C8 04 C9 04 CA 04 AF 04
    NOTE that you have to enable the "Update immediately" option in the Mem Viewer or the tilemap will not update with the changes made. It's the one next to the Zoom option (Cross with arrows).
    [/li]

• Bad news is... The tilemap is compressed. I tried looking for in the barebones ROM and it's not stored in a decompressed form.

Here's my suggestion to tackle the problem with the compressed tilemap:

@rainponcho, if you look at the video DarkSamus made, you can see that the HELP compressed tiles are also there, which means that the "sqiggly lines" he talks about should be stored as compressed graphics as well.
My theory is that maybe the tilemap could be decompressed with your program, and then HEX edited through a hex editor with the changes I specify in my notes, THEN compress it back into the ROM, just as if the tilemap was a compressed graphic too.

Hopefully that might work, it certainly is worth the shot.
If it works, then the same would have to be done for sprites 7a1ac, 7647a (this is the one for the HELP screen) and 75198, which are the only ones remaining with tilemap issues.

@rainponcho, could you try to decompress the part with the sqiggly lines as if they were compressed graphics?
Also, how would I go about decompressing a certain offset myself and compressing it back with the tools you provided?
It'd be good to know so that I can include those into the current de/compression settings.
[/list]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:21:59 am by ShadowOne333 »

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2017, 04:22:01 pm »
Nametable tool
https://m.sendspace.com/upload/7lb4oc

Decode gives you data from crew2. Encode crunches that data back into rom.

Game uses some PEA instructions as ptrs.
$C0/547A F4 C5 00    PEA $00C5
$C0/547D F4 4E C8    PEA $C84E
$C0/5480 F4 00 3C    PEA $3C00
$C0/5483 22 15 0E C0 JSL $C00E15[$C0:0E15]

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2017, 04:46:37 pm »
Nametable tool
https://m.sendspace.com/upload/7lb4oc

Decode gives you data from crew2. Encode crunches that data back into rom.

Game uses some PEA instructions as ptrs.
$C0/547A F4 C5 00    PEA $00C5
$C0/547D F4 4E C8    PEA $C84E
$C0/5480 F4 00 3C    PEA $3C00
$C0/5483 22 15 0E C0 JSL $C00E15[$C0:0E15]

it worked.
I just had to do some trickery with the decompressed tiles because if I grabbed tiles from another row, when that row is selected, the letters/tiles I used for another row will be highlighted, and when I go to the row in question, the letters I grabbed from another row won't be highlighted.

All in all, it's working great.
I will continue with the Controls menu now, then the Data Management Screen, and I believe that should be it for compressed graphics.

Here's the one for the Map screen:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
Just finished up the Controls menu, this is how it looks now:

Now only the Data Management screen is left to be done.
After that, I should start jumping into the main text and tutorial text.

This is the  text for the Data Management screen:

In images:

ストーリーモ一ドの MAPコースデータと
SAVEされた キャラクターを 消します

(No data)
SAVEされているデータは ぁりません

(With data)
データを初具月化しますか?

(Answer is No)
初具月化されませんでした

(Answer is Yes)
OK! 初具月化しました

I'm not sure what the proper translation should be yet, but I'll start by making some sort of basic letter tiles and then I will change them up through the tilemap.
If anyone wants to tackle the translation for the Saved Data screen, be my guest, I will try to make something with sense out of what I get from Google Translate in the meanwhile.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:01:34 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Reichu

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2017, 12:43:34 am »
初具月化 should be 初期化, so we have...

ストーリーモ一ドの MAPコースデータと
SAVEされた キャラクターを 消します

Delete story mode map(s) and saved character(s)?
-
(No data)
SAVEされているデータは ありません

There is no saved data.
-
(With data)
データを初期化しますか?

Delete the data?
-
(Answer is No)
初期化されませんでした

Nothing was deleted.
-
(Answer is Yes)
OK! 初期化しました

OK! Deletion complete.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:36:24 am by Reichu »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2017, 11:52:27 am »
Thank you,  @Reichu :)
This will be of great help to accommodate the text in the screen.

I stumbled upon another problem.
From the decoded tilemaps that rainponcho's nametable tool gives me, I cannot find the tilemap related to this very screen (Data Management).
The decompressed graphics for the screen are at sprite_7a1ac, and I believe the tilemap should be around 7BXXX or somewhere around there.
In vSNES, the decompressed graphics begin at $4000, and the exact address where the tilemap begins for that screen is at $E800.
The only nametable bin which has "somewhat" similar data is 7B3C0, however it still doesn't have a exact match to that of the save state's tilemap.

