News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [WIP] Wrecking Crew '98 (Super Famicom) Translation  (Read 84100 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: [WIP/HELP] Wrecking Crew '98 (Super Famicom) Translation
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2017, 01:29:06 pm »
Ah, so that's where it's played - not sure how I missed that. XD
Yep, I just need to do a test insertion to make sure everything got dumped properly (the bytes should be identical). Once everything is working properly I'll post the final text dump along with the table files & dump/insert batch files.
If that doesn't work out, I'd be willing to try and add a VWF. I've never done one before, but there are some nice examples in the documents section as well as some threads with good information. The tutorial text already stores the text dynamically to VRAM, so that gives me something to work with. The story text is just statically loaded however, so that would need more work. I've already taken some initial notes, but I'll wait to see if it's even necessary.

Doing a VWF hack would be way too much for it.
I'd say that adding a fifth or sixth line to the text boxes for the tutorial should be more than enough.
Although, that doesn't take the Story text into consideration.

Let's see what happens with it, I'm sure the tutorial text will fit nicely once the table is expanded vertically, as the text does print outside of the box if I continue after the fourth line.

"Dark Lord Koopa" is as you might have guessed, Bowser.
SMRPG where they kept lots of the original terminology for Mario lore, referred to him as "King Bowser".
As for the last line, I don't get whether it means "Map of the construction site owned by Bowser" or "Bowser is here, in this specific spot/point".
That was incredibly fast, I just did a second edit to the text when I saw your response.
Thanks for the translation!
I will try to make this one within this week.

Oh and I think they are referring to the overall Construction map, not where Bowser is located exactly, since the image shows the whole map of Wrecking Crew 98, not Bowser's stage specifically.
The last line would be something like "Site Map" to make it more precise as to what the map is about.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:53:16 pm by ShadowOne333 »

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2017, 03:01:36 pm »
xkas-plus code to expand 5+ lines

Code: [Select]
arch snes.cpu; hirom

//$C3/0223 A0 0A 00    LDY #$000A              A:0100 X:0100 Y:0025 P:envmxdIzc

org $c30223

//ldy #$000a
//ldy #$000c
ldy #$000e

//$C3/0253 A0 08 00    LDY #$0008              A:0150 X:0150 Y:0000 P:envmxdIzc

org $c30253

//ldy #$0008
//ldy #$000a
ldy #$000c

//$C3/05CC 69 27 7D    ADC #$7D27              A:0090 X:0012 Y:0003 P:envmXdIzc

org $c305cc

// cursor
//adc #$7d27
//adc #$7d67
adc #$7da7

//$C3/0294 F4 80 02    PEA $0280               A:5FE0 X:0350 Y:0000 P:envmxdIzc

org $c30294

//pea $280
//pea $300
pea $380

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2017, 03:29:35 pm »
Oh nice!
I'm gonna give this a try in a while :)
Thanks, rainponcho!

@DarkSamus993 I found this a long time ago when I first started transcribing the whole text at the very beginning of this project:
Bad Ending translated: http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/snes/c/wreck98.htm
Good ending translated: http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/snes/c/wreck98.htm

Those could server as nice tests for the Story mode text.

Edit:
Just tested out the asm hack by rainponcho, here are the results:

We now have 6 lines to work with :)
(I know, i skipped 2, I can't count it seems)

And here's the IPS patch for easy distribution:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/poe6ie16d1ekh45/7lines.ips?dl=0

EDIT #2
Here's the billboard image translated:

I had to do some sort of custom 8x8 font to fit the whole text into there.
I'm not sure how it'd look better, if maybe centering the "SECRET HIDEOUT UNDER CONSTRUCTION" phrase or just putting it all to the left. I'm open for suggestions regarding word positioning on the billboard.

And here's what I have of "Using bombs" at the moment:

That's as far as the current translations go for the game at the moment :P
I don't have the rest of the Bombs section, nor the rest of the tutorials nor Story text.

Here's a patch for what I have so far as well:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1c337uxtc34abf/TranslationBeta.ips?dl=0
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:58:57 pm by ShadowOne333 »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
I saw you wanted to change the font in one of the earlier posts, this one isnt too bad here - http://www.romhacking.net/fonts/94/

Here is another one - http://www.romhacking.net/fonts/139/

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Those are some i teresting fonts.
I was about to do some changes to the 8x16 font the game uses for the tutorial, but had to put in on hiatus due to eye surgery yesterday, so it'll take some days for me to go back to take a try on the font to take the suggestions made by GHANMI into action and see how well it goes.
I'll also check those two fonts out to see how they end up in game.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Those are some i teresting fonts.
I was about to do some changes to the 8x16 font the game uses for the tutorial, but had to put in on hiatus due to eye surgery yesterday, so it'll take some days for me to go back to take a try on the font to take the suggestions made by GHANMI into action and see how well it goes.
I'll also check those two fonts out to see how they end up in game.

