News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [WIP] Wrecking Crew '98 (Super Famicom) Translation  (Read 83686 times)

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] Wrecking Crew '98 (Super Famicom) Translation
« Reply #180 on: April 30, 2017, 06:18:32 pm »
Something interesting in the VRAM dump:
CHISANOK...
The original plan was probably CHIISANA ONNA NO KO (Little Girl) instead of just ONNANOKO (Girl, literally "female child") but they decided against it because of space constraints. You can see that they even avoided using spaces.

But @DarkSamus993, if the whole alphabet is already loaded in the VRAM (as part of the staff credits font) why not use those tiles instead of the ones compressed within the gfx blocks for the enemy sprites?

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2017, 06:40:45 pm »
You can't see the "Safety First" message in the Bowser sign credits. So those tiles could be replaced with the missing alphabet letters.. .. ?

But @DarkSamus993, if the whole alphabet is already loaded in the VRAM (as part of the staff credits font) why not use those tiles instead of the ones compressed within the gfx blocks for the enemy sprites?

oam uses 0000h tile offset (4-bpp).

staff font uses 4000h tile offset (2-bpp separate alphabet).

edit: I don't know why they separately made letters for each enemy and a sprite alphabet, except to gain a few letters. :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:23:50 pm by rainponcho »

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2017, 08:47:14 pm »
So this is the ideal setup for the characters whose names were already localized:

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2017, 09:01:41 pm »
I think EGGPLANT, TROOPA, and SPIKE would be preferable if those are the constraints.  But if it's all just graphics, why not just switch to an 8x4 font?

...Or maybe that's a terrible idea.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2017, 09:07:02 pm »
Wow DarkSamus and rainponcho, you guys really make such a badass team.
You guys are tackling stuff in the ROM to go above and beyond!
Both with the Story text script for more line insertions and for the Credits graphics and translation.

I'm just a lackey to your awesomeness xD

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2017, 11:22:01 pm »
Oh, that's a shame.
Changing the compressed graphic blocks is still possible, so it's not a problem either way.

I think EGGPLANT, TROOPA, and SPIKE would be preferable if those are the constraints.  But if it's all just graphics, why not just switch to an 8x4 font?

...Or maybe that's a terrible idea.

1- That's a terrible idea (also ELT are in a different font than the rest)
2- The letters are reused. So for EGGPLANT MAN you only really need in the GFX block the letters EGPLANTM plus a blank tile for spaces, and the OAM table will specify which of those to use in which places onscreen.

Excuse the out of topic tangential question, but do you have that full 4x8 font? It's nice looking.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 01, 2017, 12:04:53 am »
Oh! I quite misunderstood.

Excuse the out of topic tangential question, but do you have that full 4x8 font? It's nice looking.
I'm flattered.  It seems to me that with 8x4 one does not have too many options, so I figured I'd just throw something together in Paint rather than hunt down someone else's reference implementation.  ELT are thicker in a vague attempt to reflect the original, and I brazenly cheated with the M.

Feel free to use however you see fit.

Alternatively:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:36:40 am by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 02, 2017, 12:03:31 pm »
Oh btw GHANMI and Jorpho, before I forget (yet again)...
Do not think I've been ignoring your suggestion about changing the font or something.

It's just that I first want the initial translation to be 100% done before we can attempt to hack the fonts.
I know it's not a difficult feat at all, since I have already modified both 16x16 and 8x16 fonts myself to add some characters, but once we have the final translation done and up in RH, hacking the font should be rather easy :)
The 8x16 font is uncompressed, so we can edit that one right off the back with a simple Tile Editor by importing the ROM, and the 16x16 can be easily modified thanks to rainponcho's compression tools. I can make an easy tutorial about it if you want me to.

But yeah, once we have this ready, then we can jump into custom fonts.
Just hope you guys didn't think I was ignoring you, I simply forgot to reply back to that part. xD

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 02, 2017, 05:15:51 pm »
No problem.

The 8x16 one might be a bit... irregular (x-height is bothering me a bit for that), but it's not really important.
Even releasing the game as it is is alright.
Nintendo bothered putting effort doing complete and unique English fonts for this (same for Kirby no Kirakira Puzzle, and Power Lode) and no one would see these fonts outside of this translation.

Maybe keep the different replacement fonts for addendums or alternate patches.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 02, 2017, 05:22:27 pm »
Maybe keep the different replacement fonts for addendums or alternate patches.
Yep that's exactly what I was thinking.
Making the new fonts some sort of addendum patch or maybe even add them as optional patches.
We shall see :P

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2017, 01:39:42 pm »
I gave the game a try during this week with the latest patch I posted in Page 9, and it seems to be working fine for me.
Outside of the Credits and the addition of new text to the Story portion with rainponcho's hack, it all seems to be going smoothly.

Don't forget to let me know if any of you guys encounter any bugs or glitches so far to try to fix them as soon as I can.

Also, @rainponcho, I haven't tried your patch to expand the Story text blocks yet, but I wanted to ask, how would I go about adding new blocks with your patch into the current text script I have?

For example, this bit:
Code: [Select]
//BLOCK #004 NAME: Level 5 - Win 2

//POINTER #0 @ $146B11 - STRING #0 @ $1444C1

#W16($146B11)
 IMPOSSIBLE!__{line}
THIS BUILDING_{line}
IS INVINCIBLE!{line}
THAT、S WHAT HE{line}
TOLD ME!______{end}

It ends at "IS INVICIBLE!" in-game, but the script has two more additional lines into it.
I add the TBL file you posted, and then what change would I need to do to the script as I have it to incorporate the two remaining lines with the base ROM patched with your hack?