This is the data I am trying to change for the screen (title of the menu):

E846 (SAVED DATA Upper portion) -
01 04 02 04 00 04 03 04 04 04 05 04 06 04 07 04 08 04 09 04
to
01 04 02 04 03 04 04 04 05 04 00 04 06 04 07 04 08 04 09 04

@rainponcho, sorry to bother you again, I know I'm a nuisance, but could you help me out with that last tilemap?
I checked each one I got from the nametable tool, but no match sadly.

These are the last compressed graphics left to translate, after this, we won't have to touch tilemaps nor compressed graphics anymore (I hope), all that's left is simply toying around with the Text data, which thankfully is all uncompressed and in simple Hex data for us to modify. After finishing this, I will start translating the tutorial text, and give the first Story text a try as well.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 03:14:46 pm by ShadowOne333 »

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2017, 10:43:44 pm »
@rainponcho, sorry to bother you again, I know I'm a nuisance, but could you help me out with that last tilemap?
I checked each one I got from the nametable tool, but no match sadly.

You're able to make lots of progress once you have the right tools. So that's not enough to be annoying. :)

Add this to crew2.txt:
decode_nametable 7b142 nt_7b142

Add this to crew2_new.txt:
encode_nametable 7b142 7b3bf nt_7b142

alternate nametable decoder
$C0/6383 F4 C7 00    PEA $00C7               A:4C01 X:00FF Y:0019 P:eNvMXdIzc
$C0/6386 F4 42 B1    PEA $B142               A:4C01 X:00FF Y:0019 P:eNvMXdIzc
$C0/6389 F4 00 36    PEA $3600               A:4C01 X:00FF Y:0019 P:eNvMXdIzc
$C0/638C 22 15 0E C0 JSL $C00E15[$C0:0E15]   A:4C01 X:00FF Y:0019 P:eNvMXdIzc

Any extra missing ones could be this format. Which I could auto-scan if it comes that far.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2017, 12:03:19 pm »
Thank you yet again, rainponcho!
Without your help this project would get nowhere xD

Alright guys, so with the latest info rainponcho posted, I managed to translate the Saved data screen in its entirety!
Here are the results:

And that should be it for the compressed graphics!
The only problem I encountered after the last post by rainponcho was that the text which appeared in the "YES*NO" selection was uncompressed in the ROM's data.
Why did Nintendo go for using uncompressed tilemap data for ONLY those three lines of text, it's out of my understanding, but hey, it's done :P

Also, here's a test patch for all of those who want to give the translation a try with what's been done so far:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1faip2xzx8sbp9k/TranslationBeta.ips?dl=0

Now guys, all that remains is jumping into the main text of the game.
This means all of the tutorial text and the Story text.
Story text is not that extensive, and the tutorial text could be reworked in one way or another.

Thankfully, both of them are stored as raw data inside the ROM, this means, bare Hex values for tiles/letters.

With that said, does anyone know of an easy way to do this?
I know the offsets for each text block and some of the pointers (or jump routines to them), but doing all of the Hex editing by brute force would be somewhat tiring, so if any of you know an easier way to accomplish this, please let me know.
I read earlier in the thread about Cartographer/Atlas but have zero clue about how to use them.

The information for the text data (offsets, pointers, etc) is found in one of the pages of this thread.

Also, just as a reminder, I'm still looking for a well known japanese translator who can help out for the main text of the game.
It's not that much of a text, but it's considerate.

As always, please let me know if you have any suggestions or feedback about the project!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
I had the pointers at hand, so I might as well just post all the info about the Story and Tutorial text here:

Spoiler:
1) ハンドルの俥いかた : Breaking blocks
0x038A83-0x38BDC
[22 83 8A] - At PC address 0x038041

2) ブ口ツクの壊しかた : Using handles
0x38BDD-0x038CE7
[22 DD 8B] - At PC address 0x0380CB

3) バクダンの使いかた : Using panels
0x038CE8-0x038EB3
[22 E8 8C] - At PC address 0x03810B

4) パネルの使いかた : Panel Effects
0x038EB4-0x039340
[22 B4 8E] - At PC address 0x0381BF

5) パネルの効果 : Panel Chains
0x039341-0x03970F
[22 41 93] - At PC address 0x03834F

6) パネルの連鎖 : Using bombs
0x039710-0x039920
[22 10 97] - At PC address 0x0384BA

7) ゲームのルール : Game Rules
0x039921-0x039CB8
[22 21 99] - At PC address 0x038550

8) スぺシャル : Special
0x039CB9-0x039E8F
[22 B9 9C] - At PC address 0x0386BB

Spoiler:
$D4/5BBE 4A          LSR A                   A:0000 X:0000 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIZC
$D4/5BBF 18          CLC                     A:0000 X:0000 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIZc
$D4/5BC0 6D BE 1D    ADC $1DBE  [$00:1DBE]   A:0000 X:0000 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIZc
$D4/5BC3 E0 00 00    CPX #$0000              A:33B1 X:0000 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzc
$D4/5BC6 F0 07       BEQ $07    [$5BCF]      A:33B1 X:0000 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIZC

