News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)  (Read 74805 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Re: Super Pitfall NES (improvements)
« Reply #400 on: September 13, 2016, 07:48:19 pm »
Thank goodness, I was about to to start a hack of this hack to prove the point that no one else cares about this debate.  ;)

Now I can go back to playing it!  :D

Doo, doo, doo doo doooo~
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Fisher

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 28, 2016, 07:39:50 pm »
Great work man!!
This patch really rocks!!

Not trying to annoy you, but... would be possible to achieve the same thing with the original game's mapper?
I ask this because it would make it easy to just get the original game and change it's ROM with the patched one.
AFAIK, the original game is UNROM and it should be possible to add battery backup RAM to it, but it's unnoficial, and is documented here: https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/PRG_RAM_circuit

Thanks in advance!! 

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #402 on: November 29, 2016, 03:47:56 am »
Hey there, I'm glad you liked it!
That's a really interesting topic, but I don't understand much of the information on that page. It seems to require hardware modification to the cartridge circuit board that goes beyond the addition of the battery wiring, so it wouldn't be as simple as replacing the ROM. Alternatives for accessibility are always welcome though, so that'd be good.

To answer your question, yes, the hack was all made on the original mapper and the conversion was done only because of the save feature, so it is probably possible to revert it and follow through with the instructions on those pages to get the hack to work with battery save on a modification of the original board. I'm super focused on the production of my next game now, so I can't go back to hack work for the moment. I may revisit this game in the future, and that'd be a perfect time to take a look at this, among other things. I guess if an experienced hacker wanted to do it himself I could help with some guidance.

TheCardiganKing

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 29, 2016, 06:32:14 pm »
nesrocks, thanks for the amazing overhaul. You took (in my opinion) an otherwise unplayable/extremely dated game and made it into something I couldn't put down. Even my girlfriend became obsessed with it! The hacks of this decade are on another level than ever before. People like you are really pushing the limits of the old NES and you're actually putting art into these games that were largely made just by programmers. People like you want me to get into hacking. I have a fine art background in painting and drawing, but you guys make me want delve into pixel art and revamp a game.

kpe

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 30, 2016, 11:31:14 pm »
Great work man!!
This patch really rocks!!

Not trying to annoy you, but... would be possible to achieve the same thing with the original game's mapper?
I ask this because it would make it easy to just get the original game and change it's ROM with the patched one.
AFAIK, the original game is UNROM and it should be possible to add battery backup RAM to it, but it's unnoficial, and is documented here: https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/PRG_RAM_circuit

Thanks in advance!!
Just easier stick them on new board ...an since i see couple these online can i stick game on cart  nesrocks?   games are on me no charge these ass hats prolly didt even ask
[ Removed link ]

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:20:27 pm by KingMike »

releasethedogs

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 01, 2016, 05:32:13 am »
Let's report these assholes.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #406 on: December 01, 2016, 07:51:42 am »
That ebay one is using the label that I made for John Riggs, who was the only person to ask me if he could sell repros and how. That seller does not seem to be him.
I don't want this to turn into another discussion, I'm just going to say what I think about my hack: if you want to sell a repro cart do not modify the rom. And give full credit to the people involved in the making of the hack. Those guidelines are for my hack, and I know most people hate the idea of someone selling hacks, so to anyone reading this, PLEASE contact the author to get permission, and if the author denies it please respect that.

TheCardiganKing: Your comment made my day! I recommend you hack a NES game once, it's quite an experience.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 04, 2016, 11:19:20 am »
I'll just leave this NSF here...

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Super Pitfall II v14.nsf

I can send the famitracker file if nesrocks ever gets around to getting a new sound engine.

kpe

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 05, 2016, 05:05:20 pm »
--nuked--

Mod note: Even with permission, we really don't want people discussing / offering / soliciting reproduction carts publicly on the forums. If you must, stick to private messages or use another communication platform.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:46:19 am by MathOnNapkins »

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 30, 2016, 01:29:32 am »
I'll just leave this NSF here...

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Super Pitfall II v14.nsf

I can send the famitracker file if nesrocks ever gets around to getting a new sound engine.

Here's a fixed URL ... Still waiting on whether NesRocks has the time to make a new music engine for it though

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #410 on: December 31, 2016, 12:49:26 pm »
What can I say... I'm really digging some of your improved tunes. I'm usually not a fan of effects, but you used them to add to the songs, so that's great. In some tunes it is my personal taste that it was overused, but I don't think that was the rule. For example, I'm as much a fan of Capcom's NES tunes as Tim Follin's. Regardless, I think you have total liberty to do the songs however you like to. I'm very grateful for all the work you did on this project.

About the sound engine, I would love to redo it. It would be one hell of a fun thing to learn. It is one thing to write game logic, but writing a sound engine is a much more complex task. Right now I need to focus on my PC game, but as I stated before, if opportunity arises I definitely want to go back to hacking a NES game. If such game is Super Pitfall or another one, that will depend entirely on my interest then.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 31, 2016, 06:09:43 pm »
I agree. The arp on a couple of the tracks is a bit overpowering and loud, but it is cool over all.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 04, 2017, 12:30:20 am »
The arps on the main theme completely ruin the song, I'm sorry to say. Way too loud, almost never in key... they just sound awful. The point of arpeggios is to make it sound like more than one note is being played at a time, not to make silly warbling noises for the sake of it. Games like... just about any 8-bit game the Follin brothers did the soundtrack for and and the GBC Shantae are good examples of what arpeggios should sound like.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 05, 2017, 01:58:34 pm »
The arps on the main theme completely ruin the song, [...] they just sound awful.
Thank you.

I agree. The arp on a couple of the tracks is a bit overpowering and loud, but it is cool over all.
Newer version

Kosayn

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 05, 2017, 02:48:02 pm »
Just want to say thanks for an awesome hack. 

I rented this game as a kid, many times.  It's fun to play it again in this form.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 07, 2017, 01:55:29 am »
Newer version
[/quote]

Much improved. Track 7 still feels overpowered, though.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 07, 2017, 09:23:59 am »
You didn't fix the core problem with the arps. They're not as loud as they were before, but they're still horribly out-of-key with the rest of the song.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 07, 2017, 02:14:17 pm »
You didn't fix the core problem with the arps. They're not as loud as they were before, but they're still horribly out-of-key with the rest of the song.

I don't usually use arps, and I'm not a fan of covers, guess it shows... Could I PM you a download link to the original famitracker file so you can make modification to your hearts content? I do appreciate your feedback.

EDIT: i see what you mean now... I should make the arps have a progression instead of just having them be there for the sake of it.

January 07, 2017, 04:16:33 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Apparently ... I did this on purpose because the instruments are set to be off-key...

Anyway ... here's a newer version, one version with the arps on pitch, the other not. The title theme was changed to a new in-progress song that sounds like heavy metal song. The main theme's arps were changed and the ending song's arp volume was adjusted.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:16:33 pm by FCandChill »

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 08, 2017, 09:17:55 am »
You could give me the nsf, yes, or I could compose an original cover of the theme to show you what I mean.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 08, 2017, 12:12:22 pm »
You could give me the nsf, yes, or I could compose an original cover of the theme to show you what I mean.

Don't you mean ftm? Anyway ... whichever you prefer.