News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV The After Years - Rant  (Read 3275 times)

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
  • They actually updated this site. Hallelujah.
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Final Fantasy IV The After Years - Rant
« on: April 26, 2016, 10:48:57 pm »
DISCLAIMER: I love this game and would defend it any day. I'm only here to discuss some of the minor quirks that have always bothered me and that I would definitely fix if I were able to hack this game. Oh and also there are spoilers. So yeah.

1. Non-Nameable Characters
This is something minor that also bothered me in the FF IV DS remake, but it's not too bad. It's just nice to have that added feature :)

2. Class & Ability Names
This, however, still bothers me immensely. Let's start with Ceodore. The game claims him to a, "Red Wings." Okay? But what does that really mean? My point is that it isn't truly a class, but more of a title. He carries after Cecil as a Knight / Paladin. Let's go a bit further, Luca is a "Shop Hand". Okay, what the hell. That's a literal occupation not a class. She is most similar to the Viking class, but given she is a dwarf I'd settle for a Machinist or Engineer. Next up, my favorite character, Leonora. She is defined as an, "Epopt" and while that is true it is once again not a traditional class. She in the end is undoubtedly a Sage given that she can use both Black and White magic. The term Sage is even brought up when Porom explains that Leonora is what Palom has always wanted to be (referring to Tellah). Now we get to the worst offenders of this. Edward is a "Royal." You've got to be kidding me. With that logic half the damn cast is the "Royal" class! How can you not see that he is clearly a Bard! And of course Harley is a "Secretary" which just sounds plain retarded. Given her appearance and abilities she is obviously a Scholar. Lastly, Golbez is a "Lunarian" which isn't too bad compared to the others, however I think Mystic Knight / Magic Knight would have sufficed. Oh also Calca and Brina should have been Dancers not "Dolls."

So on to abilities, most of these are fine, but a few bother me. Firstly, Edge's "Smash and Grab." That sounds so strange and out of place it makes me cringe. And aside from that there is already a name for it, Mug! Luca's "Big Throw" sounds generic, but it's passable. I don't understand why she has Analyze though, that's just a repeat. Harley's "Piercing Sight" could have just been called, Scan or something, but the ability was useless from the start so it doesn't really matter. Cid's "Risk Strike" shares the same problem as Luca's and also wasn't even necessary. The 4 other Ninjas aren't even worth mentioning and as I recall there abilities are all either duplicates or trash anyway.

3. Post Chapter Content
Okay, so why did they have to set a level cap for each chapter? That's stupid. Anyway, the challenge dungeons are fine and some of them are fun, but playing through them 100+ times is not. The problem is that they take a long time to clear and reset each time you enter again. If this wasn't bad enough, the treasures at the end contain some rare items you cannot findanywhere else in the game, but when you open the chest it is random! As a completionist this made me rip my hair out. 95% of the time you are going to get a Potion. Really. There should have been a set amount of times you had to clear it to attain each rare item. That would have solved it entirely.

4. The Final Chapter
This is my least favorite part of the game and I actually enjoyed very little of it. It starts out alright, you just fly around the world linking all the tales together before reuniting at Baron. But after that it is all downhill. One thing that I have to give credit for first is the ability to make your own party with any 5 characters. I absolutely love that.

So first problem, you can't return back to Earth once you reach the moon. What. Why. Was there any good reason for this? No. The issue with this is that there are several items such as tails, adamantite, and apples / soma drops that can't be found on the moon! What the hell?!

Second problem, the last dungeon itself. I actually legitimately hate this part of the game. It is not fun. It is not enjoyable. It is boring and goes on for way to long. It's not even that hard, but it takes FOREVER. You go through 50+ floors just fighting all the major bosses from FF I - VI. It is horrible. By the end you are just hoping that it will be over.

Final problem, post game content. Oh wait, that's right. THERE ISN'T ANY. You are stuck on the damn moon with nothing left to do but EXP. And if you haven't collected all rare items from the previous chapters guess what, you can't 100% the game now. Unless you replay the whole thing again. Jesus Christ. At the very least there could have been a SINGLE bonus dungeon or something like Gladiator's Hall in FFD where you could obtain the ultimate weapons and max out your party in adamantite armor. That was awesome.

So... yea. I guess that's it!

