News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Front Mission 2 (PSX) missing translation request.  (Read 3931 times)

reyvgm

• View Profile
Front Mission 2 (PSX) missing translation request.
« on: December 14, 2015, 07:53:40 pm »
I understand Front Mission 2 is already translated, however, the translation team was not able to insert a bunch of stuff, for which they have provided a text document with all the translations that didn't make it into the game. Unfortunately, they did not include the translations for the cutscenes, and instead relegated them to youtube videos... which no longer exist.

I was wondering if anyone could translate the text in this cutscene. I'm sure there has to be a Japanese site with a transcript of this hard to read text, but I couldn't find one. Anyway, I took screenshots of the text (or here's a youtube video of the cutscene https://youtu.be/BF945xlTS-k?t=3m38s )

Seihen

• View Profile
Re: Front Mission 2 (PSX) missing translation request.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 01:23:50 am »
Here ya go! Note that I know NOTHING about FM II, so you'll need to confirm the names of people, their titles, etc. on your own. I combined sentences together across multiple screens where a screen-by-screen translation wouldn't make sense.

Screen 1:
2102年7月1日AM10:00
OCUオーストラリア
首都キャンベラ

July 1, 2102 – 10:00AM
Canberra, the capital of
OCU Australia

Screen 2:
OCU国防省は、6月26日に起こった世界的
な軍事衛星ジャック事件が、

Screen 3:
13日にアロルデシュ人民共和国で発生した
クーデター軍によって

Screen 4:
打ち上げられた人工衛星に
よるものであると発表しましたが、

The OCU National Defense Ministry announced that the worldwide incident of the hijacking of a military satellite on June 26 was done by the satellite launched on the 13th by the coup d’etat forces coming out of the People's Republic of Alordesh.

Screen 5:
アロルデシュの政府代行委員会の責任者の
サリバシュ=ラブラ氏は、これを否定、

Screen 6:
今回の事件が全てOCU軍による謀略の結果
であると公言しました。

However, Saribash Labra, the representative chairman of the Alordesh government, denies this and announce that the entire incident was the result of a plot by the OCU military.

Screen 7:
謀略の詳細については、ラブラ氏が今日にも
記者会見を行う予定ですが、

Screen 8:
OCU側はラブラ氏が正式な
アロルデシュ代表ではないことを強調、

Screen 9:
同氏の発言の正当性を否定する考えで、
事態はさらに混乱を深める模様です。

Mr. Labra intends to hold a press conference today regarding the details of the plot, though OCU insists that Mr. Labra is not the official representative of Alordesh and deny the official standing of his claims, making the situation all the more convoluted.

Screen 10:
それでは、クーデター事件終結から
8日経った、

Screen 11:
アロルデシュの首都ダカより
パンスタイン記者からのレポートを・・・

Eight days have passed since the end of the coup d’etat incident, and reports will be coming in from Panstain reporters from Dhaka, the capital of Alordesh.

Screen 12:
フェンリル計画に関する所見。

サリバシュ=ラブラの記者発表に対応する工作はすでに開始していますが、フェンリル計画については、連合国防省に残るわずかな証拠を全て消去し、永久に凍結することを希望いたします。

Opinions on Project FENRIR

The machinations for dealing with Saribash Labra’s announcements to the press are already in motion. However, I’m hoping to eliminate all information concerning Project FENRIR that remains with the Unified National Defense Ministry and lock it away forever.

Screen 13:
計画を結果的に失敗に追い込んだ情報部士官を含む12名については引き続き動向を監視しますが、長官の希望される方法での処分は拒否いたします。

以上。

発、OCU陸防軍情報2部
パン=チャンジャン

宛 連合国防省
ペレス=カリブリエル長官殿

I will continue to monitor the movements of the 12 officers of the Information Division which ultimately drove the project to failure, but I reject the disposal method requested by the Director.

That is all.