$D4/5BCF 8D C2 1D    STA $1DC2  [$00:1DC2]   A:33B1 X:0000 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIZC
$D4/5BD2 AA          TAX                     A:33B1 X:0000 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIZC

1-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:33B1] A:33B1 X:33B1 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

2-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3459] A:3459 X:3459 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

2-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:37F5] A:37F5 X:37F5 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

A-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:4569] A:4569 X:4569 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

A-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:45BD] A:45BD X:45BD Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

3-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:389D] A:389D X:389D Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

3-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3AE9] A:3AE9 X:3AE9 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

B-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:4665] A:4665 X:4665 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

B-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:4905] A:4905 X:4905 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

4-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3B91] A:3B91 X:3B91 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

4-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3E85] A:3E85 X:3E85 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

C-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:4A01] A:4A01 X:4A01 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

C-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:4D49] A:4D49 X:4D49 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

5-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3F2D] A:3F2D X:3F2D Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

5-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:4419] A:4419 X:4419 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

end
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:5139] A:5139 X:5139 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

C2-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:4E99] A:4E99 X:4E99 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

C2-bad
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:50E5] A:50E5 X:50E5 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

C2-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:5091] A:5091 X:5091 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

bowser2-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:40D1] A:40D1 X:40D1 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

bowser2-fail
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:4515] A:4515 X:4515 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

bowser2-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:44C1] A:44C1 X:44C1 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

end2
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:518D] A:518D X:518D Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

4A-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3CE1] A:3CE1 X:3CE1 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

4A-fail
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3ED9] A:3ED9 X:3ED9 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

4A-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3DDD] A:3DDD X:3DDD Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

CA-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:4BA5] A:4BA5 X:4BA5 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

CA-fail
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:4E45] A:4E45 X:4E45 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

CA-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:4D49] A:4D49 X:4D49 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

3A-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3999] A:3999 X:3999 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

3A-fail
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3B3D] A:3B3D X:3B3D Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

3A-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3A95] A:3A95 X:3A95 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

B2-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:47B5] A:47B5 X:47B5 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

B2-fail
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:49AD] A:49AD X:49AD Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

B2-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:4905] A:4905 X:4905 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

2A-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3651] A:3651 X:3651 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

2A-fail
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3849] A:3849 X:3849 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

2A-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:37A1] A:37A1 X:37A1 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

1A-start
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3261] A:3261 X:3261 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

1A-fail
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:3405] A:3405 X:3405 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

1A-good
$D4/5BD3 BF 00 00 D4 LDA $D40000,x[$D4:33B1] A:33B1 X:33B1 Y:5B60 P:envmxdIzC

Also, it seems like the ROM has a ton of free space towards the end of the file.
At around $01BF800, we get around 40800 bytes free.
I went ahead and calculated how many bytes there are for both tutorial and story text:

Tutorial:140D bytes
Story: ~2800 bytes

This means that if we change the pointer to start in that free area and do a RTL of some sort to go back once it finished, we can fit whatever the heck we want in terms of text in there.
I just need to figure out a good way to modify the pointers for both the Story and the Tutorial text to start there or somewhere near.

I did this in a couple of minutes just to prove my point:

That's with the current limitations of space from the japanese text, however when I manage to move the pointers around, we can pretty much make as many text boxes as we need for the tutorial text with the 40800 bytes we have of free space in the final area of the ROM we have of leftovers is more than enough to fit everything we want :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 05:06:37 pm by ShadowOne333 »

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2017, 07:07:29 pm »
Story mode is easier to remap. Example.

1. Copy intro text 142b7d ==> 1f0000
(say 1000h bytes worth)

2. Remap ptr 145398 = 0000

3. Change bank ptr (df = 1f0000)

asm edits:
145bd6 = df
145be0 = df
145be9 = df
145c0c = df
145c15 = df
145c51 = df
145c69 = df
145c7f = df

4. Test. Okay.

edit:
You can try this tutorial box patch. Resizes box and repositions location.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/446xmc

I think it's big enough to be visible and hold the text you want. After all the tutorial text is inserted, we can resize it to better fit the on-screen visuals.

Or move it higher some more. And figure out how to erase that timer sprite.

edit2:
I'll remap the tutorial text also. Half-way figured out.

edit3:
Remaps all tutorial text to bank $DE. You just need to adjust ptrs (ex. 8bdd ==> 0000)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/0oks93
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:36:56 am by rainponcho »