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2017, 02:02:00 pm »
Supposedly this would work:
Code: [Select]
#W16($146B11)
 IMPOSSIBLE!{line}
THIS BUILDING{line}
IS INVINCIBLE!{wait}

THAT、S WHAT HE{line}
TOLD ME!{stop}

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2017, 11:30:36 pm »
I tried with the desktop.7z file posted in the previous page but no luck :(
I end up with a garbled mess of letters in the Story text.

I tried to use a base ROM patched with the ASM file directly with xkas, and I also tried compiling with the modifications done to intro.txt, it makes the insert.bat file fail each time with an error about not finding the WC98_Story.tbl file with the #ADDTBL command.
I tried putting the TBL file in the same directory but nothing.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:42:26 am by ShadowOne333 »

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2017, 09:44:59 am »
Huh. Gave some more testing. No asm changes.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/1bl8jm

00- clean rom
01- use translationbeta.ips (april 29 2017 wip)
02- use text_wait.ips
03- run crew98-atlas file (these are quick, dirty test files)
04- play bowser rematch stage
05- watch building crumble (new text works okay here)

Should mention that the test files have not been tested with official tools - maybe that's why it fails.

edit:
Try copying the edited WC98_Story.tbl file to
WC98-Text-Tools/cmd/WC98_Story.tbl

Then running your new text through the official editor package.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:29:09 am by rainponcho »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2017, 07:39:31 pm »
Huh. Gave some more testing. No asm changes.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/1bl8jm

00- clean rom
01- use translationbeta.ips (april 29 2017 wip)
02- use text_wait.ips
03- run crew98-atlas file (these are quick, dirty test files)
04- play bowser rematch stage
05- watch building crumble (new text works okay here)

Should mention that the test files have not been tested with official tools - maybe that's why it fails.

edit:
Try copying the edited WC98_Story.tbl file to
WC98-Text-Tools/cmd/WC98_Story.tbl

Then running your new text through the official editor package.
Awesome!
Got it to work for both the Intro and Level 5 as well :)
Now I just have to rework the rest of the levels to match the {wait} and {stop} commands properly, since now the rest of the Story text simply keeps printing characters without linebreaks nor stopping.

Just one last question:
In both Intro and Lvl 5 text files, you have #JMP commands with a specific address.
I tried to match those with either the pointer address or the text starting address, but nope.
So I was wondering where did you get those specific JMP addresses?
And how would I go about getting those addresses for the #JMP command for the rest of the text files for the Story text?

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2017, 07:56:07 pm »
You don't actually want to hard-code #JMPs in DarkSamus993's translation tools text output files. Just replace the script with {line} {wait} {stop}/{end} will be good.

(I did that just for quick hack testing, looked up values from the translation wip beta. These offsets will change every time after the text is re-inserted using the tools package)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 19, 2017, 08:11:22 pm »
Phew...
Sorry for the absence from my side during this past weeks.
I struggled A LOT to get this working properly.

Sadly, I couldn't get things working with the tools provided by DarkHunter/DarkSamus.
Thankfully, your last comment, @rainponcho, gave me an idea as to how to work around the problem.

What I ended up doing is edit all Story text files to force a specific offset where each block would go, I specified 1kb ahead for each Story text block so that I can be certain they won't overwrite each other (insertion shows that at most there are certain blocks which get to 800 bytes, so 1000 bytes per block is a nice range).

So I specified #JMP commands to each Story text file, and then went to the pointer's offset for each one of them in the ROM's Hex data, changed them to the ones I specified, and now they work!

So with that said...
Here's another revision of the translation!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/an3xjgp10sed98w/TranslationGamma.ips?dl=0

This patch should have all Menus, Tutorial and Story text translated now!
I also took the liberty to go back to some Story text and rewrite it to take full advantage of the new hack provided by @rainponcho, so that means no more text limitations to Story text! :)

Please, test this new patch and let me know if any of you guys encounter something odd or out of place!

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 19, 2017, 10:34:13 pm »
So I specified #JMP commands to each Story text file, and then went to the pointer's offset for each one of them in the ROM's Hex data, changed them to the ones I specified, and now they work!

Sorry about the hassle - that must've been a decent amount of work. I couldn't get the tools to work on Windows and went the alternate #JMP route. Although your workaround is a great testing idea; I didn't know how to make the whole script work out. :)

Which I tested and like the new additions! Now it reads more like nothing had to be greatly edited or cut down.

Error:
Secret Base C - match 1
It's so...
cold
<< visual overflow glitch - missing {line} >>
ain't
<< missing {stop} - forever pause >>

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 20, 2017, 03:13:28 am »
Oyazi's introductory dialogue is bugged in this version.
There's an extra line overlapping halfways and a soft lock (until you skip the scene altogether), probably a missed line break.

No more garbled graphics either!
This is as good as done, besides fixing some of the bugs for story text, redrawing punctuation marks for the 8x16 font to clearer ones, and maybe the names in the credits.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 20, 2017, 12:07:28 pm »
Thanks for the feedback!
The patch has been reuploaded:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/an3xjgp10sed98w/TranslationGamma.ips?dl=0

Check it out and let me know if you find any more odd stuff :P
The problem with that linebreak wasn't the lack of a {line} command, but rather that I left the ____ spaces in there, that was causing the overflow.

Oh, also, @rainponcho, one other thing I forgot to mention when I got the hack work.

Right now, I don't have any {end} commands in any of the Story files.
For some reason, Atlas would fail trying to compile the files with the {end} command (saying something about not reconizing the "e" in {end}), but seeing how both {stop} and {end} use the same Hex values (FF 07 I believe), I decided to switch them all for {stop} instead.
Not sure why Atlas complains particularly about the {end} command, but oh well, got it working nevertheless :P