April 26, 2016, 10:55:10 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
One other thing I forgot to mention! Kain never should have become a Holy Dragoon. That made no sense. Now don't get me wrong, I really like his arc where he also has to overcome his dark side. That's a passable motivation. What isn't passable however is his transformation. He becomes a "Holy Dragoon". Really. Really. No. That's dumb. It made sense when Cecil transformed from a Dark Knight into a Paladin, but this is just idiotic. And they even had the nerve to give yet another character White Magic. With that kind of logic any class can become "holy" and acquire White Magic. Holy Summoner? Sure. Holy Scholar? Why not.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:55:10 pm by linkncb16 »
Final Fantasy Redux is complete! Download

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV The After Years - Rant
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 06:47:15 pm »
Yep, you basically laid out all the reasons I quit playing that game at around the FFIII bosses on the moon.   :banghead:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 10:48:44 pm »
And speaking about ninja characters, Edge wasn't a good playable character to begin with. His throw command was nothing special, his ninja magic is useless other than Smoke and Steal wasn't that useful to begin with. Golbez was the best playable character in The After Years. He has very powerful black magic and had Pressure that made random encounter battles easier. We finally get to see a fully playable Black Mage Golbez. However, they were only in flashbacks.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 11:07:39 pm »
It really is a shame that there's no postgame in After Years, because I love the postgame that came up on GBA/PSP's version of FFIV.  Nearly every time you went into the Lunar Ruins there was something new to find.

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 10:32:19 am »
And speaking about ninja characters, Edge wasn't a good playable character to begin with. His throw command was nothing special, his ninja magic is useless other than Smoke and Steal wasn't that useful to begin with. Golbez was the best playable character in The After Years. He has very powerful black magic and had Pressure that made random encounter battles easier. We finally get to see a fully playable Black Mage Golbez. However, they were only in flashbacks.

That's really true. So many new characters and abilities were only added so that the game could have enough new content to be considered a new game as opposed to some kind of expansion. And don't even get me started on the parts of the game where you had generic guard/mage/monk companions just to make that section easier. There were very few characters I actually deemed useful in the final chapter so creating a powerful party gave me fairly limited options.

It really is a shame that there's no postgame in After Years, because I love the postgame that came up on GBA/PSP's version of FFIV.  Nearly every time you went into the Lunar Ruins there was something new to find.
Exactly! Even a single dungeon can provide so much more content and playability! What they could have done was make an entirely different final dungeon that wasn't as tedious and repetitive then added the FF I-VI content post game in an extra dungeon(s).

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:59:15 pm »
HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

...Sorry. I've been pretty stressed lately.

I refuse to even touch it; read a plot synopsis and no. thank. you. sirs.

I hate to be so minimalistic; I loved FF4. But the story just doesn't do the original any justice at all.

And well...once you've been to the moon, there's really nowhere else to go is there (if you'll pardon the unintentional juxtaposition)? I mean, unless you want to go to other planets (that's Phantasy Star) or other dimensions (That's FFIII, V, IX and DQVI), or actually into the depths of a person's mind (FFVII), or heck, straight into the pits of hell itself, or up into the heavens (FFII and Dawn of Souls).

FFIV TAY came along at a time when the series had been just about everywhere it could go, and really, it's hard to deal with that level of ultimate badness of the raddest cadabrest highest flyest order.

Tough show to follow, Final Fantasy.

Splatter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 02:42:33 am »
The story's the aspect of The After Years I like with the fewest reservations. It's probably better than FF4's, though obviously is dependent on that game for setting up the characters.

once you've been to the moon, there's really nowhere else to go

We've been to the moon in 1969. I have a hunch it's still possible to wrangle a story out of planet Earth.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 01:00:10 am »
Ye we went to the moon and never went back. I guess there wasn't much to see.

What is DQVI? Dragon Quest 6? What system is that on?

I'd like to know what are the best Final Fantasy games on SNES for whenever I decide to get into that console a couple years from now. Guess I could just go look it up on the internet. Doesn't it go FF III, IV, V & VI or something like that?
Come with me if you want to live.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 01:11:05 am »
I'd like to know what are the best Final Fantasy games on SNES for whenever I decide to get into that console a couple years from now.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 05:49:50 am »
FF4 5 and 6 are solid choices. Mystic Quest is a your milage may very game: it's very oversimplified, but that in turn gives it a uniqueness that hasn't really been copied or imitated.

You can also kill the final boss with a cure spell if you wish. That's a plus in my opinion because it's goddamned hilarious.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 11:11:02 am »
Ye we went to the moon and never went back. I guess there wasn't much to see.

What is DQVI? Dragon Quest 6? What system is that on?

I'd like to know what are the best Final Fantasy games on SNES for whenever I decide to get into that console a couple years from now. Guess I could just go look it up on the internet. Doesn't it go FF III, IV, V & VI or something like that?
Final Fantasy I, II, and III are all NES titles. IV, V, and VI are for the SNES. However IV was released in America as II and VI was released as III to prevent confusion.

May 03, 2016, 11:12:46 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
America got FFMQ instead of FF5 because Japan thought JRPGs were too difficult for us.

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 12:21:51 pm »
FFMQ is plenty difficult if you rush through. That's how you're supposed to play the game, after all: like a ninja. ;)
A good slave does not realize he is one; the best slave will not accept that he has become one.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 12:49:58 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tj_CsCt6vY

MQ is mildly difficult, in fact. I wouldn't call it Contra, but it certainly makes you think a couple times. Just not as much, or as often. :D

But man, and I always say this, the MUSIC is just dynamite.