Hope your eye gets better after that. Here is a picture showing the 7th saga font in use -

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Thanks mrrichard999!
It seems like I might have to rest a bit more for a proper recovery, my left eye is almost good and clear, but my right eye has a red spot (normal thing) and I still see blurry with it, so I might have to wait it out a bit more.

In the meanwhile, here's the actual 8x16 font that is being used in the game for the tutorial.
If someone wants to rework it while I'm recoverying, feel free to do so, but rest assured I'll go back to the project once I'm healed :)
Oh and I'm still actively looking for a japanese translator wherever I can, so don't think I'm just sitting it out and just waiting xD

Here's the font:

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
Sorry this took so long, I was trying out some more advanced batch script stuff. :crazy:

[Download Text Dump]: Comes in two varieties - raw & formatted (removed control codes and extra line breaks for easier reading).
[Download Text Tools]: Batch scripts for dumping & inserting text. Please let me know if there's a bug or you can't figure out what to do.

Text insertion test:

I had to clean up the text tables as there were a couple of duplicate entries (punctuation and big+small katakana/hiragana). The asm patches by rainponcho were helpful, though I had to add in some missing code changes.

Also, here's a proper graphical dump of the fonts:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
I feel a little better from my eyes to be back to the project again :)
I still have a somewhat blurry sight on my right eye and have to use sunglasses often but so far, so good.

@DarkSamus993 you really put a lot of work into that!
I managed to get a full, clean dump of the Story and Tutorial text without issues by putting the SFC image in the /games folder.

The only problem I had was when I tried to dump the ROM I've been working on with bare Hex editing.
For some reason, the three tutorial section I translated manually (Bombs, panels and handles) get a dumped file of 1+MB of text, and it all seems like some sort of garbled thing japanese text. Might be due to the pointers being modified manually or something.

Also, two more questions:
  • To start translating one section in particular, do I simply copy the TXT file from /dump/ to /translate/ and then modify it inside /translate/ to the english text?
  • I saw something related to ASM and the text block modification in the ReadMe, does this mean that when I choose the Inject.bat file I will be asked if I want to use 4 or 6 lines for the tutorial text?
Thank you so much for your help DarkSamus, and to the others involved in this.
Next to you guys I feel like nothing more than a simple sprite modder when it comes to hacking. XD

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
The only problem I had was when I tried to dump the ROM I've been working on with bare Hex editing.
For some reason, the three tutorial section I translated manually (Bombs, panels and handles) get a dumped file of 1+MB of text, and it all seems like some sort of garbled thing japanese text. Might be due to the pointers being modified manually or something.
The data bank needs to be changed for those command files (cmd\tutorial). It's currently dumping from the default location (data bank $C3).
#BASE POINTER: $30000

Also, two more questions:
1. To start translating one section in particular, do I simply copy the TXT file from /dump/ to /translate/ and then modify it inside /translate/ to the english text?
2. I saw something related to ASM and the text block modification in the ReadMe, does this mean that when I choose the Inject.bat file I will be asked if I want to use 4 or 6 lines for the tutorial text?
1) Copy all the text files to /translate/ and then modify what you want there.
2) insert_text.bat will ask if you want to use 4,5, or 6 lines for the tutorial text.

I tried to make the process as simple as possible for the end user, but let me know if you can't figure something out. If I have time I might make a quick video to showcase everything.

EDIT:
Here's the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSaN_aCSY1U
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:03:23 pm by DarkSamus993 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
The data bank needs to be changed for those command files (cmd\tutorial). It's currently dumping from the default location (data bank $C3).
#BASE POINTER: $30000
1) Copy all the text files to /translate/ and then modify what you want there.
2) insert_text.bat will ask if you want to use 4,5, or 6 lines for the tutorial text.

I tried to make the process as simple as possible for the end user, but let me know if you can't figure something out. If I have time I might make a quick video to showcase everything.

EDIT:
Here's the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSaN_aCSY1U
I managed to get the dump working properly by changing the $30000 in Handles and Panels to $1E0000 :)
Also, I decided to overwrite the pointers for Bombs back to the $30000 sector because that one's still not finished.

So far everything seems to be working!
I'll go ahead and try to translate the portion of bombs I had previouly with your new tools.

EDIT: Just saw that you posted the video.
I'll take a look at it, thank you!

EDIT #2:
Hey I have one final question, how does the text insertion tool handle pointers?
For example, if I go over the limit of a certain text block, does it automatically repoint the data to another location?
So far I haven't had any issues with the tool, but just wanted to know beforehand :P
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 09:09:03 pm by ShadowOne333 »

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
Hey I have one final question, how does the text insertion tool handle pointers?
For example, if I go over the limit of a certain text block, does it automatically repoint the data to another location?
So far I haven't had any issues with the tool, but just wanted to know beforehand :P

The text pointers are all recalculated. The tutorial text can be any length as long as it ends with the control code {input} which tells the game to wait for a button press before loading the next text pointer.

The story text is quite limited in it's current state:
    - can only display 3 lines of text with 14 characters per line (42 characters max per screen).
    - control code _ will not print the rest of the line, skipping the remaining # of character bytes.
       ex: Simple test.__ = send ReadPos ahead 4 bytes and start printing next line.
    - the font is 16x16, which eats up a lot of screen space.