Second Information Division, OCU Ground Defense Force

To:  Director Perth Caliburiel
Unified National Defense Ministry
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:12:17 am by Seihen »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:33:27 pm »
Thanks Seihen. For someone that doesn't know anything about FM you surely nailed the names :P

By the way, could you verify this?
On the text doc provided with the translation, it says that this scene translates to this:

Pike:
I might have to ask you guys to take the stand as witnesses.
I know all this is a lot to ask, but make sure the OCU gets a chance to take you out.

But the bolded part doesn't sound right. The OCU are the bad guys, so I think it should read "but make sure the OCU doesn't get a chance to take you out." Would that be right?

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 06:18:14 pm »
Yeah, looks like they're missing a word. And added in some words.

Pike:
君たちも、いずれ証人台に立ってもらうこともあるかもしれないが、
その時までOCUに殺されたりしないようにな。

Pike:
I may need to ask you all to take the witness stand for me someday,
so try to not get killed by the OCU before then, huh?

---

Basically, they probably meant to put a negative somewhere in there and missed it in editing, e.g. "...make sure the OCU DOESN'T get a chance..." or something like that.
For localization I don't really care and I firmly believe text SHOULD be re-written for a more natural feel for the native audience, but just for the sake of nitpicking, it's also worth noting that there's nothing like the "I know this is a lot to ask..." line in the Japanese (see the translation above).

Randomly, I'm 99% positive this Pike fella is based on the titular character of the old TV show Columbo. =p He's a dead ringer.
Also, the show is ridiculously popular in Japan. Funny, 'cause I never even know it existed when I grew up in America and hear about it all the time here in Japan.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:28:02 pm by Seihen »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 11:19:32 pm »
Thanks for the translation and desire for accuracy.

Could you take a look a this line you wrote? There's a part where it doesn't make sense:
"Eight days have passed since the end of the coup d’etat incident, and reports will be coming in from Panstain / reporters from Dhaka, the capital of Alordesh."

It seems like there's something missing to connect those two lines.

As for Columbo, if you're interested, the guys over at Hardcore Gaming 101 have a "tracing the influence" article trying to determine where the portraits/drawings/boxarts from game characters might come from. It's really interesting and you might be able to figure out some too.
http://hg101.proboards.com/thread/9643/tracing-influence-stolen-images-games?page=1

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 01:40:20 am by reyvgm »

Euclid

• View Profile
    • Parallel Worlds
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 06:41:52 am »
I think he meant "and reports will be coming in by Panstain reporters from Dhaka, the capital of Alordesh."

Panstain reporters are delivering reports from Dhaka on the opinions of the project from the coup which happened 8 days ago - that's the literal meaning from what I can gather of that sentence spanning 3 screens.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 12:40:59 pm »
That sounds about right, thanks!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:50:22 pm by reyvgm »

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 11:35:11 pm »
Exactly right! I wasn't sure if Panstain was supposed to be a country (Palestine? Pakistan?) or a news agency, so I just left it vague.
A more readable rewrite could be:

"...and Panstain reporters will be reporting from Dhaka, the capital of Alordesh."

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 04:20:11 pm »
Since people keep private messaging me about the translation text file that cannot be found, I'll leave this here:

1) I do not know where to get the patch. Google it and it should appear. My guess is that if the original authors didn't want the patch distributed here, then they probably wouldn't want a link in the forums either, even though the group and their website are dead. If a mod here wants to post a link, then go ahead.

2) The text file with the additional translation that was not inserted in the game was not included in the patch, it was instead hosted on the group's site. So, since they are dead, I don't think it would cause any harm to post it here. Credit goes to Starscream who was able to find it (I don't know where) and rehost it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8763718/front_mission_second_script.txt

*Edit*
Actually, that text file is probably not even from the original team, since their text file didn't contain the translation for the FMVs, and instead where done via youtube videos (now removed). But this text file does include the FMV translations, so.

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 12:14:42 pm »
Some clarification: I found the script file on a non-English site I can't remember. The dropbox link isn't mine.

I've uploaded the text file also to my gavitex account so it's possible to download it here:

http://gavitex.com/share/nmhepuz5m