I'll be poking around the story text routines to see if I can remove these restrictions and if need be, adding a vwf.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
I haven't touched the Story text since my mockup test with the HELLO! at the very first text.
I am still unsure if we can work with that as it is or not without a proper translation. Until we get one we can see what can be done to hopefully avoid the extra work, but if you want to give it a try, I'm all up for it :)

In the meanwhile, I decided to poke a little more with the insertion tool today, and managed to reinsert the Using Bombs text we had so far without issues!

I only stumbled upon a little issue with the second text block in Using panels.
For some reason, the text has FF as the {pause} command in the Hex code, but when the Insertion tool re-inserts this command, it completely ignores everything past the first {pause} and goes straight to the next text block.
For easy referece, it's the second text in "Using blocks", which uses all four font colors in the text.

The text in question is this one inside 03_panels.txt:
#W16($38112)
 {red}パネル{white}には、{pause}{pink}あか{white}、{line}
{pause}{blue}あお{white}、{pause}{green}みどり{white}、{pause}{yellow}きいろ{pause}{white}の{line}
{red}4しょく{white}があります。{input}
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:40:49 am by ShadowOne333 »

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
I stumbled upon a little issue with the second text block in Using panels.
For some reason, the text has FF as the {pause} command in the Hex code, but when the Insertion tool re-inserts this command, it completely ignores everything past the first {pause} and goes straight to the next text block.

I figured out what the problem is. There were some missing text pointers that were not being updated during insertion.
Using Panels:
$83:811B = [8D10]
$83:8129 = [8D17]
$83:8137 = [8D1D]
$83:8143 = [8D24]
$83:814B = [8D29]

Game Rules:
$83:8696 = [9C52]

This issue has been fixed and I will release the updated tools shortly. But first, I want to double check a couple of things and redo the documentation.

TheMajinZenki

• View Profile
Hey, I took a look a the file and seemed short enough, so I took care of the story translation. It's still a bit rough around the edges and needs polishing like puns or a bit more personality for the characters, but it should be accurate.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqmedmfgn4jkedj/Wrecking%20Crew%20%2798.zip?dl=0
Feel free to edit it as you see fit.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:17:47 am by TheMajinZenki »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Hey, I took a look a the file and seemed short enough, so I took care of the story translation. It's still a bit rough around the edges and needs polishing like puns or a bit more personality for the characters, but it should be accurate.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqmedmfgn4jkedj/Wrecking%20Crew%20%2798.zip?dl=0
Feel free to edit it as you see fit.

Oh wow this is amazing!
I wasn't expecting someone to jump aboard and translate the story text just like that :P
Thank you so much!

This will help out a lot to finally finish the game's translation :)
This leaves only a portion of the tutorial text left to be done.
I believe right now both Using handles & Breaking blocks are complete, it's Using bombs and onwards which are missing.

I will take the weekend, and then jump back into it this Monday, I hope I can have at least the Introduction made by then to show off here. :)

As for the credits of the project, this is what I have so far:

• rainponcho: De/compression and tile map tools, pointers and offsets.
  • DarkSamus993: Text data pointers, text dump and text insertion tools.
  • GHANMI: Proper TBL files for both Story and Tutorials, and some tutorial translation.
  • TheMajinZenki: Main Story text translation.
  • Reichu: Data management menu tranlation.

If I am missing someone or a certain contribution by a certain person, please let me know in detail, I'll gladly add whatever stuff I'm missing at the moment, and if I forgot someone, please forgive my foggy memory, I usually have a lot of shit circling in there each second, so spare me a bit :P

Oh and don't worry @DarkSamus993, take your time!
I didn't even notice there were more pointers :p
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:34:05 am by ShadowOne333 »

MachoAlex

• View Profile
Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm really looking forward to this!  :thumbsup:

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Eh, I doubt I've done enough to warrant a thanks, but I'll leave it up to you.

Are you going to translate the cast names from the ending credits?  "Blackey" and "Supanagon" ought to be changed to "Foreman Spike" and "Gotchawrench" to be consistent with the US original.  And it may be appropriate to change the enemy names to something slightly less Japanesey, but maybe that would be taking too many liberties.

There's a full list here:
https://www.mariowiki.com/Wrecking_Crew_%2798
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

TheMajinZenki

• View Profile
I run the game to take a look at the tutorial, so I also translated the tutorial text you dumped.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cmgvd9jkf8qwdv/WreckingCrewTutorial.zip?dl=0
I only added the color tags, since you'd probably have to move words around anyway. Feel free to edit as you see fit.

Good luck with your project!

rainponcho

• View Profile
It's actually ironic and cute. Feels like random members of the forum just gradually chipped in different pieces of the puzzle over time, for variety of reasons.

Maybe a rhdn community project that actually worked out okay. :)

Eh, I doubt I've done enough to warrant a thanks, but I'll leave it up to you.

Spot translation? Script suggestions, tweaks?